Is Battlefield 1 the best in the series?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

It's been a few weeks since I've started playing BF1 and man is it a marvelous game

Now, I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore BF fan as my first game was BFBC2 but I love the series nonetheless.

Except for the weird and nonsensical unlocking system, BF1 nails it in every imaginable aspect.

- It's the most balanced Battlefield game I've played, no more nade spamming, no more mortar spamming, no more OP guns and gadgets.

- The new operation mode is my fav mode of the whole series (or maybe not? I'm in honeymoon phase :P), inducing the feeling of being in a war and instilling that sensational chaos in the player with narration and soundtracks being icing on the cake

- Wide range of well-designed guns with each having their own feel and mastery requirements and exceptional audio work/ sound design have made the gunplay so gratifying and mesmerizing

- Bayonet!

- Enhanced movement

- In terms of maps, I think they've knocked it outta the park with all the base maps and DLCs have been hit and miss for me, so overall, I'm satisfied.

- Should I even bother hyping the graphics?

- There are other welcomed changes to the game like showing how long should you wait for your nades to be resupplied

I'm having a blast with Multiplayer to the point that it doesn't let me touch the Campaign, so feel free to weigh in on that too

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#2  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2961 Posts

I think it is a good entry into the series. I liked the campaign alot. Multiplayer is also good.

Personally though I only played it a little bit when the full game was free on Xbox for a few days. I didn't buy it. Battlefield has just really worn on me after BF2, BFBC2, BF3, BF4 etc.

I kind of just had enough.

Edit: And no I don't think it's the best in series. I think BF2 was more significant for it's time.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

No. Battlefield 2 is.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

No. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the best :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

Yeah I like it A LOT after being so burned out on Battlefield 3&4.

Some of the things I really enjoy that make this game more fun/better than previous titles in the series

• The new operations game mode (this is a game changer)
  • Frontlines game mode
  • Behemoths
  • Dynamic weather system
  • Dirt and rain getting on your guns
  • Extremely well put together DLC that is almost as good as Bad Company Vietnam and feels way more focussed than BF3&4 DLC
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

BF1 had half the content that BF4 had for weapons. BF1 lacked the depth that BF4 had. I played BF4 for a year. I was bored with BF1 in a month.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@jdc6305 said:

BF1 had half the content that BF4 had for weapons.

In turn Battlefield 1s weapons feel way more unique, while BF4 weapons feel like slight variations of eachother.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17837 Posts

It's a solid entry in the series. The campaign is shit though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Loading Video...

Yes.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

its good but didn't blow me away. i'd probably put it behind a few other games in the series in terms of how much enjoyment I got out of it.

I think every game needs to have dynamic weather though, that is a really cool feature

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@with_teeth26: I noticed in the COD beta dirt can get on your weapon (if say a grenade explodes nearby)

I think developers are taking note.

Seeing that dynamic weather unleash a sandstorm for the first time in Sinai Desert, seeing it creep in and change the battlefield blew me away.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Nah.

1. Battlefield 2
2. 2142
3. Bad Company 2
4. BF1

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

For me it's the best current gen online shooter and up to the best in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 were the best in the series.

I'm in 2 places about Battlefield 1...

On the one hand it has great quirky presentation, and the operations mode is certainly good... but the game is shallow compared to the older ones... clunky consolised crap. And the nerve to have crates AND charge for DLC.

I think SW:Battlefront 2 is the next step in its evolution....

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

I played the 1942 demo in 2002 and I was hooked, loved Vietnam and Bf2/3/4 but bf1 reigns up there with 1942, the maps are all classics (including premium)

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

No. Battlefield 2 is.

Pitbulllova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Pitbulllova
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

Heck no. BF4 is. I hated BF1

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

Definitely the best campaign.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17837 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

LMAO. It was pure garbage. Half-ass levels with pre-rendered cutscenes in between them to try and make you give a shit. It was slapped together and insulting. Easily the worst in the series. Not that the series has great campaigns. Play something like Metro Last Light if you want to see what a real campaign is like.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@FLOPPAGE_50: I have the exact same experience as you, started playing the series since the BF1942 demo and been hooked ever since :D

Battlefield 1s maps are really great, they stand out more to me than Bf3&4maps because they are based on real event, real battles, real locations.

And it's not like DICE is just throwing leftover maps in the DLC: Nivelle Nights is one of my favourite maps and Tsaritsyn and Albion are just so much fun to play!

@MBirdy88: Battlefront has a random card system and microtransactions. I'd say that's a way worse than Battlfield 1s situation. The card system in Battlefront 1 is just terrible and of course, if you grind you'll get better cards... Now Battlefront 2 lets you remove the grind for $

I mean ok, BF1 lets you pay for (a chance at) skins. But paying for skins vs cards that clearly make one player better than the other is just no comparison.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

it goes between

battle field 2

bad company 2

and BF1

i played all three religiously

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: I have the exact same experience as you, started playing the series since the BF1942 demo and been hooked ever since :D

Battlefield 1s maps are really great, they stand out more to me than Bf3&4maps because they are based on real event, real battles, real locations.

And it's not like DICE is just throwing leftover maps in the DLC: Nivelle Nights is one of my favourite maps and Tsaritsyn and Albion are just so much fun to play!

@MBirdy88: Battlefront has a random card system and microtransactions. I'd say that's a way worse than Battlfield 1s situation. The card system in Battlefront 1 is just terrible and of course, if you grind you'll get better cards... Now Battlefront 2 lets you remove the grind for $

I mean ok, BF1 lets you pay for (a chance at) skins. But paying for skins vs cards that clearly make one player better than the other is just no comparison.

Do we have any proof that cards are just flat out better than others or stock items? Team Fortress had a variety of game changing weapons, ultimately though alot of the defaults were still better.

And that was pure random drop unless you bought them (which I might also point out is possible in BF1 ... despite already paying for everything else).

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#24  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2961 Posts

@BassMan said:
@lamprey263 said:

LMAO. It was pure garbage. Half-ass levels with pre-rendered cutscenes in between them to try and make you give a shit. It was slapped together and insulting. Easily the worst in the series. Not that the series has great campaigns. Play something like Metro Last Light if you want to see what a real campaign is like.

I disagree. I actually think it was interesting how it covered different people's accounts of World War I. Now is it historically accurate? Like are these plausible stories? I have no idea. I'm not really a history buff. It was entertaining though. To each his own.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

BFBC2 - Really I just can't point out any major flaws in this title. It was that good.

BF3 likely would have been the best without the suppression mechanic. BF1 brings back a level of polish that was missing in the last two entries but its limited by its time frame.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

BF1 had half the content that BF4 had for weapons. BF1 lacked the depth that BF4 had. I played BF4 for a year. I was bored with BF1 in a month.

No, you're just addicted to unlocks. Lol

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95

@MBirdy88 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Do we have any proof that cards are just flat out better than others or stock items? Team Fortress had a variety of game changing weapons, ultimately though alot of the defaults were still better.

And that was pure random drop unless you bought them (which I might also point out is possible in BF1 ... despite already paying for everything else).

Some cards give you one shot sniper rifles. Some give you a crappy grenade. Guess which one is better. Lol

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I thought Battlefield 1942 was the best just for the mods alone, Desert Combat/Desert Combat Extended in particular.

Next best one was Battlefield 2. It has the most official addons/DLC I've seen with the series.

Desert Combat Extended mod with the Tobruk map.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Some cards give you one shot sniper rifles. Some give you a crappy grenade. Guess which one is better. Lol

So like any other game where certain things are more effective for the average player than others...

Pretty much like TF2 then... you also get to break the items down and create the cards you want according to the latest trailer, will no doubt take time to grind, but still.

I would take that over £80 of extra DLC just to experience future content anyday.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

It's really the only game I play right now. Mind you, I only have a few hours to play video games a week, but still. What attracted me to the battlefield series originally was the focus on teamwork and the idea that you can still be successful without trying to kill a ton of teenagers who play the game for a living.

The only thing I can say that I'm not a huge fan of is how useless the battlepacks have become. I couldn't care less about weapon skins. I like to feel like I am playing towards something.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@jdc6305 said:

Fucking unlock junkie.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

No.... BF1 is by FAR the worst in the ENTIRE franchise. Horribly watered down, clunky, slow paced, too huge of maps, squirrel searching for a nut, auto aim, camping, half assed, lying, poor excuse, over armored vehicle and horses, transformer battle pickup, Battlefront reskin, borefest, with no one life competive mode, invisible walls, low jumping, non strafing, poor excuse, lie to the long time fans of the franchise, noob friendly, no skill gap, no team work, ADD fest, game for people who just want to run around doing nothing.

It's trash.

I am very seriously hoping the next installment is MUCH better. I have a feeling it will be. I am looking forward to either or both BC3 and BF5. We can put this watered down, stripped down, sorry excuse for a shooter behind us. It had soooo much potential, but just like Skyrim and SOCOM 4 it went after the casual masses and left those looking and expecting more in the dust. Sad to see. Some will disagree, and the majority fall into the categories I placed above. They absolutely LOVE games where there isn't a skill gap and they are on par with players 16 times better than they are.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingsfan_0333

@WitIsWisdom said:

No.... BF1 is by FAR the worst in the ENTIRE franchise. Horribly watered down, clunky, slow paced, too huge of maps, squirrel searching for a nut, auto aim, camping, half assed, lying, poor excuse, over armored vehicle and horses, transformer battle pickup, Battlefront reskin, borefest, with no one life competive mode, invisible walls, low jumping, non strafing, poor excuse, lie to the long time fans of the franchise, noob friendly, no skill gap, no team work, ADD fest, game for people who just want to run around doing nothing.

It's trash.

I am very seriously hoping the next installment is MUCH better. I have a feeling it will be. I am looking forward to either or both BC3 and BF5. We can put this watered down, stripped down, sorry excuse for a shooter behind us. It had soooo much potential, but just like Skyrim and SOCOM 4 it went after the casual masses and left those looking and expecting more in the dust. Sad to see. Some will disagree, and the majority fall into the categories I placed above. They absolutely LOVE games where there isn't a skill gap and they are on par with players 16 times better than they are.

I disagree with just about everything you said.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah I like it A LOT after being so burned out on Battlefield 3&4.

Some of the things I really enjoy that make this game more fun/better than previous titles in the series

• The new operations game mode (this is a game changer)
  • Frontlines game mode
  • Behemoths
  • Dynamic weather system
  • Dirt and rain getting on your guns
  • Extremely well put together DLC that is almost as good as Bad Company Vietnam and feels way more focussed than BF3&4 DLC

Excellent points, especially about dynamic weather system which adds a lot to the gameplay, it's not just some immersion thing.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mjorh

@jdc6305 said:

This:

"In turn Battlefield 1s weapons feel way more unique, while BF4 weapons feel like slight variations of eachother."

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjorh

@kingsfan_0333 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

It's trash.

Same, I don't know why he thinks like that about the game

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mjorh

@kingsfan_0333 said:

It's really the only game I play right now. Mind you, I only have a few hours to play video games a week, but still. What attracted me to the battlefield series originally was the focus on teamwork and the idea that you can still be successful without trying to kill a ton of teenagers who play the game for a living.

The only thing I can say that I'm not a huge fan of is how useless the battlepacks have become. I couldn't care less about weapon skins. I like to feel like I am playing towards something.

Couldn't agree more

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mjorh

@pitbulllova said:

Heck no. BF4 is. I hated BF1

Why?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95

I would say BF2 because it holds the most nostalgia for me, but BF1 is definitely the best. BF2 was riddled with glaring problems such as dolphin diving, whereas BF1 is missing all the stupid annoying crap that kills you that BF4 had. Also, destruction creates a dynamic battlefield, where the old Battlefields don't have that.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

Battlefield 2 was and is the Masterpiece on the series, in fact there's a bunch of community out there still playing the heck of this game. I'm not really good at multiplayer but I think Bf1 nails it in terms of everything what a casual FPS gamer needs.

But I usually go back to play ARMA III and that's the best I could play when we're talking about multiplayer FPS. Quake 3 for arena multiplayer and Doom 1 - 4 for Single player experience.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WitIsWisdom

@kingsfan_0333 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

It's trash.

No you don't, you obviously agree with the part about me saying that some would disagree because they absolutely love watered down games with no skill gap. You fall right into that category, so congratulations.

Oh, and that's the beauty of opinion isn't it? You can have yours, and I can have mine. The difference? Some people prefer a challenge. and others prefer a casual experience where they can hop right in with no experience and no time spent understanding game mechanics, and/or tactics and strategies, and can still hold their own. No big deal... it's what makes the world turn. My taste in shooters over the years has REALLY taken a hit.. however, with games like Siege (dont like it), Fortnite Battle Royale, PUBG, and Ghost Recon Ghost War, well.... it looks as though one life games (and 4rd person) are making a strong comeback. I can only hope to get another good SOCOM game, or that H-Hour makes it to console and is fun and successful.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WitIsWisdom

@mjorh said:
@kingsfan_0333 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

It's trash.

Same, I don't know why he thinks like that about the game

It's a step in the wrong direction, that's why. They stripped features and made excuses as to why they stripped.... and then said people asked for them... which nobody did. Kind of like MLB with the pace of game rules... when NOBODY complains about it to begin with.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingsfan_0333

@WitIsWisdom said:
@kingsfan_0333 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

It's trash.

No you don't, you obviously agree with the part about me saying that some would disagree because they absolutely love watered down games with no skill gap. You fall right into that category, so congratulations.

Oh, and that's the beauty of opinion isn't it? You can have yours, and I can have mine. The difference? Some people prefer a challenge. and others prefer a casual experience where they can hop right in with no experience and no time spent understanding game mechanics, and/or tactics and strategies, and can still hold their own. No big deal... it's what makes the world turn. My taste in shooters over the years has REALLY taken a hit.. however, with games like Siege (dont like it), Fortnite Battle Royale, PUBG, and Ghost Recon Ghost War, well.... it looks as though one life games (and 4rd person) are making a strong comeback. I can only hope to get another good SOCOM game, or that H-Hour makes it to console and is fun and successful.

Let me know when you calm down a little bit.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88 said:

So like any other game where certain things are more effective for the average player than others...

Pretty much like TF2 then... you also get to break the items down and create the cards you want according to the latest trailer, will no doubt take time to grind, but still.

I would take that over £80 of extra DLC just to experience future content anyday.

But dude, you are just making stuff up at this point.

80 pounds of extra DLC ? In which game is that exactly because it sure isn't the case in BF1.

And yeah Starcards are nothing like what you describe in Team Fortress, plus having played both Team Fortress and Battlefront I can say these systems are nothing alike.

I'll give you a simple example, because really if you want to know the truth you better just find out for yourself.

You start Star Wars Battlefront 1 and you get no cards (so as a noob you are at a disadvantage)

After a while you unlock a starcard say a grenade, by griding 5 hours

Grind some 20-50 hours more and you'll get a elite version of that grenade star card, giving you reduced cooldown... Meaning you can throw your grenade more often.

How that is fair in any way, shape or form is beyond me.

@mjorh said:

Excellent points, especially about dynamic weather system which adds a lot to the gameplay, it's not just some immersion thing.

Just like With Teeth I'd love to see it in more games.

We are seeing it in Racing games now, which is really nice.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

It was polished and fun, with the best single player... But the multiplayer was shallow and lacks so much compared to bf4.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

The multiplayer is fun, but I couldnt give a rats anus about the garbage singleplayer. Its trying to be serious, but in reality its very disrespectful to those who died in world war 1. Please cut the hero superman stuff if you want to create a serious singleplayer that honors those who have fallen in this terrible war.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mjorh

@_Matt_ said:

It was polished and fun, with the best single player... But the multiplayer was shallow and lacks so much compared to bf4.

Why?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#48 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6100 Posts

@metalboi said:

I enjoyed the hell out of my time with the game. Much better than BF4 and Hardline imo. Haven't played the other games in the series.

I agree with this.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@mjorh said:
@_Matt_ said:

Why?

Battlefield 1 multiplayer is awesome ignore the haters. Some people prefer Battlefield 4 for it's modern warfare experience.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

More like the worst in the series. BF1 was one of the most boring MP games I've ever played.