Is GTA overrated?

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Question: If basically everyone here is saying GTA4 is overrated, would it still be overrated? Everybody still seems to have a hard-on for hate for that game.drinkerofjuice

If the general consensus for a game is that the rating it was given is higher than it deserves then yah, it'd be overrated. It doesn't matter how many people say it. Just as long as the majority does.

It's all still opinion though. GTAIV might be overrated, but I thought it was pretty good. Good enough that I actually beat the campaign, and bought the DLC, and beat those as well. The only other GTA game I've beaten is Vice City.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] Modded or not, that doesn't change the fact that 4's missions are designed a lot better than SA. biggest_loser

Yeah, i loved being an errand boy. There were like 4 or 5 cool missions in GTA IV and the rest were absolutely dreadful. Atleast in GTA SA i took out gang bosses, blew up drug factories, freed human trafficking victims, stole cars, and learned to fly.

I guess you also liked having to drive across the entire map every time you restart a mission as well? The flying stuff in SA was awful and totally pointless.

Yes, the failing a mission and having to drive back was pretty tedious, but atleast it wasn't with GTA IV's annoying driving, and the flying stuff was incredibly fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#153 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

By the way, check your Geometry Wars score lately? :P

drinkerofjuice

You are such a dick. You could have at least put up a score that was ridiculously high I would have no desire to attempt at trying to beat it. That is close enough that I should try. Uncalled for.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 jg4xchamp

I guess you also liked having to drive across the entire map every time you restart a mission as well?  biggest_loser

Yeah I remember how they didn't fix that in Grand Theft Auto 4.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#155 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

I guess you also liked having to drive across the entire map every time you restart a mission as well?  jg4xchamp

Funny, I remember that the cell phone let you restart the mission itself, instead of having to drive all the way back to the mission's location from where you failed it.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

I guess you also liked having to drive across the entire map every time you restart a mission as well?  princeofshapeir

Funny, I remember that the cell phone let you restart the mission itself, instead of having to drive all the way back to the mission's location from where you failed it.

Oh that? I thought he meant how you still restart at the beginning of the mission and still drive to your location. Because that shit wasn't fixed until what Ballad of Gay Tony and Red Dead Redemption?
Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Lumpy311

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Yeah I remember how they didn't fix that in Grand Theft Auto 4.

jg4xchamp

Oh that? I thought he meant how you still restart at the beginning of the mission and still drive to your location. Because that shit wasn't fixed until what Ballad of Gay Tony and Red Dead Redemption?

GTA SA actually let you skip the driving to where the mission actually starts thing. Atleast in the PS2.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#158 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Yeah I remember how they didn't fix that in Grand Theft Auto 4. jg4xchamp

Valid complaint, although it was nice that there were several variations of dialogue with passengers if you failed a mission. It felt a lot more annoying in San Andreas though, due to the map size and the mission objectives being spaced further apart.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 jg4xchamp
No that was definitely the one that was better about GTA 4. Being able to instantly restart.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] Funny, I remember that the cell phone let you restart the mission itself, instead of having to drive all the way back to the mission's location from where you failed it. Lumpy311

GTA SA actually let you skip the driving to where the mission actually starts thing. Atleast in the PS2.

I haven't played San Andreas since...probably 09/10 so I don't really remember if it did. But I do remember that like GTA 4 I hated failing a mission because of the tedium that was driving back from bumba f*ck. Admittedly I'd still rather play San Andreas.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#161 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
You are such a dick. You could have at least put up a score that was ridiculously high I would have no desire to attempt at trying to beat it. That is close enough that I should try. Uncalled for. jg4xchamp
I tried to break it myself, but then just gave up and started basking in the current glory. [QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] I haven't played San Andreas since...probably 09/10 so I don't really remember if it did. But I do remember that like GTA 4 I hated failing a mission because of the tedium that was driving back from bumba f*ck. Admittedly I'd still rather play San Andreas.

What I really like about Ballad of Gay Tony is that it placed a legit checkpoint system within its missions. It was no longer a case of driving back to the mission hub or replaying the whole mission, but just being setback to a slightly earlier spot from where you failed or died.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 jg4xchamp

Your dicketry truly knows no bounds. And yeah I don't mind a game that wants to do no check points, but it just does not work well in games where missions are long. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon had mad stretches where I was like "why the f*ck do I have to do this cutscene all over again also, why?". Ballad of Gay Tony and RDR cleaned up that mess. Max Payne 3 cleaned up their mechanics. Now all 5 gotta do is clean up the terrible pacing, and the mediocre mission designs.

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] You are such a dick. You could have at least put up a score that was ridiculously high I would have no desire to attempt at trying to beat it. That is close enough that I should try. Uncalled for. drinkerofjuice
I tried to break it myself, but then just gave up and started basking in the current glory.
I haven't played San Andreas since...probably 09/10 so I don't really remember if it did. But I do remember that like GTA 4 I hated failing a mission because of the tedium that was driving back from bumba f*ck. Admittedly I'd still rather play San Andreas. jg4xchamp
What I really like about Ballad of Gay Tony is that it placed a legit checkpoint system within its missions. It was no longer a case of driving back to the mission hub or replaying the whole mission, but just being setback to a slightly earlier spot from where you failed or died.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

I'd say no,

Gta III and Vice City were pretty much legendary, vice city more so because of the 80's theme and sound track. There was something magical about that decade that fit the insanity that is gta games very well. San Andreas I didn't get to much into sadly, it was fun but I never owned it for some odd reason and it felt like there were too many silly little mechanics in the game that you had to maintain (char weight/strenght) or something.

GTA IV while i was hoping for the insanity trip that was vice city i was actually really refreshed by the change in design. They sought after a slower pace, far better car handling where the cars really felt different and the mechanics didn't feel stiff taking turns. I had much more fun driving around the city in car chases. The ragdoll physics made it exponentially more fun, when you accidently hit someone and they end up rolling under your car.

Both styles were incredibly fun to play, one was more insane, the other was more difficult and slower so just cause a pile up and sprint 10 blocks down the road in a few seconds and steal another car.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] You are such a dick. You could have at least put up a score that was ridiculously high I would have no desire to attempt at trying to beat it. That is close enough that I should try. Uncalled for. drinkerofjuice
I tried to break it myself, but then just gave up and started basking in the current glory.
I haven't played San Andreas since...probably 09/10 so I don't really remember if it did. But I do remember that like GTA 4 I hated failing a mission because of the tedium that was driving back from bumba f*ck. Admittedly I'd still rather play San Andreas. jg4xchamp

you didn't have to drive back to the mission hub, after feeling you'd get a text to replay the mission, you'd only have to start back at the beginning.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]GTA IV and San Andreas are certainly overrated. IV is one of the worst games I have ever played. The rest of the series is great though. Particularly Vice City, III, II, and Chinatown Wars.Lumpy311

Do you seriously think GTA SA is overrated and Vice City isn't? Vice City has aged terribly, while GTA SA is still alive today.

Vice City has a better atmosphere, better voice work, better music, better characters, and above all better writing. Vice City is a self-referential homage to Scarface and 80s culture in general, whereas San Andreas is essentially one terrible hip hop culture cliche after another. Vice City is actually witty, intelligent, and funny. San Andreas is like a bad infomercial trying to sell compilation albums of 90s rap songs. The interaction between characters is cringe inducing. I don't believe in the idea that games "age" differently. The flaws of a given game may become more apparent over time, but that isn't because it has aged poorly. It's because you're no longer blinded by hype or excitement and are more able to appreciate the game's merits and highlight its flaws. If a game was good on release it remains good today; if a game seems bad now in comparison to then, you weren't evaluating it correctly the first time around. Vice City still plays great for me. I play the PC version and the only thing I would change is giving Tommy the ability to swim.
Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Lumpy311

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"]GTA IV and San Andreas are certainly overrated. IV is one of the worst games I have ever played. The rest of the series is great though. Particularly Vice City, III, II, and Chinatown Wars.famicommander

Do you seriously think GTA SA is overrated and Vice City isn't? Vice City has aged terribly, while GTA SA is still alive today.

Vice City has a better atmosphere, better voice work, better music, better characters, and above all better writing. Vice City is a self-referential homage to Scarface and 80s culture in general, whereas San Andreas is essentially one terrible hip hop culture cliche after another. Vice City is actually witty, intelligent, and funny. San Andreas is like a bad infomercial trying to sell compilation albums of 90s rap songs. The interaction between characters is cringe inducing. I don't believe in the idea that games "age" differently. The flaws of a given game may become more apparent over time, but that isn't because it has aged poorly. It's because you're no longer blinded by hype or excitement and are more able to appreciate the game's merits and highlight its flaws. If a game was good on release it remains good today; if a game seems bad now in comparison to then, you weren't evaluating it correctly the first time around. Vice City still plays great for me. I play the PC version and the only thing I would change is giving Tommy the ability to swim.

It's animations were shit compared to SA, so was it's voice acting, so were it's graphics, so were it's characters, also, hip hop culture cliche? What? And you think Vice City was in anyway original?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Lumpy311

It's animations were shit compared to SA, so was it's voice acting, so were it's graphics, so were it's characters, also, hip hop culture cliche? What? And you think Vice City was in anyway original?

The animations and graphics are obviously going to be less advanced, considering the games run on the same engine and San Andreas is the later game. That's a stupid thing to bring up. As for the voice work? Are you kidding? Vice City has Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds, Gary Busey, Lee Majors, Tom Sizemore, Danny Trejo, Luis Guzman, Jenna Jameson, and Dennis freaking Hopper. San Andreas has a good peripheral cast (James Woods, Samuel L Jackson, etc) but the actual main cast is just unbearable. As for the characters and story, I did not in any way say that Vice City was original. I said it was basically Scarface+a lampoon of 80s culture. But guess what? The characters are fleshed out with actual motivations for their actions, and everything about it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. It understands the absurdity of it all and handles it with humor and grace. San Andreas, on the other hand, has almost no humor. It tries to portray its characters in an emotional light but fails to provide believable motivations for why these emotionally vulnerable characters are off slaughtering, stealing, and destroying by the dozen. Vice City takes its source material and immerses you in a world of humor and pomp; San Andreas takes its source material and tries to use it as an actual motivating factor for the player's actions. The former succeeds, the latter fails.
Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Lumpy311

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"] Vice City has a better atmosphere, better voice work, better music, better characters, and above all better writing. Vice City is a self-referential homage to Scarface and 80s culture in general, whereas San Andreas is essentially one terrible hip hop culture cliche after another. Vice City is actually witty, intelligent, and funny. San Andreas is like a bad infomercial trying to sell compilation albums of 90s rap songs. The interaction between characters is cringe inducing. I don't believe in the idea that games "age" differently. The flaws of a given game may become more apparent over time, but that isn't because it has aged poorly. It's because you're no longer blinded by hype or excitement and are more able to appreciate the game's merits and highlight its flaws. If a game was good on release it remains good today; if a game seems bad now in comparison to then, you weren't evaluating it correctly the first time around. Vice City still plays great for me. I play the PC version and the only thing I would change is giving Tommy the ability to swim. famicommander

The animations and graphics are obviously going to be less advanced, considering the games run on the same engine and San Andreas is the later game. That's a stupid thing to bring up. As for the voice work? Are you kidding? Vice City has Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds, Gary Busey, Lee Majors, Tom Sizemore, Danny Trejo, Luis Guzman, Jenna Jameson, and Dennis freaking Hopper. San Andreas has a good peripheral cast (James Woods, Samuel L Jackson, etc) but the actual main cast is just unbearable. As for the characters and story, I did not in any way say that Vice City was original. I said it was basically Scarface+a lampoon of 80s culture. But guess what? The characters are fleshed out with actual motivations for their actions, and everything about it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. It understands the absurdity of it all and handles it with humor and grace. San Andreas, on the other hand, has almost no humor. It tries to portray its characters in an emotional light but fails to provide believable motivations for why these emotionally vulnerable characters are off slaughtering, stealing, and destroying by the dozen. Vice City takes its source material and immerses you in a world of humor and pomp; San Andreas takes its source material and tries to use it as an actual motivating factor for the player's actions. The former succeeds, the latter fails.

Mostly opinions, anyway, both were great games.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 famicommander
Obviously they are opinions. We're talking about entirely subjective matters. Pointing out that something is an opinion in a subjective manner is like pointing out that hot air rises in a hot air balloon. In my opinion one is a great game and one is a sad, pathetic caricature of a great game.
khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#170 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

Certainly not. I am more familiar with GTA SA and I still think it is one of the best games ever made. Whenever I play a new game I wish it would have the freedom the gamer feels in San Andreas.