How you pay for your gaming? Are you earning or your parents provide for your gaming?

• 107 results
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

If you are 20+ and still game off your parents than you SHOULD be ashamed. At that point if you can't pay for the games then you might as well not game at all.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

My parent's haven't bought me a game since I was 14. Once I got my first part time job, that was the end of it.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I work so everything in my life is bought with my own money, left home at 15 (am 37 now) and since then I've been entirely independent. Well before then I did buy my own Mega Drive, N64 and games. I don't earn much so have to dip into the credit card (which I only got a few years ago) to buy games and systems, I pay it off pretty fast as I'm really good at paying off debt rather than saving money.

I can see myself gaming for life, only one in a family of 6 that loves games and technology.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#54 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

29 and I work full time and support 2 children. Whatever disposable income I may have might go into a game or two if the deal is good enough lol

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

@Legend002: There's nothing to be ashamed of, most people between 20-25 are still in school persuing their degrees full time and don't have a income coming in.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

I buy my own games and stuff when I want to and how I want to because I have a nice career.

I get around indzman.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Work = Video games.

I usually buy games on sale or pre owned, only pay $90 CAD on games I really want.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

47, married and the proud dad to 10 year old twin girls, also have a mortgage, a dog and a full time job, obviously I pay for everything, although my wife works in a school hours job which definitely helps. It sometimes makes me laugh when I'm asked what I want for my birthday or Christmas because at the end of the day I'm paying for it regardless :)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I’m an adult so I pay for all of my own stuff

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@indzman said:

Im a sales guy dealing in SIEMENS PLM softwares.

Ha, I used to build showfloor exhibits for those guys a long time ago.

-

But yeah, I buy all my own stuff. I don't think my parents have bought me anything gaming related since FF7 came out, think I was 14 or 15.

35, freelance 3d artist, work in my underwear while staying baked.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm 24 and have saved up enough money from a recent job at my university to be able to afford my games and then some. Before that, I used to buy video games with the money I got as gifts from my grandparents (they are very generous like that). I also still live with my parents so I pretty much have no real expenses to eat up my savings.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

52 and been buyin' my things since i was 20...that's when i first started working, i was still a student way back then.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Work... the only games my mum ever bought were during NES & SNES days. :P

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I have paid for everything since I was 14/15 and got multiple jobs.

My parents were poor and I struggle today to make ends meet. I have a bad habit of impulse buying games when I need that money for rent LOL

I will be fine though. I make enough to get by, but I could end up homeless.

Oh, and I only buy cheap games. Mostly under $20 each. It adds up though.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts
@Jshoelace said:

37 and earn my own bread for gaming. However most of my money goes on weed, which I enjoy with gaming.. I need to stop or cut down though as can sometimes spend £300 a month on it.. When the weed stops the gaming will probably stop as that's what happened when I gave up before. I just can't stay interested.

Bruh, this post is funny as hell, i'm over here dying laughing, LMAO. I can actually relate to this. Its a great combination.

FenderKiller17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 FenderKiller17
Member since 2017 • 122 Posts

I'm 26 and pay (sometimes too much) for all of my gaming needs. :P

When I was younger my parents would help pay for my gaming hobby. However, I would do work around the house and "earn it." They said it would help we get prepared for the real world. lol. Although, when its by birthday / Christmas I'll ask for a gift card to help subsidize my purchases.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#67 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I get review copies for some games, otherwise I pay for them with money I earn from working. I also buy games for friends on occasion when I want them to play stuff with me.

My parents didn't like my gaming habit and refused to buy me anything gaming related past the age of 12 or so.

So I'd save money where I could, borrow games from friends etc. I did convince them to buy me a computer for school when I was 13 which I upgraded enough to play games reasonably well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@Dark_man123 said:

@Legend002: There's nothing to be ashamed of, most people between 20-25 are still in school persuing their degrees full time and don't have a income coming in.

I also like to add that it's basically now becoming a norm to still living off anyone's parent's house at the age of 20-30 for the most parts. The cost of living has really skyrocket so high over the last decades, even getting a simple job at a fast foods, cash register, ect. isn't gonna cut it paying house bills alone. You need to go to Collage in order to get a good career to be living on your own.

So yeah, there's no shamed of still staying with your family until you are fully ready to move out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Aside from gifts, I've been buying my own games and consoles since the PlayStation days.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

27, work full time in a electrical/software store so just buy what I want from my work place. Although in the last 18 months ive reaalllllly cut back on game expenditure, unless I really want it day one ill wait until its a lot cheaper. I'm now building with my partner, so any extra money is going into that. She's a teacher so money isn't really a issue (AUS teachers get paid a pretty good wage). Always have paid for my own gaming stuff too. The day I got a job was the day I had to pay for everything I wanted

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ProjectPat187 said:
@Jshoelace said:

37 and earn my own bread for gaming. However most of my money goes on weed, which I enjoy with gaming.. I need to stop or cut down though as can sometimes spend £300 a month on it.. When the weed stops the gaming will probably stop as that's what happened when I gave up before. I just can't stay interested.

Bruh, this post is funny as hell, i'm over here dying laughing, LMAO. I can actually relate to this. Its a great combination.

It is a great combo, and yeah, can relate on that too.

I went on 3 years probation once, and wasn't about to chance it, so I flat out quit (until I went on unsupervised 1.5 years in).

And yeah, video games instantly became un-fun for a long while. Like a game had to be straight up superb to have a chance at holding my attention. At that point I had pretty much just quit gaming. Lack of smoke wasn't the only reason why, but it was a big part of it.

It's a bit different for me these days though. Back then I was more like our buddy shoelace here, smoking like a chimney, probably pissing smoke too lol. These days I've cut back a lot and it's not some big part of my routine, can easily go without. And though it definitely enhances the fun I can have with a game, it's not a requirement to enjoy gaming or any of my other hobbies. Guess I finally found more of a balance.

Jshoelace, I'd say it'll change as you grow older, but you're already two years older than me bro lol.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

28, I have a decent full time job, and I pay for my gaming.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

I work retail

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

What do you know about cocain?

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: ha yeah man I know what u mean, things change for me all the time so my weed consumption changes too. I'll calm down again soon as next year I need to save money for a bigger house so I might stop completely for a while. I think I'm getting it all out of my system before I have kids..

The main difference is though, when I'm sober I actually get somewhere in games..

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#78  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@KungfuKitten: What about working in a place like Kringwinkel?

Oh I tried something like that. The government really wanted me to work, it was like top priority of this country it seemed like. (I know it wasn't.) It took them a while but they saw that it wasn't going to be profitable in any way. I needed supervision to protect me from other people's demands and the very short duration that I could work was just not worth it. So they actually gave up on it which, oddly, was a big relief. The constant struggle of finding some purpose with jobs that killed my soul to satisfy the government was taking its toll I guess. Trying something like that is risky too, because if you manage to work for a while and then burn out, you may no longer have any rights to anything anymore. Since you've proven that you can work, how doesn't matter. So it's pretty tense.

It was actually an interesting experience because it was all about the results. There was no point in that whole struggle at which anyone cared about the struggle, about how tough it was on me (whether it was too much or not), how I should go about it, or whether I was going to flip out and burn the place down. (At one point I almost murdered someone there cause I couldn't take it. It's bizarre how fast that can happen if you are in a bad situation long enough.) They just wanted to know whether they could do it, according to standards and regulations. I'm not exactly a complainer but it was very inhuman how their 'care' functioned. I don't want to know what it's like now because they keep trying to save money on those people. Makes you look a little differently at the whole gap between the rich and the poor that is officially so small but in reality so big, and the way they keep trying to save money on the helpless instead of on the people who actually have the money. Slavery is still alive in the Netherlands, I wasn't even one of them but I saw them. They just call them 'bijstandsgerechtigden' now who are forced to work for free, how convenient. There were so many of them that other employees actually started to complain that their jobs were being taken by slaves. And that minimum wage to protect workers from being paid too little? That doesn't apply if you are from another country. Then you're suddenly not a human being, and you get paid maybe 3 times less. I saw people there who had 3 jobs they really didn't want to have, in order to survive. That was their life. If they find out you're pregnant? One of my friends there got pregnant. Fired instantaneously as soon as they found out. Heard about it from some colleague. "They don't want to pay for that" said my teamlead. It was supposed to be hard to fire people in this country, but it really isn't. The companies can get pretty creative with what's there on paper when a bit of money is on the line. Some sad stuff. I'm kind of glad I saw some of it. It changed the way I voted pretty drastically. It made me realize the downtrodden are ever so slowly ready to give up, for a revolt, for whatever. It's quite dangerous down there, they are breeding people who have nothing to lose, I don't think the rich or middle classes have a clue about what's going on in their country. I bet this isn't just happening here, it's probably happening pretty much everywhere.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#79 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I'm unable to have a job ever. So I pay for it with money I get from fellow citizens to help me live a somewhat decent life. It's not much, but there are ways around it. I live together with family so having this roof over my head costs me like half of what it would cost other people to live in a much shittier place. It helps to be flexible and have a good relationship with people. My phone only costs me $10 per month. It's a Google Nexus I quite like it and I don't see the need to upgrade it cause I don't like phone games. I don't smoke, I don't drink. I do exercise with free YouTube videos, it only cost me a gym mat ($60) every few years. I have no car because I don't need one.

So I save a whole lot of money by living in a smart way and yeah, I live a life of relative luxury with lots of food to pick from, people cook for me and wash my clothes, a luxurious house, a good environment, enough money to buy plenty of games. And a lot of time to think. The downside is that I will never make a lot of money and I will never achieve much in life unless it's through things that cost no money. I'm starting to think of some ways in which I could still be 'useful'. When people complain about having 'only' $1200 a month or something it makes me laugh because I could do a whole lot with that kind of money, if you would see what I can do with 3/4th of that.

Hell 1200 wouldn't even cover my mortgage

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Diddies

I am 28 years old (since October). I have been living on my own since about 19. I had me a home built about 4 years ago so I do have a mortgage and pay for it myself as well as my vehicles. I have a wife and two kids. I pay for all my things that I want to spend money on including video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

I'm 28 and I pay for my own stuff...lol. No wife, no kids, great paying job. I'm grateful...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

My parents bought me my first console the Sega Mega Drive with Sonic and then the rest of the games me and my brother would split 50/50 with our savings from pocket money, it would take us several months to buy a new game. The same thing was done when we got out PS1... We sold our Sega and our parents payed the difference and we would use our pocket money to pay for games.

Now I buy my own games and hardware. Gaming was a lot more fun for me as a child... Nothing can beat playing games in the same room with my brother and my cousins for hours and hours. No matter how much I game it seems like the realisation that playing and doing anything with other people makes the experience exceptionally better almost makes me sad since adult life can get very lonely due to time restrictions and responsibilities getting in the way of real social moments.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#84 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I am 25 and pay for all my own games and any other hobbies I have. I got a Wii u for Christmas a few years ago from my parents. Since then I have purchased all my consoles myself (Ps4, Xbox One, New 3DS, Ps vita, PSP, Dreamcast and Genisis). Many of my tattoos were bought by my parents though. Mainly because i always got money for my birthday and Christmas which is when I normally get new tattoos anyways so great timing ftw.

NakedHeadcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 NakedHeadcrab
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

When I was younger, I used to pirate games (*embarrassed*), I did get money from my folks to buy games every now and then. When I graduated from University and got my first job, I started to officially build my "legal" library, using my own money.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

been buying my own games since the ps2 days. was in middle school and would just save up all my money from chores and yard work and helping people move. havent had my parents buy me a game since the late 90's when i was in elementary school

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

20 and being hit hard by poverty. But currently working for a PC. Also the guy above me has a nice pic.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I'll be 43 next month...

Last system my parents bought me was the Sega Genesis. I traded that in when the Super Nintendo came out and have bought everything from then on from my own hard labor. I've owned nearly all of the major consoles and a few rather expensive PC's that I mostly regretted purchasing. I'm very thankful to my parents though. They bought me the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, NES and Sega Genesis. And a lot of games for those systems (except C-64, I pirated all of those games just like everyone else did back then). They didn't see the sense in playing video games (their generation tends not to understand) but it's nice that they funded my hobby that I was quite passionate about.

Now I have a daughter and she has never had to want for a video game, she gets whatever she asks for and she doesn't ask for all that much really. But we are a video gaming family and it feels good.

In conclusion, I work long hours and I'm paid relatively well. I'm lucky and buy whatever I want (within reason). I have more disposable income for games than I do time.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

I have a terrible, terrible game addiction. Its so bad that ive had to resort to giving hummers in back allies for the latest call of duty and madden.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

28 unemployed but disability can have perks. I get employment support allowance which last months I got moved to the support group which is for people who are unable to work because of illness or disability which increased the amount I get and disability living allowance lowest tier in mobility and care. This has allowed me purchase anything I need while paying my share to my parents we split everything down the middle. Only time I ask my parents for money is if I'm buying something like a new TV I put up 75% of the total cost and they add the rest usually birthday/christmas money so counts as like a gift for that event. Summer holidays is when I save for games in Q4.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

@KungfuKitten: Don't start about our government and how it's "helping" people get a job. It's the worst system, and it doesn't help in any way. It keeps people from getting a job.

But your situation doesn't sound great, no. But it's good you're still pushing on and trying.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Dark_man123 said:

I also like to add that it's basically now becoming a norm to still living off anyone's parent's house at the age of 20-30 for the most parts. The cost of living has really skyrocket so high over the last decades, even getting a simple job at a fast foods, cash register, ect. isn't gonna cut it paying house bills alone. You need to go to Collage in order to get a good career to be living on your own.

So yeah, there's no shamed of still staying with your family until you are fully ready to move out.

Nothing wrong IF you live off them(for housing, food) pursuing education. However, I specifically mentioned gaming of them. That's different. If you are going to use their money it better be for the necessity. Being that old, not working nor pursuing an education and just playing games all day makes you are a grade A dirtbag.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

As the owner of the most successful and only professional console on the market the PlayStation 4 Pro it of course matches my lifestyle.

I pay my own way and live a professional life.

28 and staying up late

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#94 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

The last console system somebody bought me was the Sega Master System. I been buying for my own hobby right afterwards. I am 43 years old if you're wondering.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

28, earning for myself and my partner. I've got enough on the side for game purchases (not to mention my boardgame addiction, which I'm fortunately free of now that I'm basically out of storage space).

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@freedomfreak: That’s what happens when you have so many people taking advantage of the wellfare system. Not talking about KungfuKitten here, but I know plenty of them. They’re there, laughing in the faces of those of us working very hard to supply our families and our country. It’s unfair to those in need, but what else is there?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Diddies

@freedomfreak: if you can’t get a job then that is on you. No one pities you. You have to be marketable. I can’t stand when people say they can’t find a job or work because I have worked my ass off and have become quite successful doing it. You can’t find a job then that is on you...no one else.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I'm 24 years old. Living with parents. I work at the town's local library. I'm paying all the costs on my games. Although I didn't pay for my PS4 (as dad bought it for all the family to use. I have two younger brothers and one younger sister).

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm old, married, all that jazz. I pay for myself, and at this point I really don't think my old parents would understand if I wanted them to buy me games...