If Sony lower prices will they have a chance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravens1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravens1995
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
If Sony lower prices will they have a chance?
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#2 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
If it's a drastic and very sudden drop... maybe.
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
possibly, but theres no way they can do that and still cut a profit.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
possibly, but theres no way they can do that and still cut a profit. oback
They aren't even making a profit now.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
A better chance? Yes, definately. A realistic chance? I don't know.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts
of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on it
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SemiMaster

of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itUptown

You realize how much Sony loses per PS3 sold right now? Let alone cutting the price by 200 dollars?

yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itUptown
MS could give Xbox 360's for free before Sony could drop it to less than 500. X360 is 325 to make as of november 06... 325 loss... PS3 is 840 as of november 06... 240 loss. 500 = 340 loss. See stupid launmch FTW
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itSemiMaster

You realize how much Sony loses per PS3 sold right now? Let alone cutting the price by 200 dollars?

well Sony has to do something or they will not hold on as market leader....who knows, maybe they'll just ride it out for the first year or two...then drop the price like normal consoles do and everyone hops on board.....PS2 has sold alot more since its first drop compared to when it first launched.....and even at $600 PS3 is selling better than the PS2 did at launch 

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itSemiMaster

You realise other things in their gaming division make them money right ?

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itNike_Air

Right, like their 3000 dollar overly expensive LCDTVs and other consumer electronics. But that's beside the point. This is a discussion about the PS3 and the fact that besides already losing significant revenue in the gaming sector, a price drop in the PS3 would also lose a lot more for them. And still, they would have to compete against the Wii and 360 like what is currently going on. And there are a lot of 360s already installed and to overtake the 360 installation base well... You like to simplify that to the point where Sony can just fall back on other aspects of its merchandise. Fine they can, but at a certain point you need to amputate the leg before  the body gets gangrene. 

jeaglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeaglegs
Member since 2004 • 1017 Posts
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itNike_Air

What makes them money?  They lose money on each console they sell, they have a horrible attach rate (1 game per console), and developers are leaving them.

You better tell the Sony execs, because they're talking like their gaming division is going to post a huge loss this year -- $2 billion U.S.  http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2173857/sony-loses-6bn-ps3

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

Right, like their 3000 dollar overly expensive LCDTVs and other consumer electronics. But that's beside the point. This is a discussion about the PS3 and the fact that besides already losing significant revenue in the gaming sector, a price drop in the PS3 would also lose a lot more for them. And still, they would have to compete against the Wii and 360 like what is currently going on. And there are a lot of 360s already installed and to overtake the 360 installation base well... You like to simplify that to the point where Sony can just fall back on other aspects of its merchandise. Fine they can, but at a certain point you need to amputate the leg before the body gets gangrene.

gaming division.

They make a little money on the ps2 hardware and a ton on software and accessories to make up for the hardware losses on the ps3.That is going to sell well for another couple of years for them. Add in the fact that they are a hardware company manufacturing is going to drop very quickly , new chips are already in production , they removed EE , blu-ray diodes will drop and other components. 

Add in the fact that they are willing to take on hardware losses for quite a while historically (ps1,ps2) then they will have more room to drop prices than people think at first glance. 

Downloadable content is also going to make them money.  

Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts
I'd buy a 20 gb for 400 no sweat.
shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
a $300 price tag would convince me to get a PS3.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SemiMaster

I'd buy a 20 gb for 400 no sweat.Shirley_Temple

They stopped making those... 

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts
yes though there not going to
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
If Sony lower prices will they have a chance? Ravens1995
Nope because Microsoft will drop right along with them. The only reason the xbox hasn't had a price drop is because they are already $200 less then the competition.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

I'd buy a 20 gb for 400 no sweat.Shirley_Temple

first its 500 and second there not in store anymore they dont sell

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itjeaglegs

What makes them money?  They lose money on each console they sell, they have a horrible attach rate (1 game per console), and developers are leaving them.

You better tell the Sony execs, because they're talking like their gaming division is going to post a huge loss this year -- $2 billion U.S.  http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2173857/sony-loses-6bn-ps3

That wasn't too surprising.  Sony's gaming divison already lost 1 billion over the last 3 quarters.  I expected a higher loss due to the push for the Europe release.  Sony executives won't look highly on their gaming divison if the trend of bleeding continues.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]I'd buy a 20 gb for 400 no sweat.wavebrid

You're telling me, the cheaper version doesn't sell, and then telling me I can't expect a hundred dollar price drop?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nike_Air

[QUOTE="Uptown"]of course....I think if Sony dropped the price to $399 or $449 people would jump on itjeaglegs

What makes them money? They lose money on each console they sell, they have a horrible attach rate (1 game per console), and developers are leaving them.

You better tell the Sony execs, because they're talking like their gaming division is going to post a huge loss this year -- $2 billion U.S. http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2173857/sony-loses-6bn-ps3

1 game per console ? Yeah right

http://www.psu.com/node/9000

They always lose a bunch with the release of a new system and all that entails , but the ps2 is going to do well for them over the next couple of years to foot the bill. This isn't any different than the ps2 release.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]I'd buy a 20 gb for 400 no sweat.Shirley_Temple

You're telling me, the cheaper version doesn't sell, and then telling me I can't expect a hundred dollar price drop?

The cheaper version doesn't sell because there simply aren't any out there. Sony discontinued those models simply because they lost more money on it because the smaller hard drive didn't make up as much sales revenue as the larger 60 gig model. Also, the few that were sold basically were bought up extremely quick and I've never seen one anywhere. Hundreds of 60 gig models, but never a 20 gig. So good luck finding one. 

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

yea I think if they can get the price down to $300 by summer of 08 then they can regain alot of gamers, and develpers.

The problem is there's no way that sony can get the price any lower than it is without stripping out, and changing some of the hardware (nothing major just a bunch of minor things).  Sony is spending just too much on random crap, and every single part (even those not needed for gaming) is more expensive for the ps3.