In your opinion, who would be best to replace the Xbox Console?

• 100 results
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Should Microsoft discontinue the Xbox console, which company would you like to see step into the console business? How would they fair against Sony and Nintendo? In my opinion, Apple would be the first to throw their hat in. They're already pushing console level games to iOS and MacOS and they're not shy about making hardware since they make their chips.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

Sega would be the one that I would most like to see. Apple would be one of the absolute last that I would want in the console space given their business practices.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69527 Posts

How about getting more information on the situation than creating fanboy speculation? Ooops! I forgot where I am at.😂

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts

I don't know. Just don't let Elon Musk anywhere near the idea.

"X" Box - HHuuuuaaaagh!

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 509 Posts

Valve should try their hand at consoles again. The Steam Machines failed because it wasn't a simplified platform and had so many variations console gamers who don't know PC gaming just got confused and avoided it.

Now that Steam Deck is established and successful, it would be prime for Valve to create a SteamOS console. They can manufacture 2 or 3 easy to understand variants with just like the steam deck, and it would be the only console ever made that would launch with literally thousands of games available right out of the box. Plus you could link your Steam Deck to it continue your game on the go if you wanted.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

Valve.

Steam has an existing library of games built-in, and people have invested in that platform for their own libraries. They also have games from both MS and Sony. A console from them could be successful right away.

@pcgamerlaszlo: Steam Machines didn't have Proton, it was dependent on Linux games, which no one was making especially at the time. Now there's indies and some bigger games, but nowhere near the complete PC library. With Proton that increases it exponentially.

Also Steam Machines wasn't first party hardware (only the few machines made for beta were produced this way). Steam Machines ended up as a branding on multiple configurations from 3rd party OEMs.

Something like Steam Deck but without the battery constraints and small form factor constraints would make a good console. One set of target hardware that developers can work on. This worked well for Steam Deck.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 509 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Agreed. I think Valve has come a long way since their 1st attempt, and their infrastructure and branding are already there. If Sony does end up being the only company on the market that focuses on powerful consoles, Valve would be the prime candidate to come in guns blazing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

Why would you want yet another console? Wasting more money on redundant hardware and getting trapped in a closed ecosystem sucks. Let's not forget the environmental impact that the manufacturing and disposing of these consoles has. Having multiple consoles that essentially do the same thing is so wasteful. MS going full multiplat is a blessing (if that is what they intend to do).

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12984 Posts

Xbox has been going out of business for 24 years according to cows. Let's talk about this again in another 24 years.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@BassMan: Has anyone thrown a working console in the garbage? Although I might if they don't announce a Bluepoint Bloodborne remake.

@kvallyx: Yeah I hope Xbox consoles continue

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KvallyX
@BassMan said:

Why would you want yet another console? Wasting more money on redundant hardware and getting trapped in a closed ecosystem sucks. Let's not forget the environmental impact that the manufacturing and disposing of these consoles has. Having multiple consoles that essentially do the same thing is so wasteful. MS going full multiplat is a blessing.

I am with him^. Consumers need less choice. I think it would be wise if we only had Sony TV's too while we are at it. I mean, Samsung, Vizio, LG, TCL are redundant, and are just TV's that do the same thing.

In fact, we should just have one car too. Everyone in the world just get to choose between a Toyota Corolla or a Toyota Corolla Pro.

This will help save the environment too.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KvallyX
@Archangel3371 said:

Sega would be the one that I would most like to see. Apple would be one of the absolute last that I would want in the console space given their business practices.

In a perfect world we would have an Xbox, and AppleBox and a Switch. PC's for the elite though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

None. all games should be multiplats now. its best scenerio.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Sega needs to make a comeback!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

@kvallyx: Applebox? Oh hell no! 😅

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
@kvallyx said:
@Archangel3371 said:

In a perfect world we would have an Xbox, and AppleBox and a Switch. PC's for the elite though.

Apple TV plays games, are they going to get the games that are being ported to iPhone and all that? They're also working on some Proton-like compatibility tool for devs.

@Archangel3371: Apple seems to always be hot and cold with games and never really committed

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BassMan

@kvallyx: There is plenty of hardware choice without closed ecosystems. Just look at PC. You can buy different desktop PCs, laptops, handhelds, and customize them as you please. Do you need to buy multiple PCs to get access to all the PC games? No. Closed off consoles and exclusives are terrible for the consumer.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46324 Posts

After the Xbox fridge I feel they should definitely try the Xbox grill.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@R4gn4r0k:

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zero_epyon

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't know. Just don't let Elon Musk anywhere near the idea.

"X" Box - HHuuuuaaaagh!

Yeah that dude needs to stay away from gaming period.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11100 Posts

@BassMan said:

Why would you want yet another console? Wasting more money on redundant hardware and getting trapped in a closed ecosystem sucks. Let's not forget the environmental impact that the manufacturing and disposing of these consoles has. Having multiple consoles that essentially do the same thing is so wasteful. MS going full multiplat is a blessing (if that is what they intend to do).

Why not? Consoles aren't causing anymore environmental waste than old PCs. Any market should be open to choice. Console should be for those that want an easier gaming experience. PCs should be for those that don't mind doing a little more work but being rewarded with a more customizable platform with more at their disposal.

As much as we give each other shit about how we play games, competition should always be welcome. Hell, I know nVidia could certainly use the competition on the GPU side.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zero_epyon
@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah I sorta agree that from a consumer standpoint, Apple would suck. They'd be the one's who could put something out the fastest but it'll cost $1500 and only play app store games. I wouldn't mind a Sega console but they're probably not willing to risk bankruptcy again trying to compete in the console market.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KvallyX

@BassMan said:

@kvallyx: There is plenty of hardware choice without closed ecosystems. Just look at PC. You can buy different desktop PCs, laptops, handhelds, and customize them as you please. Do you need to buy multiple PCs to get access to all the PC games? No. Closed off consoles and exclusives are terrible for the consumer.

I am 1000% for the consumer. But from the business side, exclusives are what lure customers to your business (in addition to a quality product, unique features, and good service). Would I rather have the exclusive TV shows from HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount Plus, Netflix, Hulu, AppleTV, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus etc all in just a single service? As a consumer, HELL YEAH. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want that.

MS had a goal of having Game Pass for all their first party games (and 3rd party games that joined Game Pass) on all closed off consoles as well as mobile devices, TVs. That is friendly for consumers. Preventing Game Pass on Switch, PlayStation is anti-consumer.

Us, the consumers, deserve the best. But in the end, it's business, and their end game is their pockets. The corporation I work for is also very competitive, has exclusive contracts with merchants, and we find ways to bring people into our ecosystem through those tactics. It's why I get a paycheck.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon
@BassMan said:

I'm not saying I want a new console but I believe one of these tech companies is going to try to capture what Xbox leaves behind.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BassMan
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@BassMan said:

Why not? Consoles aren't causing anymore environmental waste than old PCs. Any market should be open to choice. Console should be for those that want an easier gaming experience. PCs should be for those that don't mind doing a little more work but being rewarded with a more customizable platform with more at their disposal.

As much as we give each other shit about how we play games, competition should always be welcome. Hell, I know nVidia could certainly use the competition on the GPU side.

I am not against the simplicity of a console. Consoles can exist with set specs without being a closed off platform. The issue is the redundancy and wastefulness of multiple closed consoles. They do the same thing and offer similar level of performance. So, why do we need more than one during a generation? You should be able to buy one and have access to all the games. I have been enjoying MS games for years on PC and I don't even own a Series console, which shows it is unnecessary. I want full day one PC support from Sony as well. That way I no longer have to buy a Playstation either. Why would I want to play games on console when my PC destroys them? It is silly.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BassMan

@kvallyx: Having exclusives under a service is different than locking them behind hardware. Do you need to buy a different car to drive to each restaurant? One car for McDonald's, another for Burger King, etc.. Ridiculous, isn't it? So, why is it acceptable for consoles?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KvallyX

@BassMan said:

@kvallyx: Having exclusives under a service is different than locking them behind hardware. Do you need to buy a different car to drive to each restaurant? One car for McDonald's, another for Burger King, etc.. Ridiculous, isn't it? So, why is it acceptable for consoles?

But MS doesn't want to lock theirs behind hardware. They wanted their service with games on all devices.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

anything but Apple, Amazon and Goole. they already own to much space as it is.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BassMan
@kvallyx said:
@BassMan said:

But MS doesn't want to lock theirs behind hardware. They wanted their service with games on all devices.

That is why I am all for what MS is doing. Allow people to choose their hardware/platform. Allow people to choose to subscribe to GamePass or buy the games individually.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

There is two ways to look at this.

A console that, in and of itself, brings value. Or a console that is the base for an Eco system.

For the former, Valve maybe. A new steam console that offers reasonable specs for console prices could be of interest to many (especially with the lower end of the PC market being in a bit of a neglected state). It would be competing directly with all other Desktop PCs, Laptops and Steam Decks though as well as the used second hand market. Still an open console essentially for people to use and tinker with as they please could be an interesting proposition. A new steam controller (comically underrated) to go with it would be sweet. However a fully locked down console from valve would probably go down like a rat sandwich.

I don't really see any other companies getting into console hardware. Peripherals, yes, but not the box under the telly. There is no money in it. Apple don't have any interest in selling 500 buck consoles that make no money. They would much rather sell 1200 buck iphones with a big fat markup instead.....and sell services on top of that too. The console hardware business, on it's own, is highly toxic in it's current setup and no companies are or will rush to it.

The second option: building the eco system. I think companies like Disney and Netflix could be interested maybe....if there is a gap Netflix are dipping their toes in gaming but, so far, they haven't made a move on the hardware side. But if they decided to go big....an Nbox combined with the phone business model (get the console for 100 bucks and a 5 year Netflix premium sub contract)....maybe that could pull new customers in. They need the right content though. They really need that attention grabber to tempt people.

Most companies that try to build an eco system outside the big 3 try to do it through cloud streaming. They fail badly but they keep trying because, to take the console route, it will probably cost them 10 billion bucks just to get their foot in the door. They really don't want to spend that.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KvallyX

@BassMan said:
@kvallyx said:
@BassMan said:

That is why I am all for what MS is doing. Allow people to choose their hardware/platform. Allow people to choose to subscribe to GamePass or buy the games individually.

Looks like we are on the same page.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GirlUSoCrazy

@BassMan: If you get a lot of hardware, then you don't end up with a specific target, which is what allows developers to provide games that perform consistently and are tuned specifically. You also end up with higher end devices where people complain devs are not properly exploiting that hardware, because devs will target the lowest common denominator to get the widest possible release. Features that are unique that hardware vendors want to introduce would end up underutilized too, so it would be hard to showcase and do something new and special. There might be less innovation in hardware due to this. Having some sort of fixed spec has some benefits.

I wonder how it would end up if it went as you say...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BassMan

@girlusocrazy: There are standards that can be agreed upon by manufacturers. There can even be several tiers that developers could target. Games can scale as needed. A console does not need to be a locked ecosystem that one greedy company controls.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GirlUSoCrazy

@BassMan: If that happened, it would be nice to see some specific target specs to be agreed upon, in order to have a consistent and quality experience, and also something solid for developers to work with. However, I wonder if a target spec would mean people would cut corners to achieve a cheaper box, because that would be one of the things they would end up competing on. It would be interesting for them to try this though. Hopefully it would lead to a good environment both for developers and consumers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46324 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Perfect! I'd buy that for sure.

I use my airfryer at least twice a week.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

Going PC only next gen for sure

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts

Still Microsoft, but this time while doing it better.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@BassMan said:

Why would you want yet another console? Wasting more money on redundant hardware and getting trapped in a closed ecosystem sucks. Let's not forget the environmental impact that the manufacturing and disposing of these consoles has. Having multiple consoles that essentially do the same thing is so wasteful. MS going full multiplat is a blessing.

I am with him^. Consumers need less choice. I think it would be wise if we only had Sony TV's too while we are at it. I mean, Samsung, Vizio, LG, TCL are redundant, and are just TV's that do the same thing.

In fact, we should just have one car too. Everyone in the world just get to choose between a Toyota Corolla or a Toyota Corolla Pro.

This will help save the environment too.

We have our differences, but I love this post LMFAO

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

Now, hear me out....

Steam Machines

eh? eh?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Honestly, no one will enter the market.

If Microsoft and Xbox cannot beat Nintendo and PlayStation then nobody will come in and disrupt them.

Everyone else's best bet is to focus on their app stores or perhaps streaming down the road.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@pyro1245: Add Proton to that and you've got something

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34618 Posts

None, I think.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@Zero_epyon: these dumb threads should be locked. Xbox not going anywhere 🤡

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@BassMan: yep, Xbox for the gamers and the environment. Uncle Phil cares.

Also #gamepassorbust.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zero_epyon

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Zero_epyon: these dumb threads should be locked. Xbox not going anywhere 🤡

"Should Microsoft discontinue the Xbox console"....

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

Nahh, let's keep it PC / PS / Nintendo and we're good.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#49 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I’d like to see MS and Sony combine. Releasing Halo on the PS5 would be Bizarre. Sony/ MS would have to agree on working together on allowing to release XSX controllers on the PS5 or whatever console they would have together. I’m not a fan of the Sony controllers.😕

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Nothing - Xbox take over happening you get Xbox PC and Xbox Play Station and Xbox Phone and Xbox Switch - this is the plan and why Uncle Phil he wins the Joystick Award he is a genius!!

Best Xbox Boss life time acheivement!

Xbox Won the console war it is over!!!