Is Batman Arkham the best Third person Action games series of all time?

• 92 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Hello friends

You all know most of time i talk about FPS games or if its third person it must include shooting etc. but here my topic this time is different. its about best third person action series not to involve any kind of guns or shooting. and the way i see. i go with nothing other than Batman Arkham series. this series is also much much better than assassins creed crap which is definition of anti-fun.

maybe its biased because im Batman fan but other than i didnot found any other third person action series as good as engaging as this series. starting from Asylum which was imo the best in series. even thought it lost magic ones they went full open world but they are still fun to play. both City and Knight. Knight despite the worst of main trilogy is still damn fun to play and the atmosphere is just incredible like always raining. didnot liked origins much but it was ok.

I feel like Arkham Batman and joker are best potrayal next to christian bale and heath ledger.

so my friends, do you condsider Arkham to be best third person action games?

lets discuss

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

No.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Sure. They're really good. Still need to play through Origins. I dig the setting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Sure why not.

Loading Video...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I am a big fan of the Batman Arkham games. I like both the linear style of the first and the open world style of the sequels. Even though the fighting is dumbed down and automated, it has a nice flow and the games have a fun gameplay loop with the fighting, gadgets, traversal, etc.. They make you feel like a badass and that is what a Batman game should do. They also have great atmosphere.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

I liked the more open world game from Arkham Knight more than the others. I hope its more like that game if they make more.

I'd like it not in a fixed time though and have a day and night cycle... even though I guess it may be look a bit weird to have Batman wandering around during the day. Maybe during the day you could play as Bruce and sell and buy stocks until nighttime comes.

Or if you played Bruce do the undercover work Bruce does for batman, like meetings or something.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I loved Asylum, my favourite Batman game. Couldn't really get into the others although to be fair I probably never gave them as big of a chance as I should have.

Might go back and finish them one day...maybe.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Sorry that would be the fable series to me. Can't wait for them to bring that back.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

The witcher

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Maybe

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

They're up there near the top, bit I wouldn't say they're the best.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3024 Posts

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I love asylum and city but cannot get into arkham knight. The vehicle controls are so bad and its hard for me to continue on with the game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@Gamerno6666 said:

I love asylum and city but cannot get into arkham knight. The vehicle controls are so bad and its hard for me to continue on with the game.

They really are. Too bad as well, as the story-telling aspect is a lot better, feels far more lived in and the joker is used interestingly for once.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Nope. The best third-person action game series of all time are Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and Bayonetta.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Dont think I'd call an action game where the action sucks the best

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

No. They are great games to be sure and ones that I very much enjoyed but I would put Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, and the Devil May Cry games above them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't know why, on paper those games should be right up my alley, but I couldn't play more than a couple of hours. Don't know exactly why but I don't like them.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

i'd take the first four splinter cells over the batman games (with the caveat of xbox / ps2 version of double agent).

asylum is my favourite. i liked city but i thought the open world messed with the great pacing of the original too much. knight was good in places, great atmosphere, moody visuals but the forced use of the batmobile was a bit of a killer. it wasn't too bad in close combat but driving round the narrow, convoluted city streets was awkward and clumsy and didn't feel like i'd imagine the batmobile to handle. and origins was fun and nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

but in terms of overall enjoyment gained from four games splinter cell wins for me

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

It's certainly up there.

Kinda odd were comparing it to stuff like DMC and NG. They seem like completely different genres to me. Third person action adventure is a giant spectrum.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

I liked arkham asylum the best.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:

i'd take the first four splinter cells over the batman games (with the caveat of xbox / ps2 version of double agent).

asylum is my favourite. i liked city but i thought the open world messed with the great pacing of the original too much. knight was good in places, great atmosphere, moody visuals but the forced use of the batmobile was a bit of a killer. it wasn't too bad in close combat but driving round the narrow, convoluted city streets was awkward and clumsy and didn't feel like i'd imagine the batmobile to handle. and origins was fun and nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

but in terms of overall enjoyment gained from four games splinter cell wins for me

Hmmm... action game? I suppose it is? Conviction definitely is.

But like, the classic ones spend 99.99% of the time creeping a round at a snail-pace either avoiding people or taking them out with a click.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@phbz: I had a similar experience with the second game. It was getting these incredible reviews and I'm playing it feeling like it wasn't as tight as the first game...

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Jag85: I agree, no where as good as ninja gaiden, Bayonetta, or DMC

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

**** no. The combat sucks and it finally being replaced by souls shit as the de facto triple A combat of choice is a fucking blessing.

Devil May Cry, God Hand, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta all have better gameplay. Ditto god of war, sekiro, or even the new Star Wars game.

It’s fun enough for the Batman part if you are super into Batman, me personally he’s not my favorite DC character (blasphemy I know), but were the games about anything else, I would think the game is wack for how it plays.

Not the case for the other action games I named, I ducking hate Kratos and still had fun with God of War 2 and Dad of War.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85
@jg4xchamp said:

It’s fun enough for the Batman part if you are super into Batman, me personally he’s not my favorite DC character (blasphemy I know), but were the games about anything else, I would think the game is wack for how it plays.

Who is your favourite DC character?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Jag85: Superman, Hal Jordan, Wally West, Diana, Dick Grayson

No beef against the Bats, total legend, but he’s used n abused. And holy shit are Batman fans the Nintendo shills of comic fans. The absolute worst people.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85

@jg4xchamp: Superman is also over-used though. But agree with Hal Jordan. Underrated character. Not too familiar with the others though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

**** no. The combat sucks and it finally being replaced by souls shit as the de facto triple A combat of choice is a fucking blessing.

Devil May Cry, God Hand, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta all have better gameplay. Ditto god of war, sekiro, or even the new Star Wars game.

Not the case for the other action games I named, I ducking hate Kratos and still had fun with God of War 2 and Dad of War.

but DMC and bayonetta suck champ. they are repetetive hack n slash games and couldnot list in traditional action games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever: stfu casual

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

@Jag85: Superman is overruined. My beef with Batman is that he convinced hacks to think other heroes are only interesting when they are dark and brooding all the time.

Superman’s influence these days when he gets something good like All Star Superman or Birthright or American Alien, is stuff that stays to his character.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

@Jag85: Superman is overruined. My beef with Batman is that he convinced hacks to think other heroes are only interesting when they are dark and brooding all the time.

Superman’s influence these days when he gets something good like All Star Superman or Birthright or American Alien, is stuff that stays to his character.

superman is childish superhero. infact i even think it was stupid when i was kid.

Batman is dark hero. he is different from others and for that he is only super hero who is interesting character.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp: Agree about Batman. But I'm not really a fan of either Batman or Superman. I lost interest in both characters a long time ago... and well, DC in general. I've always preferred Marvel over DC.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever: his entire character is “Wah I lost my parents, Wah. I have billions of dollars and I’m gonna dress up as a bar for mommy. Wah”

Batman is a nerd loved by other loser nerds. You all relate to him, because y’all relate how y’all got dunked on in school by the way Batman used to get dunked on by the other rich kids at rich kids school.

Imagine rooting for the cat who got roasted with “butler lover” and told “I know what someone isn’t getting for Christmas! parents!”

Loser ass.

Don’t try me ghost you fucking amateur.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp

@Jag85: was never a Mahvel cat sans the fighting game, X-men, and the movies somewhat.

The cartoons were universally outclassed by DC shit, still are sans Spectacular Spider-Man which was done by the Young Justice/Gargoyles dude.

The comics tho horrible continuity, straight up lame villains, and they go a bit too extra in trying to make these absurd ass people grounded. Prefer the mythical vibe of DCs universe.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Macutchi said:

Hmmm... action game? I suppose it is? Conviction definitely is.

But like, the classic ones spend 99.99% of the time creeping a round at a snail-pace either avoiding people or taking them out with a click.

yeah fair point, if you squint at them from a particular angle they can be seen as action games. definitely not pure out and out action

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I liked Arkham Asylum, but mainly because it was a reskinned Metroid game with simple, fun combat.

I didn't like Arkham City - it was kind of a total mess - and so I didn't bother with the rest of the series.

So no, I wouldn't put it in my top five action game series.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Planeforger: City was a total mess? Ummm...you sure you know what game you're talking about?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp: I disagree. The '90s Marvel cartoons (e.g. Spider-Man and X-Men) were more interesting and enjoyable than the DC cartoons. Marvel makes better movies too. And they've had the better video games. Not too sure about which makes the better comics though. Might give that one to DC.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

I like ac origins more.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:

@jg4xchamp: I disagree. The '90s Marvel cartoons (e.g. Spider-Man and X-Men) were more interesting and enjoyable than the DC cartoons. Marvel makes better movies too. And they've had the better video games. Not too sure about which makes the better comics though. Might give that one to DC.

**** no, go watch that shit again. I adore the 90s Xmen animated theme, but the actual animation is terrible. Bruce Timm's look is fluid and more importantly has a look of its own. The 90s marvel stuff made the boneheaded mistake of trying to be literally the art of the comics, which works in stills, but when you need something to move around n animate it was choppy n sluggish.

Also had bad voice acting, poor line delivery, and no sense of pace. In theory it should have been better since they had season long arcs, where as BTAS was bad guy of the week, but Batman was just a way better production, added a new character to the lore (harley), and turned absolute nothing weres into stone cold classics like Mr Freeze who used to be a joke of a character compared to what Timmverse did with him.

Superman Animated Series was similarly strong, albeit with less dark of a visual style, and Justice League ramped it up to some primo shit once they got to the cadmus arc in JLU.

The better video games is really debatable. On one hand all the arcade games Marvel had are dope, the Xmen arcade game is dope. Mahvel Fighting game is way the **** better than Injustice. But 3D both are providers of trash. I have no desire to pretend Spiderman video games were fun because one decent swinging mechanic, when the actual fighting n stuff was terrible. And I find the Xmen legends games to be mind numbing.

You start throwing the straight to DVD animated movies they did and DC takes marvel to church in that department. No altar.

Feature films, eh. Mahvel did the universe thing better, tho I find their movies visually bland. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, n Shazam are a step better in that department, the last one being a genuine blast to watch. They are again as much as I am no Batman shill, not as good as what Nolan did, and even what Fox got out of Deadpool and Logan (albeit those are marvel, tho not MCU), and all things considered the best cape movie of any kind is Mask of the Phantasm, and then Spiderverse. Love how that movie looks.

Comics is a toss up like anything else. I think the actual avengers are boring and Spiderman sucks. But Daredevil comics are some ace shit, and Xmen are godlike. DC's stand alone stories are legendary shit tho. Kingdom Come is dope, ditto Eyes of the Gorgon and Sinestro Corps.

Been cutting down on the cape shit comics tho, been getting more into independent comics. Man did capes hold back some cool shit. Y: The Last Man is godlike.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

superman is childish superhero. infact i even think it was stupid when i was kid.

Batman is dark hero. he is different from others and for that he is only super hero who is interesting character.

Agreed.

Loading Video...

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Well, it's among the best. It definitely revolutionized the combat aspect.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp: It's been a long time since I've watched those cartoons. Back in the '90s, I remember the Marvel cartoons being more visually appealing and the DC cartoons looking bland. And in terms of story, I remember getting bored of DC cartoons and finding the Marvel cartoons fun and interesting. Partly because, like you said, the Marvel cartoons having story arcs and not just monster of the week.

Same goes for the movies. Even the Nolan Dark Knight movies bored me. And I say this as a Nolan fan. I've enjoyed every other Nolan movie, yet his Dark Knight movies were boring. And after trying a few DCEU movies, I found them boring too and gave up on the franchise. But I haven't seen the recent DCEU movies, so maybe they've improved?

As for video games, true that both are lacking in the 3D department, but Marvel easily wins in the 2D department, thanks to MvC.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Nah, spider man for the PS4 is even better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

@jg4xchamp: It's been a long time since I've watched those cartoons. Back in the '90s, I remember the Marvel cartoons being more visually appealing and the DC cartoons looking bland. And in terms of story, I remember getting bored of DC cartoons and finding the Marvel cartoons fun and interesting. Partly because, like you said, the Marvel cartoons having story arcs and not just monster of the week.

Same goes for the movies. Even the Nolan Dark Knight movies bored me. And I say this as a Nolan fan. I've enjoyed every other Nolan movie, yet his Dark Knight movies were boring. And after trying a few DCEU movies, I found them boring too and gave up on the franchise. But I haven't seen the recent DCEU movies, so maybe they've improved?

As for video games, true that both are lacking in the 3D department, but Marvel easily wins in the 2D department, thanks to MvC.

Brah, TAS themes and writing absolutely shat on Marvel cartoons. It was way, way way above the quality of other Western cartoons. I mean it had an episode where they turned a terrible gimmick character into Gary Colemans growth disorder and fading fame of child actors. This shit was marketed at 12 year olds.

Loading Video...

It had probably the single best cameo from Adam West as well (way better than that Family Guy shit) where he acted both a parody of campy take and fading career as well as a homage to the The Shadow which inspired him, most of this would go right over kids heads.

Loading Video...

TAS wasn't just copying the comics, it was retroactively influencing both them and movies as well as Western animation as whole.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I couldn't get through it

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Arkham City is the best superhero game ever. Spiderman is in the top 5 no doubt as is Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. But Batman is king.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: I'm not trying to debate the objective quality or merits of both franchises. Just stating my personal preference, which has always been Marvel. For whatever reasons, DC cartoons/movies/games have always been hit-or-miss for me, whereas Marvel cartoons/movies/games have almost always been enjoyable for me (even the Activision Spider-Man games). Partly because DC always feels like it's trying too hard to be "dark and edgy" and takes itself too seriously, whereas Marvel is more fun, colourful and tongue-in-cheek while still presenting relevant themes (e.g. X-Men's civil rights theme, Hulk's anger management, Spider-Man's anxiety, etc.).