• 52 results
Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How do we feel about Naughty Dog? (68 votes)

It's time to move onto a new IP 56%
I'd prefer they move onto a new IP, but I'll still play whatever they make 41%
I just want more Uncharted/The Last of Us 3%

Uncharted and The Last of Us have been major successes for them (critical reviews, game of the years, sales numbers) yes. But they've become a one trick pony... please don't crucify me for criticizing. Third person shooter with an emphasis on story telling and cinematics.

Do you think they should stick to their guns or is it time to move on?

I remember many people sharing on this board that they found Uncharted 4 to be getting stale. Do you still feel that way? Since Uncharted is getting a movie release I have a feeling they're going to continue making those games.

Are you done with the Last of Us since that thing happened to that one character, or do you want a part 3?

I miss the days of 1 new trilogy per Playstation- variety is a good thing. I'd like a new IP in a new genre personally. I don't think it's going to happen though.

• 
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Never played a Naughty Dog game in my life, but the general question stands; if they're good at something and are successful at it, why should they change what's working?

I mean, it's not as if they're like the Call of Duty folks who just clone the same damn game every single year until it turns into a stale grey paste of mediocrity. ND games come only after a full development cycle, and they do something a little different each time.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think they should stick to the same type of game (SP action-adventure TPS with a mixture of mechanics and a heavy emphasis on story). But I def think they should try a new IP.

I think their style translates pretty easily to a new IP. Just need one new gameplay hook and a new art style (sci-fi perhaps) and then they can keep pretty much everything else.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

They make one kind of game and are damn good at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Probably the least exciting developer.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8233 Posts

I use to like their games, Crash and Jak n Daxter, good platformers, gamey games. I'm just not into the heavy narrative drama action movie games like last of us and uncharted, id like to see them get away from the heavy narrative more realistic style and try at making a "gamey" game again, get weird with it idc, just make something fun and not worry to much about narrative cinema type stuff. I'm down for a new IP, just hope its more creative than what they have been doing recently, if its another 3rd person heavy narrative game drama i wont even bother with it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

Naughty Dog hasn't made games that appeal to me for the past 5 years. This dark gloomy and heavy story focused games has become uninteresting.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Make a new IP that isn't a gloomy, gritty third person shooter.

Give Chloe a full fledged lighthearted standalone Uncharted game. The same directors who made The Lost Legacy, which I preferred over Uncharted 4.

I didn't even bother with The Last of Us, Part II. Found the first one average.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@sargentd said:

I use to like their games, Crash and Jak n Daxter, good platformers, gamey games. I'm just not into the heavy narrative drama action movie games like last of us and uncharted, id like to see them get away from the heavy narrative more realistic style and try at making a "gamey" game again, get weird with it idc, just make something fun and not worry to much about narrative cinema type stuff. I'm down for a new IP, just hope its more creative than what they have been doing recently, if its another 3rd person heavy narrative game drama i wont even bother with it.

I agree with you 100%. This trend of games trying their best not to be games is so unappealing. It sometimes feels as if gamers are seeking approval from non gamers.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@sargentd said:

Well stated. Boo to movie games, bring on the platformers.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I would love so see a new IP from them, but at the same time I really want a third TLoU to finish out that trilogy.

I'd also like to see a compilation disc of all their pre 3d games, as most of them I never got to play and their history goes way back.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

Why would they change direction now when they finally found success with UC formula after almost 3 decades of chasing trends.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD

@Pedro: yeah i feel that, they try too hard to be hollywood and not games. I watch movies for that type of thing, I love movies and have thousands. But i play games to have fun. its pretty simple. I get there are people that do enjoy the 2 mixed... but im the type of gamer who would rather play Pac Man Champion Edition DX rather than Uncharted 4... I dunno just feels like some of the bigger developers are getting away from what made them popular in the first place. Maybe its just the gaming industry has gotten to mainstream and this is what appeals more to the masses. I used to really respect naughty dog but not so much anymore, they kind of represent everything i don't like about this industry anymore.

They have some awesome production and presentation, graphics,... but the game part kind of sucks.. and this is supposed to be a game. Its supposed to be FUN. If i beat a game and feel " well now that i beat it, i have no reason to go back to it" then the game was not fun, it was like a show or movie, can still enjoy it, but it wasn't fun.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

Best developer for Sony by far

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD

@Postosuchus: I had such high hopes for how amazing games games would be in the future back in the PS2 days, instead i'm looking back going, "awww man those were the golden years right there, wish i could go back"

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

They should make another TLOU and another IP for PS5. Uncharted was wrapped up with U4 for Drake, so if they do decide to make another it should focus on Chloe, Sam/Sully or Cassie.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

If Naughty Dog has a real reason to make a different type of game, they should do it. If their studio is structured around building story-driven single player games, they should stick to that.

Making something different for the sake of making something different is not the answer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38853 Posts

I want them to make a scifi horror survival game a la dead space. TLOU3 would be amazing, but i don't want to see anything related to Uncharted... what a shitty series.

After the ground zero level of TLOU2, i am sure they can make a kickass survival horror game that will surpass every RE game and even Dead Space itself.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

I would love to see TLOU3, just so they can wrap up the series.

As far as the Uncharted games, I really don’t care for them, I played part 1 and didn’t like it, so I never played any of the others.

They’re mainly known for 2 games, uncharted and the last of us, so they need to make something new.

As hardwenzen said, if they used the TLOU formula, I’m sure they can do another bad ass survival horror game that would probably beat my favorite series RE

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Sheer and total indifference. Aside from Jak and Daxter, I have no interest in any of their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I want a sequel to the classic Way of the Warrior.

By far ND best game, cows must be too young to remember that one :)

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

What if they made a new Last of Us in a alternative universe without the characters from the original game would that make things better?

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

@robbie23:

I like the sound of that

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Don't care either way. They typically make games that range from average to kinda good, just with insane production values. Way too much interrupting the player, be it cutscenes, cinematic walking, or gameplay segments that are so basic they might as well be a cutscene. Imagine thinking the platforming in Uncharted is actually platforming lol.

From what I understand, their last two games were significantly improved in gameplay, TLOU2 being their best yet (at least from new era ND). But are still saddled with all those other issues.

Anyways, would love to see those production values applied to a gamey ass game. Wishful thinking though. They've seen tons of success with what they're doing. They like making those games. People seem to love them. Don't see why they'd change.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Happy to see another Last of Us in half a dozen years.

Until then, I think they need their 'Portal' moment. A smaller, lighter game as a palette cleanser after how intense TLOU2 was.

Mechanically, they just keep improving. TLOU2 was their best game in terms of stealth and level design.

That line about them interrupting the player is so far off the mark. Just look of the number of encounters you can replay in their most recent game. That doesn't even include the amount of time you can spend exploring either.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1240 Posts

Paraphrasing here - we don't use the term fun around here ....

So I'll pass on their games.

Uncharted 3 was the last one that I played. 2 and 3 are too cinematic for my tastes even if mechanically they improved on 1. Was tempted to play TLOU1 at one point - but now if I really feel like experiencing it I'll just youtube it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@my_user_name: TBH, if you didn't like Uncharted you might still like TLOU. I'm not a big fan of uncharted and its mindless gameplay, and TLOU hooked me. It's still linear intensely story-driven, of course, but the enounters are better and the whole game just feels deeper from both a game and story standpoint

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They used to be a top 3 studio until Druckmann decided to used a golf club and Joel's head to push his alt-left social agenda. Thankfully Sucker Punch is picking up the slack for Sony.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Perfect $ 10 movie game; $ 1 rental. They can do anything they want just as long as the production value isn't trash. That's the only thing going for them anyway.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Glad to see people want them to move on... I think they're way overdue to be on something new.

We didn't need a last of us 2 and uncharted has been meh for a while.

New ip please!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45125 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Glad to see people want them to move on... I think they're way overdue to be on something new.

We didn't need a last of us 2 and uncharted has been meh for a while.

New ip please!

Yea, they kinda killed The Last of Us with the second one. Literally, killed it lol.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

As they aren't making anymore Uncharted games and I'm not a fan of any of their other games, I don't really care what they do.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44071 Posts

Way of the Warrior, on 3DO was their very first game and also their last good game. :P

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Awesome developers. I want (and expect) them to wrap up TLOU w/ a third entry and bring forth new IP. Druckman was just made co-president. He is going to want his own baby.

TLOU3 needs to address if there ever will be a cure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@shellcase86 said:

Awesome developers. I want (and expect) them to wrap up TLOU w/ a third entry and bring forth new IP. Druckman was just made co-president. He is going to want his own baby.

So you are telling me Naughty Dog would be non-existent to me for another 7 years? 😭

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@my_user_name: TBH, if you didn't like Uncharted you might still like TLOU. I'm not a big fan of uncharted and its mindless gameplay, and TLOU hooked me. It's still linear intensely story-driven, of course, but the enounters are better and the whole game just feels deeper from both a game and story standpoint

I was about to say the same thing. I played Uncharted 1-3 before the Last of Us and I thought the Last of Us was better than all 3 of those by a lot.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@Pedro said:
@shellcase86 said:

So you are telling me Naughty Dog would be non-existent to me for another 7 years? 😭

Possibly, but not likely. I'd guess they have something else coming out before TLOU3 -- so maybe we'll get something in 3-4 years.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I absolutely love Uncharted 1-3, wasn't a huge fan of 4. Maybe I need to retry Last of Us because I really think it's one of the most overrated franchises. I was never able to make it far into the game before I got bored though so maybe I needed to get deeper into the game. I loved their ps1 and ps2 games. I'm a fan of their games and will try what they put out. I may give Last of Us another chance this weekend if I have time. I want to love it a much as others do, I just haven't found that love yet.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

I'll play anything they make. TLOU 1 & 2 are absolute favorites and I enjoyed the hell out of Uncharted too. Still, it's time for something new and I fully expect that there is probably something in the works.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Forget playing Uncharted 4 with 1 hand. ND’s next game will probably be playable without a controller. Their “games” are a complete waste of my time.

(I’m still gonna play TLOU2 when I’m on PTO next)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

They're a rock-solid developer, though by no means close to perfect. Won't get into the nitty-gritty of Druckmann.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Anything they make I will buy.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

This poll sucks. I want a new Jak and Dexter game. Basically, I’ll take anything that resembles a video game instead of a movie.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

Very overrated.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Not company care about due to the style of game. Or specifically, how they execute it.

Halflife would fit in the a similar mold of linear scripted story-telling, but that generally fits around the game and not the game around it.

And when it comes to Indiana Jones type adventure experience, rather play OG Tomb Raiders, they have challenge to their platforming rather than the illusion of it, with huge complex levels that reward exploration, critical thinking and generally have a huge sense of scale and atmosphere to them even running on PS1 hardware.

To me that's more enjoyable and more engaging than how Uncharted delivers it's thrills.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Great company, but slightly overrated. In my opinion they are not up to other devs like Rockstar, CDPR, Media Molecule, Bethesda, etc

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29825 Posts

I like both of those franchises, but a new foray would be nice.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Top tier dev, but hopefully they go away from story type games.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

@sargentd: I second this.