How The Wii Regained The Hardcore Gamer and won 2010

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This is an extremely interesting article I found, and I think it's well worth a read.

I'm gonna be posting some excerpts from it here, but the full article can be found at Gamingbolt.com

Anyway, some excerpts:

The Nintendo Wii is a bit of a conundrum, probably the biggest paradox that has ever existed in the gaming industry. Here you have a console that literally exploded in retail overnight, going on to sell nearly 80 million units in less than four years worldwide- a feat that not even the legendary Playstation 2 managed- but a console that has been plagued with numerous problems pertaining to its software. So many of them, in fact, that it is almost justified to question the almost unstoppable success of the console.

To begin with, the Wii has become notorious for its shovelware- while no one is for a minute denying that there are good games to be found on the system (some of this generation's best games are to be found on Nintendo's little white box, after all), the problem that they are so greatly outnumbered by buggy and glitchy half assed titles that going shopping for Wii games is literally like finding a needle in a haystack.

The problem is further compounded when one considers that quality third party support on the Wii is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. Although we still get gems like No More Heroes 2 and Monster Hunter, most developers and publishers are increasingly washing their hands off the Wii, claiming any kind of success on the console is hard to be had. They do have a point, though: quality third party games on the Wii have, with few exceptions, bombed hard. Add to that the fact that the Wii is considerably weaker than the other current gen consoles and the PC, and one can see why most developers refrain from releasing any of their popular multiplats- like Red Dead- on the console.

The final problem that the Wii faces, of course, is WiWare. It's a great service- in theory. But Nintendo's archaic online policies have been the bane of the service, with WiiWare missing out on so many quality games that it's not even funny. Some ridiculous restrictions- like the 40 MB size cap- have ensured that most indie developers give WiiWare a miss entirely. The few gems that are to be found on the service almost never make their money back, simply because Nintendo cannot be bothered to promote the service, or its titles.

With so many problems to face, ans the competition becoming increasingly competitive- both in price, and in the motion sensing capabilities on offer- the Wii went into 2010 facing its toughest year on the market ever. Was 2010 the year when the Wii finally lost relevance, fading into the background to become the shortest lived mainstream console ever? Or was it the year when against all odds, the little white box gained favor with the fickle hardcore crowd? Read on…GamingBolt

Q4 2010

And at this point, I officially give up.

Q4 2010 can be described using two words as far as the Wii is concerned. One word is Oh. The other is F**k.

Remember how I've been hinting at a 'storm' and 'Nintendo taking charge' all throughout this article? Well, this, buddies, is it- this is when **** hit the fan. This is when Nintendo unleashed the Wii in a bellow of fury at everyone around, bolstered by jaw dropping third party support, to prove, once and for all, that the Wii was relevant, that it was here to stay, and that the competition better watch out.

There are so many games to list out! Beginning with the adorable and fresh new take on a beloved character with Kirby's Epic Yarn, to the return of the undisputed king- I mean Kong- of gaming, with Retro Studios' finely crafted Donkey Kong Country Returns, to the re imaging of one of the most beloved games of all time in Goldeneye 007, to the triumphant return of Sega's mascot in Sonic Colors, the game that finally got Sonic in 3D right, to Warren Spector's finely made yet divisive epic, Epic Mickey, to Treyarch's Call of Duty: Black Ops, which for once represented a third party game not compromised on the Wii, to the surprisingly god party title Wii Party, to the sequel of the dance hit, Just Dance 2, to the return of a much loved SNES ****c in NBA Jam, to Nintendo's blast from the past with Super Mario All Stars, to the third hurrah of star music game series with Rock Band 3…

And even WiiWare got in on the fun. Whether we talk about Bit.Trip Fate, the last entry in the retro rhythm game series that truly was a fitting farewell to the beloved saga, or of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1, which was Sega's attempt at taking Sonic back to his roots, the downloadable service was in full form these three months.

I mean, what were they smoking? How can one console see so many worthwhile and un-missable releases in so short a time frame?

If this is where the Wii picks up from in 2011, then well, I'm gonna have to throw my cynic hat away. GamingBolt

There's a reason why so many people proclaim the Wii 'won' 2010- the console was a beastly juggernaut. Just look at that list of software. It's not even half of what the console had to offer. Many worthwhile releases had to be trimmed down from this piece, just because this article was running so long.

2010 is the year when Nintendo took charge- it's the year when they returned to their roots. Even as Microsoft and Sony began to chase after the fickle casual crowds with their own takes on motion control (with, I may add, varying degrees of success), Nintendo finally acknowledged the hardcore gamer, and gave him his due.

2010 was the year when the Wii's library swelled to epic proportions. At this point, anybody who buys a Wii really has no right or reason to complain- there are too many darn games to play on the system!

2010 was the year when third parties game appeared on the Wii, and they actually sold. It was the year when Nintendo ditched the motion control act, and went after the traditional way of gaming. It was the year when the WiiWare service finally came into its own. The year when Nintendo's sales, ironically, slowed down to such an extent that even company head honcho Iwata expressed concerns.

As always, it was a year riddled with contradictions. But, for the first time, it can also well and truly be said that this, this was the year of the Wii.GamingBolt

What do you guys think? Was 2010 truly the year of the Wii? DO you aree with the article?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Lol no. Hardcore gaming can kiss my butt, the Wii won nothing this year. However it got lots of ace games and I am having a ton of fun with my system which is all that I ask for. Monster Hunter 3, sin and Punishment 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Returns, Galaxy 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Bit Trip Runner, Bit Trip Fate and I'm catching up on stuff I missed. all in all an awesome year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Lol no. Hardcore gaming can kiss my butt, the Wii won nothing this year. However it got lots of ace games and I am having a ton of fun with my system which is all that I ask for. Monster Hunter 3, sin and Punishment 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Returns, Galaxy 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Bit Trip Runner, Bit Trip Fate and I'm catching up on stuff I missed. all in all an awesome year.

ActicEdge

But that's exactly what the article says. :|

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

charizard1605

I didn't read it. when an article uses the words "hardcore" and "won _______________ year" Its generally garbage and not worth reading.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I don't think it 'gained' the hardcore crowd this year (let alone 'regained"), but it has had a good year. Monster Hunter Tri was a heap of fun.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

The Wii kicked a lot of ass this year. Definitely my favorite platform of 2010. This whole hardcore vs. casual crap is getting very, very, very, VERY old though. Seriously, we are just gamers. I play games for fun. That's it. I don't know whats up with the obsession over trying to place games and gamers into these categories that really don't exist.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

wii still managed to sell more units then the previ ou s year lo l so ya it won

its got the games to prove it to

no other console can match that line up ,

people need to realise somthing and that somthing is this

microsoft has not released a single game out side halo reach fable 3 and crackdown 2 , , thats only 3 games in a 12 month period of time

nintendo released that same amount of games in less then 2 months time not including tcs list of games

-the list includes

sin and punishment 2

excite bike world rally-wii ware

and super mario galaxy 2

then in the later part of the year--- we had metroid other m

kirby

wii party

fling smash

donkey kong country returns

and kirbys epic yarn all from nintendo and the super mario all stars

whats sony got against it well they have only

gt5 mag and some other game, gow3

thats 3 3 and 9 for the year

not co unting 3rd party exclusives

if i did that , wed be in trouble here on the wii with our wallets,

cause goldeneye blackops sonic colours epic mickey no more heroes 2 rockband 3 just dance 2 even games like who wants to be a millionaire made a return -this ones awsome lol

face it when it comes to overall variety and fun wii is the co nsole

we dont play the same ol shoot this shoot that all the time ,

thus why wii is the fastest selling console right now

it has the variety it needs to succeed while you all look for whats under the hood , and cry about how not even 50 percent of the games tap in to that hood,

we are having fun

ps3 is proven to be used more as a movie machine

360 as a online machine-eh how long before they shut the servers down eh? somthing wii owners have not to worry becAUSE THEIR SINGLE PLAYER AND SPLIT SCREEN WILL ALWAYS BE THERE WHEN WE NEED IT

FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

I didn't read it. when an article uses the words "hardcore" and "won _______________ year" Its generally garbage and not worth reading.

Perhaps you should read the article next time.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

It's safe to say that the Wii shone unusually bright this year and I actually played it more than my PS3 this year. I thought that would never happen and the only game I would ever have was Wii Sports, luckily I decided to expand my library. And I guess the number of people around me actually using their system again also reconfirms my thoughts.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] ...

FatCatPatRat

Perhaps you should read the article next time.

I could but if what I said is exactly what the article says then is it necessary? Think about it.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

it was the wii's best year so far, but that isn't saying too much.

Zelda_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 Zelda_89
Member since 2009 • 410 Posts

A real surprise game for me was Enless Ocean 1 & 2, although theres no real point other that to swim around taking photos of animals I really enjoyed both. Other games I really enjoyed were Madworld (although they could have polished it a bit) Okami and Truama Centre New Blood. And yes I realise some of these games are old.

Nintendo was my first real love of gaming but it has been going downhill with endless awful kids games. Thats where the ps3 comes in for me games like Red Dead, Assasins Creed 1 & 2 and Uncharted 2 make up for that.

Don't get me wrong i LOVE nintendo but since I'm not a kid anymore ps3 just has so many fun adult games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

Nothing hardcore about the wii this year, last year or the year before that year.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ActicEdge

A real surprise game for me was Enless Ocean 1 & 2, although theres no real point other that to swim around taking photos of animals I really enjoyed both. Other games I really enjoyed were Madworld (although they could have polished it a bit) Okami and Truama Centre New Blood. And yes I realise some of these games are old.

Nintendo was my first real love of gaming but it has been going downhill with endless awful kids games. Thats where the ps3 comes in for me games like Red Dead, Assasins Creed 1 & 2 and Uncharted 2 make up for that.

Don't get me wrong i LOVE nintendo but since I'm not a kid anymore ps3 just has so many fun adult games.

Zelda_89

Adullt is not sysnoymous with games with mature themes. Games targeted towards adults are rarely ever stimulating enough to be considered actually "mature" and thought provoking. Food for thought. Also, your use of adult in as a descriptive word is disturbing.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sandbox3d

Zelda_89

If you are worried about things being "kiddie" then chances are you are still a child. When you get older you wont care about such petty nonsense.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sandbox3d

Nothing hardcore about the wii this year, last year or the year before that year.

Robbazking

Nothing hardcore about gaming in general.....ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Robbazking
Considering that there isn't any such thing as hardcore, there is no way that there can be anything hardcore about the Wii's, PS3's, Xbox 360's, DS's or PSP's 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010. So yes, you're absolutely right.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

[QUOTE="Zelda_89"]

sandbox3d

If you are worried about things being "kiddie" then chances are you are still a child. When you get older you wont care about such petty nonsense.

These dumb comments are starting to get old.:roll: We get it only real adults play little fluffy yarn balls and tie wearing apes running around. No matter how much you keep denying it the wii is primarily targeted to the younger crowd. Yes adults (including me) can enjoy them too but how is RDR, Assasins Creed and Uncharted less mature than mario?

HailCaesarHail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HailCaesarHail
Member since 2010 • 814 Posts
wii had an ok year, but its just not a hardcore system no matter how anyone tries to spin it.
Zelda_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zelda_89

[QUOTE="Zelda_89"]

sandbox3d

I didn't say I was worried about being 'kiddie' there are just a heap of games like Harry Potter, the dog island and my sims that are just plain bad

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

And ironically, Wii sales stared to decline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

And ironically, Wii sales stared to decline

BPoole96
Yes, the article says that too :P
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Zelda_89"]

Jolt_counter119

These dumb comments are starting to get old.:roll: We get it only real adults play little fluffy yarn balls and tie wearing apes running around. No matter how much you keep denying it the wii is primarily targeted to the younger crowd. Yes adults (including me) can enjoy them too but how is RDR, Assasins Creed and Uncharted less mature than mario?

Actually its not that at all. Its that maturity is knowing what you like and not feeling the need to insult, belittle or label things in an attempt to boost your own perceived level of maturity. Calling nintendo games kiddie and saying your sick of kiddie thing is not a sign of maturity and frankly its not the sign of being an adult. Adult is not a term used to describe games, the mature themse and setting people think you find in games are some of the poorest most immature and illogical ideas of mature, adult and stimulating I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

I also haven't played RDR but there is absolutely nothing mature about Uncharted and barely anything worth noting in Assassin's Creed. Being more "mature" than mario isn't impressive, they still reek of silliness and stupidity.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Zelda_89"]

Jolt_counter119

I wouldnt call them any less mature than Mario. Hell, I never said anything was mature about Mario to begin with. :?

Then again, there is not anything particularly mature about the games you mentioned.

I just enjoy good gameplay man. I dont care what type of visual presentation it happens to be wrapped up in. So you just keep rolling them eyes away and hunting for the next "mature" gaming experience. I'll just keep enjoying games for what they are. Cool?

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Zelda_89"]

Zelda_89

I didn't say I was worried about being 'kiddie' there are just a heap of games like Harry Potter, the dog island and my sims that are just plain bad

Hey, understandable. Bad games are bad. If you dont enjoy em dont play em obviously. That just wasnt the impression I got from your initial post.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I actually bought more games for Wii this year than any other platform :o

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sandbox3d

I actually bought more games for Wii this year than any other platform :o

NaveedLife

Same, which took me by surprise. I've enjoyed the Wii on and off since launch, but mostly looked at it as a secondary console. This year it was my primary w/out question. Been a great year for Wii owners and a killer year for platformer fans.

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jolt_counter119

Actually its not that at all. Its that maturity is knowing what you like and not feeling the need to insult, belittle or label things in an attempt to boost your own perceived level of maturity. Calling nintendo games kiddie and saying your sick of kiddie thing is not a sign of maturity and frankly its not the sign of being an adult. Adult is not a term used to describe games, the mature themse and setting people think you find in games are some of the poorest most immature and illogical ideas of mature, adult and stimulating I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

I also haven't played RDR but there is absolutely nothing mature about Uncharted and barely anything worth noting in Assassin's Creed. Being more "mature" than mario isn't impressive, they still reek of silliness and stupidity.

ActicEdge

I understand what your trying to say but those games I listed do have Adult content such as cursing, killings, and sexual themes etc. which the wii basically has zero of. So whether you hate the wording or not the HD systems games are more adult oriented whether kids play them or not which what people are trying to say. Yes playing violent realistic games doesnt make you yourself mature but the games themselves are directed to older people hence the rating MATURE, so the older audience are generally going to get a little tired of the wii because they dont release many games directed to older people, mainly games for younger children that even adults can enjoy where the other systems release games that have the older audience in mind.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Jolt_counter119

I understand what your trying to say but those games I listed do have Adult content such as cursing, killings, and sexual themes etc. which the wii basically has zero of. So whether you hate the wording or not the HD systems games are more adult oriented whether kids play them or not which what people are trying to say. Yes playing violent realistic games doesnt make you yourself mature but the games themselves are directed to older people hence the rating MATURE, so the older audience are generally going to get a little tired of the wii because they dont release many games directed to older people, mainly games for younger children that even adults can enjoy where the other systems release games that have the older audience in mind.

So does scary movie which isn't at all mature. Mature themes and a mature production aren't the same thing or at the very least I don't view them as the same thing. The wording is stupid, that's why I dislike it. If you want to say the Wii contains less mature themed games just say that. There is nothing Adult about Uncharted however, that's just ridiculous. A rating of mature also doesn't equate to thought provoking material a child couldn't grasp. I fully agree the Wii is not targeted at SW, its targeted at people who aren't so hardcore serious about their games and who don'tthink sohighly of their gaming taste. That however is not means for using adult and mature as a barrier to the fact that 99% of games are stupid mindless inmature pieces. So what? Its no big deal but yo're not an adult or any more mature or liking of mature content for picking Gear or Uncharted over Mario or Donkey Kong, that's laughable in the utmost regard.

Zelda_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zelda_89

It's a comment and my opinion, I'm not flaming you because yours is different

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ActicEdge

It's a comment and my opinion, I'm not flaming you because yours is different

Zelda_89

We come to a forum to debate. Don't take it personal, I'm debating a point, you're free to think what I'm saying is stupid :P

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#33 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

It didn't regain anything. There were plenty of titles to choose from in 2009, this year was no exception, it just put forth more games that we wanted.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I understand what your trying to say but those games I listed do have Adult content such as cursing, killings, and sexual themes etc. which the wii basically has zero of. Jolt_counter119
Assuming that I accept your definition of adult themes (I don't, but let's say I do)- I would like to point your attention to the following: House of the Dead: Overkill, holder of world record for most profanities in any video game (and this when the game is barely five hours long!) Manhunt 2 and MadWorld, two ultra stylized violent games that not only got outright banned in many major markets, but also generated a lot of controversy along the way. Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, all of which are violent and gruesome. No More Heroes and No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, both of which feature heavy sexual themes. Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Duty Black Ops, Goldeneye 007, all of which are shooters to give you your killing fix, all available on the Wii. The fact is, all of those, except for the games mentioned in the last bullet point, are Wii exclusives. The Wi has plenty of your 'adult themes-' it's just that public perception doesnt acknowledge them.
thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thomasward00
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

I purchased a Red Wii for a family christmas gift, both my wife and myself are in our late 30's and our kids are aged 15 and two 17 year olds. Over the last two days we haven't stopped playing Wii Sports, not to mention that SMBW is an amazing game, awesome attention to detail, it also makes me feel like i'm 12 years old again.

Most Adults, especially those of us over 30 aren't worried about "Mature" games, we are worried about "Fun" games and the Wii certainly has the best "Fun" games.

BTW nearly all console games aren't all that "Mature" No amount of cursing and or blood, the storylines and content are still aimed at teenagers.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
oh boy...another great topic going to be ruined by the "casual / hardcore" debate. Anyways, yes the Wii had its strongest year thus far in quality games. And actually the 3rd party support on the wii has gone up in comparison since the Gamecube, and I find 3rd party games overall to be stronger on the Wii than the Gamecube, not to mention I will also throw that Nintendo has overall the best quality titles put on the Wii than any other platoform (but still missing that Zelda game :x:P )
TheKI04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheKI04
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

I totally agree, Wii won in terms of exclusive quality titles and yes it's funny that the sales went down at the same time.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Robbazking

According to whom? What's your definition of "hardcore"? You always make insulting comments about the system but never say why you think that, and never respond to anyone who challenges your statements. Why is that? Do you post just to annoy other posters, or do you ever care to have any real discussions?

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jolt_counter119

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

So does scary movie which isn't at all mature. Mature themes and a mature production aren't the same thing or at the very least I don't view them as the same thing. The wording is stupid, that's why I dislike it. If you want to say the Wii contains less mature themed games just say that. There is nothing Adult about Uncharted however, that's just ridiculous. A rating of mature also doesn't equate to thought provoking material a child couldn't grasp. I fully agree the Wii is not targeted at SW, its targeted at people who aren't so hardcore serious about their games and who don'tthink sohighly of their gaming taste. That however is not means for using adult and mature as a barrier to the fact that 99% of games are stupid mindless inmature pieces. So what? Its no big deal but yo're not an adult or any more mature or liking of mature content for picking Gear or Uncharted over Mario or Donkey Kong, that's laughable in the utmost regard.

Again I know what your saying, I know there is nothing adult or mature about video games and that playing an M game doesnt make you any more mature but those adult themes that I mentioned before add something, it makes it a different experience that people enjoy. Sometimes you just want to jump off a ledge and stab someone in the neck, or pull out your shot gun and blast a couple of goons, and even watch Kratos ripping a gods head off, these are the experiences that people, not just casuals but long time gamers like me and many others on system wars want to enjoy and it is something the the wii majorly lacks in and is why people generally say the wii is too kiddie. Not because they feel all they want is blood and guts but heck maybe every once in a while that would be nice.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

ActicEdge

I would concur. All three consoles are as far from "hardcore" as one can get.

Zelda_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zelda_89

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]I understand what your trying to say but those games I listed do have Adult content such as cursing, killings, and sexual themes etc. which the wii basically has zero of. charizard1605
Assuming that I accept your definition of adult themes (I don't, but let's say I do)- I would like to point your attention to the following: House of the Dead: Overkill, holder of world record for most profanities in any video game (and this when the game is barely five hours long!) Manhunt 2 and MadWorld, two ultra stylized violent games that not only got outright banned in many major markets, but also generated a lot of controversy along the way. Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, all of which are violent and gruesome. No More Heroes and No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, both of which feature heavy sexual themes. Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Duty Black Ops, Goldeneye 007, all of which are shooters to give you your killing fix, all available on the Wii. The fact is, all of those, except for the games mentioned in the last bullet point, are Wii exclusives. The Wi has plenty of your 'adult themes-' it's just that public perception doesnt acknowledge them.

I have the majority of those games... Look I'm not saying the wii is any less mature than ps3. It's just I've had alot more fun with the ps3 this year

RES4and HOTD overkillwere amazing btw, I just loved the story to Assassins Creed 2running around Rome as an assassin and I never once got bored with Uncharted 2. I enjoyed the conduit on wii too

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

I have the majority of those games... Look I'm not saying the wii is any less mature than ps3. It's just I've had alot more fun with the ps3 this year

RES4and HOTD overkillwere amazing btw, I just loved the story to Assassins Creed 2running around Rome as an assassin and I never once got bored with Uncharted 2. I enjoyed the conduit on wii too

Zelda_89

Of course... that's totally your opinion and your choice, man, I can absolutely understand you enjoying (or not enjoying) certain games, and some more than others... and so, even if you don't like Nintendo games, that's okay, and that doesn't require any justification at all.

My bone of contention isnt with anyone who enjoys the PS3 or the Xbox more- it's with people who make blanket statements about the Wii and/or its games and gamers, which are not just degrading and insulting, but also flat out wrong.

To state, for example, that the Wii has no 'mature' (as defined by SW) games is wrong, and that is what I argued against. However, you liking AssCreed is absolutely fine (AssCreed II is my third favourite game this gen, btw :D), and you don't need to justify that. At least, not to me :P

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Jolt_counter119

Again I know what your saying, I know there is nothing adult or mature about video games and that playing an M game doesnt make you any more mature but those adult themes that I mentioned before add something, it makes it a different experience that people enjoy. Sometimes you just want to jump off a ledge and stab someone in the neck, or pull out your shot gun and blast a couple of goons, and even watch Kratos ripping a gods head off, these are the experiences that people, not just casuals but long time gamers like me and many others on system wars want to enjoy and it is something the the wii majorly lacks in and is why people generally say the wii is too kiddie. Not because they feel all they want is blood and guts but heck maybe every once in a while that would be nice.

I agree, just don't ascociate that with the words adult or mature content because they aren't. That was my original problem. People's tastes are none of my business, you guys can enjoy whatever the heck it is you enjoy :)

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

The Wii never had any hardcore fans to regain in the first place.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

ArchonOver

Are you talking about dudebros gamers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="ArchonOver"]

93BlackHawk93

Are you talking about dudebros gamers?

Even if he is, an entire generation that grew up playing Goldeneye 007 would like to have a word with him :lol:
thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thomasward00

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Jolt_counter119

Only kids and the immature say that the Wii is "Kiddie" Games are for "Fun" and escapism
thomasward00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thomasward00

One thing is for sure this generation, Nintendo has taken Sony and Microsoft to school..

Lesson learned for Sony, they will never release another 500 dollar console or one higher than the competition.

Lesson learned for Microsoft, they will never release a shoddy gaming console again, many people decided against the 360 based on all of the history and still ongoing hardware reliability issues, they will spend more on R&D this time.

Lesson learned by both Sony and Microsoft, a gaming console cannot expect to come out on top with 3rd party software alone. Nintendo showed the gaming world that Innovation, Quality 1st party games and Quality modestly priced hardware will still win the day.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
It was my favourite year for the Wii by far. Definitely the year I bought the most amount of Wii titles.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
Yeah Wii definitely won me over this year...but the past two years were so god awful that I feel like they should have been doing this all along or heck even half as well as they did this year. But oh well I'm having a ton of fun with my Wii again... Thought I think that this will influence the focus of the 3rd and their next console.. I thi nintendo realizes they really can't afford to go full casual like they did in 08-09 or else they will loose just so much of their audience and they cant afford to just throw their fans a bone every now and then they really gotta hammer in the titles all year