If you said that a $500 PC tower performed same as PS2 in 2001...

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
People would think that youre crazy...
However its 2007 and thnings have changed. Its the first time in gaming history that the PC has caught up to the consoles...
Its unbelievable how low the hardware prices are by the time that the PS3 launches in Europe the €170 8600Ultra with a €170 C2D 6300 CPU in a €800 PC will perform same as a console at LAUNCH!!!
If you add the €30-€35 price difference between PS3 and PC games the price difference dissapears....
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I know that for $600 bucks I can build a PC (without monitor) that has graphics on par with a PS3 and this is me building it, imagine if an established company started paying more attention to the entry level PC market! This segment gets totally ignored because they think PC gamers want to spend big bucks (which might be true).
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 True_Gamer_
I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...Truth-slayer

Medium PC settings = Next gen consoles
If you want BETTER graphics than the consoles you have to pay more.
If you want SAME graphics as the consoles you dont.
Frequent upgrades are needed only if you want to OUTEPERFORM the consoles.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...Truth-slayer
4 years, not 2. Buy the right parts from the right retailers, and upgrading to a high-end PC doesn't cost much more than buying a new console. Plus you always get 100% backwards compatibility, better resolutions, better online, and more options. This assumes you actually know what you're doing, though. Most of the gaming audience are dumb as doorknobs when it comes to anything that requires more than a stapler.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 True_Gamer_
I know that for $600 bucks I can build a PC (without monitor) that has graphics on par with a PS3 and this is me building it, imagine if an established company started paying more attention to the entry level PC market! This segment gets totally ignored because they think PC gamers want to spend big bucks (which might be true).Zerostatic0

Exactly the display device is IRRELEVANT because you can use any device for the console or for the PC...
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...magus-21
4 years, not 2. Buy the right parts from the right retailers, and upgrading to a high-end PC doesn't cost much more than buying a new console. Plus you always get 100% backwards compatibility, better resolutions, better online, and more options. This assumes you actually know what you're doing, though. Most of the gaming audience are dumb as doorknobs when it comes to anything that requires more than a stapler.

Thats the ONLY obstacle that the PC gaming has...
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...True_Gamer_

Medium settings do not equal next-gen consoles. This is a myth created by PC gamers in order to justify expensive prices. Don't tell me you think Final Fantasy XIII could be done on medium PC settings...:roll:
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

Medium settings do not equal next-gen consoles. This is a myth created by PC gamers in order to justify expensive prices. Don't tell me you think Final Fantasy XIII could be done on medium PC settings...:roll:

30 FRAMES per second
720p NATIVE resolution
x4Anti Aliasing/ x2 Anisotropic Filtering

These ^^^ Are MEDIUM settings that allow medium PCs (with a 8600Ultra + C2D 6300) to run ANY game.
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
You dont need to upgrade everytime Ati or NVidia brings a new card out. Thats just ridiculous. Graphics cards will last you 3-4 years at the minimum, especially if you wait for price drops, which happen much faster with graphics cards than with consoles.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magus-21
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

Yes, medium settings do equal next-gen consoles. It's not a myth. Compare ANY PC-to-console port. Prey. FEAR. Oblivion. Battle for Middle Earth 2. Call of Duty 2. In every case, they are all only barely graphically equivalent to their PC versions at medium settings. In some cases, like FEAR for the PS3, they're actually lower than medium settings.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...magus-21

Yes, medium settings do equal next-gen consoles. It's not a myth. Compare ANY PC-to-console port. Prey. FEAR. Battle for Middle Earth 2. Call of Duty 2. In every case, they are all only barely graphically equivalent to their PC versions at medium settings.

In each case those games were all on PC too, so of course the PC will be able to match the console graphics. But what about console made games like Gears of War, Final Fantasy XIII and Formula One: Championship Edition? They can never be done on medium settings as far as power goes. They were designed for consoles.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

Yes, medium settings do equal next-gen consoles. It's not a myth. Compare ANY PC-to-console port. Prey. FEAR. Battle for Middle Earth 2. Call of Duty 2. In every case, they are all only barely graphically equivalent to their PC versions at medium settings.

In each case those games were all on PC too, so of course the PC will be able to match the console graphics. But what about console made games like Gears of War, Final Fantasy XIII and Formula One: Championship Edition? They can never be done on medium settings as far as power goes. They were designed for consoles.

A medium PC (8600Ultra+C2D6300) will run Gears of War, Final Fantasy XIII and Formula One: Championship Edition at 30 frames per second, x4AA/x2AF, 720p...which are CONSOLE settings.
Avatar image for Hammerofjustice
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hammerofjustice
Member since 2006 • 2685 Posts

Try running LAIR @ 1080p on that PC, or even Gears of war. it will lag alot.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
With a console you'll get ever increasing grafix for upto 5 years With a PC ull be forced to upgrade to get better grafix or suffer framerate loss etc
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

It all depends on the thoroughness of the porting, not on the original platform. As for Gears, remember, UE3.0 was originally designed for PC games. Like True_Gamer_ says, you are completely ignoring what PC gamers consider HIGH settings and what they consider MEDIUM settings.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 True_Gamer_

Hammerofjustice

Do you really think that 1080p is a high resolution in PC terms? Nope its medium at best.... And 30 FRAMES per second coupled with 4xAA/2xAF will allow a medium PC run Lair fine....
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]With a console you'll get ever increasing grafix for upto 5 years With a PC ull be forced to upgrade to get better grafix or suffer framerate loss etc

Nope...
To get SAME graphics and SAME setting as teh consoles you DONT have to upgrade....Console framerate is low enough to allow this...
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Thta's great and all but most people don't want to faff around building computers, installing games and waiting for operating systemes to load.

They don't want to have optimise settings , update drivers, and  check they have the latest Direct X.

They want their games to have trade in values in stores  and they want the ease of just having to plug in an extra controller when they want to pay multiplayer.

PC gaming is great but it is far tto complicated for most people.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 True_Gamer_
Thta's great and all but most people don't want to faff around building computers, installing games and waiting for operating systemes to load.

They don't want to have optimise settings , update drivers, and check they have the latest Direct X.

They want their games to have trade in values in stores and they want the ease of just having to plug in an extra controller when they want to pay multiplayer.

PC gaming is great but it is far tto complicated for most people.
cakeorrdeath

I agree...
But you see my care about strangers is 0... so I only care about what I can do...
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...True_Gamer_

A medium PC (8600Ultra+C2D6300) will run Gears of War, Final Fantasy XIII and Formula One: Championship Edition at 30 frames per second, x4AA/x2AF, 720p...which are CONSOLE settings.

But will it pack in as much detail as the console version? It's okay looking and running buttery smooth, but not okay if the details don't match this performance. Sure, Half Life could run at 60FPS with anti-aliasing, but it doesn't change the fact that it still looks like it did back in 1998.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Consoles don't become obsolete, they become collectible....
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...Spartan070
Consoles don't become obsolete, they become collectible....

Plus games will keep looking better and better on your console without upgrading.
nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nanomecha4
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
Going forward rather play games from my couch than sit on a chair in front of computer. Too strenuous and done it for too long. PC Gaming is DEAD.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

But will it pack in as much detail as the console version? It's okay looking and running buttery smooth, but not okay if the details don't match this performance. Sure, Half Life could run at 60FPS with anti-aliasing, but it doesn't change the fact that it still looks like it did back in 1998.

Thats what Im saying:
Crysis will run on a 8600Ultra at 30fps 720p and 4xAA/x2AF...and with all other settings set to medium/high....
It will have same detail as the console version...just check out teh Oblivion benchmarks at 30fps it can run on a X1950Pro with same field depth and res and AA as the 360 version...and mind you this is a DX9 $200 GPU...8600Ultra will just fly through it...
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
True_Gamer_

Do you really think that 1080p is a high resolution in PC terms? Nope its medium at best.... And 30 FRAMES per second coupled with 4xAA/2xAF will allow a medium PC run Lair fine....

also 1080p = 1920 × 1080 incase you didn't know.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 True_Gamer_
Going forward rather play games from my couch than sit on a chair in front of computer. Too strenuous and done it for too long. PC Gaming is DEAD.nanomecha4

Dude you must be smoking some pretty weird stuff...
I ve been playing PES6 PC on my HDTV for 4 months now...using PS2 original controllers...
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Spock-
Thats what Im saying:
Crysis will run on a 8600Ultra at 30fps 720p and 4xAA/x2AF...and with all other settings set to medium/high....
It will have same detail as the console version...just check out teh Oblivion benchmarks at 30fps it can run on a X1950Pro with same field depth and res and AA as the 360 version...and mind you this is a DX9 $200 GPU...8600Ultra will just fly through it...
True_Gamer_
So you're saying a mid-spec PC could run these console games, but not match them in detail.... just manage to run them......:|..... it's not quite the same thing...
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magus-21
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]I wonder how long it will take for me to have to upgrade my PC again for it to be considered high end. 2 years? Versus 5-10 years a console will give you...-Spock-

Yes it will. Again, you are REALLY underestimating PC horsepower.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hammerofjustice
xbox 360 runs COD2 @ a steady 60fps 720p 4xAA.

/thread
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magus-21
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"]Thats what Im saying:
-Spock-
So you're saying a mid-spec PC could run these console games, but not match them in detail.... just manage to run them......:|..... it's not quite the same thing...

He said nothing about lacking detail.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
Hammerofjustice

The vertical resolution of those benchmarks is 1200...so its still higher than the 1080p...
Also even at higher Anisotropic filtering setting the 7900GTX managed to perform at console levels...26fps...
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 magus-21

/thread
Hammerofjustice
My 2-year-old PC with 2-year-old graphics card runs COD2 at 60fps with the same settings, except at 1080p. Thread reopened.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

You just pretty much claimed the part that needs upgrading the most needs it the least. If you run games at low detail settings in the 3rd or 4th year then ya a graphics card will last that long, but to keep in the medium\high range its about every 2 years. I went from a 9800 to a x800xt, and bought a 360 because my next upgrade would have to be a new motherboard since I don't have any pci express slots. My processor on the other hand is 3 ghz and is in your 3\4 year old range, in fact I still see no need for a faster processor yet.

You dont need to upgrade everytime Ati or NVidia brings a new card out. Thats just ridiculous. Graphics cards will last you 3-4 years at the minimum, especially if you wait for price drops, which happen much faster with graphics cards than with consoles.nytrospawn

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 True_Gamer_

/thread
Hammerofjustice

Xbox360 has locked at 30fps framerate...thank you for owning yourself.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Spock-

Yes it will. Again, you are REALLY underestimating PC horsepower.magus-21

Of course. And I will continue to do so until I get solid proof that a mid-spec PC game can run a blockbuster console game to the maximum of its potential. I don't argue that high-spec PCs can do it, but definitely not mid-spec PCs on the market.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 True_Gamer_

[QUOTE="magus-21"] Yes it will. Again, you are REALLY underestimating PC horsepower.-Spock-

Of course. And I will continue to do so until I get solid proof that a mid-spec PC game can run a blockbuster console game to the maximum of its potential. I don't argue that high-spec PCs can do it, but definitely not mid-spec PCs on the market.

The FRAMERATE/RESOLUTION/AA/AF of consoles is LOW enough to allow mid range PCs to run ANY game at SAME settings and DETAIL...
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
True_Gamer_

The vertical resolution of those benchmarks is 1200...so its still higher than the 1080p...
Also even at higher Anisotropic filtering setting the 7900GTX managed to perform at console levels...26fps...

Your ignorant, stop posting. You said 1080p was medium for PC. Now your saying consoles ran it at 26fps? ps3 runs it 1080p 60fps, 360 runs it 720p(1280×720) 60fps.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
Hammerofjustice

Your ignorant, stop posting. You said 1080p was medium for PC. Now your saying consoles ran it at 26fps? ps3 runs it 1080p 60fps, 360 runs it 720p(1280×720) 60fps.

No TV runs at higher than 30fps...
Both Xbox360 and PS3 are locked at 30fps...youve again owned yourself...
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magus-21
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
True_Gamer_

(umm, I'm with you in this argument, but 720p and 1080p TVs refresh at 60Hz.)
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
True_Gamer_

taken from gamespot review "Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 also adds a four-player split-screen multiplayer mode for playing with friends on a single TV. The hardware never breaks a sweat, maintaining a crisp 60 frames per second even with action going on in so many windows."
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Spock-

True_Gamer_

What? HD TVs are pretty much just PC moniters bloated in cost, quality and size.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
every TV runs on about 30 FPS max.... therefor consoles are locked to 30 FPS.
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hammerofjustice
[QUOTE="cobrax25"]every TV runs on about 30 FPS max.... therefor consoles are locked to 30 FPS.

Fail.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 magus-21
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"]
Hammerofjustice

taken from gamespot review "Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 also adds a four-player split-screen multiplayer mode for playing with friends on a single TV. The hardware never breaks a sweat, maintaining a crisp 60 frames per second even with action going on in so many windows."

Running multiple windows doesn't affect GPU performance, only CPU performance. The GPU still has to draw the same number of pixels, render the same levels, etc.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cobrax25

[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"] No TV runs at higher than 30fps...
-Spock-

What? HD TVs are pretty much just PC moniters bloated in cost, quality and size.

No, the Standard TV FPS rate is at anywhere from 25-35 depending on where you live. Monitors are always at least 60, and can go as high as 120.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 magus-21

[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"] No TV runs at higher than 30fps...
-Spock-

What? HD TVs are pretty much just PC moniters bloated in cost, quality and size.

Not really. There's more going on behind those panels than just hertz.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]

[QUOTE="magus-21"] Yes it will. Again, you are REALLY underestimating PC horsepower.True_Gamer_

The FRAMERATE/RESOLUTION/AA/AF of consoles is LOW enough to allow mid range PCs to run ANY game at SAME settings and DETAIL...

Forza 2 on the 360 runs at 60FPS, has AA and can most definitely not be run on a PC in the same way without a lot of framerate compromise... I think everything you've been saying is BS plain and simple...

Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
You dont need to upgrade everytime Ati or NVidia brings a new card out. Thats just ridiculous. Graphics cards will last you 3-4 years at the minimum, especially if you wait for price drops, which happen much faster with graphics cards than with consoles.nytrospawn
Try telling that to my dad... but then i get his "hand me downs".. so it works out =P
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cobrax25
[QUOTE="Hammerofjustice"][QUOTE="cobrax25"]every TV runs on about 30 FPS max.... therefor consoles are locked to 30 FPS.

Fail.

No, you fail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p Due to bandwidth limitations of broadcast frequencies, the ATSC and DVB have standardized only the frame rates of 24, 25, and 30 frames per second (1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30). 1080p30 is currently the most bandwidth-intensive video mode supported.