Is it just me, or does a ONE console future starting to look more likely?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

A few years back, before Too Human came out and was being hyped to ridiculous proportions, Dennis Dyack of Silicon Knights went to say that in the future, there will probably only be one console...

After recent events, such as Portal 2 and just announced Mass Effect 2 for PS3, it seems more developers are going multiplatform. Do you see where I'm going with this? What if Dennis was right? Didn't Kojima say something similar as well? Not to mention services like Steam, or OnLive. Perhaps maybe the one console future will just be PC gaming?

Also, Activision went on to say how they wish they could put a subscription on their Call of Duty because they look at Xbox Live and say that about 60% of Live subscribers are playing the series. That want their share obviously, and said they would like to really push people to buy the PC version since you could essentially just hook up a game pad to your computer and hook up your computer to your living room TV. Then they could slap on the subscription fee that's been rumored for ages now.

What are your thought of a one console future?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

It's just you.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

No, there will be at least two consoles.

But I gotta be honest, it seems to me that MS is slowly leaving the console market at least for the core crowd.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

People have been saying it, but it likely won't happen due to the big 3 not wanting to give up their positions (unless they have to).

Plus, it would be awful and would kill competition.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iammason
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

But I gotta be honest, it seems to me that MS is slowly leaving the console market at least for the core crowd.

I don't know, looks like they are ready to support PC a lot now, what with Age of Empire, Flight Sim, and even Fable 3 coming to PC. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Reach found its way to PC...
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

do people remember why videogame consoles were even born? they were born so the average family or person could relax in their living room and play some videogames, so that you and your friends can all have fun on one tv. I just don't see it going anywhere those services you said onlive and steam or geared mroe for the hardcore folks but regular people don't have gaming rigs

x_xion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 x_xion_
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

thats just you man

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iammason

thats just you man

x_xion_
:( Now I feel silly for making this thread... No one agrees :cry:
x_xion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 x_xion_
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

[QUOTE="x_xion_"]

thats just you man

iammason

you should man i mean all console are great idk why people are always saying one is better they all have there pros and cons

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts
a one standard/many console future is more likely. i can see 3rd parties putting the foot down and saying "we demand x,y and Z and if you dont have that then we wont support your console". 3rd parties have that kind of clout now and they dont want to be spending lots of time and money on awkward architecturs and getting their games working on vastly different hardware. so itll be more like PCs (where games are mostly hardware agnostic) or the dvd/blu ray player market.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

People have been saying it, but it likely won't happen due to the big 3 not wanting to give up their positions (unless they have to).

Plus, it would be awful and would kill competition.

lundy86_4

Yep we need 3 consoles to keep up the competition...if not gaming could turn to much into a monopoly. Plus I honestly don't think any of the big 3 are in any position to leave.

I mean Sony is finally picking up the slack...starting to make money and announcing exclusive after exclusive for the PS3.

Nintendo...well Nintendo is gaming...(even though nowadays I find many of their games lackluster and sub-par, but I digress thats beside the point), Nintendo leaving the industry would be shocking and sad, oh and the Wii has probably given Nintendo other problems...such as where to store all their money.

Then MS...everyone wants to write them off now that the PS3 just gained Mass Effect 2, not to mention the PS3's continuous supply of new exclusives. Looking at things from a SW perspective things are very bad for MS...but from a business perspective...why would they leave now? Theres still a very good chance they will finish this gen ahead of Sony in sales...compared to last generation when they were literally 100m+ units behind. Seems like a victory to me.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="x_xion_"]

thats just you man

iammason

Eh...you started a good discussion at the very least.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

no i don't think so, as long as they are selling alot.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iammason
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="iammason"][QUOTE="x_xion_"]

thats just you man

Eh...you started a good discussion at the very least.

*sniff*... thank you:). Anyways, it's not like I want there to be only one console. Yes, competition usually creates innovation. But this argument has been around for quite a while now, along with some big names saying it could be likely. Who knows though, right? It could happen 20, hell 50 years from now. I personally don't think it will happen soon, but yes I believe it to be a definite possibilty.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
LOL i dont know you be talking 'bout, but the PS3 be on fire, the 360 dun goof'ed
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Yep we need 3 consoles to keep up the competition...if not gaming could turn to much into a monopoly. Plus I honestly don't think any of the big 3 are in any position to leave.

I mean Sony is finally picking up the slack...starting to make money and announcing exclusive after exclusive for the PS3.

Nintendo...well Nintendo is gaming...(even though nowadays I find many of their games lackluster and sub-par, but I digress thats beside the point), Nintendo leaving the industry would be shocking and sad, oh and the Wii has probably given Nintendo other problems...such as where to store all their money.

Then MS...everyone wants to write them off now that the PS3 just gained Mass Effect 2, not to mention the PS3's continuous supply of new exclusives. Looking at things from a SW perspective things are very bad for MS...but from a business perspective...why would they leave now? Theres still a very good chance they will finish this gen ahead of Sony in sales...compared to last generation when they were literally 100m+ units behind. Seems like a victory to me.

TacticalDesire

Exactly. I think for once, each company is in a position to stick it out, as well as be somewhat financially successful. Sony is in the lesser position and they've done a lot this gen in terms of catching up.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20126 Posts

Will be 3 consoles for a while. then 2. There will never be 1.

Post #3000 WOOT!

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TacticalDesire

Post #3000 WOOT!

Zero_epyon

Grats lol!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20126 Posts

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

Post #3000 WOOT!

TacticalDesire

Grats lol!

Thanks!
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

lundy86_4

Exactly. I think for once, each company is in a position to stick it out, as well as be somewhat financially successful. Sony is in the lesser position and they've done a lot this gen in terms of catching up.

Yep, the only logic I can think of is if MS suddenly decides to go back to pure PC...which they won't not with Kinect and everything else...or if Sony wants to go back to just selling TVs which wouldn't make alot of sense with their 3D TV+PS3 push.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I wouldn't mind at all. That way all the competition would focus on games instead of similar hardware systems. The competition would be even fiercer since developers cannot hide behind hardware manufacturers anymore.

deadesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deadesa
Member since 2005 • 1706 Posts
A single console future would be bleak. Without competition we would never have price cuts, no real attempts at advancement, the gaming industry would stagnate. Even worse than it already is :x
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

iammason

I don't know, looks like they are ready to support PC a lot now, what with Age of Empire, Flight Sim, and even Fable 3 coming to PC. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Reach found its way to PC...

Ya, that's what I'm saying. It looks like they just want 360 mainly for the casual/kinect crowd. Hopefully I'm wrong and they have a **** load of awesome games in the works that we don't know about.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HAZE-Unit

I wouldn't mind at all. That way all the competition would focus on games instead of similar hardware systems. The competition would be even fiercer since developers cannot hide behind hardware manufacturers anymore.

Hexagon_777

do you know how many games and studios wouldn't even exist if there wasn't multi consoles?

you are wrong buddy.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iammason

Hexagon_777
Interesting thought. Maybe since things are slowly going digital, maybe we could see Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo platforms going as digital services one day over PC? I mean if you could get all your games from one machine, I think it would be neat. Afterall, I own Wii, PS3, and 360, and have a mid range gaming PC. It just seems like a good idea to me.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I wouldn't mind at all. That way all the competition would focus on games instead of similar hardware systems. The competition would be even fiercer since developers cannot hide behind hardware manufacturers anymore.HAZE-Unit
do you know how many games and studios wouldn't even exist if there wasn't multi consoles? you are wrong buddy.

I am not your buddy, guy. And that is what competition does.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

iammason

Microsoft is trying to migrate console gamers to the PC. It's a conspiracy!

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I wouldn't mind at all. That way all the competition would focus on games instead of similar hardware systems. The competition would be even fiercer since developers cannot hide behind hardware manufacturers anymore.Hexagon_777

do you know how many games and studios wouldn't even exist if there wasn't multi consoles? you are wrong buddy.

Im not your guy, pal. and how do you say you wouldn't mind it at all then if you already knew lots of games and studios existed only to compete with the other console's killer apps?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]do you know how many games and studios wouldn't even exist if there wasn't multi consoles? you are wrong buddy.HAZE-Unit

Im not your guy, pal. and how do you say you wouldn't mind it at all then if you already knew lots of games and studios existed only to compete with the other console's killer apps?

I am not your pal, mate. People are complaining that there would be a lack of competition and I believe that the opposite would be the case and now you are complaining that the competition would actually be too much?

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts
I can see Sony and Nintendo maybe joining.. or Sony and Microsoft.. Or maybe Sega... :O
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I am not your buddy, guy. And that is what competition does.Hexagon_777

I am not your pal, mate. People are complaining that there would be a lack of competition and I believe that the opposite would be the case and now you are complaining that the competition would actually be too much?

im not your mate, folk. oh ok i have to rephrase, what i meant is games like forza, killzone...etcwouldn't exist if there was only one console, im against you on this point, competition would decrease when a unified console is born, actually hardware companies like Sony and MS would close much of their studios and the games they produce might be of lower quality, look at Sega for proof.

iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 iammason

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]Im not your guy, pal. and how do you say you wouldn't mind it at all then if you already knew lots of games and studios existed only to compete with the other console's killer apps?HAZE-Unit

im not your mate, folk. oh ok i have to rephrase, what i meant is games like forza, killzone...etcwouldn't exist if there was only one console, im against you on this point, competition would decrease when a unified console is born, actually hardware companies like Sony and MS would close much of their studios and the games they produce might be of lower quality, look at Sega for proof.

I don't think competition or quality would decrease. IF there was a one console future, I believe Sony and Microsoft would have digital services still like PSN or XBL, but it would just be accessed from the comfort of your PC.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

what dennis dyack was talking about was a future where there was a standard called a " game system" just like a dvd player or something. and many companys would make different systems that play the same games. i think it would be much better. Though im not sure if its more likely to happen or not.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]Im not your guy, pal. and how do you say you wouldn't mind it at all then if you already knew lots of games and studios existed only to compete with the other console's killer apps?HAZE-Unit

I am not your folk, dude. Competition would increase. With console manufacturers out of the question, every developer and every publisher would be on one system. They would all be on the same turf. Sony and Microsoft may close their studios, they may not. Just because they don't sell hardware anymore doesn't meant they don't wish to make profit from the software they sell. Even if closed, other publishers and developers will wish to capture the available talent that is now on the market.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="iammason"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

So they would just say "ah screw the almost 50 million people that bought our console." Plus all the money they make from Xbox live from each person at $50 a pop. Think about that honestly. :|
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iammason

[QUOTE="iammason"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

xscrapzx

So they would just say "ah screw the almost 50 million people that bought our console." Plus all the money they make from Xbox live from each person at $50 a pop. Think about that honestly. :|

It's not like it will happen overnight, obviously... but over time. ANd if MS got smart, they would make XBL free soon.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]I am not your pal, mate. People are complaining that there would be a lack of competition and I believe that the opposite would be the case and now you are complaining that the competition would actually be too much?

iammason

I don't think competition or quality would decrease. IF there was a one console future, I believe Sony and Microsoft would have digital services still like PSN or XBL, but it would just be accessed from the comfort of your PC.

what is the point of Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft to still produce high quality titles with high budgets if there isn't a console to sell? their mission is to produce high quality titles for their consoles to be appealing so they could sell.

Obviously the quality mostly would decrease.

IAMSERIAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IAMSERIAL
Member since 2010 • 261 Posts

Chutebox
You're only saying that because you're a cow.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="iammason"] I don't know, looks like they are ready to support PC a lot now, what with Age of Empire, Flight Sim, and even Fable 3 coming to PC. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Reach found its way to PC...iammason

It's not like it will happen overnight, obviously... but over time. ANd if MS got smart, they would make XBL free soon.

How would that be smart on their part? They are making millions off of it and people who are paying for it don't mind paying for it.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

It's just you.

StealthMonkey4
this is the correct answer, having only one console would create a monopoly where publishers would be more likely to try the crap that activision has been doing, higher game prices, pricier dlc, and annual game releases, what exactly could you do about it if there was only one console? absolutely nothing, i mean you could go the pc gaming route but still....
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

IAMSERIAL

Yup, you're right. I definitely don't have a rig, Wii, and 360. Fo sho!

IAMSERIAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IAMSERIAL

[QUOTE="IAMSERIAL"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

Yup and lol @ you for being wrong about ME1 on PS3 with your ridiculous Ninja Gaiden example.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="iammason"][QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]im not your mate, folk. oh ok i have to rephrase, what i meant is games like forza, killzone...etcwouldn't exist if there was only one console, im against you on this point, competition would decrease when a unified console is born, actually hardware companies like Sony and MS would close much of their studios and the games they produce might be of lower quality, look at Sega for proof.HAZE-Unit

what is the point of Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft to still produce high quality titles with high budgets if there isn't a console to sell? their mission is to produce high quality titles for their consoles to be appealing so they could sell. Obviously the quality mostly would decrease.

They could still make a profit from selling software instead of having to make up for a loss which consoles normally incur? What's more, why would Sony and Microsoft suddenly drop their critically acclaimed million sellers simply because they don't have hardware to sell?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="IAMSERIAL"] You're only saying that because you're a cow.IAMSERIAL

Yup and lol @ you for being wrong about ME1 on PS3 with your ridiculous Ninja Gaiden example.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... lol @ you for being wrong about ME2.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Nope, there is a lot of money in the video game business, there will always be competition in the company.

And competition is what pushes them forward.

IAMSERIAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IAMSERIAL

I never said ME2 lol. Keep failing bro.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox

IAMSERIAL
Yup, you sure didn't...
LanceAvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LanceAvion
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

Chutebox
I have to agree with the above. Competition drives the industry. Without the PS3 where would the 360 or the Wii be? And via versa. As companies currently are, the quality of any single game console (and games for that matter) would drop exponentially.
IAMSERIAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 IAMSERIAL
[QUOTE="IAMSERIAL"]

Chutebox
Yup, you sure didn't...

I just said Mass Effect. Damn, why do I constantly win here it's too easy?