How much do YOU care about Backwards Compatability next gen?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

How much do you personally care about Backwards Compatability? Does anybody really care that much?

To be honest, most of my CURRENT gen games I dont even play anymore besides the ones with replay value like Halo, CoD, etc... If its a single player game, chances are once I beat it, it leaves my disk tray and goes back in the box never to be touched again for months (if ever). Ive already traded in every game I own on PS3 except for Uncharted 3 and Bad Company 2, and of the few 360 games I own, the only one that gets play time is Reach. I tend to treat my videogames like dirty little whores. I get what I want out of them, then onto the next one.

Same thing with last gen. I had PS2 and Gamecube, and I traded all my games in long before I switched to current gen. The only old games I still own are my PSone games, and that is because Gamestop stopped accepting PS1 games by the time I wanted to trade them in. And even then, Ive barely ever played them on my PS3 anyways. I played MGS1 ONCE just for the hell of it, but for the most part I find Backwards Compatability to be a novelty, nothing more. I buy consoles

Over the holidays, I bought Gears of War, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, and Saints Row 3. These games have sat on my floor and I have no desire to take them out of the box. The only game I touch is Halo Reach, and occasionally Uncharted 3/Bad Company 2. (I might get Modern Warfare 3 solely for replay value). Ive gon months/weeks at a time without even powering on either of my consoles. if im not even playing my CURRENT gen games, whould I REALLY care about them like that NEXT gen?

Couple this with the fact that next gen consoles will likely have pretty much every relevant game ported to PSN/XBL, would you care if next gen consoles dont have Backwards Compatability?

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
Luckily this gen i have all the systems so its not a problem, the only time i care is if i didn't have the particular brand and want to play their old games.
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
I don't really care. I still have my original Xbox and my Xbox 360. So it doesn't matter whether the next Xbox has it or not. If it does great, but I generally play the games on the systems they were intended for (re-releases excluded). Also, once I complete a game 100% I tend not to mess with it much again unless it is a multiplayer title. So no biggie either way.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I currently have 57 PS3 games, and another 5 downloaded PSN titles, my PS3 is almost 5 years old, and its only suppose to last another 5 years, maybe 6 or 7 if im lucky.

Yes, its important to me, im going to have 1000 bucks worth of games that i cant play.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
a lot, systems take up space and I'm already low on it
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

I don't really care. I still have my original Xbox and my Xbox 360. So it doesn't matter whether the next Xbox has it or not. If it does great, but I generally play the games on the systems they were intended for (re-releases excluded).FPSDad1161
I guess inconvenience doesn't bother Gears of War fans. Testament to their intelligence?

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i wanted to really catch up and play a ton of ps3 and xbox 360 games that i never got around to playing (in addition to playing all my tony hawk games on the ps4), but it seems like that'll never happen
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrongDeadlift

I currently have 57 PS3 games, and another 5 downloaded PSN titles, my PS3 is almost 5 years old, and its only suppose to last another 5 years, maybe 6 or 7 if im lucky.

Yes, its important to me, im going to have 1000 bucks worth of games that i cant play.

crimsonman1245
Im not bashing your opinion or anything, but seriously, how many of those games do you REALLY play like that? Im willing to bet at least 40 of those games are either sitting in a box, bookshelf, or the floor, and havent left the package in over 3 months. 20 of them prolly havent left the package in 6 months. I could be wrong but....
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I won't buy a next-gen console if there is no backwards compatability. I don't have infinite room and patience to bust out old consoles every time I want to play an older title. Better yet - why set myself up to be ripped off? I'm still playing games from 1998 on my PC. I'm sure this won't effect most casuals because they have a "play it and forget" mentality anyways.
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FPSDad1161

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]I don't really care. I still have my original Xbox and my Xbox 360. So it doesn't matter whether the next Xbox has it or not. If it does great, but I generally play the games on the systems they were intended for (re-releases excluded).Mcspanky37

I guess inconvenience doesn't bother Gears of War fans. Testament to their intelligence?

I don't see how my liking the Gears of War franchise affects my intelligence. I did just fine without backwards compatibility ever since I started gaming (I'll be 27 next month, so I've been at this for a while). I didn't care when I couldn't play NES games on the SNES, or Genesis games on the Dreamcast. I don't see what is inconvient about it. I keep my systems that I enjoy, so I can always play the games for them. In fact up until the PS2, the only consoles I can think of offhand that had bc were the Atari 7200 I think it was, and the Genesis with a adaptor that let it play SMS games. So it's not a big loss if it doesn't happen.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts
All PS3 games I got here are QUALITY, especially exclusives, and I love playing them so yes, I do care about backwards compatibility on PS4.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"]I don't really care. I still have my original Xbox and my Xbox 360. So it doesn't matter whether the next Xbox has it or not. If it does great, but I generally play the games on the systems they were intended for (re-releases excluded).FPSDad1161

I don't see how my liking the Gears of War franchise affects my intelligence. I did just fine without backwards compatibility ever since I started gaming (I'll be 27 next month, so I've been at this for a while). I didn't care when I couldn't play NES games on the SNES, or Genesis games on the Dreamcast. I don't see what is inconvient about it. I keep my systems that I enjoy, so I can always play the games for them. In fact up until the PS2, the only consoles I can think of offhand that had bc were the Atari 7200 I think it was, and the Genesis with a adaptor that let it play SMS games. So it's not a big loss if it doesn't happen.

You probably don't have much in your entertainment center - I don't have room to keep busting out old consoles (even with a receiver that has tons of plugins). Do you have a huge giant ass gaming room with room for all these old consoles? F*ck, I don't. I don't have the patience to unhook a new console, move it out, move in the old console, and all that jazz just to play one of my older favorite games.

Unless you truly don't even care what your room looks like and you just have a bunch of consoles and cables laying around.

Wouldn't really surprise me if that's the case - but we're not all 14 year olds who has the space to keep all their old gaming consoles sitting in their room.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

BC is always a plus.

I can store away my other consoles.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have a LOT of games, A LOT (my sig gives just an idea, not even counting all my PSN, XBLA, Wii, WiiWare, Handhelds, PC, etc)...but to be honest, I wouldn't use BC.

The saves would probably be a b%%ch to transfer, and I don't like the idea of wearing out my new machine on old games.

I like knowing I have it though for that first year.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Where's the poll option for I don't care about BC and will hold onto my current gen systems?

Games are always best experienced on their native platforms, not through emulation.

Plus, adding backwards compatibility adds cost to a console, making it more expensive. I would much rather them forgo backwards compatibility altogether, and put those resources towards making a more powerful console.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

It's a must have for me to buy any of them. I'm not going to have 5 or 6 consoles laying around.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FPSDad1161

[QUOTE="FPSDad1161"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] I guess inconvenience doesn't bother Gears of War fans. Testament to their intelligence?

KHAndAnime

You probably don't have much in your entertainment center - I don't have room to keep busting out old consoles (even with a receiver that has tons of plugins). Do you have a huge giant ass gaming room with room for all these old consoles? F*ck, I don't. I don't have the patience to unhook a new console, move it out, move in the old console, and all that jazz just to play one of my older favorite games.

Unless you truly don't even care what your room looks like and you just have a bunch of consoles and cables laying around.

Wouldn't really surprise me if that's the case - but we're not all 14 year olds who has the space to keep all their old gaming consoles sitting in their room.

I have my 360 and my Xbox in my entertainment center. A bluray player and surround sound system coming soon. I had a PS3 (sold it), and a Wii there as well. Wii is now in the bedroom for me and my fiance to watch netflix in there. I plan on purchasing all the consoles I want in my sig. I will make room for them. If you don't want to thats on you. If you're really going to let lack of bc stop you from purchasing a new console, than that is you're choice, and I don't condem you for it. You're loss possibly (as we don't know anything about next gen consoles yet, they could suck for all we know). I do care what my room looks like and eveything is very neatly organized (fiance would kill me if it wasn't). Nice attacks though. Good old SW. I'm actually 26 (will be 27 next month), and I have three kids and am engaged to be marred in June.
theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts

its important for me for my 360 ive played through a bunchof xbox games, e.g. max payne, splinter cell, KOTOR, PES5, Rainbow 6....

i guess if the next console doesnt do BC ill just finish all the games on my 360 and then move over after... its certainly a good addition though, and is it that difficult to put in?

i always sell my previous console when i buy the new one.... id like to go back and play my favourite games... Mass Effect! i think its the only game single player game ive kept

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It'd be nice, but I don't ever get rid of my consoles.

And pretty much all of the games from this gen suck anyway, so there's not much point replaying them.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I do care about BC. But it's a factor, not what I base my entire decision on. Let's say this; if Vita was 100% BC with physical retail PSP games, I would have bought it by now. PS3 BC would also help in my decision to purchase a PS4 (I won't be buying Xbox 720 because of LIVE fees).
TheOldOlder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheOldOlder
Member since 2009 • 1212 Posts

I have a LOT of games, A LOT (my sig gives just an idea, not even counting all my PSN, XBLA, Wii, WiiWare, Handhelds, PC, etc)...but to be honest, I wouldn't use BC.

The saves would probably be a b%%ch to transfer, and I don't like the idea of wearing out my new machine on old games.

I like knowing I have it though for that first year.

SolidTy

Same here, i like going back to my old games from time to time during the first year or so, but later on its a feature i just don use anymore.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Alot... I don't want to have to reset up my systems everytime I want to play an older game.

Also if new gen consoles are expensive it better have this feature

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
Consoles take up space, so a lot. But if BC doesn't happen then I'll adapt.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkLink77
Consoles take up space, so a lot. But if BC doesn't happen then I'll adapt.FireSpirit117
Those of us who are members of the PC gaming master race don't have that issue. Why don't you jump on board for the big win, son?
gta50419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gta50419
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts

On a scale from 1-10? 2

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
To me it's important that at least the multiplayers servers for this gens games and their dlc remain for a long time. People had more reason this gen to invest more in their games, it's be a slap in the face if we lost it all. I would litterally quit gaming if what happened to the xbox live service on the original xbox happened to the 360. I doubt it will, or it will any time in the next several years.
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

I care quite a bit. Although most of my previous gen games were on PC, which is always back compatible. :) I like to revisit Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dales series every 2 years or so it seems. Diablos and WoW games get played quite a bit. Still I still like to play Halo:CE and Halo 2 on the 360 every on and then, I've also caught myself replaying KotOR 1 and 2 and Jade Empire again this gen. I played Morrowind quite a bit as well.

TheOldOlder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheOldOlder
Member since 2009 • 1212 Posts
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Consoles take up space, so a lot. But if BC doesn't happen then I'll adapt.DarkLink77
Those of us who are members of the PC gaming master race don't have that issue. Why don't you jump on board for the big win, son?

Maybe because he isn't a fan of PC Games like Duke Nukem and Half Life and prefers the real deal like Killzone 2/3 and Halo Reach, put those discs on your PC and try to run them with16x AA, high res and 60fps but they wont work, such a waste of "superior gaming hardware" completely incapable of playing games that are actually relevant, i'm afraid.
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireSpirit117
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Consoles take up space, so a lot. But if BC doesn't happen then I'll adapt.DarkLink77

Oh I'm getting there. Don't you worry. ;)
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireSpirit117
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Consoles take up space, so a lot. But if BC doesn't happen then I'll adapt.TheOldOlder

Maybe because he isn't a fan of PC Games like Duke Nukem and Half Life and prefers the real deal like Killzone 2/3 and Halo Reach, put those discs on your PC and try to run them with16x AA, high res and 60fps but they wont work, such a waste of "superior gaming hardware" completely incapable of playing games that are actually relevant, i'm afraid.

Link's got a point. All the games you mentioned are baby stuff compared to real PC FPS (the system that made and perfected them). As for the consoles themselves, *pft* why should I bother with the wannabe supercomputers when I got an actual supercomputer that I built with my bare hands? ;)
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I care so much that I have a PS2... In other words, i don't care.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"][QUOTE="TheOldOlder"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Those of us who are members of the PC gaming master race don't have that issue. Why don't you jump on board for the big win, son?

Link's got a point. All the games you mentioned are baby stuff compared to real PC FPS (the system that made and perfected them). As for the consoles themselves, *pft* why should I bother with the wannabe supercomputers when I got be playing on an actual supercomputer that I built with my bare hands? ;)

This level 3 dude is pretty smart. I like him already. ;) But I must give out TC credit where credit is due. After all, when you're right, you're right: Halo is much better than Half-Life.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

very important

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
I never get rid of a console so it's never an issue for me personaly.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
No console for me next gen. Sticking with PC.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I'm more concerned for BC with digital downloads I hope to god the next xbox is bc with all my xbla games.

MotionNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MotionNight
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"][QUOTE="TheOldOlder"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Those of us who are members of the PC gaming master race don't have that issue. Why don't you jump on board for the big win, son?

Link's got a point. All the games you mentioned are baby stuff compared to real PC FPS (the system that made and perfected them). As for the consoles themselves, *pft* why should I bother with the wannabe supercomputers when I got an actual supercomputer that I built with my bare hands? ;)

You made the plastic and everything? Or you mean you just bought stuff, then set it up?
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StrongDeadlift

I'm more concerned for BC with digital downloads I hope to god the next xbox is bc with all my xbla games.

WilliamRLBaker

This. I have alot of downloads on PSN (none on 360 because I only have a 4 gig). To be honest, im kind of glad about the "no used games" policy, because that means we could finally have full game installs on PS4 (a feature that was desperately needed this gen). if games are paired to PSN accounts, that means we can buy games from the store, and fully install them to the console without needing the disk. They could also do like Microsoft does, and allow you to transfer the license of the game to another console if you want to play at a friends, etc.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

Backwards compatible. :lol:

They call it: PC

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

Is it too much to ask for BC? I don't want five iterations of your console, if there are working emulators on the computer cobbled together by enthusiasts of your console, you can put something on your system.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#42 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

For me it's not a big deal since I have all current gen consoles, but if I wanted that opition I should be allowed to have it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i dont even want them, so yes i won't buy if it they dont have backwards compatability... however if they do have backwards compatability then the systems will not be much faster at all, reason being is because it's not going to be possible to emulate them at reasonable speeds for the next gen systems, the ps3 and 360 are simply too fast. xbox is like a 733 mhz p3, and the 360 has 3x3.2ghz cores, we haven't gotten way way quicker since then. So if they do have backwards compatabiltiy they will most likely be very similar to their predecessors.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

It matters some to me. I'm a big Nintendo fan, though I recently got an Xbox 360 to accompany my well-loved Wii. If I thought about getting a PS4, backwards compatibility would matter to me a lot, because if it were backwards compatible I could play a bunch of PS3 exclusives I missed out on.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Don't care about backward comcom ... Orbis.. bring it on
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireSpirit117
[QUOTE="MotionNight"] You made the plastic and everything? Or you mean you just bought stuff, then set it up?

It's my secret.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I don't game on consoles, but I think it's incredibly important. With consoles hardware (and thus the games) are pretty much being made obsolete so I think it's important to allow people to still use older products when the company/technology has decided to move on. And, as a side note, it also shows customers a little love because they won't have to plug in their old systems and keep messy wires all over the place.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
as much as i care about it this gen.. (not at all) I buy new gen consoles to play new gen games... if i wanted to play old gen games i would play it on my old system.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'd like to see both consoles have BC, but I can almost guarantee that the PS4 won't.

Not so important for the PS4 to have PS3 BC anyway. Sony will probably still be selling PS3s until 2020, so if my current one dies I can just go buy another one.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Not really a factor for me. I won't be throwing away my old consoles just because a new one comes out. Plus, most of the last gen games I play are HD remakes that are built for current gen systems.