How come Sony is so generous, offers free games, while Xbox and Nintendo have strings attached?

• 78 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45107 Posts

So we already know that Sony has announced the Play At Home initiative for PS4 and PS5 games. For March through June, Sony will give gamers games to play completely free of cost, and no PS Plus needed. The first game, Ratchet and Clank, is already available. So there's 3 more games left. Meanwhile, Xbox confirms the acquisition of Bethesda, and what happens next? 20 Bethesda games come to GamePass the next day. Most of these games have been out for a while, and have either been deeply discounted (or free), or can be purchased for very cheap. One example was Rage 2. Epic just gave this game out for free! Then there's Nintendo. You want to play Mario 35? Celebrate Mario's history? Well guess what? You need a Nintendo online membership. Also, I can't remember the last time Nintendo has given anything for free, despite their tremendous success. And speaking of success, according to a recent SW post, MS is the wealthiest of them all.

So what gives, SW? How come Sony is so generous, offers free games, while Xbox and Nintendo have strings attached?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Maybe Sony is getting a little desperate with all this Xbox Bethesda Game Pass news lately.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

First Sony fannies like OP claim that GamePass is for poor people who can't afford games but now complaining about not getting free games. This is the same person who was whining about playing old games just recently but is now praising old games. You can't make this shit up. 😂

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Desperation....

lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Seeing my fellow cows this desperate is shocking. Is this our future?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

lol, if getting free games, record sales, and having an awesome system is desperate, then consider me deprived!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

Yep! This is your future. Complain about everything the competition does but until Sony does the same or marginally better. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts
The PlayStation Fanboy
The PlayStation Fanboy

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

A better question would be why does Sony and Nintendo pour so much blood, tears, sweat and love into their game development while Microsoft continues to drop turds on GP and disrespect their fans?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Specifically to annoy fanboys on internet forums. I'm real tight with Spencer and Bowser, and they told me the terrible truth over drinks the other night.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

happy with my ps5 purchase. i see no reason on buying a ps5 game for now as for only 25 bucks, they give me 18 free games and monthly game and online subscription. super worth it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

A better question would be why does Sony and Nintendo pour so much blood, tears, sweat and love into their game development while Microsoft continues to drop turds on GP and disrespect their fans?

A better question would be why are you accepting charity from Sony? Are you finally embracing your poverty roots? 😂

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag

@Pedro said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

A better question would be why are you accepting charity from Sony? Are you finally embracing your poverty roots? 😂

I already bought R&C at full price the day it came out but I'm glad those less fortunate can now play it. The best part is they will be able to keep this masterpiece forever instead of losing it after a month. Although to be fair most people are happy to lose access to 99% of the garbage on GP. Hence Microsoft purchasing other companies to make games for them because lord knows they can't make anything rated above a 5 that doesn't involve driving cars in circles lol.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gym_Lion

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I already bought R&C at full price the day it came out but I'm glad those less fortunate can now play it. The best part is they will be able to keep this masterpiece forever instead of losing it after a month. Although to be fair most people are happy to lose access to 99% of the garbage on GP. Hence Microsoft purchasing other companies to make games for them because lord knows they can't make anything rated above a 5 that doesn't involve driving cars in circles lol.

Didn't Sony recently buy... er ... um... Insomniac?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Last I checked, you were against charities like this. It is almost as if Sony is undermining your futile shilling by accommodating these "poor" PlayStation gamers who desperately want to play old games. I guess your poverty roots have you in bind with this move from Sony. 😎

Don't let the Bethesda acquisition eat you up so much. It is too fun to watch. 😂

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@gym_lion: MS tried to have a relationship with Insomniac, and how did that work out? 🤭

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag

@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Insomniac's most successful IP were already owned by Sony. They tried to do the independent thing and found out lems don't buy games so they came crawling back. Not the same situation as Bethesda at all.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@gym_lion: MS tried to have a relationship with Insomniac, and how did that work out? 🤭

Sony fans rage on the internet. 😂

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gym_Lion

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Insomniac's most successful IP were already owned by Sony. They tried to do the independent thing and found out lems don't buy games so they came crawling back. Not the same situation as Bethesda at all.

Wasn't their first independent game Fuse, no wonder SO did badly after that crap.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

It's a nice gesture, but 99% of the people who were going to pay money for that game have already done so. And it's only free for a month. Generous would be giving something more recent away.

Hell would freeze over and pigs would fly before Nintendo did something like that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Maybe they think their games are less valuable? Which I'd agree with.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Pedro said:

First Sony fannies like OP claim that GamePass is for poor people who can't afford games but now complaining about not getting free games. This is the same person who was whining about playing old games just recently but is now praising old games. You can't make this shit up. 😂

Good point. XD

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:

Wasn't their first independent game Fuse, no wonder SO did badly after that crap.

Fuse was a huge flop. That was with EA though. SO was MS, and that was ok, but not earth shattering by any means lol.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HalcyonScarlet
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

All those blood sweat and tears going into Nintendos re-releases. :-S

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HalcyonScarlet
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Didn't cows say Sunset Overdrive sucks and is a pile of garbage? So why would it sell well?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

This is very cool of Sony, MS may follow suit, Nintendo... will not.

Still can't compete with the amount of free games on PC though.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: You've got a weird view on what rage is.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gym_lion said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@Pedro said:

Didn't cows say Sunset Overdrive sucks and is a pile of garbage? So why would it sell well?

It certainly wasn't the same quality as Resistance, Ratchet or Spider-man. Someone at Microsoft should have stepped in and told them that the game was cringe. Instead old Philly boy told them it looked great. He also green lit other flops like Quantum Break, Recore, Bleeding Edge, etc. The man has no eye for good games. He's out of touch with the market.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@vfighter: I think it is just you.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

It certainly wasn't the same quality as Resistance, Ratchet or Spider-man. Someone at Microsoft should have stepped in and told them that the game was cringe. Instead old Philly boy told them it looked great. He also green lit other flops like Quantum Break, Recore, Bleeding Edge, etc. The man has no eye for good games. He's out of touch with the market.

The same quality as one of the most generic and boring FPS to ever come out on the PS? If I were you I wouldn't use Resistance and quality in the same sentence since it was mediocre at best.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag

@kingtito said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

The same quality as one of the most generic and boring FPS to ever come out on the PS? If I were you I wouldn't use Resistance and quality in the same sentence since it was mediocre at best.

Resistance was awesome. Much better than 343's crappy attempts at Halo.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@kingtito said:

No it wasn't but I can't expect a fanatic such as yourself to be objective. I played and it was as average as can be. Absolutely nothing remarkable about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Sony is many things, but "generous" isn't a word I would use to describe a corporate conglomerate. If giving away free games where all that mattered, you could say Epic games is the most "generous" gaming company in the industry, and we all know that's not the case.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@kingtito said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

But Sunset Overdrive has a similar metacritic score to the Resistance games. And the Resistance games score in the same ballpark as "343's crappy attamps at Halo".

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@sts106mat said:

This is just sad now.

Its cows, so its always been sad.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HalcyonScarlet

@i_p_daily said:
@sts106mat said:

This is just sad now.

Its cows, so its always been sad.

I lol'd.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

You seem to work for Sony.

Please tell me why R&C still runs at a poor 30fps on PS5. I thought Sony were going to support their PS4 titles better on PS5. It should run better on this hardware.

Take these questions back to your leaders and report back.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

Meanwhile on PC...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic: Sony should be "generous" and offer MP modes in at least HALF of its games so people aren't paying for NOTHING.

Sony should be generous and offer as many games through PS+ as MS does through Gold.

How come Sony is being a tight arse on those?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Sony should be "generous" and offer MP modes in at least HALF of its games so people aren't paying for NOTHING.

Sony should be generous and offer as many games through PS+ as MS does through Gold.

How come Sony is being a tight arse on those?

You mean, Last of Us 2? The 30 hour single player game that's been winning GOTY all over the place? Seems like people have been enjoying it 😉

Sony's been rocking it with PS+. Not sure what world you live in lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

You mean, Last of Us 2? The 30 hour single player game that's been winning GOTY all over the place? Seems like people have been enjoying it 😉

Sony's been rocking it with PS+. Not sure what world you live in lol.

PS+ have been rocking it so hard that the only thing you have been talking about is GamePass. 😂

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic: Im sorry does the LOU2 have MP? Um no, neither does 99% of Sony's first party lineup, but they charge the same as MS for it and provide way less.

But hey don't let me stop you from your drunk posting, i mean you couldn't be posting that while sober as that would make you look stupid.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

I’m legit mad about this. Now when everybody sees my ps5 they’ll think i bought it for free games. Sony should know I have an image to keep. Honestly we should sue.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidGame_basic

@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Im sorry does the LOU2 have MP? Um no, neither does 99% of Sony's first party lineup, but they charge the same as MS for it and provide way less.

But hey don't let me stop you from your drunk posting, i mean you couldn't be posting that while sober as that would make you look stupid.

Someone is upset that a single player game is getting all of the accoloades and winning the hearts of gamers!

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Seems like lemmings see the future. When Microsoft is only remembered for finishing off the corpse like Bethesda.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

To be fair, Sony games drop in value really quickly. They're giving these games away because nobody is buying them anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic: Someone is deflecting to try and avoid the question.

So why does Sony charge you for MP and do very little themselves? Can you answer that little moo moo, or are you going to deflect again???

And why doesn't Sony give as many or more games per month than MS???

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidGame_basic

@i_p_daily: it's pretty well known that PS Plus offers far superior titles than Games for Gold. It's not even up for debate.

Sony makes highly regarded games that are highly praised..the only game that MS has that gets the same level of talk is Forza Horizon 4, which came out in Sept 2018 😆

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic

@Planeforger said:

To be fair, Sony games drop in value really quickly. They're giving these games away because nobody is buying them anymore.

Are most games on GamePass 'giveaways' then?