Important Update to the GameSpot Community Code of Conduct

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerSpiderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 TigerSpiderman
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] No you said he was banned here's the quote tree:

[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Well there's that Jakandsigz fellow. 

Jonwh18

Which i would not know of because it's been like 5 months since i was here.

But you where here just yesterday before getting banned! :o 

You clearly were talking about Jak, who is not banned. So how could he be banned if he is not banned? You getting memory loss at an early age man?
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="TigerSpiderman"] Which i would not know of because it's been like 5 months since i was here.TigerSpiderman

But you where here just yesterday before getting banned! :o 

You clearly were talking about Jak, who is not banned. So how could he be banned if he is not banned? You getting memory loss at an early age man?

You do realize everyone can just go back and read the converstation correct? I called you out for being Nation protector serveral times. Then you said 

"Can't think of any other person who when in a corner just says the same thing over and over to be annoying."

And I replied "Well there's that Jakandsigz fellow." 

Then you said : "Which i would not know of because it's been like 5 months since i was here."

And I said: "But you where here just yesterday before getting banned! surprised.gif" 

Obviously refering to nationprotector who was just banned yesterday. 

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
the 3 strikes is BS and i am talking in general,lets say a nice well known user that is known for intelligent debates,that doesn't troll and contributes a lot happens to say some things that fall under the category of 3 strikes..are they going to ban them and ignore all the nice things about the these users?
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Jonwh18

the 3 strikes is BS and i am talking in general,lets say a nice well known user that is known for intelligent debates,that doesn't troll and contributes a lot happens to say some things that fall under the category of 3 strikes..are they going to ban them and ignore all the nice things about the these users?Tessellation
Are you insinuating that you are one such user? 

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"]the 3 strikes is BS and i am talking in general,lets say a nice well known user that is known for intelligent debates,that doesn't troll and contributes a lot happens to say some things that fall under the category of 3 strikes..are they going to ban them and ignore all the nice things about the these users?Jonwh18

I don't really care what you think about me and don't think you fall in that category either :cool: + i am talking in general users like psymon100 etc.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"]the 3 strikes is BS and i am talking in general,lets say a nice well known user that is known for intelligent debates,that doesn't troll and contributes a lot happens to say some things that fall under the category of 3 strikes..are they going to ban them and ignore all the nice things about the these users?Tessellation

I don't really care what you think about me and don't think you fall in that category either :cool: + i am talking in general users like psymon100 etc.

Well that type of user would be smart enough not to get three strikes to begin with, wouldn't they?

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] Are you insinuating that you are one such user? 

Jonwh18

Well that type of user would be smart enough not to get three strikes to begin with, wouldn't they?

it isn't about being smart or not,if you say something that someone doesn't like they will report you,even if your post wasn't trolling or harmful material.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] I don't really care what you think about me and don't think you fall in that category either :cool: + i am talking in general users like psymon100 etc.Tessellation

it isn't about being smart or not,if you say something that someone doesn't like they will report you,even if your post wasn't trolling or harmful material.

but then they wouldn't actually be modded and the person who reported such a thing could find themselves in trouble.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#109 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.Stevo_the_gamer

No troll will ever top yo-foo anf gingerdivid.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Tessellation
Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.Stevo_the_gamer
no if trolling is allowed, if new troll account gets banned they will make a new one..you guys will go crazy banning people everyday.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#112 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
No, it won't, because trolling isn't dependent on personal attacks. All trolls have to do is hype the mediocre launch games for the X1 and act like it's going to beat the PS4, and it will be just as lazy and obvious as ever, yet kids will take the bait every time. [spoiler] See how easy that was? [/spoiler]
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.Tessellation
no if trolling is allowed, if new troll account gets banned they will make a new one..you guys will go crazy banning people everyday.

that's nothing new, though.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Tessellation

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.CaseyWegner

that's nothing new, though.

i don't really know what they use to stop ban-dodging here,but looks like it doesn't work at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Your post sounds like a huge contradiction

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts
[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

Great, you give us a shitty new layout that makes me vomit, and then make it so SW isn't fun anymore.

Keep on being unintelligent.

SWs isn't fun, unless you like looking at trolls all day. Most conversations are mostly trolls making the same old post day after day.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.seanmcloughlin

Your post sounds like a huge contradiction

How so?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.Tessellation

lol decent discussion?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.Animal-Mother

lol decent discussion?

Why is that funny?
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] no if trolling is allowed, if new troll account gets banned they will make a new one..you guys will go crazy banning people everyday.Stevo_the_gamer
lol decent discussion?

Why is that funny?

because you also said trolls. Which don't want to have a decent discussion at all. They just want to wasate your time because they have nothing better to do.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] no if trolling is allowed, if new troll account gets banned they will make a new one..you guys will go crazy banning people everyday.

lol decent discussion?

Why is that funny?

Telling us that trolls have to work harder doesn't make a more decent discussion. They just resort to scummier tactics than. Like sean said it's absolutely contradicting.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
because you also said trolls. Which don't want to have a decent discussion at all. They just want to wasate your time because they have nothing better to do.Jonwh18
Trolls will always be around so pretending we can rid of them all is silly, but now trolls are going to have to make an effort. What sucked the fun out of SW was the removal of a lot of the "actual debate discussion" and implementation of "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO."
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
nah the site will be just as crappy, It wasn't very good back then BUT its far worse now.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]because you also said trolls. Which don't want to have a decent discussion at all. They just want to wasate your time because they have nothing better to do.Stevo_the_gamer
Trolls will always be around so pretending we can rid of them all is silly, but now trolls are going to have to make an effort. What sucked the fun out of SW was the removal of a lot of the "actual debate discussion" and implementation of "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO."

"GameSpot will not tolerate hate speech, threats, and we will ban accordingly at our own discretion." Saying "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO." does not fall under the above guidelines...OR DOES IT? :o
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"]because you also said trolls. Which don't want to have a decent discussion at all. They just want to wasate your time because they have nothing better to do.Heil68

"GameSpot will not tolerate hate speech, threats, and we will ban accordingly at our own discretion." Saying "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO." does not fall under the above guidelines...OR DOES IT? :o

From this point forward, personal attacks towards anyone will not be tolerated.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Trolls will always be around so pretending we can rid of them all is silly, but now trolls are going to have to make an effort. What sucked the fun out of SW was the removal of a lot of the "actual debate discussion" and implementation of "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO." Stevo_the_gamer

Well I live the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle, so I'm golden baby...awwww yeahhhhhh #legendary :D
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Trolls will always be around so pretending we can rid of them all is silly, but now trolls are going to have to make an effort. What sucked the fun out of SW was the removal of a lot of the "actual debate discussion" and implementation of "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO." Stevo_the_gamer

That's great *applause*
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Heil68
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] "GameSpot will not tolerate hate speech, threats, and we will ban accordingly at our own discretion." Saying "lol butthurt" or "virgin lol," or "TXHBO." does not fall under the above guidelines...OR DOES IT? :o Zensword

That's great *applause*

Agree. Being on the end of unjustified attacks when all I'm doing is spreading the #truth can be disheartening. Nice to know Steveo will be protecting me against such barbaric attacks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

So I understand the warning system and the "no insulting other people" rules, but please don't tell me we're reverting all the way back to the very old ToU where you get moderated for so much as sneezing...

And the layout is horrible, I don't mind the change, but why make it plain and dull like GB? And don't even get me started on the sigs...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#130 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Vague rules, ripe for moderation abuse.deangallop

Just how the ego-maniacal admin/mod team like it.
The rules have not been fully revealed yet. super600
Same bullsh!t you guys were shoveling a month ago when this change was announced. Why not just go full-disclosure and wait for feedback?
The "Golden Age" is a myth pervaded by the nostalgic. The posting in System Wars has never been "good". There are gems hidden amongst the sea of filth, but we still have it, you just obviously aren't looking hard enough.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 foxhound_fox
From this point forward, personal attacks towards anyone will not be tolerated.Stevo_the_gamer
People need to learn that life isn't fair and them being on the internet doesn't entitle them to be free from offense. Almost exactly like life. :| At least on a computer, you can hit the red x or turn it off. Can't wait till I get banned.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]From this point forward, personal attacks towards anyone will not be tolerated.foxhound_fox
People need to learn that life isn't fair and them being on the internet doesn't entitle them to be free from offense. Almost exactly like life. :| At least on a computer, you can hit the red x or turn it off. Can't wait till I get banned.

There is a lot of entitlements in the public arena; but that's a discussion that's reserved for off-topic. GS has decided that enough is enough and that it will no longer tolerate jerks. I think that's pretty fair.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 CaseyWegner

So I understand the warning system and the "no insulting other people" rules, but please don't tell me we're reverting all the way back to the very old ToU where you get moderated for so much as sneezing...

And the layout is horrible, I don't mind the change, but why make it plain and dull like GB? And don't even get me started on the sigs...

XVision84

not quite. you can get moderated for flaming but not for trolling...as long as it's not stupid trolling. trolling was by far the most common moderation under the very old tou.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 foxhound_fox
There is a lot of entitlements in the public arena; but that's a discussion that's reserved for off-topic. GS has decided that enough is enough and that it will no longer tolerate jerks. I think that's pretty fair. Stevo_the_gamer
Then they'll have to ban over half the community.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Tessellation

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

CaseyWegner

not quite. you can get moderated for flaming but not for trolling...as long as it's not stupid trolling. trolling was by far the most common moderation under the very old tou.

havent you seen some posts? the 3 strikes rules is official up and running,yet people keeps doing it and moderations not taking care of.
NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Perhaps this will bring back the decent discussion that we saw years ago where people actually had to make an effort to troll.foxhound_fox
The "Golden Age" is a myth pervaded by the nostalgic. The posting in System Wars has never been "good". There are gems hidden amongst the sea of filth, but we still have it, you just obviously aren't looking hard enough.

Now, I've been actively posting here for "only" a year and a half, so I can't comment on this with total certainty, but that's the exact same impression I'm getting. i mean, how good can a posting quality be in a place dedicated to pitting video game consoles against each other, which is a very trivial matter in the larger scheme of things?

In a place called System Wars, I believe this lenient ToU we had until now established a natural order of things, users having to fend for themselves, with mods stepping in only when things got really ugly. That worked perfectly for me, also, even the board description states this place isn't for everyone, and expects you to grow a thicker skin in order to have fun:

"Not many people survive System Wars. The mightiest system warriors back up their arguments with facts."

And, I fully agree how there's still plenty of "gems" to be found here, hell, of the top of my head, I believe I could list at least 15 regulars whose contributions I enjoy a lot. And since SW is a pretty small community, that's a very good number.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Oh boy...

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Tessellation

havent you seen some posts? the 3 strikes rules is official up and running,yet people keeps doing it and moderations not taking care of.

transition phase, i suppose.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

CaseyWegner

how do you define flaming?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#140 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Interesting that this change has been placed into effect so quickly. It should be fine though; isn't too hard to follow the rules and have some courtesy toward others. 

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]There is a lot of entitlements in the public arena; but that's a discussion that's reserved for off-topic. GS has decided that enough is enough and that it will no longer tolerate jerks. I think that's pretty fair. foxhound_fox

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure a lot of folks will wise up after their 7-day suspension.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Whatever it is, it can't be worse than the site's new designcharizard1605

Yeah, I still can't make comments in the New Section or in Reviews. :roll:

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]There is a lot of entitlements in the public arena; but that's a discussion that's reserved for off-topic. GS has decided that enough is enough and that it will no longer tolerate jerks. I think that's pretty fair. Stevo_the_gamer

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure a lot of folks will wise up after their 7-day suspension.

See but that shouldn't be a necessary comment. Why do we have to feel as if the chains have been loosened and re-tightened. I'm not gonna sit here and say what a corporation can and can't do with their website. But overall beauties in the eye of the beholder. What may seem flamish or wrong to you may not seem that way to hazy or other mods. It can easily becomes a war of mods just taking care of people they don't like at the end of the day.

The_Power_of_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 The_Power_of_X
Member since 2013 • 563 Posts

Come on guys, is it that hard not to insult obvious trolls/idiots? This new change seems ok, not necessary but not the worst thing that could happen. 

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

So, this will be a ghost town in a bit.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 CaseyWegner

Lumpy311

it wasn't a ghost town when the rules were stricter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#147 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

CaseyWegner

The rules were never stricter. Nor were they ever as ambiguous.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#148 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

This code of conduct is very vague. 

sherman-tank1

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Lumpy311"]

charizard1605

trolling is allowed now. calling somebody a troll is allowed now. posting an opinion without fully backing it up is allowed now. how are the new rules stricter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#150 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

trolling is allowed now. calling somebody a troll is allowed now. posting an opinion without fully backing it up is allowed now. how are the new rules stricter?

a) They're ambiguous enough to allow 'moderator discretion' for just about anything. Flaming is not allowed. I can't call someone an idiot if they are being an idiot. And any ambiguity in my posts might mean that a mod who is having a bad say sees it fit to give me a moderation b) The new rules come with stricter punishments. By a lot. Even the old ToU wasn't this bad. In this case, not only do you have an uncompromising three strike system, but you've also coupled it with the vaguest ruleset of all time. Don't bother responding, incidentally. You're not going to convince me, especially since I feel all your responses sound like PR mouthspeak at best. If and when you are ready to understand that the punishments for rules are also a part of said rules, then we can have a reasonable discussion, but as long as you continue to make an arbitrary distinction between 'new rules' and 'new punishments,' we're not getting any where.