How many of you interested in steambox?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
Nah, i'd rather build my own PC, but I am always curious about new technology.
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

0 interest. I have a desktop PC and a PC port on my television. senses_fail_06

pretty much this... for me.

Altho it will be handy for people with out gaming pc's to get steam sales...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] And what if it gets weak eventually? PC hardware will continue to evolve while STEAMBOX will stay old like consoles.skrat_01
It depends on the model. Many steam box units will use off-the-shelf parts, which means you can upgrade them just like a regular PC.

Pretty much. At CES all the rage was these micro PCs having modular hardware, so you can quite literally take out parts and swap them over; like a PCI board or those old Pentium 3 CPU heatsink things that plugged into the motherboard like a RAM module. Big difference is the formfactor, it's crazy stuff.

Exactly this, even with teh Storm Scout with a handle on it, its still not worth it moving to a friends house or other such things.. That is why I own a laptop as well.. And will probably get the steambox down the road..

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Considering VALVe already said that STEAMBOX is not closed unlike consoles and uses Linux as an OS (While Windows CAN be installed on it), It is almost impossible to make an Exclusive for it, It basically is a PC, A Laptop actually, There is no way any game would turn out to be STEAMBOX Exclusive, Unless...........VALVE makes a special OS for it and then starts to make exclusives for it.
No interest in this whatsoever, I'm not saying this is bad, But i feel as if this is targeted at Console Players.

PC Fidelity + Cheap Price + Console's Experience = STEAMBOX.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Zero, Zip, Zelch! Not a chance in Hell I'd ever be interested in that dumb idea.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Considering VALVe already said that STEAMBOX is not closed unlike consoles and uses Linux as an OS (While Windows CAN be installed on it), It is almost impossible to make an Exclusive for it, It basically is a PC, A Laptop actually, There is no way any game would turn out to be STEAMBOX Exclusive, Unless...........VALVE makes a special OS for it and then starts to make exclusives for it.
No interest in this whatsoever, I'm not saying this is bad, But i feel as if this is targeted at Console Players.

faizan_faizan

That is the main reason I'm interested in the Steambox my Steam games aren't stable on my laptop and I don't really want to build a PC (I was thinking of it but they announced the Steambox) and I'm usually a Console gamer but I do want to finish my Steam games I purchased; I also want to them to be stable with good graphics and stable framerate.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

That is the main reason I'm interested in the Steambox my Steam games aren't stable on my laptop and I don't really want to build a PC (I was thinking of it but they announced the Steambox) and I'm usually a Console gamer but I do want to finish my Steam games I purchased; I also want to them to be stable with good graphics and stable framerate.

That is exactly what i wanted to say, Some people can't build PCs so their going to get STEAMBOX and those some people are Console Players.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Steambox is gonna flop so hard. Damn. Might destroy Valve. :(

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Not saying yes or no til I know more ....
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Don't know much about it.

For now though I'll go with a not interested.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9906 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

This is why I believe the Steambox will flop. All Valves/Steams fans are PC gamers. PC gamers don't want to buy a device that is basically just a weak PC. Console gamers don't really know, or care about Steam in general. I don't get what market Gabe is aiming at.

sSubZerOo

Wrong if it provides the flexiability of the pc in supporting things like mods.. WHILE being portable, affordable and easy access, I sure as hell will get one as a secondary machine.

How can "affordable" be an argument for a secondary machine :? ? I play a bunch on my TV using my desktop and it's very easy access. With Steam big picture mode it's basically allready like a console. Portable I suppose is true, but isn't a laptop/iPad better than? I mean something with a screen, keyboard etc. I fail to see why most PC gamers would want one, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Sushiglutton

faizan_faizan

Yeah I also get the feeling it is targeted for the console market. But console gamers have not heard of/care about Steam. And like you say the machine will likely have no exclusives. If it's cheaper than a console it will be weaker than a console, which is not good. Meh I smell a flop. Would be interesting to hear Gabe's reasoning behind this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

This is why I believe the Steambox will flop. All Valves/Steams fans are PC gamers. PC gamers don't want to buy a device that is basically just a weak PC. Console gamers don't really know, or care about Steam in general. I don't get what market Gabe is aiming at.

Sushiglutton

Wrong if it provides the flexiability of the pc in supporting things like mods.. WHILE being portable, affordable and easy access, I sure as hell will get one as a secondary machine.

How can "affordable" be an argument for a secondary machine :? ? I play a bunch on my TV using my desktop and it's very easy access.

Yet again YOUR PERSONAL experience does not match EVERYONES experience.. Many people do nto have their tv's in the same room, and would prefer not having to log their tower to the tv every so often..

With Steam big picture mode it's basically allready like a console. Portable I suppose is true, but isn't a laptop/iPad better than?

No not if the Steambox is under $500 and able to play said games.. Most gaming laptops your going to be lucky to get one at $950.. Even the ones that aren't bad midrange still go for $600..

I mean something with a screen, keyboard etc. I fail to see why most PC gamers would want one, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Finally its a secondary machine for some one to play on if a friend comes over and you can play together on lan.. Hell with it being console based we may see a re-emergence of split screens..

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

No interest whatsoever.

If I buy a console next gen it'll prolly be a PS4 or 720.

Otherwise it's just me and my trusty computer.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

No interest. My PC is actually as close to my monitor as is it to my TV. If I wanted the "living room" experience, I can already get that with Steam. But I have a console hooked up to my TV anyway, no need to duplicate Steam onto another TV.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

How can "affordable" be an argument for a secondary machine :? ? I play a bunch on my TV using my desktop and it's very easy access.

Yet again YOUR PERSONAL experience does not match EVERYONES experience.. Many people do nto have their tv's in the same room, and would prefer not having to log their tower to the tv every so often..

With Steam big picture mode it's basically allready like a console. Portable I suppose is true, but isn't a laptop/iPad better than?

No not if the Steambox is under $500 and able to play said games.. Most gaming laptops your going to be lucky to get one at $950.. Even the ones that aren't bad midrange still go for $600..

I mean something with a screen, keyboard etc. I fail to see why most PC gamers would want one, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Finally its a secondary machine for some one to play on if a friend comes over and you can play together on lan.. Hell with it being console based we may see a re-emergence of split screens..

I understand that people have dfifferent setups from me. I still think it's a very small subset of PC gamers who will be interested in a PC/console mashup. I mean just read what people are saying in this thread. A laptop has a lot more funtionality as it works on its own without any extra peripherals.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Im just confused as to who the target audience is. Casuals and console gamers wouldnt want this because well...we would just much rather buy a console where i dont have to worry about OS or which game will run on it. Hardcore PC gamers wont buy it cause they would just rather build their own PC for arguably a lower price and get better results. So who is this targeted towards? Im just not sure who this is supposed to attract? the hardcore consolites are well...hardcore consolites and thus are happy with their big 3. The casuals dont have time to be dealing with all this 3 model crap and installing you own windows and having to deal with linux...they would just rather just buy a console that they know will run their games or just waste money on an alienware computer that has the OS installed and everything. The hardcore PC gamers are well...hardcore PC gamers and thus will just make their own PC. The one saving grace for the Steambox is all the diehard Valve fanboys who would buy 100 copies of Big Rigs if Valve had been the publisher.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Im just confused as to who the target audience is. Casuals and console gamers wouldnt want this because well...we would just much rather buy a console where i dont have to worry about OS or which game will run on it. Hardcore PC gamers wont buy it cause they would just rather build their own PC for arguably a lower price and get better results. So who is this targeted towards? Im just not sure who this is supposed to attract? the hardcore consolites are well...hardcore consolites and thus are happy with their big 3. The casuals dont have time to be dealing with all this 3 model crap and installing you own windows and having to deal with linux...they would just rather just buy a console that they know will run their games or just waste money on an alienware computer that has the OS installed and everything. The hardcore PC gamers are well...hardcore PC gamers and thus will just make their own PC. The one saving grace for the Steambox is all the diehard Valve fanboys who would buy 100 copies of Big Rigs if Valve had been the publisher.II_Seraphim_II

My bet is its targeted towards the consumer who has heard of Steam, but doesn't want the hassle of getting a reliably powerful computer. Also like you said, Valve fanboys.

Its mostly a jump off point for consumers that are almost ready to get a good PC or have heard of the nice things about it, but don't want anything to do with all the mechanics. Not to mention playing on your screen is a whole lot more intriguing to some than going off a computer screen, Steam's TV picture thing aside.