I'm gonna remake this thread and then remaster it.

• 91 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6055 Posts

What are we doing here guys? by that I mean there's over 30 remasters/remakes coming this year. We went from 1 or 2 a year to 1 every 2nd week, and it will most likely only get worse next year and so on.

• The Last of Us Part II Remastered – Jan 19
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy – Jan 25
  • Hitman Blood Money – Reprisal – Jan 25
  • Persona 3 Reload – Feb 2
  • Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered – Feb 14
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong – Feb 16
  • Brothers A Tale of Two Sons Remake – Feb 28
  • Star Wars Dark Forces Remaster – Feb 28
  • Final Fantasy Rebirth -- Feb 29th
  • STALKER: Legends of the Zone Trilogy – March 6
  • Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection – March 14
  • Gigantic – April 9
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants – April 23
  • El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron HD Remaster – April 28
  • Braid: Anniversary Edition — April 30
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door – May 23
  • Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD – June 27
  • Age of Mythology – 2024
  • Beyond Good and Evil 20th Anniversary – 2024
  • Epic Mickey Rebrushed – 2024
  • Gothic remake – 2024
  • Lollipop Chainsaw Repop – 2024
  • Metal Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater – 2024
  • Riven remake – 2024
  • Rugrats: Adventures in Gameland – 2024
  • Shadows of the Damned Hella Remastered – 2024
  • Silent Hill 2 remake – 2024
  • Sonic Generations X Shadow -2024
  • Until Dawn remaster – 2024

And there's still probably more, no wonder gaming sucks these days. I'd rather sequels or new ip's then devs just cashing in on old games. By doing this devs are wasting resources on old stuff and in turn are going to take even longer to release new games.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

@last_lap: we don’t need new games. We need new IPs that signify how good video games can be. We’re kind of in a slump these days, I’ll admit.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Each of those games could've been a new ip.... Instead🤷

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Final fantasy 7 Rebirth is not a remaster or remake but a sequel to FF7 Remake which was a sequel to original FF7.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

I could blame ND for remastering and rereleasing their titles all the time, but isn't this problem part of an even bigger problem?

The slowed down production of games, the overemphasis on live service?

Valve, Rockstar, ... developers that used to make a ton of games, now create one big game every decade.

Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, ... all publishers that used to publish a variety of games, now focus on that one big product that'll make them cash.

This industry is way too cautious for their own good, and this is resulting in a ton of remasters and remakes, to play it safe.

And can we blame them? Is new IP like Banishers or Rise of the ronin really selling numbers? People ain't buying games, they're buying remaster and franchises.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12971 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Final fantasy 7 Rebirth is not a remaster or remake but a sequel to FF7 Remake which was a sequel to original FF7.

No.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

I like remakes if it improved and overhaul over previous.

FF7 and RE4 is especially RE4 remake raise the bar.

remastered? dont care. they are cashgrabs.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Remake your taste in gaming please.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Last_Lap  Online

@outworld222 said:

@last_lap: we don’t need new games. We need new IPs that signify how good video games can be. We’re kind of in a slump these days, I’ll admit.

I'm happy with sequels or new ip's, but gamers want to keep buying these remasters/remakes and it's getting out of control.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Last_Lap  Online
@TheEroica said:

Each of those games could've been a new ip.... Instead🤷

Or sequels to existing games, just not remakes or remasters.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Last_Lap  Online

@sakaixx said:

Those mental gymnastics are crazy 🤣

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5253 Posts

Of the new IPs that are released each year, how many of them sell well or stand out from other games? Most new IPs are unoriginal and quickly forgettable. Only a few stand out.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45125 Posts

not like you’re being forced to buy them 😄 people like their remasters/remakes, so they will continue to exist.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Last_Lap  Online

@onesiphorus said:

Of the new IPs that are released each year, how many of them sell well or stand out from other games? Most new IPs are unoriginal and quickly forgettable. Only a few stand out.

So, what do you want devs to do, just stop making new games and just remaster or remake their entire catalogues?

Some games fail while other succeed, it's been that way since the beginning of gaming, it's just this and last gen that remasters and remakes have become a stain on the gaming industry.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

Gamers want remakes and remasters, developers respond to demands. New IP failure rates are super high because gamers don't support new IPs. 🤷‍♂️

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

I was interested in Star Wars Dark Forces remaster, but £25 for that?

The graphics look shit. As a retro gamer, that isn't my issue, but what are they charging for? It's more like an enhanced re-release. The entire Stalker Trilogy is £33.

One TC missed unless it came out late last year, is the Jurassic Park collection of the old 2D games. Also £25. What are these guys smoking, the games weren't even that good.

The original Tomb Raider Trilogy was needed though. In the UK, back when the PS1 came out we only got a 50Hz version, so it runs 17% slower and already it's a slow game. The PC version now, isn't the easiest to get running right and the controls aren't great on the keyboard. A game from a UK studio and we didn't even get the best version of it on consoles because of 50Hz. I had been looking for a comfortable way to play it for a long time.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

not like you’re being forced to buy them 😄 people like their remasters/remakes, so they will continue to exist.

I knew this argument would come up. By putting resources (people) it then takes longer for newer games to be made, I know you don't understand this because you buy remakes and remasters all the time 🤦‍♂️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap  Online
@Pedro said:

Gamers want remakes and remasters, developers respond to demands. New IP failure rates are super high because gamers don't support new IPs. 🤷‍♂️

Do you have some proof that new ip's failure rates are super high, or is that just speculation from you?

Also, there's a thread about the Dead Space 2 remake being cancelled because the remake of the first games sales were poor, not exactly demand for everything remasters/remakes.

Devs see some sell well and then jump onboard because remasters especially are cheaper to make.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

@Pedro said:

😢😭

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

@last_lap said:
@sakaixx said:

People do tend to hate when they can't play on their fav console ~

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

If they didn't sell, they'd stop making'em. ;o

For me tho, since I pretty much am GP only, bring'em on, doesn't cost me anything extra. lol :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8089 Posts

game development is a risky business and nostalgia is a proven seller.. this is the result.. 🤷‍♂️

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Older games that are hard to get or made at a time when hardware was vastly inferior (Tomb Raider) fine with and look forward to. And indeed have a good time with.

Where I take issue with is price points, quality and de-listing originals in a cynical attempt to funnel people into the higher price point.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@Pedro said:

we all know why. but you seem to ignore it.

the developers are more interested to push political agenda crap than to make a good story.

look at forspoken and suicide squad and more. look it Alloy she was straight in the first game then DLC she had to kiss a girl.

same as the movies as well. the old reruns are watch more than this new crap political agenda pushing movies.

we use games and movie to escape this crap yet they are forcing developers to push it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

@HalcyonScarlet said:

The graphics look shit. As a retro gamer, that isn't my issue, but what are they charging for? It's more like an enhanced re-release. The entire Stalker Trilogy is £33.

One TC missed unless it came out late last year, is the Jurassic Park collection of the old 2D games. Also £25. What are these guys smoking, the games weren't even that good.

The original Tomb Raider Trilogy was needed though. In the UK, back when the PS1 came out we only got a 50Hz version, so it runs 17% slower and already it's a slow game. The PC version now, isn't the easiest to get running right and the controls aren't great on the keyboard. A game from a UK studio and we didn't even get the best version of it on consoles because of 50Hz. I had been looking for a comfortable way to play it for a long time.

Nightdive remasters used to be dirt cheap. But they got acquired by Atari and ever since their prices have gone up. They've released both Turok and Dark Forces since then and yeah both have been quite expensive to say the least.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Yup.

I dont mond remakes of games in the nes to ps1 gens, but it's out if hand now.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8415 Posts

What irks me about these remakes/remasters, is how they go up for GOTY considerations.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts

Supply and demand.

We complain about remakes and remasters.........then a few things happen:

1. We buy them in large numbers, so devs keep making them

2. Every time a remake is announced, we talk about more that we WISH would/should be remastered/remade.

3. "What game would you like to see remade/remastered" threads always do very well

4. We create this thread complaining about all of the remasters that we totally aren't going to buy lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts

I’m fine with them myself. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth had a massive amount effort put into it. Both Remake and Rebirth expand on the original in incredible ways. Rebirth is not only my game of the year for 2024 but also one of if not the greatest game that I have ever played.

Resident Evil Remakes, Dead Space Remake, and Persona 3 Reload were excellent as well. Am really looking forward to Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Lollipop Chainsaw, and Metal Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater. There’s a ton of other games that I wouldn’t mind seeing get a remaster or remake to.

I enjoy seeing my favourite games get brought up to current systems all spruced up, fixed up, and expanded upon.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56122 Posts

Bringing up remasters and remakes awareness is just downright silly and I'll explain it all.

I don't think it's a bad thing, we are genuinely at a place with technology & newer game engine now where a remake or remaster is an entirely new gaming experience. You can think of it two ways.

1 - not only does it hit on nostalgic factor for all of us gamers who have been around the block, but it also appeals to the new generation of gamers today who didn't get to experience the classics of the early days and most likely wouldn't, given how dates graphics were such as FF7 Remake, Dead Space Remake, or even Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.

2 - It's a win-win for developers because they don't have to entirely reinvent the wheel, though I understand this is a cop-out answer to some. When I think about how many actual new games have come out and how lackluster/rushed/unsatisfying they are, I think there's definitely some value in remakes/remasters.

And I've said this many times, remakes & remasters do in fact play a part in the gaming market as fillers just as Indie games are. The dire truth is, that some of you gamers are still ignoring that developing any new IP games now takes much longer (3-8 years) and is a greater endeavor by game developers because market expectations are now totally through the roof! Console lifespans are around 5-10 (including mid-gens refresh between the lifespan) years and in that time, a game studio will maybe get to pump out 1 title whereas before they could go for 2, 3, and before that, 5. These current gens needs extra library padding and because graphical fidelity is starting to break even, it becomes more acceptable to do remakes & remasters of older past-generational titles that flatly speaking still hold up graphically. Even DF knows we have hit development hell! That's the reality we are in now and remakes to remasters are just fillers for now.

Also, keep in mind if one developer/publisher announces a remake/remaster, that developer may not know that the other studio is also announcing a remake/remaster so that's something some of you folks seem to forget not everyone keeps tabs on what the other guy is planing and why you see more remakes/remasters.

That being said, I'm so damn glad I game on PC, I have access to more games I have than ever before, I'm natural to remakes/remasters and they are a hit or a miss for me. I'm still hoping for Uncharted 1 get the remake treatment and that's another thing I need to bring up. The sad reality is, that a lot of older 3D games just weren't future-proof, and certain quality-of-life things that we now take for granted weren't standardized before. I am more than happy if they re-release them to ensure I'll be able to play them in comfort for 20+ years from now on. I can still enjoy playing N64 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask but I'm also open for those to get remakes.

All in all, you either take or leave remakes/remasters.

@navyguy21 said:

4. We create this thread complaining about all of the remasters that we totally aren't going to buy lol

Not exactly complaining, just not thinking straight is what's happening and well, killing time coming here is also helps😉

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

Wasted on this TikTok generation who'd rather just look at themselves on their phones, on vertical video no less. Doesn't matter if new games, old game, remasters, whatever, they'd rather steal a KIA with a phone and USB C cable and do smash and runs on all local pot shops.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Nightdive remasters used to be dirt cheap. But they got acquired by Atari and ever since their prices have gone up. They've released both Turok and Dark Forces since then and yeah both have been quite expensive to say the least.

Turok was a decent port though and I thought was kind of worth it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts

There is no one to blame other than consumers... if you're buying these games that is why they exist and are plaguing the future release calender. It's WAY cheaper to slap a new coat of paint on top of an already finished product and releasing it again. Much higher profit margins for these companies to just keep releasing the same game over and over again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

I think about the Max Payne remakes daily.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I think about the Max Payne remakes daily.

exactly. Max Payne Remake is one of my most anticipated game. its 2 game in one actually. and imagine Max payne remake in Alan wake 2 graphics.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@gifford38 said:
@Pedro said:

we all know why. but you seem to ignore it.

the developers are more interested to push political agenda crap than to make a good story.

look at forspoken and suicide squad and more. look it Alloy she was straight in the first game then DLC she had to kiss a girl.

same as the movies as well. the old reruns are watch more than this new crap political agenda pushing movies.

we use games and movie to escape this crap yet they are forcing developers to push it.

Use your brain for once.🤷🏽‍♂️

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro
@last_lap said:
@Pedro said:

Do you have some proof that new ip's failure rates are super high, or is that just speculation from you?

Also, there's a thread about the Dead Space 2 remake being cancelled because the remake of the first games sales were poor, not exactly demand for everything remasters/remakes.

Devs see some sell well and then jump onboard because remasters especially are cheaper to make.

Not speculation. You can access yearly reports from Unity to get deeper insights on trends and datapoints. There are also GDC surveys and developer interviews from Unity. The reports are "free" (requires email).

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#38 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

Will this thread have unlocked frame rate, ultrawide support, HDR and RT? If so, I am interested. I hope the thread's mechanics get an update too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

It's easy to criticize but at the same time, when you look at that list in totality, it likely represents tens of billions of dollars of revenue with an investment only in the hundreds of millions.

Ultimately we have no one to blame but ourselves.

And, as always, please keep in mind your average Gamespot poster does not represent your average video game enjoyer. A casual on this boards is a pretty hardcore gamer out in the real world 😋For every one of us that says "Well I'm not buying it, I have standards!" there's probably 100,000 people that will.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Another thing about remasters is that they can also allow people who otherwise wouldn't have played, or have access to titles the ability to enjoy them.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Last_Lap  Online

@sakaixx said:
@last_lap said:
@sakaixx said:

People do tend to hate when they can't play on their fav console ~

Hate? I didn't single out any one game, YOU did.

Also I have a PS4 and have access to the first remake, but chose not to play it, still none of that changes your mental gymnastics.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap  Online

@Pedro said:
@last_lap said:
@Pedro said:

Not speculation. You can access yearly reports from Unity to get deeper insights on trends and datapoints. There are also GDC surveys and developer interviews from Unity. The reports are "free" (requires email).

You know how this works pedro, you make the claim then you need evidence to back up said claim, so if you have some please post links to it.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Last_Lap  Online

@navyguy21 said:

Supply and demand.

We complain about remakes and remasters.........then a few things happen:

1. We buy them in large numbers, so devs keep making them

2. Every time a remake is announced, we talk about more that we WISH would/should be remastered/remade.

3. "What game would you like to see remade/remastered" threads always do very well

I don't buy remakes or remasters though, I don't flip flop like a lot of gamers do.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

a thread about remasters and remakes by the new ip. very meta ;)

think it's fair to say we all want more new titles and don't like to see the ratio of new games to remasters reduce.

so when we see a list of remasters and remakes the size of the one in the op we instinctively think it means less new games or laziness on the studios part, no creativity, cash grabs etc.

but we also probably each have a handful of games either through nostalgia or missing out first time round that we'd be interested in seeing remade.

i never played demon's souls on the ps3. the remake is one of my favourite games this gen. ghost strongly disliked the og re4, the remake he thinks is a masterpiece. a lot on here didn't think dead space needed a remake, wenzen missed it first time round so he's interested. tomb raider is a classic game from cup's youth so he enjoys the remakes. etc etc. and it goes on for just about every gamer around the globe young and old.

everyone's got their reason. the exception that proves the rule

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56122 Posts

@last_lap said:
@Pedro said:

That DS2 Remake was debunked as I provided the link to the story but that's besides the point.

I've pointed out the new IP Banishers is a great game, but did you buy it to support the new IP game? If not, than that's your proof new IP games don't get the support they deserved. I actually like Forspoken which was a new IP game but was deemed a failure. but truth be told, it was a bad game with a lot of problems. Returnal, another new IP game that was released for PS5 is a great game I enjoy on PC but again, PS5 players didn't support it when it came out.

This isn't me saying Pedro is right but new IP games these days don't get the necessary support, and let's look at Stellar Blade, a new IP game is releasing next week and will it be a success? I hope so.

And I explained why you don't see more IP games in full detail above my post.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pedro

@last_lap: You can just look at the top selling games over the past decade. Otherwise you can take my claim as BS. 🤷‍♂️

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/power-franchises-ip-licensing-video-gaming-industry-today-wilkens

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Last_Lap  Online

@davillain: Yes I didn't buy Banishers after I received more information from you about the game, however I bought new ip's like Evil West, Atlas Fallen etc, among sequels which is also in my OG post, it's not all about new ip's nor did I make it solely about new ip's.

I'm happy for new ip's and sequels to existing games, I don't however like renasters/remakes.

Do new ip's fIl, fir sure, but we should support new ip's that are good, not just buy them if their average/bad because they're new ip's.

Starfield, Sea of Stars, Palworld all new ip's sold well last year, and I'm sure there are plenty more that I can't remember off the top off my head. Just like all remasters/remakes don't sell really well, there's a thread about Dead Space 2 remake being cancelled due to the first games remake sales being poor, so we can't say that everyone is demanding more of them.

I'm not totslly against remasters/remakes, but when 1 is releasing just about every week I feel it's gone too far, and is hampering new games production.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#48  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

People gravitate to things they are familiar with.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

Looking forward to Riven in VR tho

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points