Infinity Ward Not Worried About People Comparing MW3 to 9/11

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DangerousLiquid
DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DangerousLiquid
Member since 2011 • 452 Posts

Robert Bowling, creative strategist for Infinity Ward, says that he isn't worried about people making comparisons between the attacks on New York that occur in Modern Warfare 3, and real attacks on the city that took place on September 11th, 2001.

"Modern Warfare 3'sconflict in New York is more like a traditional war, says the developer, not a terrorist attack.

Bowling explained that the conflict depicted in the game was very different from any real world scenario, and thatModern Warfare 3'sattack was a full-on invasion that had started inModern Warfare 2. He said that in the game, the Russian forces had already taken Washington DC, and the attack was proceeding organically up the East Coast. He was confident that when people got to play the game, they would appreciate the difference between.

"The conflict that's raging in Modern Warfare 3 is very different from any real life scenario because this is a war," he said. "It's full-on military fighting through the streets, so I think that's going to be very clear once people play it and get hands-on and see what type of conflict this is."

Groups in the UK have already raised concerns about the attacks on London in theModern Warfare 3trailer, calling them a "chilling echo" of the terrorist bombings that took place in 2005. With this in mind, it's no wonder that Bowling is trying to downplay any similarities to 9/11. Hopefully, this will be sufficient to assuage the more sensationalist members of the media.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th."

_______________________________________ __________________________________________

_______________________________________ __________________________________________

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Well they will have something in common; they both be a huge disaster and anger a lot of people

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
People need to relax.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It gets me pretty frustrated to hear about those whining people again. It might remind them of terrorist attacks but they don't have to play it. It's a choice. It's a game, not a terrorist simulator.

criegz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 criegz
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

Well they will have something in common; they both be a huge disaster and anger a lot of people

BPoole96

Ba-zing.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

criegz

Ba-zing.

Lol, people always find a way to bash CoD. Yet, they will buy it in the end...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

There were people concerned about this to begin with? What is wrong with peopole today?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BPoole96

[QUOTE="criegz"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

Ba-zing.

I will not buy MW3 under any circumstance. I am so sick and tired of that series and people raving about it all the time. I actually get a little mad when people try to tell me its a good game. I have friends who have only played MW2 and Black Ops and try to convince me that it is the best game ever made

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
People need to relax.mrmusicman247
For some reason, I think you would be singing a different tune if a loved one of yours died that day.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero_epyon

Additionally, if one were to try to compare it they'd fail right at the beginning. This is a story of WW3, not the biggest terrorist attack of all time and you're at the center of it all. I wonder if germans and russians complain about always being the bad guy in these games?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]People need to relax.millerlight89
For some reason, I think you would be singing a different tune if a loved one of yours died that day.

I'll tell you what. I wouldn't. Why? Because this game has nothing to do with 9/11 or terrorism. Why don't we just ban every game that happens to set buildings on fire?
DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="DangerousLiquid"]

[QUOTE="criegz"]

Ba-zing.

BPoole96

I will not buy MW3 under any circumstance. I am so sick and tired of that series and people raving about it all the time. I actually get a little mad when people try to tell me its a good game. I have friends who have only played MW2 and Black Ops and try to convince me that it is the best game ever made

It's a good series, don't try to convince yourself otherwise.

Call of Duty 4 is the single most important game of the last decade.

And while MW2 and Black Ops weren't of the same quality, they are still AAA games and very fun to play, enjoyed by millions every day.

But yeah, it's easy to hate on something only because it's so popular, maybe to be unique? I don't know.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

Additionally, if one were to try to compare it they'd fail right at the beginning. This is a story of WW3, not the biggest terrorist attack of all time and you're at the center of it all. I wonder if germans and russians complain about always being the bad guy in these games?

Zero_epyon

Lol I've always wondered that myself.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

...You're going to go there? I did know someone who died that day. But people who keep comparing every COD game to some kind of terrorist attack is ridiculous. Crysis 2 never got any this. So please do not tell what tune I should or should not be singing.
allthatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 allthatdown
Member since 2008 • 1229 Posts

DangerousLiquid

That argument can be used for any series, people always find a way to bash Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. Yet, they will buy it in the end...

See, anyone can do it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

And while MW2 and Black Ops weren't of the same quality, they are still AAA games and very fun to play, enjoyed by millions every day.

But yeah, it's easy to hate on something only because it's so popular, maybe to be unique? I don't know.

Please, I do not care at all what people think of me so in no way am I doing it to be "unique". CoD4 was good, but every installment since has been a broken, unbalanced, rehash every year. The series has grown unbearably stale and Activision's refuse to include dedicated servers is just absurd.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Please, I do not care at all what people think of me so in no way am I doing it to be "unique". CoD4 was good, but every installment since has been a broken, unbalanced, rehash every year. The series has grown unbearably stale and Activision's refuse to include dedicated servers is just absurd.

A broken, unbalanced, rehash? I doubt the biggest gaming sites on the planet, GS and IGN, would award an AAA score to such games...

noxboxlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 noxboxlive
Member since 2008 • 5856 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DangerousLiquid

allthatdown

That argument can be used for any series, people always find a way to bash Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. Yet, they will buy it in the end...

See, anyone can do it.

Nobody plays Big Rigs, so how can that argument be used for that game?

Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

Or maybe ....just maybe, some people "sincerely" dont find Call of Duty to be that great of a series?

hard to believe I know....

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#21 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Even people who had family members die that day I'm sure are capable of recognizingthe difference between real-life tragedy and a fictional war setting. If a city has ever been attacked by terrorists no fictional war should ever be set there in a videogame?

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts

That NYC level is nothing like 9/11 -____-.

People will find anyway to hate on MW3 I swear.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

A broken, unbalanced, rehash? I doubt the biggest gaming sites on the planet, GS and IGN, would award an AAA score to such games...

Didn't WaW get an 8.5 here?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

So are you actually going to argue that MW2 is not a broken, unbalanced, rehash? Have you played that game?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Why should they be worried about anything like that, it's a game, not reality. There is no reason to hold games to a higher level of scrutiny than any other form of entertainment.

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Pacific

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Zero_epyon

How is 8.5 bad ?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

So are you actually going to argue that MW2 is not a broken, unbalanced, rehash? Have you played that game?

I agree. Every game released after COD4 has been worse and worse. Next they'll say it's because IW was in shambles and couldn't fix the broken, unbalanced rehash after the game was released. I'll buy MW3 only because I'd like to see the work of the two developers helping what's left of IW.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="DangerousLiquid"]

The_Pacific

How is 8.5 bad ?

Where did I say it was bad? 8.5 is not AAA it's AA. That's all I'm saying.
The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Pacific
[QUOTE="The_Pacific"]

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"] Didn't WaW get an 8.5 here?Zero_epyon

How is 8.5 bad ?

So whats your point then in saying it got another great score ? BLOPS scored a 9.0 last year and that game was by treyarch as well.
DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DangerousLiquid

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

About 500 hours of playtime. I wish I could say I've had more fun with another game, with my friends, but I can't.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I see no correlation between the 2.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="The_Pacific"] How is 8.5 bad ?

The_Pacific

So whats your point then in saying it got another great score ? BLOPS scored a 9.0 last year and that game was by treyarch as well.

Read the comment I was responding to.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Why the hell would people link the two? Did the terrorists attack with missiles launched from Russian subs in the harbor? No.

It's good they are just ignoring anybody who comapres. I'm sure somebody somewhere will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I'll never understand people who get offended by this stuff in a video game, they're not offending you in any way, it's just supposed to add to the story or tension in the game. The amount of people complaining about the airport scene in MW2 was pretty big, it's just a video game people, you're not an actual russion invading an airport. I don't understand their mentality :( this is just more ammo for the media (namela FOX news or I like to call it Faux news) to fire against video games.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
It's not even close...
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

They shouldn't.

People should stop whining about stuff like this.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Isnt it obvious by now that they love this kind of press? They are firm believers in "any press is good press"..............same crap like this happened with MW2 and the whole airport fiasco. And once again, everyone just buys right into it and MW3 gets free press.

XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

What has it been? Nearly 10 years ago? People need to get over it and move on. Like 15,000 people die of starvation a day and even more from cureable diseases; some of this even happens in America yet nobody mourns those people. I just don't see the point, the world moves on and we shouldn't be holding ourselves back because of it. As much as I'm tired of the MW series I'm glad they aren't worried.

Hell if they actually had a mission in the game where you fly a plain into a tower I'd be perfectly fine with it.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
while i don't think this should be a problem for MW3;those stating that people should just "get over it" don't really have any right to say such.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

People need to chill. It's a video game. I bet people wouldn't care if this was some other form of media.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
This isn't similar to 9/11 at all. There have been hundreds of books/ tv shows/ games/ movies that have depicted war torn American cities.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

What IW should be worried about instead is actually making balance patches to their games.

DangerousLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DangerousLiquid

What has it been? Nearly 10 years ago? People need to get over it and move on. Like 15,000 people die of starvation a day and even more from cureable diseases; some of this even happens in America yet nobody mourns those people. I just don't see the point, the world moves on and we shouldn't be holding ourselves back because of it. As much as I'm tired of the MW series I'm glad they aren't worried.

Hell if they actually had a mission in the game where you fly a plain into a tower I'd be perfectly fine with it.

XileLord

True, but that isn't murder... Big difference.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I stepped on a bug and killed it. I hope those bugs don't go protetsting A Bug's Life 2 if they make one.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

People will complain about anything. :roll:

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="criegz"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

DangerousLiquid

Ba-zing.

Peoplemay have a legit reason to hate the game.I remember a couple of COD fanboys on this siteused that arguement before.I hope you are not any of them.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I agree with IW.I hope people can tell the difference between the actual 9/11 attacks and the NYC attacks in MW3.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Well Crysis 2 had aliens demolishing NYC, but its ok since they are aliens :P

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Zero_epyon

I agree. Every game released after COD4 has been worse and worse. Next they'll say it's because IW was in shambles and couldn't fix the broken, unbalanced rehash after the game was released. I'll buy MW3 only because I'd like to see the work of the two developers helping what's left of IW.

I wasn't a big fan of WaW and MW2 (Anyone who says MW2 didn't have a camping problem is lying to your face). BUT Black Ops was a big step towards the right direction, and the directors said that they were looking more at CoD4 (Fantastic game) than MW2.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Well lets get mad and angry over every fictional war and conflict in any form of media. As long as Iward doesn't bull another horrible No Russian.