I think we can all agree GOTY is between the PC and the Wii this year.

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheMysticHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheMysticHorse
Member since 2006 • 580 Posts

PC with Crysis, World in Conflict and the best version of the Orange Box.

Wii with Super Mario Galaxy.

None of the other consoles have anything that can even compete and Crysis has made Halo obselete, while COD4 (which is best on PC) has made Halo 3's unbalanced multiplayer obselete too, so that'll be the only 9.5 that has no chance of GOTY whatsoever.

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts
Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
halo 3 is totally overrated it's fun but shouldnt have been hyped up all that much, i don't think it'll come close
jbeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 jbeen
Member since 2006 • 2372 Posts
Mass Effect says Hi.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

I think we can all agree it's going to be Mass Effect and Halo 3 as runner up ! :D

Cmon just agree. :lol:

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Who are you to say what game is deserving and what is not? Someone has ego issues. And did you just forget Mass Effect?
jeffwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jeffwulf
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
I think we can all agree that the PS3 has no chance at GOTY this year. I would agreee with you overall, but a Darkhorse from the XBox or mayby GoW2(/me vomits. Terrible game) could take it.
TheMysticHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheMysticHorse
Mass Effect got gimped into a fumblesticks shooter. After Jade Empire, I wouldn't be so sure Mass Effect is going to score highly at Gamespot. Even if it scrapes a pity 9.0 it still won't compete with the games I mentioned.
Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
agreed I love crysis and smg
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Animal-Mother
Who are you to say what game is deserving and what is not? Someone has ego issues. And did you just forget Mass Effect?Verge_6

because i'm a person and there's something called forming your own opinion. I can say whatever i feel.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
i think it should go to galaxy its a game with a hole new feel. it may be another mario game but there is no other game like it. it truly is an amazing game
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]Who are you to say what game is deserving and what is not? Someone has ego issues. And did you just forget Mass Effect?Animal-Mother

because i'm a person and there's something called forming your own opinion. I can say whatever i feel.

I wasn't even talking to you, kiddo. If I don't quote you, like I'm doing now, I'm not directing what I am typing towards you.

lt-rickhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lt-rickhunter
Member since 2007 • 816 Posts
Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.madmidnight
yep halo 3 has the chance of getting the worse graphics of year award. but mass effect has a chance at getting GOTY
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
The three big contenders this year are World in Conflict, Crysis, and SMG. I think that WiC will win it this year. Both Crysis and SMG are amazing game but they don't do any innovating to their genres. They are just both very solid games. WiC is not only extremely solid, it innovated RTSs.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]Who are you to say what game is deserving and what is not? Someone has ego issues. And did you just forget Mass Effect?Verge_6

I wasn't even talking to you, kiddo. If I don't quote you, like I'm doing now, I'm not directing what I am typing towards you.

well i apologize for making a mistake. Sorry
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

You thought wrong.

I believe Crysis will be GOTY, though it will be by the end of next year when people can play it as it was meant to be played.

I don't think SMG, Mass Effect or Halo 3 have a chance.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Verge_6

[QUOTE="madmidnight"]Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.lt-rickhunter
yep halo 3 has the chance of getting the worse graphics of year award. but mass effect has a chance at getting GOTY

So, the quote taken from the GS reiew conveys this nomination for'worst graphics of the year award'?

Halo has always had a very strong artistic vision, and the graphics have always been just good enough to convey the necessary imagery without becoming huge technical powerhouses. That's not to say that the game isn't technically impressive, because it maintains a smooth frame rate throughout, and looks very sharp overall with plenty of great lighting and other nice effects. But the visual design overpowers its technical side and really stands out. Given that the game takes place in a wider range of locales than the previous two games, you'll see a lot of different, colorful environments, including deserts, snow, jungle settings, great-looking building interiors, and more. The enemies, many of which are returning from past games, also look great.

Seriously, sit down before you embarass yourself further.

CelineDion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CelineDion
Member since 2002 • 5972 Posts

Nope.

Competition is between Mass Effect and SMG.

And if Mass Effect gets under a 9.5, I say SMG already has it in the bag here.

lt-rickhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lt-rickhunter

[QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"][QUOTE="madmidnight"]Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.Verge_6

So, the quote taken from the GS reiew conveys these 'worst graphics of the year award'?

Halo has always had a very strong artistic vision, and the graphics have always been just good enough to convey the necessary imagery without becoming huge technical powerhouses. That's not to say that the game isn't technically impressive, because it maintains a smooth frame rate throughout, and looks very sharp overall with plenty of great lighting and other nice effects. But the visual design overpowers its technical side and really stands out. Given that the game takes place in a wider range of locales than the previous two games, you'll see a lot of different, colorful environments, including deserts, snow, jungle settings, great-looking building interiors, and more. The enemies, many of which are returning from past games, also look great.

Seriosuly, sit down before you embarass yourself further.

and your point? GS reviews is based of a person opinions. My opinion of halo 3 graphics are whta i think. you think just because a person from gs said the grapihcs are awesome to him, think i should agree with him? even though i played through the whole game and seen tons of jaggies, looked at the human models faces and thought to my self how ulgy they loooked. i can link reviewrs from other sites who make fun of halo 3 graphics. so please sit down before you embarass your self.

lol great looking building interiors what is this then? looks fugly to me

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"][QUOTE="madmidnight"]Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.lt-rickhunter

So, the quote taken from the GS reiew conveys these 'worst graphics of the year award'?

and your point? GS reviews is based of a person opinions. My opinion of halo 3 graphics are whta i think. you think just because a person from gs said the grapihcs are awesome to him, think i should agree with him? even though i played through the whole game and seen tons of jaggies, looked at the human models faces and thought to my self how ulgy they loooked. i can link reviewrs from other sites who make fun of halo 3 graphics. so please sit down before you embarass your self.

And I can come up with 10+ reviews that praise the visuals. WHy should YOUR opinion hold more weight than their's?

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Uncharted looks better than both of those games. It will be GOTY.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Verge_6

Uncharted looks better than both of those games. It will be GOTY.DaysAirlines

Nope, the tech demo for KZ2 is taking that, hands down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

None of the other consoles have anything that can even compete and Crysis has made Halo obselete, while COD4 (which is best on PC) has made Halo 3's unbalanced multiplayer obselete too, so that'll be the only 9.5 that has no chance of GOTY whatsoever.

TheMysticHorse

I love Galaxy, but make no mistake...it won't even come close to Game of the Year.

Avatar image for OldSkoolGamer04
OldSkoolGamer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OldSkoolGamer04
Member since 2004 • 1616 Posts

The three big contenders this year are World in Conflict, Crysis, and SMG. I think that WiC will win it this year. Both Crysis and SMG are amazing game but they don't do any innovating to their genres. They are just both very solid games. WiC is not only extremely solid, it innovated RTSs. Wasdie

That just isn't true at all. I don't think you've been following those games very closely - especailly SMG. Pretty much every review talks about how it has set a new standard for platforming.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I think Halo3 and Mass Effect at least have a shot..
Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
Ok. I have a 360 - and lemmings really need to stop saying "teh Mass Effect". I think it will be an amazing game - but it hasn't been reviewed yet, so give it a rest. Jeez.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts
Ill throw the games out that I think are GOTY contenders. Crysis, WIC, halo3, COD4, mass effect, SMG, UT3, HL2ep2, and maybe some others but those are the only ones I can think of at this time.
lt-rickhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lt-rickhunter
[QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"][QUOTE="madmidnight"]Halo 3 does have a chance despite what you think. And so does Mass Effect.Verge_6

And I can come up with 10+ reviews that praise the visuals. WHy should YOUR opinion hold more weight than their's?

because when i own games like bioshock, gears of war, cod4 for the 360. and you compare those 3 games to halo 3 graphics, you notice how much halo 3 graphics look fugly compared to those 3 games, that is why. but unlike you, im not a halo fan, and i can honestly say halo 3 should be called jaglo 3 instead ,with all the jaggies etc. but i do think the first lvl of halo 3 looked awesome, the rest looked like the crap in that toilet
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
to me the contenders are:
Orange Box (PC)
COD4 (PC)
Halo 3 (360)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Crysis (PC)
World Of Conflict (PC)
Mass Effect (360)
Bioshock (PC/360)
GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts

TheMysticHorse

I do NOT agree...

whack in Mass Effect up inthere and I would..

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Hellgate London GOTY confirmed.
xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
Halo 3 has a big chance, so does Mass Effect (if the hypes right), but why no mention of Bioshock? That games amazing. And I think COD4 should be up there too.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts
As Of Now, I Would say that its gonna be Mass Effect, COD4, or Mario:Galaxy. Hopefully Mass Effect, cant wait to get my hands on that one.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Verge_6
because when i own games like bioshock, gears of war, cod4 for the 360. and you compare those 3 games to halo 3 graphics, you notice how much halo 3 graphics look fugly compared to those 3 games, that is why. but unlike you, im not a halo fan, and i can honestly say halo 3 should be called jaglo 3 instead ,with all the jaggies etc. but i do think the first lvl of halo 3 looked awesome, the rest looked like the crap in that toilet lt-rickhunter

ANYONE can take the worst screenshot of a game they can find. Halo 3 didn't ahve the best visuals ever, but they're nowhere NEAR as bad as you cosntantly rant and rave they are.

Wait a minute...Alfy, is that you?

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts

Hellgate London GOTY confirmed.smokeydabear076

LOL. Not as bad as everyone says, but still not great.

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts
Crysis will not win. It's a good game, but come on. If you are saying Halo 3 isn't good enough then Crysis isn't either.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the strongest contenders for GOTY right now, followed by Portal (orange box), and Crysis. There has been some talk of Mass Effect, but I'd say take a "wait and see" approach on that, people were pretty enthralled with Bioshock until they really got into it and realized what a shoddy game it was.

Halo 3 winning GOTY on GS would reflect rather poorly on the site - there are too many other creative, interesting, excellent games that came out this year to let popularity win out over quality. I could see Halo 3 taking "user choice" awards simply due to having a large fanbase on GS.

lt-rickhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lt-rickhunter
[QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"] because when i own games like bioshock, gears of war, cod4 for the 360. and you compare those 3 games to halo 3 graphics, you notice how much halo 3 graphics look fugly compared to those 3 games, that is why. but unlike you, im not a halo fan, and i can honestly say halo 3 should be called jaglo 3 instead ,with all the jaggies etc. but i do think the first lvl of halo 3 looked awesome, the rest looked like the crap in that toilet Verge_6

ANYONE can take the worst screenshot of a game they can find. Halo 3 didn't ahve the best visuals ever, but they're nowhere NEAR as bad as you cosntantly rant and rave they are.

ill be honest, halo 3 outside maps look nice with jaggies, but it looked nice. but inside maps they are fugly. which in halo 3 you spend about 80% on inside maps. as for being alfy, sorry i am ltrickhunter. but you can call me alfy, i would be honered if you did.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
The three big contenders this year are World in Conflict, Crysis, and SMG. I think that WiC will win it this year. Both Crysis and SMG are amazing game but they don't do any innovating to their genres. They are just both very solid games. WiC is not only extremely solid, it innovated RTSs. Wasdie

QFT

OUR THE WiC is incredible. Every single match with my mates has been superb because of the non-stop action :D. It is definitely the BEST rts to play at lan parties 8)
Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#41 Fhiz
Member since 2004 • 7718 Posts
Halo 3 or the orange box wont get it.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
Hellgate London GOTY confirmed.smokeydabear076

that wasnt funny at all :roll:
TheMysticHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheMysticHorse
Crysis will not win. It's a good game, but come on. If you are saying Halo 3 isn't good enough then Crysis isn't either.Ilived
Crysis destroys Halo in every single aspect besides perhaps multiplayer, and Halo 3's multiplayer isn't very good anyway.
Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the strongest contenders for GOTY right now, followed by Portal (orange box), and Crysis. There has been some talk of Mass Effect, but I'd say take a "wait and see" approach on that, people were pretty enthralled with Bioshock until they really got into it and realized what a shoddy game it was.

Halo 3 winning GOTY on GS would reflect rather poorly on the site - there are too many other creative, interesting, excellent games that came out this year to let popularity win out over quality. I could see Halo 3 taking "user choice" awards simply due to having a large fanbase on GS.

subrosian
Agreed. 100% SMG is simply amazing.
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

TheMysticHorse

mass effect. and halo 3 does have a chance.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

I think its going to be between Mass Effect and Super Mario Galaxy to be honest. And I think Mass Effect (as much as it excites me) has been given too much hype to be anything other than a slight disappointment. I still think it will be a strong contender though. The fact that SMG is such a return to form (finally) for Mario will boost its profile in my opinion.

Im not gonna say Crysis. Its a shame, it was hyped too much for graphics and not enough for its gameplay (which is no doubt good fun, although its not really my cup of tea). A game hyped so much for graphics only deserves to be a runner up at best.

And if the Orange Box wins, I'll eat my hat.

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jlh47

Mass Effect got gimped into a fumblesticks shooter. After Jade Empire, I wouldn't be so sure Mass Effect is going to score highly at Gamespot. Even if it scrapes a pity 9.0 it still won't compete with the games I mentioned.TheMysticHorse

it's not gimped. have you read any of the reviews? gi gave it 9.75... it is the front runner.

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]Hellgate London GOTY confirmed.anshul89

that wasnt funny at all :roll:

Made the pc gamer sad.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
wow no one even mentioned Assassins Creed.I think that game makes a shot as well as Halo3, Crysis, Mass Effect(If it Lives up the Hype) and Super Mario Galaxy
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jlh47
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="lt-rickhunter"] because when i own games like bioshock, gears of war, cod4 for the 360. and you compare those 3 games to halo 3 graphics, you notice how much halo 3 graphics look fugly compared to those 3 games, that is why. but unlike you, im not a halo fan, and i can honestly say halo 3 should be called jaglo 3 instead ,with all the jaggies etc. but i do think the first lvl of halo 3 looked awesome, the rest looked like the crap in that toilet lt-rickhunter

ill be honest, halo 3 outside maps look nice with jaggies, but it looked nice. but inside maps they are fugly. which in halo 3 you spend about 80% on inside maps. as for being alfy, sorry i am ltrickhunter. but you can call me alfy, i would be honered if you did.

wow i don't even think you played halo 3... you're outside for over half the game.