I am having issues with my Graphics Card. Can anyone help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gordonxavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By gordonxavier
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Hi there,

I have a Dell XPS 15, L502X laptop with core i7 processor, 6GB RAM and 2 GB NVIDIA GT 540M graphics card. Whenever I play FIFA 17, I get an error within 20 seconds that my graphics card has stopped working and recovered successfully. I tried underclocking my graphics card, I tried to change some settings in the NVIDIA control panel but the issue still has not been resolved. Just yesterday I saw a video where the person stated that changing the power supply might solve this issue.

So I just unplugged my laptop charger and started FIFA 17 and to my surprise, my graphics card did not crash and the game was running although it was extremely slow and almost unplayable, the graphics card did not crash. The moment I switched on the charger I received the error that my graphics card driver has crashed.

I do not know how do I solve this issue. Can anyone help, please?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Get a console.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

This is the wrong forum, really, but I would try updating the drivers from Nvidia.com.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

6 years old, slow CPU, slow RAM, slow GPU etc. I'm sure that laptop served you well in the past, but it's time to move on. You would even be better off moving to a PS4 slim or Xbox One S for current games. Hell, get a Switch! You can still game on the go!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@gordonxavier said:

Hi there,

I have a Dell XPS 15, L502X laptop with core i7 processor, 6GB RAM and 2 GB NVIDIA GT 540M graphics card. Whenever I play FIFA 17, I get an error within 20 seconds that my graphics card has stopped working and recovered successfully. I tried underclocking my graphics card, I tried to change some settings in the NVIDIA control panel but the issue still has not been resolved. Just yesterday I saw a video where the person stated that changing the power supply might solve this issue.

So I just unplugged my laptop charger and started FIFA 17 and to my surprise, my graphics card did not crash and the game was running although it was extremely slow and almost unplayable, the graphics card did not crash. The moment I switched on the charger I received the error that my graphics card driver has crashed.

I do not know how do I solve this issue. Can anyone help, please?

do you get the same error when you remove the battery.

I would install the latest nvidia drivers too.

gordonxavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By gordonxavier
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

@commander: I haven't tried removing the laptop battery and just running the game on AC power but will give it a try tonight. I did install the latest drives from NVIDIA but the issue still remains. The moment I plugged the charger in, NVIDIA graphics card driver would crash down so I thought may be there is issue with the power supply. Once I removed the charger, the game would run but as I mentioned it would run extremely slow and unplayable. I will try removing the battery and play the game though.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

No! Another laptop! Seriously. Gah!

OK. If anyone wants to get into PC gaming in the future... I know laptops sound amazing, right? Portable, fast, cheap. Let me get this straight: You can't get it all. It can't be cheap and small and dissipate heat fast enough while powering crazy games. Oh and I forgot, you are also buying a screen with that. Laptops with insane future tech that can cool enough and last for more than an hour are $3000+ and they tend to be very heavy. Very heavy. Heavy as in 'you should have bought a desktop because you are not going to take this thing anywhere' kind of heavy. You're always going to have big drawbacks with laptops even if you throw thousands of dollars at it. I know they sell the cheaper laptops like they can run anything, but it's very simple: that's a lie. It's going to catch fire if you're lucky. This week alone 3 people turned to me to make their laptops run faster. Oh it was so fast the day I bought it. When did you buy it? Oh 6 years ago it ran my games fine. And I tried. And I got them to at least boot 20% faster but seriously they're never happy with it. Oh it's still so slow. Yes! It is very slow! Gaming laptops -as a rule- don't make people happy. They are trouble. I'm writing this rule down right now. It's a fact now. Omg I hate gaming laptops so much.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Not to be a douche or anything, but other people in here are right. Laptops aren't good for gaming. Laptops that are good for gaming are seriously fucking expensive and still not that good for gaming. If you can, you should get a machine that's for gaming. If not - good luck with your old thingy.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

GS marked this as best answer. :P

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but this really isn't the place to ask about it. You should take it up in the PC/Mac/Linux board.