Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Why do they're always universally acclaimed and have good sales? This is beyond my understanding.

Edit: you people saying that a game can be universally acclaimed and not good are laughable and smells butthurt. Nobody was able to tell me why games that are so bad are adored to professionals and consumers alike.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

What is the definition of a movie game? Games that have cut-scenes/cinematics? Games that rely on QTE? I think many gamers like to throw in "movie game" without context these days. I'm just curious.

SeaofSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SeaofSalt
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

For the same reason Justin Bieber and eating Tide pods is popular.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

Before starting the discussion, define what is a "movie game."

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

if movie games are so great then how come they come and go relatively fast and everyone forgets they exist?

SeaofSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SeaofSalt
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

if movie games are so great then how come they come and go relatively fast and everyone forgets they exist?

Because there's nothing to engage with when you finish them.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@calvincfb said:

Why do they're always universally acclaimed and have good sales? This is beyond my understanding.

Why did Justin Bieber's music sell so much? You know the difference between Popular opinion and fact, don't play dumb.

I personally can enjoy "movie games" but I wont pay $60 for every one of them. I wish I hadn't for Uncharted 4 because I've never been able to get through its campaign again. Its a one and done and for $60 I hope to get more than that. GoW usually gives me enough excitement to play through multiple times.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

Movie games are bad because they aren't on your favorite console.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

I could've sworn movie games meant tie-ins, as in Happy Feet the videogame for Wii or the awful Spiderman games Activision would put out at or around a movie's release.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Before starting the discussion, define what is a "movie game."

Playstation exclusive = movie game.

according to lems...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

All flash and no substance is A-OK with a lot of reviewers and it's also attractive for casual gamers. It doesn't mean they are good games. Some gives the new Star Wars movies praise as well, when they in reality suck huge balls. The 3D Barbie movies got great sales. Doesn't stop them from being one of earth's biggest abominations.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Nah, "movie games" aren't bad, it's just something butthurt lems and other fanboys tell themselves as they wet their beds at night with their tears and bodily fluids.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pouriarjj
Member since 2018 • 168 Posts

@calvincfb said:

if trump is such an idiot, how did he become president?

if call of duty sucks, how come does it sell so much?

if indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull was the worst indiana jones movie, how come it sold better than the others?

just because something is famous and sells well doesn't mean it's good

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Calvincfb

Lems came to butthurt in my thread, yet didn't present any sound argument.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Lemmings and Hermits would not be calling them 'movie games' if they were on their platform = FACT

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56231 Posts

The term "Movie Games" does not exist. There is Video Games & there is Movies.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@legendofsense said:

What is the definition of a movie game? Games that have cut-scenes/cinematics? Games that rely on QTE? I think many gamers like to throw in "movie game" without context these days. I'm just curious.

Linear scripted easy games with simple mechanics , characters , story , and cutscenes . Stuff like Alan Wake, Halo , Ryse , Gears of War , Quantum Break , etc. are movie games for some examples.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@pouriarjj:

I can answer all of those questions.

1. Enough idiots voted for him because they fell for his bait.

2. Enough idiots love the game series.

3. Enough fans came to see it.

So if that's your point then it can easily be debunked like this.

According to you: Just because alot of people love something doesn't mean it's good.

But the reality is that people don't go with terrible ideas deliberately. They go for what they want in general. If people love action games then they'll buy action games. Uncharted and other so-called movie games are obviously doing something right that has been satisfying their base to keep them going. Which means that they are in fact great at what they are trying to do.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@calvincfb said:

Because Cows will buy anything remember NMS?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Who cares !! All i care is to play games like God of War, The last of us 2 , Death Stranding, Spiderman etc. Cinematic experiences like no other, all day long. They dont like ? Who cares !!! haha.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

nothing the hermits on this forum say should ever be taken seriously. they are incredibly daft and unintelligent. they say things like "conventions like D.I.C.E and GDC are console centric fanboys who dont understand photomode bullshottery"

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

This is my personal problem with them. I'm always stuck with the feeling of "I could have done that".

Typically, you find you walk/climb around a minor obstacle, kill some enemies, and just as you're getting to a bit that, from a distance, looks interesting control is snatched away and instead you're stuck watching it be done in a cutscene, or a QTE.

For many, especially journalists who need to get though a game relatively quickly, it might seem great, you're character is doing something cool, and by extension you're doing it, because you got them there. But others like myself are stuck instead with a sense of disappointment, like the developers didn't trust us to be able to get past this part, so they had to do it instead.

It's a game, let me play it.

This also isn't to say, I'm against cut scenes, I'm fine with them for story progression, but often it feels like the best action sections are now cutscenes and the story progression is done in scenes where I'm forced to hold up while characters walk and talk. It should be the other way around.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

You can sell any tripe with enough hype. NMS is an example of that, selling 2.5 mln less than a month after release on PC and probably more on PS4 with more sales to come when it releases on XBONE. Gamers nowadays are real suckers for that hype and its why publishers spend more money on marketing than they do on actually making a game.

I have nothing against movie games though, I see them as their own genre but not one I am particularly keen on. To each there own.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

Gullible McFly's that are casual peasants and Fake reviews is the right answer. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69833 Posts

Simple. I prefer to play my games than watch them. If you are a fan of Twitch and Youtube lets play then these games are golden.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69833 Posts

@spike6958 said:

This is my personal problem with them. I'm always stuck with the feeling of "I could have done that".

Typically, you find you walk/climb around a minor obstacle, kill some enemies, and just as you're getting to a bit that, from a distance, looks interesting control is snatched away and instead you're stuck watching it be done in a cutscene, or a QTE.

For many, especially journalists who need to get though a game relatively quickly, it might seem great, you're character is doing something cool, and by extension you're doing it, because you got them there. But others like myself are stuck instead with a sense of disappointment, like the developers didn't trust us to be able to get past this part, so they had to do it instead.

It's a game, let me play it.

This also isn't to say, I'm against cut scenes, I'm fine with them for story progression, but often it feels like the best action sections are now cutscenes and the story progression is done in scenes where I'm forced to hold up while characters walk and talk. It should be the other way around.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24978 Posts

@calvincfb said:

so anything that get critical acclaimed and have good sale is good product? by this logic call of duty is best FPS franchise.

they are bad because they took control over player. and give so much hand holding, QTE resulting in boring game. not very interesting.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

All flash and no substance is A-OK with a lot of reviewers and it's also attractive for casual gamers. It doesn't mean they are good games. Some gives the new Star Wars movies praise as well, when they in reality suck huge balls. The 3D Barbie movies got great sales. Doesn't stop them from being one of earth's biggest abominations.

who watch barbie or cinderella movie anyways? LOL!

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AzatiS

@ghosts4ever said:
@calvincfb said:

so anything that get critical acclaimed and have good sale is good product? by this logic call of duty is best FPS franchise.

they are bad because they took control over player. and give so much hand holding, QTE resulting in boring game. not very interesting.

Your opinion. To me cinematic games are engaging far more than pure gameplay games because in that way you getting attached to characters and story far better. Who are you to tell me is boring or not interesting ? If i want pure gameplay games, i prefer an online multiplayer game like Pubg, Cs go , Path of exile or some platformers like Rayman or various other single player indie like games.

You see ? What for you is not interesting and boring to me is a must play. Cant wait to play GoW, Last of us 2 and Spiderman. Let alone Death stranding looks interesting.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@AzatiS said:

Your opinion. To me cinematic games are engaging far more than pure gameplay games because in that way you getting attached to characters and story far better. Who are you to tell me is boring or not interesting ?

you can tell a great story by not interrupting playing over and over again.

Deus Ex 1 have best story ever. and it doesnot interrupt player over and over again.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Sony exclusives are written off by lems and PC gamers as 'movie games' yet the same clowns are constantly bleating on about how great Witcher 3 is.

This is a game with 80% walking (or riding) and long drawn out conversations and 20% gameplay (i.e. really shallow and badly executed combat).

Hypocrites much? Damn right.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzatiS

@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:

Your opinion. To me cinematic games are engaging far more than pure gameplay games because in that way you getting attached to characters and story far better. Who are you to tell me is boring or not interesting ?

Deus Ex 1 have best story ever. and it doesnot interrupt player over and over again.

Who told you i dont want to be interrupted to see something crazy, emotional, epic or something ? To see a story from different point of view etc ?

Why The last of us was one of the best games last generation ? Because of the connection between player and in game characters. Emotional to the very end. You think Deus Ex, Half life or any other " dont interrupt me" game could make you feel like that without any cutscenes or gameplay interference ? Come on now.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

@calvincfb "Movie games" are usually bad because they aren't made by the AAA dev teams or studios, and usually aren't given the budget to really excel. Also, they usually have an accelerated time table because they get paired with said movie and it's release date.

To answer your second question, they sell "well" because of name recognition, and the casual market. These aren't really hardcore titles, they are the "shovel ware", and as such they play more with the casual crowd

FYI: There are exceptions to the "movie game" rules though; see the recent Mad Max Game, or the older Wolverine game. Some of these licensed games do get the polish and care they deserve, but usually it is when they are NOT paired with the release of the movie, and thus they suffer in the sales department.

sexclusive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sexclusive
Member since 2018 • 24 Posts

I don't think movie games are bad. There just seems to be a lot of them coming from Sony. But they clearly sell and get critical acclaim so who cares.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@AzatiS said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:

Who told you i dont want to be interrupted to see something crazy, emotional, epic or something ? To see a story from different point of view etc ?

that whats the point of buying a 60 dollar game which we can see on youtube? so we will be fine paying 60 dollar to see a bad movie with few press buttons over and there. thats not worth a money.

Games need good level design, gameplay combat, story without too many cutscene and QTE, Graphics and atmosphere.

Metro series actually is a great example of how to balance gameplay and cutscene. while there are cutscenes but it doesnot overshadow its gameplay.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AzatiS

@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:

that whats the point of buying a 60 dollar game which we can see on youtube? so we will be fine paying 60 dollar to see a bad movie with few press buttons over and there. thats not worth a money.

Games need good level design, gameplay combat, story without too many cutscene and QTE, Graphics and atmosphere.

Metro series actually is a great example of how to balance gameplay and cutscene. while there are cutscenes but it doesnot overshadow its gameplay.

Because there is gameplay involved. I can see Mario on youtube as well, whats the difference ? Dont overact like The last of us was something like Telltale's the walking dead, or God of War will be like that. There is gameplay involved big time.

Who told you for example God of War wont be having some solid actionish gameplay ? What about all kind of WRPGs and JRPGs? Shouldnt have interruption or cutscenes ?

There are options out there for all. Im one of those having the same fun with either heavy gameplay games or cinematic heavy games. Im lucky i guess.

Dissing cinematic games because it not your thing ... its getting old already. Really old.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Movies game, rpg, action games, FPS.. don’t really matter what type of games as long as they are good and you have fun playing them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pouriarjj:

At least the "idiots" prevented America from being totally run by the liberal fascist Mafia who will do everything except rape and murder their victims.

As for his "bait," according to a Washinton D.C. think tank, the President has fulfilled nearly two-thirds of it. Much better than Ronald Reagan and all other previous presidents.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Calvincfb

@OniLordAsmodeus: hahaha you said mad Max is a good game. HAHAHA

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@AzatiS said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:

Because there is gameplay involved. I can see Mario on youtube as well, whats the difference ? Dont overact like The last of us was something like Telltale's the walking dead, or God of War will be like that. There is gameplay involved big time.

Who told you for example God of War wont be having some solid actionish gameplay ? What about all kind of WRPGs and JRPGs? Shouldnt have interruption or cutscenes ?

There are options out there for all. Im one of those having the same fun with either heavy gameplay games or cinematic heavy games. Im lucky i guess.

Dissing cinematic games because it not your thing ... its getting old already. Really old.

Loading Video...

watch this video. this highlight the problem with third person cinematic games. it hold your hand 90 percent of time.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

@onesiphorus:

:P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AzatiS

@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@AzatiS said:

Loading Video...

watch this video. this highlight the problem with third person cinematic games. it hold your hand 90 percent of time.

Thats your problem with them ( cinematic games). If you are not the type of person that is getting excited by seeing story thru cutscenes or watch action cutscenes that even hollywood movies would be jealous of , it doesnt mean is BAD , it means is NOT for you. Theres a big difference there.

I know people trying to bypass cutscenes, they dont care about stories, characters nothing. Im big time into this. Who cares, move on to something else. Its not for you. I had awesome time by playing The walking dead season 1 last gen. I bet you didnt. Does that make it a bad game ? No way, was great for what it was thats why the sales, the scores and all that.

The latest game i didnt like its story at all and i was bypassing almost all dialoques and few cutscenes was Ni no kuni 2. Terrible story, zero connection with the characters, very bad script, pace etc. So predictable, so boring etc. But games like Last of us ... i didnt want to end.

People keep praising what they like and dissing what they dont. We need to be objective though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghosts4ever

@AzatiS said:

Thats your problem with them ( cinematic games). If you are not the type of person that is getting excited by seeing story thru cutscenes or watch action cutscenes that even hollywood movies would be jealous of , it doesnt mean is BAD , it means is NOT for you. Theres a big difference there.

I know people trying to bypass cutscenes, they dont care about stories, characters nothing. Im big time into this. Who cares, move on to something else. Its not for you. I had awesome time by playing The walking dead season 1 last gen. I bet you didnt. Does that make it a bad game ? No way, was great for what it was thats why the sales, the scores and all that.

People keep praising what they like and dissing what they dont. We need to be objective though.

my friend, you can tell excellent story by not having too many cinematics. they apeal to mostly casual and non gamers who love hollywood action fancy movies. so they want games to be hollywoodized. we want our games to remain gamey.

story driven games are some of my fav games of all time. but having long cinematic and QTE with mediocre gameplay with regen health, cover system make game too easy and too casual.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Calvincfb

@ghosts4ever: so you're saying that MSGIV and 3 were bad games? Because they had a LOT of long cutscenes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@calvincfb said:

@ghosts4ever: so you're saying that MSGIV and 3 were bad games? Because they had a LOT of long cutscenes.

yes. splinter cell chaos theory on other hand is best stealth game of all time.

sexclusive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sexclusive
Member since 2018 • 24 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@calvincfb said:

yes. splinter cell chaos theory on other hand is best stealth game of all time.

Those early stealth games were just to frustrating for me. You'd spend half an hour creeping through a level only to be spotted by some guard and have to do it all again. 'Fisher, I'm pulling you out'... got fucking sick of that!

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pouriarjj

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pouriarjj:

2. Enough idiots love the game series.

3. Enough fans came to see it.

So if that's your point then it can easily be debunked like this.

According to you: Just because alot of people love something doesn't mean it's good.

But the reality is that people don't go with terrible ideas deliberately. They go for what they want in general. If people love action games then they'll buy action games. Uncharted and other so-called movie games are obviously doing something right that has been satisfying their base to keep them going. Which means that they are in fact great at what they are trying to do.

ok so according to you the reason call of duty is popular is because people who love it are idiots

but the reason uncharted is popular it's because it's great at what it's trying to do

because i'm pretty sure call of duty fans would say the exact opposite. so it's your word against their's

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 pouriarjj

@onesiphorus said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@pouriarjj:

At least the "idiots" prevented America from being totally run by the liberal fascist Mafia who will do everything except rape and murder their victims.

As for his "bait," according to a Washinton D.C. think tank, the President has fulfilled nearly two-thirds of it. Much better than Ronald Reagan and all other previous presidents.

i'm pretty sure u.s and north korea will have bombed each other before the last third is done

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pouriarjj

@calvincfb said:

metal sear golid iv :D