How is that 360 owners can get Phantom Pain.....

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@youngmurk911 said:

@quatoe: who's bitching? I just asked a simple question son.....take ur tuff guy hat off guy cuz it's not that serious

It appears you cannot take a joke, eh? Tuff guy.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

All the guys bringing up disc space as the reason.

That was only because Kojima didn't compress the sound much. MGS4 could easily have been on one disc for 360 and unless you're just some audiophile with a crazy set-up you would never have known the difference.

Beyond that OP, you're not really missing out. MGS4 has average gameplay, a terrible story, the worst writing in the series and is overflowing with retcons. I was shocked from beginning to end. It was like I was playing some strange game that was pretending to be MGS.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Woulda been nice, but there was a Sony/Kojima deal.

I got it on PS3, you should do the same.

Btw it's hilarious and retro as **** to see people claiming the "Blu Ray advantage" even today, lol.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

That was only because Kojima didn't compress the sound much. MGS4 could easily have been on one disc for 360 and unless you're just some audiophile with a crazy set-up you would never have known the difference.

Beyond that OP, you're not really missing out. MGS4 has average gameplay, a terrible story, the worst writing in the series and is overflowing with retcons. I was shocked from beginning to end. It was like I was playing some strange game that was pretending to be MGS.

At the same time, Konami got a console -- the ps3 -- where they didn't have such limitations, and people that did have awesome sound systems -- me -- appreciated that. They could have compressed certain elements of the game, but why compromise your vision if you don't have to? I certainly wouldn't -- I work in the creative field -- and I don't.

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

@youngmurk911 said:

@quatoe: because I prefer owning an xbox....just because I'm a fan of a game don't mean I'm going to pay 500 just for that one game, to each is own though

$500? You wouldn't pay $500 for one game? Yet you also claim you bought an Xbone... I can't imagine what was the game that did convince ya to pick that one up. Was it Ryse? Titanfall? Either of those two games must've been better than MGS4, since that game ain't enough for you to cough up $500 for it, despite you claiming it is one of your favorite franchises.

Even though the PS3 + MGS4 wouldn't cost you that much right now unless you actively WANTED to pay that much for it. Or if you were posting from 2008. In which case, go out and warn MS about the shitty decisions they are bound to make with the Xbone.

And to answer your question in the OP - why didn't MGS4 not appear on 360. The answer is Sony bought a lifetime exclusivity contract on the game. Its the same deal MS bought from EA for Titanfall 1.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

because the game takes up 50GB, not sure what though takes up so much space, maybe he had redundant textures, and large uncompressed audio files, I'm sure Kojima wasn't looking to be efficient since he had those 50GB to take up, plus he could say he filled up the 50GB as a selling point

the game wasn't that big though that it should require more than two discs, if made efficiently

then again maybe they never wanted it on the Xbox 360 in the first place, exclusivity really riles up the cows, if they ported it the game would have to thrive on its merits and that's something I don't think they want to happen

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ConanTheStoner

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

At the same time, Konami got a console -- the ps3 -- where they didn't have such limitations, and people that did have awesome sound systems -- me -- appreciated that. They could have compressed certain elements of the game, but why compromise your vision if you don't have to? I certainly wouldn't -- I work in the creative field -- and I don't.

That's interesting. I too work in a creative field and compromising your vision is an inevitable part of that. Almost nobody can avoid that. It's pretty much what you get paid to do. The majority of creative/design/artistic jobs revolve around helping someone else realize their vision.

If you happen to be a director with a really great producer, or you're making a good living selling some kind of original art, then congrats though.

Anyways, I don't think compressing sound is what I'd call compromising your vision lol. I'm certain that the amount of people that played MGS4 with a good enough system and a keen enough ear to tell the ever-so-slight difference were probably few in number. Even then, it doesn't deliver some wholly different experience. It's not like the non-audiophiles out there experienced some lesser version of MGS4.

Kojima loves new tech. Plain and simple. He decided to fill a Blu Ray right off the bat because what the hell, why not? If I were a game director and I had that much space left on the disc I'd also stack it with huge sound files just for the hell of it. At least in a small way it does deliver something nice for those who can appreciate it.

The point is though, that lack of Blu Ray is not why the 360 didn't get MGS4. It's crazy that 6 years later some people still think that's the reason. Konami didn't look at the PS3 and say "wow we can fill this disc up with audio, screw the 360!"

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ConanTheStoner

@lamprey263 said:

because the game takes up 50GB, not sure what though takes up so much space, maybe he had redundant textures, and large uncompressed audio files, I'm sure Kojima wasn't looking to be efficient since he had those 50GB to take up, plus he could say he filled up the 50GB as a selling point

the game wasn't that big though that it should require more than two discs, if made efficiently

then again maybe they never wanted it on the Xbox 360 in the first place, exclusivity really riles up the cows, if they ported it the game would have to thrive on its merits and that's something I don't think they want to happen

Yeah it was the sound files, and yes it was definitely a selling/bragging point. He talked about it a lot, there were plenty of articles about it, and it did generate some extra hype.

I'm sure it was initially exclusive just because Kojimas team had never developed multiplats in parallel. Each MGS was developed on a Sony platform and then (sometimes) ported over later.

As for why MGS4 never got ported later, Kojima was pretty straight forward about it (after commenting on how annoying it was being asked about 360 ports in every interview). He said that the engine MGS4 was built on was very much built around the PS3 and that a 360 port would definitely be possible, but difficult. His team was done with the project and he wanted to move on to new games rather than spending the time and resources.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Wasn't your MGS4 experience tainted though, by waiting years to finally play through the game and possibly watching MGS4 videos prior to playing the game?

It had to have some effect, especially as I recall you really didn't like the machine over the many years that the game happened to be on and many posters over the years insisted MGS4 was going to be late ported to 360 as well. I have some anecdotal stories, like RE4 compared to Dead Space or Shadow of the Colossus and Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Half-Life, etc, but I don't want to make this post complex. Needless to say, I had some RL friends that didn't like some great games as they played them way too late after playing later gen games that cloned those great games. The older titles lost the much-appreciated nouveau elements and those magical moments that those games offered when they were fresh and new. The greater older games, according to them, didn't age well as elements of the game were cloned in other, more recent games. We see this in Hollywood with things like the Matrix and in ideas in Books emulated in other works at record pace as well.

I'm not saying I disagree on your experience, but I as time marched on games lose their edge as more and more other games release, many times inspired by games like MGS4. You may have played many of these games, as you didn't have a PS3 and were enjoying your Wii and 360. Then, when finally going back after picking up a PS3 later in the generation, and playing 2008's MGS4, even as a former PS and MGS fan, perhaps MGS4 didn't seem as fresh as your MGS2 and MGS3 experiences were on PS3 where you played those PS2 games when they were more relevant, newer, and "fresh".

Again, I don't disagree with how you felt on your experience because that is your experience, I'm just asking if you had considered that by waiting so long to play the award winning MGS4 game that your time with said game had an unknown effect. If perhaps that long wait you had suffered through to finally play MGS4, on what must have been at the time, an alien system (controllers, etc) had an unknowing and potent effect on your MGS4 experience. If things had gone differently, if you played MGS4 sooner, it's possible you may have had an entirely different experience. Certain impactful super-high profile games like Metal Gear Solid in the industry seem time sensitive before aspects are cloned and especially seem to suffer as a result for backlog gamers. Yes, it's possible you would have felt the same, but more my point was just some food for thought.

Aside knowing that Liquid Snake was going to be in the game (and really, we knew he was based on his "appearance" in MGS2), I knew nothing prior to playing it. I was proud to be able to say I didn't see anything regarding the game for the years I spent waiting to play it.

That said, I can go back and play the original MGS and enjoy it more now than I did when I was 12. There are elements to the story that a child cannot understand and contextualize like an adult with life experience and greater education can. To me, it hasn't aged a day. MGS4, from a gameplay perspective, hadn't aged at all since it first came out, when I played it. It was a fantastic experience that was mired by overly drawn out cinematics, under use (and awful pacing, jumping between what amounts to entirely different gameplay sections), poor story and terrible characterization (and I'm a MGS2 Raiden fan).

MGS4 is not a good game. It has elements of a good game, but the overall package is not. It is a black spot on the amazing history of the series. I think it's about time I get the PS3 legendary collection and play Peace Walker (and 1, 2 and 3 again). I'm still looking forward to MGSV as well. I'm definitely still an MGS fan. Just not of MGS4.

EDIT: Also, while I'm not necessarily a fan of Sony's first party offerings, I definitely prefer the PS3 to the 360 and Wii as a multiplat console. My 360 (even with the replacement fan) makes a terrible amount of noise, and my Wii doesn't play the third party multiplats (just the first party). It also has the best Netflix integration and PS1 backwards compatibility (wish it had PS2 so I wouldn't have to buy HD collections or hook up the old Slim). However, I'm definitely leaning towards PC now that I have one capable of playing games from more recently, and am planning on getting into Star Citizen when it comes out and I can afford a flight stick setup and man cave to house it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@SolidTy said:

Wasn't your MGS4 experience tainted though, by waiting years to finally play through the game and possibly watching MGS4 videos prior to playing the game?

It had to have some effect, especially as I recall you really didn't like the machine over the many years that the game happened to be on and many posters over the years insisted MGS4 was going to be late ported to 360 as well. I have some anecdotal stories, like RE4 compared to Dead Space or Shadow of the Colossus and Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Half-Life, etc, but I don't want to make this post complex. Needless to say, I had some RL friends that didn't like some great games as they played them way too late after playing later gen games that cloned those great games. The older titles lost the much-appreciated nouveau elements and those magical moments that those games offered when they were fresh and new. The greater older games, according to them, didn't age well as elements of the game were cloned in other, more recent games. We see this in Hollywood with things like the Matrix and in ideas in Books emulated in other works at record pace as well.

I'm not saying I disagree on your experience, but I as time marched on games lose their edge as more and more other games release, many times inspired by games like MGS4. You may have played many of these games, as you didn't have a PS3 and were enjoying your Wii and 360. Then, when finally going back after picking up a PS3 later in the generation, and playing 2008's MGS4, even as a former PS and MGS fan, perhaps MGS4 didn't seem as fresh as your MGS2 and MGS3 experiences were on PS3 where you played those PS2 games when they were more relevant, newer, and "fresh".

Again, I don't disagree with how you felt on your experience because that is your experience, I'm just asking if you had considered that by waiting so long to play the award winning MGS4 game that your time with said game had an unknown effect. If perhaps that long wait you had suffered through to finally play MGS4, on what must have been at the time, an alien system (controllers, etc) had an unknowing and potent effect on your MGS4 experience. If things had gone differently, if you played MGS4 sooner, it's possible you may have had an entirely different experience. Certain impactful super-high profile games like Metal Gear Solid in the industry seem time sensitive before aspects are cloned and especially seem to suffer as a result for backlog gamers. Yes, it's possible you would have felt the same, but more my point was just some food for thought.

Aside knowing that Liquid Snake was going to be in the game (and really, we knew he was based on his "appearance" in MGS2), I knew nothing prior to playing it. I was proud to be able to say I didn't see anything regarding the game for the years I spent waiting to play it.

That said, I can go back and play the original MGS and enjoy it more now than I did when I was 12. There are elements to the story that a child cannot understand and contextualize like an adult with life experience and greater education can. To me, it hasn't aged a day. MGS4, from a gameplay perspective, hadn't aged at all since it first came out, when I played it. It was a fantastic experience that was mired by overly drawn out cinematics, under use (and awful pacing, jumping between what amounts to entirely different gameplay sections), poor story and terrible characterization (and I'm a MGS2 Raiden fan).

MGS4 is not a good game. It has elements of a good game, but the overall package is not. It is a black spot on the amazing history of the series. I think it's about time I get the PS3 legendary collection and play Peace Walker (and 1, 2 and 3 again). I'm still looking forward to MGSV as well. I'm definitely still an MGS fan. Just not of MGS4.

EDIT: Also, while I'm not necessarily a fan of Sony's first party offerings, I definitely prefer the PS3 to the 360 and Wii as a multiplat console. My 360 (even with the replacement fan) makes a terrible amount of noise, and my Wii doesn't play the third party multiplats (just the first party). It also has the best Netflix integration and PS1 backwards compatibility (wish it had PS2 so I wouldn't have to buy HD collections or hook up the old Slim). However, I'm definitely leaning towards PC now that I have one capable of playing games from more recently, and am planning on getting into Star Citizen when it comes out and I can afford a flight stick setup and man cave to house it.

I went through the MGS series last year in fact, showing some friends and my lady why I liked the games. It took a few months to get through the games due to scheduling, but it reinforced my love for the first game. I love the series, and I still love MGS2 and MGS3 as well. I had a blast with MGS4, but I understand how you feel. Spoiler: My lady cried during part 2 w/Emma's death, she cried again during the MGS3 Boss death scene, and she cried once during MGS4 with the Crying Wolf/Brother scene. She also got some tears with MGS4's Raiden/Campbell's reveal with Rose as the Wife. It turns out she was a Raiden Fan like you.

Cool thing about MGSV is that you can get it on your PS3 or 360. I picked it up next gen for the 1080p, but it wasn't necessary.

Oh and Yes, about Star Citizen! Me too! :P