Is it just me, or does a ONE console future starting to look more likely?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I am not your pal, mate. People are complaining that there would be a lack of competition and I believe that the opposite would be the case and now you are complaining that the competition would actually be too much?Hexagon_777

im not your mate, folk. oh ok i have to rephrase, what i meant is games like forza, killzone...etcwouldn't exist if there was only one console, im against you on this point, competition would decrease when a unified console is born, actually hardware companies like Sony and MS would close much of their studios and the games they produce might be of lower quality, look at Sega for proof.

I am not your folk, dude. Competition would increase. With console manufacturers out of the question, every developer and every publisher would be on one system. They would all be on the same turf. Sony and Microsoft may close their studios, they may not. Just because they don't sell hardware anymore doesn't meant they don't wish to make profit from the software they sell. Even if closed, other publishers and developers will wish to capture the available talent that is now on the market.

Im not you dud.... ok it's getting old now :P

You said it yourself, "maybe they close", I don't think it is a maybe to be frank, it is a must because the parent company wouldn't allow the same budget for SCE or MGS meaning the talents behind such awesome titles would vanish and be separated and each individual may go to different third party developers so the same creative vision from the old team ( say Team ICO from Sony get to go to two-three different third party developers ) wouldn't be the same, that is a decrease from competition and creativity.

Again I point out to you that some studios and talents wouldn't even exist and even if they existed they wouldn't have the same vision or projects under different publishers or developers.

Do you really think Bungie or Polyphony could have the same creative freedom if they were third party developers? or should I say the same success they had?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]im not your mate, folk. oh ok i have to rephrase, what i meant is games like forza, killzone...etcwouldn't exist if there was only one console, im against you on this point, competition would decrease when a unified console is born, actually hardware companies like Sony and MS would close much of their studios and the games they produce might be of lower quality, look at Sega for proof.HAZE-Unit
I am not your folk, dude. Competition would increase. With console manufacturers out of the question, every developer and every publisher would be on one system. They would all be on the same turf. Sony and Microsoft may close their studios, they may not. Just because they don't sell hardware anymore doesn't meant they don't wish to make profit from the software they sell. Even if closed, other publishers and developers will wish to capture the available talent that is now on the market.

You said it yourself, "maybe they close", I don't think it is a maybe to be frank, it is a must because the parent company wouldn't allow the same budget for SCE or MGS meaning the talents behind such awesome titles would vanish and be separated and each individual may go to different third party developers so the same creative vision from the old team ( say Team ICO from Sony get to go to two-three different third party developers ) wouldn't be the same, that is a decrease from competition and creativity.

Again I point out to you that some studios and talents wouldn't even exist and even if they existed they wouldn't have the same vision or projects under different publishers or developers.

Do you really think Bungie or Polyphony could have the same creative freedom if they were third party developers? or should I say the same success they had?

Let us agree to disagree. When I see the positive effects of something, you will see the negative effects, and vice versa. I could certainly argue the opposite case to all of your points but why bother?

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts
Another reason why I can see a one console future is becaus of DD (Didgital Distribution). I know physcial copies aren't going anywhere time soon, but game companies sure don't like losing money to used game sales. Consoles may not have to anywhere for something like this to happen, but it feels like a step in that direction...
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I am not your folk, dude. Competition would increase. With console manufacturers out of the question, every developer and every publisher would be on one system. They would all be on the same turf. Sony and Microsoft may close their studios, they may not. Just because they don't sell hardware anymore doesn't meant they don't wish to make profit from the software they sell. Even if closed, other publishers and developers will wish to capture the available talent that is now on the market.Hexagon_777

Let us agree to disagree. When I see the positive effects of something, you will see the negative effects, and vice versa. I could certainly argue the opposite case to all of your points but why bother?

yea maybe we agree to disagree haha but it was a good chat :)

Linkin guy raises another good point though Im not starting anything else but just saying :P

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]It's just you.linkin_guy109
this is the correct answer, having only one console would create a monopoly where publishers would be more likely to try the crap that activision has been doing, higher game prices, pricier dlc, and annual game releases, what exactly could you do about it if there was only one console? absolutely nothing, i mean you could go the pc gaming route but still....

Incorrect. With all developers being concentrated on one platform, competition would be massive. There would be a plethora of games to choose from with prices varying to attract the consumers' attention, and so on. How does having more than one console affect the way publishers price a multiplatform game? The very fact that you mentioned publishers (plural) means that there never can be a monopoly unless they all got together to discuss prices which would result in a cartel, which is illegal.

HAZE-Unit, don't say anything! :x

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#56 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

No. Suprised you see it that way in this time period. All 3 consoles are viable and selling a ton. I think its more likely we see a 4th console then just 1.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20182 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="IAMSERIAL"]

I never said ME2 lol. Keep failing bro.

IAMSERIAL
Yup, you sure didn't...

I just said Mass Effect. Damn, why do I constantly win here it's too easy?

Sup Seekar!
NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 NiteLights
Member since 2010 • 1181 Posts

Nah, just you bro. There will probably always be 2 - 3 Consoles.

destro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 destro123
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

I would like to say "yes, it most definatly is" but I doubt there ever will be. People are just to greedy.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 iammason

No. Suprised you see it that way in this time period. All 3 consoles are viable and selling a ton. I think its more likely we see a 4th console then just 1.

SpideR_CentS
Yeah they may be selling a ton, but if things keep going multi-plat, and digitally distributed, people will care less about exclusives I think, and who know how the next platforms will handle distributing their games. Xbox Live allready has a HUGE selection of full retail game availble on the marketplace, and Sony they may be interested in it since they released game like Warhwak, and recently inFamous on PSN. I think it would just be a matter of time (long time though) before we get our games from just one source.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

It will never happen. 2 systems seem the best imo. Why do we need a 360 and a PS3 when the only real difference is first party games ? Everything else is just a bunch of 3rd party stuff.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

Don't worry, is just you.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 iammason

madsnakehhh
I'm not worried, it seems some people share my opinion as well, which is nice. P.S. Love the sig
ThugKing6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ThugKing6669
Member since 2008 • 725 Posts

Honestly, I hope so. And the sooner the better. I think it would help to get a lot more people into gaming than there already are. It costs too much money to buy multiple systems, especially when buying one system that costs we'll say on average $300 (this is just an example) for only one or two exclusives. I don't know where everyone is getting this one system = no competition nonsense from either. Gaming is driven by the software, not the hardware. Granted we need the hardware to play. But the choice one makes of what hardware to get, for a gamer, is what games are going to be on the system. Competition will still exist, and I think the competition would be firecer honestly. A one system world is a dream come true if you ask this gamer. Besides, if we only had to spend money on one system, we could buy more games lol. Hopefully the PC becomes this one system eventually, but I don't see it happening unless technology stops advancing every couple months.

thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="IAMSERIAL"]

I never said ME2 lol. Keep failing bro.

IAMSERIAL

Yup, you sure didn't...

I just said Mass Effect. Damn, why do I constantly win here it's too easy?

We shall see who is the true winner once you are banned. ;)

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

iammason

I'm not worried, it seems some people share my opinion as well, which is nice. P.S. Love the sig

I think that we never see this happening because of Nintendo, they will set apart from everybody else, just like they did this gen, giving us 2 consoles.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

I've been saying a single unified format is the future. Maybe something like video players or tvs are now, with a basic standard that anyone can make their own tv based on that standard. I still think it's coming inevitably. It might even just be your tv that becomes this single format with services like OnLive and the basic hardware built straight into all new tvs. Its just makes far too much sense not to eventually happen.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]No. Suprised you see it that way in this time period. All 3 consoles are viable and selling a ton. I think its more likely we see a 4th console then just 1.iammason
Yeah they may be selling a ton, but if things keep going multi-plat, and digitally distributed, people will care less about exclusives I think, and who know how the next platforms will handle distributing their games. Xbox Live allready has a HUGE selection of full retail game availble on the marketplace, and Sony they may be interested in it since they released game like Warhwak, and recently inFamous on PSN. I think it would just be a matter of time (long time though) before we get our games from just one source.

They put LittleBigPlanet on PSN as well recently.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

No chance in hell. Even if all of the current competitors dropped out, new ones would replace them. This market generates too much money, no one is gonna let just one company collect them.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Hexagon_777

Honestly, I hope so. And the sooner the better. I think it would help to get a lot more people into gaming than there already are. It costs too much money to buy multiple systems, especially when buying one system that costs we'll say on average $300 (this is just an example) for only one or two exclusives. I don't know where everyone is getting this one system = no competition nonsense from either. Gaming is driven by the software, not the hardware. Granted we need the hardware to play. But the choice one makes of what hardware to get, for a gamer, is what games are going to be on the system. Competition will still exist, and I think the competition would be firecer honestly. A one system world is a dream come true if you ask this gamer. Besides, if we only had to spend money on one system, we could buy more games lol. Hopefully the PC becomes this one system eventually, but I don't see it happening unless technology stops advancing every couple months.ThugKing6669
You understand what I have been saying. :cry: