How is that 360 owners can get Phantom Pain.....

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by youngmurk911 (3895 posts) -

But we can't get Metal Gear Solid 4.....I ask this because Metal Gear is definetly my favorite series.....I do own Ground Zeroes for the XBONE.....I don't understand how we couldn't get 4.

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (49728 posts) -

A deal between Kojima and Sony.

#3 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -
Loading Video...

#4 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

It would have been 30 HD-DVDs.

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -

Why would you want MGS4? Its a garbage game

#6 Posted by Ballroompirate (25829 posts) -

Cause Lems hate Metal Gear Solid

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

jesus. let that one go.

10/10 on gamespot as well.

#8 Edited by LustForSoul (6404 posts) -

Watch the cutscenes on youtube, you´ll basically play 80% of the game by doing that.

#9 Posted by speedfog (4941 posts) -

Deal with Sony I guesse? Imo garbage game.

#11 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

10 /goty gamespot

#12 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

You had since mid 2008 to come to terms with this. It's 2014. Sorry for your loss, bud.

I'm a massive MGS fan, so I own the machines I need to play those games. I don't enjoy waiting for a game I like to sit on the shelf after it's released either (therefore letting other developers copy clever ideas found in the games). I suppose it depends on how big a fan you are of whatever series. You say literally MGS is your favorite series. That doesn't seem feasible but with my outlook that is because with my favorite things, I try to own them.

I enjoy looking at my MGS collection, it's very tidy and organized from NES to Gamecube to Playstation to Playstation 2 to Playstation 3 to Playstation 4, et cetera.

Finally, MGSV is running on a different engine than MGS4 ran on.

#13 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Hideo wanted to do a big favour for Sony that had nothing at all to do with sleazy, backroom deals including the possibility of fellatio.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#14 Edited by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

If Metal Gear is your favourite series why would you not own the platform that has every Metal Gear game available to play?

#15 Posted by quatoe (7123 posts) -

@Obviously_Right said:

If Metal Gear is your favourite series why would you not own the platform that has every Metal Gear game available to play?

#16 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@Obviously_Right said:

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#17 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4965 posts) -

The lembox couldn't handle it.

#18 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3137 posts) -

@youngmurk911: To clarify, there's no deal between Kojima and Sony, nor is it a garbage game.

The reason Metal Gear Solid 4 can't come to 360 is because most of the cutscenes aren't done in-engine, and they take up GB's of space that 360 discs don't have.

But Phantom Pain is doing almost -- if not all -- of its cut-scenes in-engine can actually fit onto a couple 360 discs, as opposed to -- I believe -- the six or seven it would take to fit MGS 4.

#19 Posted by youngmurk911 (3895 posts) -

@quatoe: because I prefer owning an xbox....just because I'm a fan of a game don't mean I'm going to pay 500 just for that one game, to each is own though

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12564 posts) -

@LustForSoul said:

Watch the cutscenes on youtube, you´ll basically play 80% of the game by doing that.

That's how I "played" The Last of Us, which was a great game.

#21 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6952 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Tears of a butthurt lem speaking. MGS4's the G.O.A.T.

#22 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2466 posts) -

Amazing game, shame you cannot play. MGS5 implement all new gameplay feature of MGS4 and add a few. I just wish they have survival feature of MGS3, then will be perfect.

#23 Posted by navyguy21 (14628 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@youngmurk911: To clarify, there's no deal between Kojima and Sony, nor is it a garbage game.

The reason Metal Gear Solid 4 can't come to 360 is because most of the cutscenes aren't done in-engine, and they take up GB's of space that 360 discs don't have.

But Phantom Pain is doing almost -- if not all -- of its cut-scenes in-engine can actually fit onto a couple 360 discs, as opposed to -- I believe -- the six or seven it would take to fit MGS 4.

The cutscenes were done in-engine and most of the game was uncompressed 7.1 audio. The 360 only supports 5.1 so compressing that would at least get you down to 20GB.

On top of that, the game had 5 installs on PS3, so breaking it up over 3 discs wouldve been easy, not to mention you couldve installed all and saved time.

Lastly, MGS4 wasnt a texture rich game, there are plenty of games on both platforms that look better.

MGS4s exclusivity comes down to money, as almost all other 3rd party games do.

#24 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3137 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

The cutscenes were done in-engine and most of the game was uncompressed 7.1 audio. The 360 only supports 5.1 so compressing that would at least get you down to 20GB.

On top of that, the game had 5 installs on PS3, so breaking it up over 3 discs wouldve been easy, not to mention you couldve installed all and saved time.

Lastly, MGS4 wasnt a texture rich game, there are plenty of games on both platforms that look better.

MGS4s exclusivity comes down to money, as almost all other 3rd party games do.

I'm not going to bother digging around the internet, but Kojima's specifically said MGS 4 hasn't come to 360 specifically because of the size of DVD's. Konami's always had the rights to put the game on any console they want, there's no deal with Sony. Sony actually doesn't really do that too often in terms of exclusives. Of the studios they don't actually own, there aren't really any deals to speak of. Quantic Dream isn't paid by Sony to release exclusives either, they've just said they like working with them.

#25 Posted by lundy86_4 (48522 posts) -

Probably a contract agreement of some sort, or maybe Kojima/Konami strictly wanted to stick to the PS3 for that title. There were a few jokes inserted into the game regarding the exclusivity.

#26 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

Cuz Kojima wanted to make it specifically for PS3, and developed it all around the PS3.

#27 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@youngmurk911:

@Obviously_Right said:

but seriously,

the game was just too massive for dvds, uncompressed I do believe mgs4 was 32 gbs???

4 dvds, it is microsofts fault for not future proofing the 360s and gimping game sizes because they went with dvd.

but now digital downloads becoming widely available, it is not out of the realm of possibility,

but it would just be wasted resources on the cusp of ground zeroes release and the phantom pains impending release.

#28 Posted by navyguy21 (14628 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I'm not going to bother digging around the internet, but Kojima's specifically said MGS 4 hasn't come to 360 specifically because of the size of DVD's. Konami's always had the rights to put the game on any console they want, there's no deal with Sony. Sony actually doesn't really do that too often in terms of exclusives. Of the studios they don't actually own, there aren't really any deals to speak of. Quantic Dream isn't paid by Sony to release exclusives either, they've just said they like working with them.

1. Sony did pay

http://www.psu.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-82680.html

2. MS4 only uses 33GB, so that part about DVDs is simply false, even if he DID say it.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/mgs4-is-quotonlyquot-33gb-and-not-50gb-26430632/?page=1

3. I repeat, MGS4 had FIVE installs on PS3. There is no reason why it couldnt be split along those install lines.

http://www.psu.com/a003930/Metal-Gear-Solid-4-infamous-install-times-revealed

4. Heavy Rain was in development for 360, but MS didnt want to publish......THAT is why they are exclusive to Sony

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/04/heavy-rain-microsoft-knocked-back-quantic-dreams-bestseller-over-scandal-worries/

#29 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

It was a deal at the time with Sony, things change overtime you know. Kojima obviously understood by releasing the game on multiple platforms it'd make him a lot more money. Smart business decision if you ask me.

@Couth_ I love the Blu-Ray disc reference. I remember playing MGS4 at the time and when that screen came up I was shitting bricks thinking "I could of swore I never saw a disc 2 in the case"? Couldn't stop laughing after that.

#30 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3137 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

1. Sony did pay

2. MS4 only uses 33GB, so that part about DVDs is simply false, even if he DID say it.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/mgs4-is-quotonlyquot-33gb-and-not-50gb-26430632/?page=1

3. I repeat, MGS4 had FIVE installs on PS3. There is no reason why it couldnt be split along those install lines.

4. Heavy Rain was in development for 360, but MS didnt want to publish......THAT is why they are exclusive to Sony

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/04/heavy-rain-microsoft-knocked-back-quantic-dreams-bestseller-over-scandal-worries/

First of all, Metal Gear Solid having a 33GB install file isn't the same thing as being 33GB. Per Kojima, MGS 4 has enough data to fill seven Xbox 360 discs, and a lot of the game was simply running off the blu ray, not the hard drive.

Kojima on MGS

I can't find anything on Quantic Dream, but when ps4 was announced they were asked about Xbox One and stated they're happy working exclusively with Sony, but yes, I remember reading that MS turned down Heavy Rain, so you're right on that one.

But the main point, MGS 4 isn't only 33GB, it installs 33GB, then runs the rest of its massive file -- of which a lot of the cutscenes were done with CGI, specifically that crazy sword fight with Raiden -- that wouldn't work on Xbox.

#31 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

You had since mid 2008 to come to terms with this. It's 2014. Sorry for your loss, bud.

I'm a massive MGS fan, so I own the machines I need to play those games. I don't enjoy waiting for a game I like to sit on the shelf after it's released either (therefore letting other developers copy clever ideas found in the games). I suppose it depends on how big a fan you are of whatever series. You say literally MGS is your favorite series. That doesn't seem feasible but with my outlook that is because with my favorite things, I try to own them.

I enjoy looking at my MGS collection, it's very tidy and organized from NES to Gamecube to Playstation to Playstation 2 to Playstation 3 to Playstation 4, et cetera.

Its insane how your whole existence is to come to system wars and try to impress people and brag about how you are rich atleast once a week you mention what have you, Its why I've never liked you a rich snob that tries to act superior.

#32 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

It would have been 30 HD-DVDs.

No just 2 HD-DVD's. MGS IV was more movie then game anyways. That's what took up most of the disc space.

#33 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker: That doesn't mean he's rich, if you claim that's being rich then you'd think I'm royalty lol.

#34 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@SolidTy said:

Its insane how your whole existence is to come to system wars and try to impress people and brag about how you are rich atleast once a week you mention what have you, Its why I've never liked you a rich snob that tries to act superior.

where did he brag about how he is rich?

#35 Edited by lundy86_4 (48522 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

That means he's rich? Call me when he has an Audi R8 parked in his driveway. That isn't even expensive for rich people.

#36 Edited by navyguy21 (14628 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

First of all, Metal Gear Solid having a 33GB install file isn't the same thing as being 33GB. Per Kojima, MGS 4 has enough data to fill seven Xbox 360 discs, and a lot of the game was simply running off the blu ray, not the hard drive.

Kojima on MGS

I can't find anything on Quantic Dream, but when ps4 was announced they were asked about Xbox One and stated they're happy working exclusively with Sony, but yes, I remember reading that MS turned down Heavy Rain, so you're right on that one.

But the main point, MGS 4 isn't only 33GB, it installs 33GB, then runs the rest of its massive file -- of which a lot of the cutscenes were done with CGI, specifically that crazy sword fight with Raiden -- that wouldn't work on Xbox.

MGS4 was proven to be 33GB time and again dude. I know you dont want to believe it, but it is.

It really doesnt matter what Kojima said. Even if the game filled a full 50GB, with compression the game would STILL fit on 4 disks assuming a 7.5GB disk size. That that INCLUDES the uncompressed audio. Compressed audio will bring the size down far faster than textures. MGS4 wouldve and couldve been done on 3 disks or an even smaller download file.

Data is data dude. It doesnt magically change just because its on PS3 or bluray.

PCs have been doing bigger and more graphically intensive games for years............with 2 discs.

At worst, it would be mandatory installs like PS3 version, but it was still possible..

#37 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@SolidTy said:

It's insane that you project these emotions and characteristics onto users. I fear that I must remind you of some other chap, perhaps around your neighborhood or a school yard chum you did not care for in real life. Sorry old bean, I am truly afraid that was not me and your particular observations are simply not accurate. My point was that if you are a fan of 'something', say Gears of War, Halo, Mario, Zelda, Mass Effect, or what have you, and you make the claim it's your favorite series (this "favorite" part is key as that is what the TC claimed) and then proceed to tell me you don't own the gaming boxes to play the games, I would be at odds.

Same for if someone said Star Wars was THEIR FAVORITE SERIES, but after speaking with them, they never read any books, comics, no toys, and only saw one of the movies at a loud party. It would give me pause.

There are other issues in the Opening Post I found suspect, but enjoy these clues at the very least. The game is about six years old, the machine is affordable now. We aren't talking a $600 PS3 anymore.

Sorry you are still experiencing some misplaced judgements that give you ill feelings...I truly wish there was a way to improve your outlook, but if your post above allowed you a brief moment of joy, then take it dear sir. Savor it. I can't offer much, but I do take solace that when you come here to this forum I can aid with your treatments with this forum therapy.

Also, you weren't on topic so you may have some advice for the Topic Creator if you wanted to comment on topic.

#38 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3137 posts) -

@navyguy21: But there is a difference between a 33 GB install and overall file size, as games weren't installing all of their data on the ps3, only a portion of it and then running the rest off the disc.

Now, if total game size is actually 33 GB then so be it. I'm not going to argue past that, but I'm certainly not believing it based solely an unconfirmed source posting on System Wars over the creator of the game.

#39 Edited by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@youngmurk911:

You're wrong, almost all of the cutscenes in MGS4 are real time. The only reason why MGS4 takes up so much space is because of uncompressed audio.

#40 Posted by lundy86_4 (48522 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@youngmurk911:

You're wrong, almost all of the cutscenes in MGS4 are real time.

This. According to a Neogaf thread, only 2 cutscenes were not pre-rendered.

#41 Posted by navyguy21 (14628 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@navyguy21: But there is a difference between a 33 GB install and overall file size, as games weren't installing all of their data on the ps3, only a portion of it and then running the rest off the disc.

Now, if total game size is actually 33 GB then so be it. I'm not going to argue past that, but I'm certainly not believing it based solely an unconfirmed source posting on System Wars over the creator of the game.

It was confirmed on NeoGaf by multiple people, multiple sources. Heck, i even put my disk in my laptop (which has a bluray drive) it it reads a shade under 33GB. Kojima will say what he has to. Just like all PR statements.

You cant argue with facts, and the fact is that the game installs about 5GB per chapter, leaving some content on the disc. What you are seeing in these images is the complete disc size, not install file.

#42 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@navyguy21 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

1. Sony did pay

Kojima on MGS

1. Kojima never said anything about DVD not being big enough that I know of he just claimed the game wouldn't work which was a lie.
2. lol 7 dvds so MGs4 is 56 gigs and they some how compressed that to 33 gigs? lol you do know If you install the game completely with the latest update it only takes up about 9 gigs right? it runs data from hdd and disc it never runs from just disc *to slow* or hdd.
3. It is simply confirmed fact that the game data files take up 33 gigs on disc 9 gigs of that is installed in a full install, using the better compression microsoft used the game could have fit on 2 dvds maybe 3 at the most.
4. Actually most of the cutscenes in MGS4 were ingame prerendered but ingame none the less not CGI.

#43 Edited by Heil68 (57686 posts) -

MS platforms aren't built for 10/10 games.

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (96562 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

This. MGO is now offline, so there is no reason to really play the game if one values the franchise's plot and characters and doesn't like massive hand-wavy retcons (even Revengeance takes better advantage of the IP despite knowing full well that it's a satirical interpretation).

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever Kojima works on after MGSV (we all know it's too big a franchise to give up despite it always being his "last game") retcons 4. He didn't work as closely on 4 as he did the previous three games, and it shows, big time. There isn't that "magic" and tiny details everywhere. It just felt like a shell of what an MGS game is supposed to be.

I honestly want to forget about MGS4. It had great gameplay (that didn't last very long before changing) but everything else about it was way too fan-service-y and just downright bad. There was no prevailing theme or over-arching plot. The solution to everything was "NANOMACHINES!"

Every time (out of the probably 40-50 times) I beat MGS2, that ending scene after the credits gave me shivers to think of what "The Patriots" were and what implications they had on the future of the story. Then MGS4 happened.

I could rant for days about how jarring of an experience MGS4 was. On the one hand, I loved the gameplay and fan-service, but on the other, the story was fucking terrible and there was no real depth to the game. There was no "hidden box" codec conversation or the like. No in-depth explanations about each different weapon at Snake's disposal. Just a totally unnecessary backstory about the bosses trying to make us care about these characters we just met and pummeled into the ground.

*sigh*

#45 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

This. MGO is now offline, so there is no reason to really play the game if one values the franchise's plot and characters and doesn't like massive hand-wavy retcons (even Revengeance takes better advantage of the IP despite knowing full well that it's a satirical interpretation).

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever Kojima works on after MGSV (we all know it's too big a franchise to give up despite it always being his "last game") retcons 4. He didn't work as closely on 4 as he did the previous three games, and it shows, big time. There isn't that "magic" and tiny details everywhere. It just felt like a shell of what an MGS game is supposed to be.

I honestly want to forget about MGS4. It had great gameplay (that didn't last very long before changing) but everything else about it was way too fan-service-y and just downright bad. There was no prevailing theme or over-arching plot. The solution to everything was "NANOMACHINES!"

Every time (out of the probably 40-50 times) I beat MGS2, that ending scene after the credits gave me shivers to think of what "The Patriots" were and what implications they had on the future of the story. Then MGS4 happened.

I could rant for days about how jarring of an experience MGS4 was. On the one hand, I loved the gameplay and fan-service, but on the other, the story was fucking terrible and there was no real depth to the game. There was no "hidden box" codec conversation or the like. No in-depth explanations about each different weapon at Snake's disposal. Just a totally unnecessary backstory about the bosses trying to make us care about these characters we just met and pummeled into the ground.

*sigh*

Wasn't your MGS4 experience tainted though, by waiting years to finally play through the game and possibly watching MGS4 videos prior to playing the game?

It had to have some effect, especially as I recall you really didn't like the machine over the many years that the game happened to be on and many posters over the years insisted MGS4 was going to be late ported to 360 as well. I have some anecdotal stories, like RE4 compared to Dead Space or Shadow of the Colossus and Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Half-Life, etc, but I don't want to make this post complex. Needless to say, I had some RL friends that didn't like some great games as they played them way too late after playing later gen games that cloned those great games. The older titles lost the much-appreciated nouveau elements and those magical moments that those games offered when they were fresh and new. The greater older games, according to them, didn't age well as elements of the game were cloned in other, more recent games. We see this in Hollywood with things like the Matrix and in ideas in Books emulated in other works at record pace as well.

I'm not saying I disagree on your experience, but I as time marched on games lose their edge as more and more other games release, many times inspired by games like MGS4. You may have played many of these games, as you didn't have a PS3 and were enjoying your Wii and 360. Then, when finally going back after picking up a PS3 later in the generation, and playing 2008's MGS4, even as a former PS and MGS fan, perhaps MGS4 didn't seem as fresh as your MGS2 and MGS3 experiences were on PS3 where you played those PS2 games when they were more relevant, newer, and "fresh".

Again, I don't disagree with how you felt on your experience because that is your experience, I'm just asking if you had considered that by waiting so long to play the award winning MGS4 game that your time with said game had an unknown effect. If perhaps that long wait you had suffered through to finally play MGS4, on what must have been at the time, an alien system (controllers, etc) had an unknowing and potent effect on your MGS4 experience. If things had gone differently, if you played MGS4 sooner, it's possible you may have had an entirely different experience. Certain impactful super-high profile games like Metal Gear Solid in the industry seem time sensitive before aspects are cloned and especially seem to suffer as a result for backlog gamers. Yes, it's possible you would have felt the same, but more my point was just some food for thought.

#46 Edited by Daious (2315 posts) -

The developers already recently explained this. I feel like they talked about it right after E3. It is a disc space limitation.

#47 Posted by Shewgenja (18840 posts) -

LMFAO! Get a used PS3, they're stupid cheap nowadays.

#48 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

that 10 still makes your vagina salty huh?

#49 Posted by quatoe (7123 posts) -

@youngmurk911 said:

@quatoe: because I prefer owning an xbox....just because I'm a fan of a game don't mean I'm going to pay 500 just for that one game, to each is own though

Then don't complain that you can't play it. It is your choice to not purchase the system to play the game so stop the bitchin.

#50 Posted by youngmurk911 (3895 posts) -

@quatoe: who's bitching? I just asked a simple question son.....take ur tuff guy hat off guy cuz it's not that serious