IGDA slams Nintendo for Alison Rapp firing

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Last week, there was outrage over the firing of former Nintendo Treehouse employee, Alison Rapp. Though Nintendo releases this statement:

“Alison Rapp was terminated due to violation of an internal company policy involving holding a second job in conflict with Nintendo’s corporate culture. Though Ms. Rapp’s termination follows her being the subject of criticism from certain groups via social media several weeks ago, the two are absolutely not related.

Nintendo is a company committed to fostering inclusion and diversity in both our company and the broader video game industry and we firmly reject the harassment of individuals based on gender, race or personal beliefs. We wish Ms. Rapp well in her future endeavors.”

Some have pointed some rather... "dirty" things about her prior (which some call harassment) prior.

A week later and it's FAR from over, IGDA executive director Kate Edwards openly slams Nintendo for their actions here:

“While Nintendo’s official statement on the matter of Alison Rapp’s firing strives to distance the company from anything related to the orchestrated online campaign of harassment and defamation that was raging against her, their timing in dealing with the issue is dubious at best. Unfortunately, the company seems oblivious to the consequences of their actions, not realizing the perceived victory it handed to the online hate groups who are now pursuing the dismissal of other women game developers by derision and defamation to their companies. By now, we would expect that all game development and publishing companies would be fully aware of negative social media dynamics and be more discerning of online feedback, as well as more protective of their employees — especially their employees of diverse backgrounds. Many have become proactive and aware but this industry obviously needs to make more progress.”

Oh yikes! I was in a mental debate on whether or not to make a thread on this situation, but I felt the need to. (NOTE to mods: If this needs to be locked, go ahead).

(Otherwise) Thoughts?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I must be out of the loop because i have no clue who this person is

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

Is this something that should have been posted in System Wars and not in the general gaming board?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread created on this sooner, tbh. Considering all the hard-on boners for Nintendo hate around here, I am disappoint. :( Give me reason the shit on Ninty, GS!!

Who's to know? Nintendo is generally tone-deaf to anything that isn't relevant to their own on-goings, so any action they take, no matter how politically incorrect, astonishes me. It's just the way they operate. Hard to say whether the smear campaign against her amounted to any consideration in Nintendo's decision to let her go, but I wouldn't discount it. They are a company that is very aware of their perception and take measures to protect it, so it would not raise my brow at all to know that these organized, basement dwelling misogynists held some sway over their decision.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Gamers are shit, more at 11.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Is this something that should have been posted in System Wars and not in the general gaming board?

Maybe? To be fair, it's not like you don't see any "GGD" like posts on "SW" before.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@lostrib said:

A person with a mental disorder who promotes kiddy fiddling in Japan who worked for a company that makes kids games, you can kinda see the conflict of interest there even if it was something done years back.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

No major company is going to keep an employee that criticizes laws against pedophilia.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I have never seen anyone so open about their sexual preference. I don't know what to say tbh. I'm wired to think it's wrong, because of many reasons but who am I to judge.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Nintendo can fire who they want when they want. Most jobs are like that, plus she was a PR disaster.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I wonder what was the other job she was doing

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I get beardmad every time I read one of these articles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

GamerGate is vile and trash, and Nintendo are a bunch of cowards who should have at least had the decency to speak out in support of their employee, and time their termination of her contract better, given circumstances.

That's the summary of the situation.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@ten_pints said:
@lostrib said:

A person with a mental disorder who promotes kiddy fiddling in Japan who worked for a company that makes kids games, you can kinda see the conflict of interest there even if it was something done years back.

I thought that about her too.

But then I learned how to read.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MirkoS77

@PraetorianMan: it seems to be more and more a lost art these days.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

It just annoys the hell out of me that a lot of these people see this as "Nintendo fires Allison Rapp because she is a woman", and not of the stuff she supported and did outside of Nintendo.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Gamergate is not good thing but Alison's comments on pedophilia were disgusting and no company would want the pr hit by supporting an employee with an absolutely sick view of a very sensitive matter.

Nintendo is in the right at the end of the day.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

Yup

Some of the posters in this thread serving as further examples.

@charizard1605 said:

GamerGate is vile and trash, and Nintendo are a bunch of cowards who should have at least had the decency to speak out in support of their employee, and time their termination of her contract better, given circumstances.

Nintendo is like every scummy corporation, they will only look out for themselves. It wouldn't be surprising if they're using "moonlighting" as an excuse to publically terminate her. It's not exactly new for corporations to fire controversial figures in their employment, even if was morally wrong.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

Some have pointed some rather... "dirty" things about her prior (which some call harassment) prior.

wtf is that, am I missing something here, or is it straight up fake?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yup

Some of the posters in this thread serving as further examples.

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo is like every scummy corporation, they will only look out for themselves. It wouldn't be surprising if they're using "moonlighting" as an excuse to publically terminate her. It's not exactly new for corporations to fire controversial figures in their employment, even if was morally wrong.

Of course they will lookout for themselves, who wouldn't? You companies reputation is always on the line! Granted how Nintendo handle this situation is piss poor, but she was already been found out that she supports pedophilia and Nintendo is a company that markets to children in the eyes of parents.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#23 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

If she really does support pedophilia then she deserves to be fired, especially for a family friendly company like Nintendo.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I've had a lot of time to think about this since this is older news and honestly I just can't be worked up to care enough.

Also, the IGDA has been a complete joke for years. Please don't give that corrupted monster a platform as if they are relevant.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FireEmblem_Man

@MirkoS77 said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread created on this sooner, tbh. Considering all the hard-on boners for Nintendo hate around here, I am disappoint. :( Give me reason the shit on Ninty, GS!!

Who's to know? Nintendo is generally tone-deaf to anything that isn't relevant to their own on-goings, so any action they take, no matter how politically incorrect, astonishes me. It's just the way they operate. Hard to say whether the smear campaign against her amounted to any consideration in Nintendo's decision to let her go, but I wouldn't discount it. They are a company that is very aware of their perception and take measures to protect it, so it would not raise my brow at all to know that these organized, basement dwelling misogynists held some sway over their decision.

Nintendo, like all corporations, have a reputation to keep. We can always question them regarding how they censor their games and how they handle their business. As a global corporation that provides Video Games as family-friendly entertainment, you're better to have your staff to keep their personal business in the closet regardless of their political and religious beliefs. Idiots that defend Ms. Rapp, forget that Nintendo is a family company whose products target more directly at children more so than adults and having someone working in your company that supports pedophilia will damage their reputation.

Even if it's all slander, they want to be safe than sorry. But in the end, no matter what decision, even if they decide to keep Ms. Rapp longer, they'll still get shitted on for supporting a pro-pedophile.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I wouldn't allow someone like her to work for my company either.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Meh.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

This is too heavy for me and i'm too lazy to care.

Hope the good guy wins, whoever he is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

She doesn't support pedophilia. I would ask people in this thread to actually read about the issue before mouthing off on it, but that's probably expecting too much, so I'll refrain.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireEmblem_Man

@charizard1605 said:

She doesn't support pedophilia. I would ask people in this thread to actually read about the issue before mouthing off on it, but that's probably expecting too much, so I'll refrain.

Doesn't matter, whats done is done! No matter what Nintendo does, they'll always get shitfaced. I'm not sure why would anyone care as it's just business as usual.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpinoRaptor24

@charizard1605 said:

http://humansarefree.com/2016/02/nintendo-pr-employee-advocates.html

What's that then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@JangoWuzHere: To be very clear, I do not think Nintendo would have been wrong in firing her for moonlighting, or for thinking she does not present a good face of the company to the public, or for any other reason- it is their right to terminate employees they feel are not a good fit for their corporate culture.

But that's not what this is about- whether or not Nintendo actually terminated her in the face of GG is now immaterial- the problem is that by never speaking out in her support, and by firing her in the midst of this controversy, without ever publicly having extended any support to her first, they have given GamerGate, a group of vile cyber terrorists and bullies, a symbolic victory, which gives them fuel to target and harass even more people online. The timing was ill conceived, and even if Nintendo did want to terminate Rapp, they either should have issued a statement publicly denouncing GG, or they should have waited for this hubbub to die down. Nintendo's firing of Allison Rapp may not necessarily be wrong on a technicality- literally everything else they did in this situation was.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

No major company is going to keep an employee that criticizes laws against pedophilia.

@Heil68 said:

Nintendo can fire who they want when they want. Most jobs are like that, plus she was a PR disaster.

@fueled-system said:

Gamergate is not good thing but Alison's comments on pedophilia were disgusting and no company would want the pr hit by supporting an employee with an absolutely sick view of a very sensitive matter.

@Sweetbackhair said:

It just annoys the hell out of me that a lot of these people see this as "Nintendo fires Allison Rapp because she is a woman", and not of the stuff she supported and did outside of Nintendo.

@SpinoRaptor24 said:

If she really does support pedophilia then she deserves to be fired, especially for a family friendly company like Nintendo.

I'm glad to see so many folks that can look past the "Women are victims" card being played by gaming journalist.

Chris Pranger was fired by Nintendo a day after a Podcast because of this,

"You look at something like even Xenoblade Chronicles," Pranger said. "People love that game, you know, within a certain group. That game is not the type of game that just pulls in enough to justify the costs on that.

"So that's like, we got it in the States by luck, that [Nintendo of Europe] decided, 'Oh, we'll take the fall. We'll localise that.' Okay, 'cause someone is going to have to eat the costs somewhere, because that game is guaranteed to not sell enough to justify how big that game is. You know, hundreds of hours, all voiced. That's a lot of money that goes into that.

"And people are like, 'Why do you guys hate money?' We don't. That's why you literally can't make everything. And people don't like finding out that their fanbase is actually too small to justify the costs of the thing they want."

Yet we go to great lengths to defend Alison Rapp? The things she said on social media were 100000000X worse than what Chris said and it took a mob of folks bitching to Nintendo to make it happen. I don't know much about GamerGate or SJW stances, but it seems as if Alison received special treatment in this case. If it was Chris Pranger defending pedophilia or speaking out in favor of sex offenders he would have been let go within 24 hours. And Chris being let go didn't receive the outrage Alisons did. Why? Because she is a female? But why is there such an outrage over the outcome and a dismissal of her wrongdoing? @charizard1605_ maybe you can help me here?

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpinoRaptor24

Pretty sure that's pedophilia support.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

A shame moderators have to refrain from moderating the community now.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Don't post stupid shit on social media.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Filthy misogynist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SpinoRaptor24: She is quoting from a 48 page thesis paper she wrote. Taking four lines out of context can be used to prove anything. Hell, one could make Sanders out to be a worse Donald Trump than Donald Trump with selective quoting like that.

@GoldenElementXL said:

I'm glad to see so many folks that can look past the "Women are victims" card being played by gaming journalist.

"You look at something like even Xenoblade Chronicles," Pranger said. "People love that game, you know, within a certain group. That game is not the type of game that just pulls in enough to justify the costs on that.

"So that's like, we got it in the States by luck, that [Nintendo of Europe] decided, 'Oh, we'll take the fall. We'll localise that.' Okay, 'cause someone is going to have to eat the costs somewhere, because that game is guaranteed to not sell enough to justify how big that game is. You know, hundreds of hours, all voiced. That's a lot of money that goes into that.

"And people are like, 'Why do you guys hate money?' We don't. That's why you literally can't make everything. And people don't like finding out that their fanbase is actually too small to justify the costs of the thing they want."

Yet we go to great lengths to defend Alison Rapp? The things she said on social media were 100000000X worse than what Chris said and it took a mob of folks bitching to Nintendo to make it happen. I don't know much about GamerGate or SJW stances, but it seems as if Alison received special treatment in this case. If it was Chris Pranger defending pedophilia or speaking out in favor of sex offenders he would have been let go within 24 hours. And Chris being let go didn't receive the outrage Alisons did. Why? Because she is a female? But why is there such an outrage over the outcome and a dismissal of her wrongdoing? @charizard1605_ maybe you can help me here?

@charizard1605 said:

To be very clear, I do not think Nintendo would have been wrong in firing her for moonlighting, or for thinking she does not present a good face of the company to the public, or for any other reason- it is their right to terminate employees they feel are not a good fit for their corporate culture.

But that's not what this is about- whether or not Nintendo actually terminated her in the face of GG is now immaterial- the problem is that by never speaking out in her support, and by firing her in the midst of this controversy, without ever publicly having extended any support to her first, they have given GamerGate, a group of vile cyber terrorists and bullies, a symbolic victory, which gives them fuel to target and harass even more people online. The timing was ill conceived, and even if Nintendo did want to terminate Rapp, they either should have issued a statement publicly denouncing GG, or they should have waited for this hubbub to die down. Nintendo's firing of Allison Rapp may not necessarily be wrong on a technicality- literally everything else they did in this situation was.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bigboi500

@Chozofication said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Filthy misogynist.

Let's go get some chicken wings at Hooters!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@TheSeptopus said:
@charizard1605 said:

I was unaware that engaging in discussion = moderating the community.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FireEmblem_Man

@GoldenElementXL said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Heil68 said:

@fueled-system said:

@Sweetbackhair said:

@SpinoRaptor24 said:

Exactly, Nintendo has a reputation to keep to Parents and Kids. This person is no one special, but her job is to help sell Nintendo games, but since she couldn't keep her mouth quiet in Social Media, Nintendo has the right to terminate anyone that doesn't fit in their corporate cultures. Also, I remember a decade ago of a woman that did worked at NoA hq, and she had a blog discussing how much she hated working at NoA, but she was terminated when the higher ups found her blog and when she stupidly open up her name and exposed her pictures.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

My thoughts...

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpinoRaptor24

@charizard1605 said:

@SpinoRaptor24: She is quoting from a 48 page thesis paper she wrote. Taking four lines out of context can be used to prove anything. Hell, one could make Sanders out to be a worse Donald Trump than Donald Trump with selective quoting like that.

Dude, it's clear that she's openly defending pedophilia. I mean her tweet clearly says to stop hating on people who like kids.

Take off your white knight goggles already.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500

@charizard1605: C'mon man, think of the children.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Still don't get the fuss...employees gets fired all the time...why is she so special? I guess if you work for a big company don't post stupid stuff on the net. :P

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireEmblem_Man

@SpinoRaptor24 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Dude, it's clear that she's openly defending pedophilia. I mean her tweet clearly says to stop hating on people who like kids.

Take off your white knight goggles already.

Not to mention those tweets were recent from December 2015.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigboi500

@superbuuman:

1. She's in the media

2. She has lady parts

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@TheSeptopus said:
@charizard1605 said:

I was unaware that engaging in discussion = moderating the community.

Not what I had said, but I also didn't realize you were going to continue engaging in discussion. The original post seemed like you were going to refrain from further discussion and let misinformation run rampant in the thread, not bothering to take action by either trying to correct information through discussion or by doing the job of a moderator.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MirkoS77

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo, like all corporations, have a reputation to keep. We can always question them regarding how they censor their games and how they handle their business. As a global corporation that provides Video Games as family-friendly entertainment, you're better to have your staff to keep their personal business in the closet regardless of their political and religious beliefs. Idiots that defend Ms. Rapp, forget that Nintendo is a family company whose products target more directly at children more so than adults and having someone working in your company that supports pedophilia will damage their reputation.

Even if it's all slander, they want to be safe than sorry. But in the end, no matter what decision, even if they decide to keep Ms. Rapp longer, they'll still get shitted on for supporting a pro-pedophile.

Supporting pedophilia?

What are you referring to? The essay she wrote in college? That was not a defense of pedophilia, in fact it was more an enlightenment of the distinctions and cultural disparities between them in how they view the subject than of her own views on it. Idiots that jump immediately to the defense of Nintendo here should do their research prior to making such claims.

It's astonishing that people believe this woman supports pedophilia. Find a HDD full of it on her computer? **** yea, fire her and prosecute her ass to prison in the meantime. But fire her YEARS after what many claim she stood in defense of pedophilia when the smear campaign was at its height against her? Sorry, that is too much of a coincidence and indicative of cowardly concession by this company that has allowed their desire to protect their image to transgress into unjust persecution.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Well if Trump or Sanders were irresponsible enough to post tweets that could cause this sort of misunderstanding I'm sure folks would understand the backlash. And seeing the tweets again, I don't see how these things were even taken out of context. Defending her seems like a stretch. If I posted the things she did I would lose my job as well. I signed a contract saying that my posts on social media are a reflection on my company and that I am responsible for anything I make public. This is why I keep my personal life private on message boards. I reflect my employer. So did Alison. And she made very poor decisions in that regard. Making Nintendo out to be the bad guy is the wrong move here. And saying it's because of Sexism is asinine.