I know you was getting settled but the scorpio announcement is getting very close...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Yes folks, with the summer at the doorstep you probably forgotten that in 2 weeks e3 starts, that also means that the microsoft conference starts before that and if I recall correctly they would do an extensive showing of the new scorpio system.

You probably have a lot of questions, like what will the performance be, price? will it have a lot of new games?

The digital foundry reveal gave us a glimpse of the performance , gtx 1070 level performance? quite possibly, or is forza such a badly optimized game...

Price, is the xbox ceo going to lose face again with announcing a 500$ console?

and games... we know augmented reality is defenitely a thing that's coming for windows 10 and the scorpio but will it get a lot of attention? Will there be a lot of new games for microsoft systems, including the scorpio.

I say yes , no and yes, It will have crazy performance, it will be cheaper than 500$ and it will have a lot of new games including ar. I'm sure xbox one will get the watered down versions of these new scorpio games, but who cares, sony's reign is over , rejoice

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Not interested in the Scorpio myself, but very interested in what it does for this forum lol.

If it's a disaster, cows will rub your face in it forever. If it's great, cows will spin it every way they can.

I'm expecting the latter, but it's gonna be fun either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Scorpio? What's that?

Seriously, though. No one's even talking about it anymore. Scorpio hype has been completely deflated, if it ever even got started in the first place outside of the lems on this forum.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 commander

@ConanTheStoner said:

Not interested in the Scorpio myself, but very interested in what it does for this forum lol.

If it's a disaster, cows will rub your face in it forever. If it's great, cows will spin it every way they can.

why are you not interested, even if you don't buy it, it could push the quality in games forward. Unlike sony's platform, pc gamers will get the scorpio titles as well.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commander

@reduc_ab_ said:

Scorpio? What's that?

Seriously, though. No one's even talking about it anymore. Scorpio hype has been completely deflated, if it ever even got started in the first place outside of the lems on this forum.

No one has been talking about it lately because that's all we talked about for weeks since that article from digital foundry. Now that the dust has settled there's a major storm on the horizon.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner  Online
@commander said:

why are you not interested, even if you don't buy it, it could push the quality in games forward. Unlike sony's platform, pc gamers will get the scorpio titles as well.

Just not interested in the platform itself as it doesn't offer anything better than what I already have. But if I only gamed on consoles, you bet your ass I'd get it just to play better multiplats. Nothing against the platform, it's just not something I'll be picking up.

As for Scorpio benefits spilling over to PC, meh, I doubt it. At least not in some meaningful way. Like if we were seeing a traditional console generation leap, where the baseline standard for development is raised, then sure. But I don't think Scorpio will be doing that for the industry. It'll just be similar to PC in that it plays current gen stuff with better graphics/performance.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 GordonFreeman
Member since 2017 • 588 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Scorpio? What's that?

What is there to further discuss about it beyond what is already known? Microsoft is being very tight lipped about not only this but what they have going on for E3 so there's not a lot of subject matter to maintain a dialog. Hype and anticipation has not faded as you're of course ridiculously asserting, it has simply turned into calm waiting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@commander: If you say so. More likely people just never really cared in the first place. E3 might change that. Or it may not. It just seems like the Scorpio is dead in the water in terms of public interest right now.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

In other news Tiger Woods was arrested for a DUI.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GordonFreeman

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

He looks like total shit, bug eyed alien looking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gordonfreeman: "Calm waiting" lol. AKA "no one cares".

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander

@reduc_ab_ said:

@commander: If you say so. More likely people just never really cared in the first place. E3 might change that. Or it may not. It just seems like the Scorpio is dead in the water in terms of public interest right now.

Well I wish I could forget the past as easily as you do. Ignorance is truly bliss.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56101 Posts

"The digital foundry reveal gave us a glimpse of the performance , gtx 1070 level performance? quite possibly, or is forza such a badly optimized game..."

What's this now? A level of a GTX 1070 performance? That's impossible!

"Price, is the xbox ceo going to lose face again with announcing a 500$ console?"

It should be noted that Mr. Spencer knows fully aware they will price it the right way since this is NOT a Next-Gen console, just an upgrade only. $500 seems like a worthy price and remember, you'll get what you pay for right? From everything I've seen so far, that's been discussed regarding the Scorpio and Spencer's constant emphasis on this being a PREMIUM product. While from a gamer and marketing standpoint, $500 would be the most attractive and realistic price, I think MS which continues to prove it is slightly out of touch from time to time, may think the power behind the console is worth the high price.

Personally, I think they are going to have a hard time selling it at $500 when it's really just an upgrade console which is optional, when you have the PS4 Pro at $400 and the base versions of both the X1 and PS4 at $300 and possibly lower at the holiday season. MS better have some serious exclusives under the belt for Autumn/Winter seasons because I can't imagine that many people rushing out for it simply because it can do Native 4K.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@commander: If you are referring to that one week or so a while back where the Scorpio was the topic of the minute..... can you really blame me for considering it forgettable?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By commander

@ConanTheStoner said:

Just not interested in the platform itself as it doesn't offer anything better than what I already have. But if I only gamed on consoles, you bet your ass I'd get it just to play better multiplats. Nothing against the platform, it's just not something I'll be picking up.

As for Scorpio benefits spilling over to PC, meh, I doubt it. At least not in some meaningful way. Like if we were seeing a traditional console generation leap, where the baseline standard for development is raised, then sure. But I don't think Scorpio will be doing that for the industry. It'll just be similar to PC in that it plays current gen stuff with better graphics/performance.

I do think devs will use this power, especially if there's a user base for it. It all depends what microsoft will be offering, they promised a lot of new games and if those take advantage of the scorpio, and they are successfull as well, then the game is on.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag

I think the only way MS could get people excited is if they announced Bungie was going to be making the next Halo game. Once you tarnish your flagship IP the way 343 has the whole brand just sinks with it imo.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GordonFreeman

@reduc_ab_ said:

@gordonfreeman: "Calm waiting" lol. AKA "no one cares".

You completely skirted the meat and potatoes of what I said, what is there to further discuss about it currently? People have run through every possible discussion there could be about it with the known information, it's trickled out, not to mention it's been an entire year since it was announced and the most we've gotten is some technical information and a few things about game performance and what the system can do, and it's all been discussed from A-Z.

You're clearly grasping at straws because the minute available information which has sparsely been released over the last year has been discussed ad nauseam and to conclusion, until E3, there's nothing new to talk about.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I'm more surprise he didn't get arrested for picking up any Prostitutes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gordonfreeman: Dude, this forum is comprised of 99% pure conjecture most of the time. Have you forgotten where you are? Bottom line, if the majority cared about the Scorpio around here, there'd be talk about it. There is no talk, or at least very little. Not too hard to do the math.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commander

@reduc_ab_ said:

@commander: If you are referring to that one week or so a while back where the Scorpio was the topic of the minute..... can you really blame me for considering it forgettable?

the scorpio announcement topic on reddit had 5000 replies not to mention the numerous threads that have been made on other sites but if you call that topic of the minute, be my guest.

it just faded away since we didn't get any new information and because new information was still 2 months away, now it's less than 2 weeks away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@commander: Again, if you say so. It just seems like almost nobody is talking about it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator

@commander said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

You kinda miss his point. Conan has a PC, as well as I do. Anyone who has a good PC gaming, it doesn't do well for anyone of us and the main problem is, this is just an upgrade console only, not next-gen and if the Scorpio was in fact next-gen, then some of us can see this as something interest to invest buying it and the fact that MS games can now be play on PC is also a reason to not really bother with it. Conan doesn't have nothing against Xbox One, but at it's current state, it's the weakest link. I'm not trying to be mean to any Xbox One owners but it is.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GordonFreeman

@reduc_ab_ said:

@gordonfreeman: Dude, this forum is comprised of 99% pure conjecture most of the time. Have you forgotten where you are? Bottom line, if the majority cared about the Scorpio around here, there'd be talk about it. There is no talk, or at least very little. Not too hard to do the math.

Even so, there's nothing to talk about because there's just no information, we know only a few things and nothing more. As I said this whole thing has been extremely tight lipped, the last bit of new information we really got was from the Digital Foundry analysis of the system and that was already gone through from top to bottom. We're two weeks away from E3, all anyone can do at this point is just wait and see, there's not enough available subject matter to keep bringing it up, there's not leaks popping up from all over the internet, we know what we've known for months now.

Answer me this, what should people be discussing? You seem to be so keen on this system having dead hype since there is very little talk about it, tell us all, what should people be talking about in regard to it? Price? We don't know and that's been talked about to death. Specs? We know those and roughly what they're capable of and that's been talked about to death. Games coming? No one has any idea with the exception of things like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and so on and so forth.

Please, in front of everyone, tell us something new about Scorpio that could be discussed that hasn't already been 500 different times?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@davillain- said:

"The digital foundry reveal gave us a glimpse of the performance , gtx 1070 level performance? quite possibly, or is forza such a badly optimized game..."

1. What's this now? A level of a GTX 1070 performance? That's impossible!

"Price, is the xbox ceo going to lose face again with announcing a 500$ console?"

It should be noted that Mr. Spencer knows fully aware they will price it the right way since this is NOT a Next-Gen console, just an upgrade only. $500 seems like a worthy price and remember, you'll get what you pay for right? From everything I've seen so far, that's been discussed regarding the Scorpio and Spencer's constant emphasis on this being a PREMIUM product. While from a gamer and marketing standpoint, $500 would be the most attractive and realistic price, I think MS which continues to prove it is slightly out of touch from time to time, may think the power behind the console is worth the high price.

Personally, I think they are going to have a hard time selling it at $500 when it's really just an upgrade console which is optional, when you have the PS4 Pro at $400 and the base versions of both the X1 and PS4 at $300 and possibly lower at the holiday season. MS better have some serious exclusives under the belt for Autumn/Winter seasons because I can't imagine that many people rushing out for it simply because it can do Native 4K.

1. Not impossible, if Polaris GPU at 6 TFLOPS FP32 has >300 Gbps physical memory bandwidth.

Read http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-pro-bandwidth-is-potential-bottleneck-for-4k-but-a-thought-through-tradeoff-little-nightmares-dev

For 4K, PS4 Pro's 4.2 TFLOPS GPU is bottle-necked by 218 Gbps physical memory bandwidth

RX-480's 5.83 TFLOPS has 256 physical memory bandwidth which has worst memory bandwidth condition than PS4 Pro.

One of the major secret sauce for GTX 1070 is it's effective memory bandwidth from it's superior DCC (Delta Color Compression).

R9-390X doesn't have DCC to restore the lost memory bandwidth inefficiencies.

R9-290/R9-290X has 320 GBps physical memory bandwidth with 263 GBps effective memory bandwidth, hence R9-390X's 384 GBps would be around 315.6 GBps.

RX-480 (5.83 TFLOPS)'s 264 GB/s effective bandwidth, hence very close to R9-290 (4.8 TFLOPS) and R9-290X (5.6 TFLOPS) results.

http://wccftech.com/phil-spencer-xbox-scorpio-teraflops/

Phil Spencer correctly identifies AMD GPU issues with it's high TFLOPS i.e. memory bandwidth.

When you talk to me about Scorpio, the term I use about the architecture isn’t the six teraflops which is obviously what we’ve announced, it’s balance. Really what it is, is you want a platform that is balanced between memory bandwidth, GPU power, you know, your ability to move memory and [an] amount of memory around in many ways is more inhibiting to the performance of your game than absolute teraflops on any one of the individual pieces, and when we designed Scorpio we really thought about this balanced rig that could come together at a price-point. Like, I want Scorpio to be at a console price-point, I’m not trying to go and compete with a high-end rig. And because we’re building one spec, we’re able to look at the balance between all the components and make sure that it’s something we really hit that matters to consumers and gamers.

The lesson from Nvidia Maxwell/Pascal designs are increase memory bandwidth with matching TFLOPS power increase.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

"For 4K assets, textures get larger and render targets get larger as well. This means a couple of things - you need more space, you need more bandwidth," explains Nick Baker. "The question though was how much? We'd hate to build this GPU and then end up having to be memory-starved. All the analysis that Andrew was talking about, we were able to look at the effect of different memory bandwidths, and it quickly led us to needing more than 300GB/s memory bandwidth. In the end we ended up choosing 326GB/s. On Scorpio we are using a 384-bit GDDR5 interface - that is 12 channels. Each channel is 32 bits, and then 6.8GHz on the signalling so you multiply those up and you get the 326GB/s."

Scorpio's GPU has more than 300 Gbps memory bandwidth allocated to it. Polaris DCC recovers memory bandwidth lost to memory subsystem inefficiencies.

NVIDIA's view on increasing effective memory bandwidth relative to TFLOPS power >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AMD/Sony's high TFLOPS PR BS.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner  Online

@commander said:

I do think devs will use this power, especially if there's a user base for it. It all depends what microsoft will be offering, they promised a lot of new games and if those take advantage of the scorpio, and they are successfull as well, then the game is on.

If they actually come through on that, games that don't compromise for the older hardware, and those games are actually good? Then hell yes, sounds great to me.

Guess we have to wait and see. But I highly doubt we'll see devs out there creating Scorpio exclusives.

If they simply take advantage of the Scorpio then:

It'll just be similar to PC in that it plays current gen stuff with better graphics/performance.

Which isn't a bad thing at all. Just doesn't do anything for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gordonfreeman: "Even so"

Uh...conjecture is conjecture, and this place is full of it. And no one is so much as whispering about the Scorpio, and hasn't been for a long while. Look, the thing might be cool, but right now it's pretty easy to think that nobody cares about it based on the fact that there is literally no buzz about it.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@commander: This thread is about a year late, since MS already announced Project Scorpio at E3 2016. And as for AR, I wouldn't hold your breath since there haven't been any AR headsets announced as being in development aside from Hololens, which is not coming this year, or probably next. Don't be confused with Windows Mixed Reality headsets which are actually VR headsets with Windows Mixed Reality being the new name for Windows AR/VR/Holographic.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GordonFreeman

@reduc_ab_ said:

Uh...conjecture is conjecture, and this place is full of it. And no one is so much as whispering about the Scorpio, and hasn't been for a long while. Look, the thing might be cool, but right now it's pretty easy to think that nobody cares about it based on the fact that there is literally no buzz about it.

You're dodging my question, if you can't answer it it's only because what I am saying is the root of the supposed problem.

If you actually feel like giving me a real answer to the question and providing new subject matter that hasn't been discussed to death, then by all means let me know.

We don't know what the games will be so there's nothing to speculate, we already know how powerful it is so there's nothing to speculate, we already know its system features so there's nothing to speculate, we already know it's considerably more powerful than Sony's Pro offering so there's nothing to speculate.

You can fall back on conjecture all you want but there's not even enough available information and what is known is solidified so there's barely any way to even facilitate a discussion based upon conjecture.

You're being a weasel right now trying to slide around logic to imply a problem where there is none, get a new shtick.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I don't understand how this console could cost less than $500. They can't really sell at a loss either because the Scorpio won't have mass appeal. The sales will be similar to the PS4 Pro. People are gonna buy the cheaper option.

Me personally, I'm excited for Scorpio. The Xbox One S is keeping its spot warm on the 4K hdr TV in the game room.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag

@goldenelementxl said:

I don't understand how this console could cost less than $500. They can't really sell at a loss either because the Scorpio won't have mass appeal. The sales will be similar to the PS4 Pro. People are gonna buy the cheaper option.

Me personally, I'm excited for Scorpio. The Xbox One S is keeping its spot warm on the 4K hdr TV in the game room.

It needs to cost $400 to stand a chance. At $500 it will be DOA. Sony is probably prepared to cut the price of the Pro anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@gordonfreeman said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

You're dodging my question, if you can't answer it it's only because what I am saying is the root of the supposed problem.

If you actually feel like giving me a real answer to the question and providing new subject matter that hasn't been discussed to death, then by all means let me know.

We don't know what the games will be so there's nothing to speculate, we already know how powerful it is so there's nothing to speculate, we already know its system features so there's nothing to speculate, we already know it's considerably more powerful than Sony's Pro offering so there's nothing to speculate.

You can fall back on conjecture all you want but there's not even enough available information and what is known is solidified so there's barely any way to even facilitate a discussion based upon conjecture.

You're being a weasel right now trying to slide around logic to imply a problem where there is none, get a new shtick.

Ah, yes, name-calling, the calling card of one with no way of logically refuting the counter argument. Well played.

Now, as to your accusation that I did not answer your question: I did answer. Conjecture is conjecture. I don't think I need to spell out what people could possibly theorize about concerning the Scorpio, a console, mind you, that MS claims is the most powerful ever created.

Anyway, again, conjecture is rampant here, and almost no one is bothering to lend any to the Scorpio. That spells lack of interest fairly clearly. Or very clearly, rather. You can right me essays all day to add to the ones you've already offered, but it will not change the fact that there is very little, if any, buzz concerning the Scorpio around here. Why this upsets you, well, I suppose you have your reasons, sweetheart.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

The hype is dead and it will die again a week or two after E3. 3rd party games can't hold hype.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By commander

@davillain-: you have been ronned... lol

also the scorpio is about 5-6 times more powerfull than the xboxone, that's a full generational leap.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By commander

@goldenelementxl said:

well according to @ronvalencia the bom cost of the scorpio would allow it to sell lower than 500$.

@asylumni said:

@commander: This thread is about a year late, since MS already announced Project Scorpio at E3 2016. And as for AR, I wouldn't hold your breath since there haven't been any AR headsets announced as being in development aside from Hololens, which is not coming this year, or probably next. Don't be confused with Windows Mixed Reality headsets which are actually VR headsets with Windows Mixed Reality being the new name for Windows AR/VR/Holographic.

there is already an ar headset announced and it will cost 300$

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By commander

@ConanTheStoner said:
@commander said:

If they actually come through on that, games that don't compromise for the older hardware, and those games are actually good? Then hell yes, sounds great to me.

Guess we have to wait and see. But I highly doubt we'll see devs out there creating Scorpio exclusives.

If they simply take advantage of the Scorpio then:

It'll just be similar to PC in that it plays current gen stuff with better graphics/performance.

Which isn't a bad thing at all. Just doesn't do anything for me.

that's not how it works, not anymore since the x360 and ps3, multiplats are now designed to run on consoles. If devs see a business opportunity, or even just micosoft by releasing a game that's designed for the scorpio, it will happen, especially if they can port it down to the xboxone/ps4.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner  Online
@commander said:

that's not how it works, not anymore since the x360 and ps3, multiplats are now designed to run on consoles and then get ported to pc.

I didn't say anything to the contrary?

@commander said:

IF devs see a business opportunity, or even just micosoft by releasing a game that's designed for the scorpio, it will happen,

"IF" being the key word here, yes? I already agreed that would be cool. But I also said that I doubt many devs will go for that. MS 1st party would likely be the only ones, and even that's a bit risky. Especially seeing as their 1st party is so slim to begin with, doubt they're going to screw their larger user base like that. This is something that might happen years from now if Scorpio is a huge success.

@commander said:

especially if they can port it down to the xboxone/ps4.

Annnnd that just circles us all the way back around. This being more of what I expect. Not full blown Scorpio titles that don't compromise, but rather titles that can definitely work with the older hardware, but look/perform better on Scorpio (and PC).

---

It seems we're in agreement here, but you just don't like the way I'm saying it lol.

Recap:

- Yes there is the possibility that Scorpio could have some games built from the ground up for it. Would be cool. Will it benefit PC in any meaningful way? Nah, not really.

- More than likely, the Scorpio will just play current gen titles in better form (much like PC does with multiplats). Good news for Xbox fans, just not enticing to me as I already have a nice PC.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Scorpio? What's that?

ANd yet you cows talk about it more than anyone here......it's called fear.

Ahh you mean like the shit selling PSVR. Outside of THIS place, it doesn't get talked about and going by sales, it doesn't sell either.

You keep pretending the Scorpio hasn't generated mass curiousity and buzz, mask that fear cow.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Here's my guess... I expect Scorpio to be $649.99 CDN at least. I also expect some big guns to justify it otherwise why bother. We will see soon.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

There is ONE thing they could announce that would change everything for me: MINECRAFT 2!!! If they announced that, it would be the end of me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@commander said:

also the scorpio is about 5-6 times more powerfull than the xboxone, that's a full generational leap.

I fully expected him to show up hence why I mention 1070 lol. But I don't mind it, It's going to be very interesting if he's right and how it all turns out.

If it's indeed a fully generation leap, why can't MS just say it's next-gen? No one wouldn't question MS for starting next-gen this early.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NathanDrakeSwag
@davillain- said:
@commander said:

I fully expected him to show up hence why I mention 1070 lol. But I don't mind it, It's going to be very interesting if he's right and how it all turns out.

If it's indeed a fully generation leap, why can't MS just say it's next-gen? No one wouldn't question MS for starting next-gen this early.

If this is their next gen system they're fvcked. Sony could come back and announce a PS5 in a year or 2 that destroys it spec wise.

Its a nice upgrade over the current consoles but still not powerful enough to feel like a true generational leap.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@goldenelementxl said:

It needs to cost $400 to stand a chance. At $500 it will be DOA. Sony is probably prepared to cut the price of the Pro anyway.

I concur.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@commander said:

No its not. That is factually incorrect. Its not even 5 times more powerful than the Xbox One.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@commander said:

well according to @ronvalencia the bom cost of the scorpio would allow it to sell lower than 500$.

@asylumni said:

there is already an ar headset announced and it will cost 300$

That's exactly what I was talking about. That's a VR headset; it's not capable of AR. Windows Mixed Reality is just MS's label they are putting on VR and AR headsets.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia

@goldenelementxl said:

1. I don't understand how this console could cost less than $500.

They can't really sell at a loss either because the Scorpio won't have mass appeal.

2. The sales will be similar to the PS4 Pro. People are gonna buy the cheaper option.

3. Me personally, I'm excited for Scorpio. The Xbox One S is keeping its spot warm on the 4K hdr TV in the game room.

1. MS discovered NVIDIA's secret sauce and guided AMD towards it. MS created software GPU simulator and guided AMD to reduce hardware bottlenecks. NVIDIA has massive supercomputer cluster to simulated GPU designs and large system software engineers resource to guide it's hardware engineers. MS's system software engineer resource are also large and guided AMD's hardware engineers.

If MS takes over AMD, MS as a GPU vendor would be very competitive.

Both Scorpio and XBO has similar size APU chip. Scorpio is effectively Xbox One reboot under Phil Spencer's administration.

Both GTX 1070 and RX-480/RX-580 has similar PCB BOM cost i.e. 256 bit GDDR5-8000 memory setup.

GTX 1070's GP104 chip is about 36 percent large chip than RX-480/RX-580, hence BOM cost scales accordingly.

GTX 1070 only uses about 70 percent of GP104 chip.

GTX 1070's major secret sauce is higher effective memory bandwidth via superior memory compression.

Turn 10 has programming experience on NVIDIA Maxwell/Pascal GPUs and has guided AMD on improving Hawaii based 44 CU GPU.

The cost difference with extra 4 GB GDDR5-7000 is minor. The latest GDDR5 chips are rated 9000 Mhz effective for year 2017. Wait for a year, another new PC part pushes older part's price downwards.

The cost difference with 4K blu-ray drive is minor. MS waited for another year for 4K blu-ray drive maturity.

Scorpio is a product with ~1 year extra R&D.

PS4 Pro's worst enemy is PS4's 1080p majority results. XBO doesn't have this luxury.

PS4 Pro doesn't have enough power for sustained AAA 4K gaming.

PS4 Pro doesn't have 4K blu-ray player.

3. Scorpio has the new HDMI 2.1 support while XBO S has the older HDMI 2.0 support. Later year 2017/early 2018 UHDTVs will have HDMI 2.1 support.

For HDMI 2.1 generation, Sony's option are

a. PS4 Pro Slim update with HDMI 2.1 and 4K blu-ray drive.

b. Exercise PS4 NEO Option B i.e. Scorpio's 1172 Mhz GPU clock speed and 36 CU yields 5.4 TFLOPS which is very close to the leaked NEO Option B's 5.5 TFLOPS. 36 CU (mirror 18 CU) is important for PS4 BC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@ConanTheStoner said:

If its the later I would be ready with lime and salt. :D

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@davillain- said:
@commander said:

If this is their next gen system they're fvcked. Sony could come back and announce a PS5 in a year or 2 that destroys it spec wise.

Its a nice upgrade over the current consoles but still not powerful enough to feel like a true generational leap.

Microsoft already shown their Scorpio upgrade doesn't require PS4 Pro's 18 CU mirror setup for BC support i.e. 40 CU/44 CU is NOT a mirror of XBO's 12 CU.

Scorpio already has two SKUs i.e.

1. 44 CU (6.6 TFLOPS) version with 24 GB GDDR5 memory. <--------- The memory foot print is already pointing beyond the retail Scorpio and it's missing 7 nm NAVI and year 2018 GDDR6 or cheaper HBM v2

2. 40 CU (6 TFLOPS) version with 12 GB GDDR5 memory.

MS already created software ecosystem that can scale beyond retail Scorpio.

MS already stated, Scorpio is not the last Xbox.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By commander

@ConanTheStoner said:
@commander said:

that's not how it works, not anymore since the x360 and ps3, multiplats are now designed to run on consoles and then get ported to pc.

1 I didn't say anything to the contrary?

@commander said:

IF devs see a business opportunity, or even just micosoft by releasing a game that's designed for the scorpio, it will happen,

"IF" being the key word here, yes? I already agreed that would be cool. But I also said that I doubt many devs will go for that. MS 1st party would likely be the only ones, and even that's a bit risky. Especially seeing as their 1st party is so slim to begin with, doubt they're going to screw their larger user base like that. This is something that might happen years from now if Scorpio is a huge success.

@commander said:

especially if they can port it down to the xboxone/ps4.

Annnnd that just circles us all the way back around. This being more of what I expect. Not full blown Scorpio titles that don't compromise, but rather titles that can definitely work with the older hardware, but look/perform better on Scorpio (and PC).

---

It seems we're in agreement here, but you just don't like the way I'm saying it lol.

Recap:

- Yes there is the possibility that Scorpio could have some games built from the ground up for it. Would be cool. Will it benefit PC in any meaningful way? Nah, not really.

- More than likely, the Scorpio will just play current gen titles in better form (much like PC does with multiplats). Good news for Xbox fans, just not enticing to me as I already have a nice PC.

you said the scorpio, just like the pc will run current gen games in better quality, but it's not the same thing if the game is built for the scorpio and then downported to the xboxone. Like I said , the scorpio is not a pc, and has a much higher chance to be used as the main system for game design.

Downporting and running games in higher quality is a major difference, every game on the xboxone could be run on the x360 if devs really wanted it too, it won't look that good and/or won't run very well, but some games at the end of last gen were already something like that. Dead space 3 and bioshock infinite comes to mind but they were still made for last gen consoles in the first place and it shows when you play those games on the pc.

They are still not cross gen games though, like destiny for instance or king kong back in 2005, games that run on both systems, but have a full generational leap between them in terms of quality. It will be the same with the scorpio, you will see cross gen games, games that are build first primarly for the strongest consoles but have a version to run on the weaker system.

They will push it as far as they can, but after some cross gen games, games will release that leave the xboxone behind. Not to mention that ar and vr will be scorpio only as well.

But to come back to your lack of interest, I can't speak for destiny, since that wasn't on the pc, but king kong on the pc had two versions as well, the version similar to the xbox/ps2/gamecube version, and the version for the x360 (ps3 wasn't released yet). The comment on gamespot was....

'doesn't look that impressive unless you have a ridiculous pc' Of course the x360 was a monster of a system when it released back in 2005 , even compared to pc's. The scorpio won't be that strong but if they make a game with the scorpio in mind, you will see major advantages, you won't need a ridiculous pc but if rumours are true, it would require a beefy gpu.

Like I said, in the end you can downport pretty much every game to the previous gen, it won't look half as good, but nobody can accuse ms of leaving the xboxone behind.

and it's certainly not the same thing as just running current gen games in higher quality.