How come Mario Video Games always gets 10 ?

• 155 results
Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

@Micropixel said:

Someone didn't do their research on Mario scores before making this thread, lol.

Seriously.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#52 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xsuperskylerx said:

@Jacanuk:

Do you like to race? You have Mario Kart

Do you like to fight? You have Smash Bros

Do you like to jump? You have Mario Odyssey

Do you like to explore? You have Zelda Breath of the Wild

Mario can also play sports. Tennis, hoops.

Nintendo has it all.

lol nice joke there :)

You got to give him credit for trying and trying REALLY hard.

Yup credit where credit is due , he did try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo do what others don't.

that is rehashing 80s franchise over and over and over again.

they only make kiddy games anyways. my kids will grow up playing nintendo games since i wont let them play mature shooters.

Says the Doom guy? a genre that literally pumps out rehashes on a yearly basis?

Doom rehash release every year? on where? mars? jupiter? certainly not on earth.

I should of said FPS games in general, not Doom specifically. You get the point.

Far more churned out shooter rehashes than 3D platformers ;)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo do what others don't.

that is rehashing 80s franchise over and over and over again.

they only make kiddy games anyways. my kids will grow up playing nintendo games since i wont let them play mature shooters.

Says the Doom guy? a genre that literally pumps out rehashes on a yearly basis?

Doom rehash release every year? on where? mars? jupiter? certainly not on earth.

I should of said FPS games in general, not Doom specifically. You get the point.

Far more churned out shooter rehashes than 3D platformers ;)

open world action games are now getting more rehash these days.

we may get bad FPS but we get good FPS games too.

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@indzman said:

Awww not even DOOM, Stalker, Metro???

not until they become mature.

Careful, now. You might keep them playing only Nintendo games for so long that they value high quality and engaging gameplay. By the time you deem them "mature" enough to play your games, they may have surpassed you in it and realized how colossally immature it is to equate an "M" rating with actual maturity.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

It's not a problem, just laughable claiming to have "played something" when in reality that could be 5 minutes at a friends or a shop without any investment, with a mindset of already hating everything about the console.

not my problem, not yours, just sad either way.

Oh my. When someone's view doesn't fall in line with yours they must be lying. LMAO. Oh my indeed. Again, that's your problem not mine. Don't let my stance make you loose sleep. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Pedro said:
@MBirdy88 said:

It's not a problem, just laughable claiming to have "played something" when in reality that could be 5 minutes at a friends or a shop without any investment, with a mindset of already hating everything about the console.

not my problem, not yours, just sad either way.

Oh my. When someone's view doesn't fall in line with yours they must be lying. LMAO. Oh my indeed. Again, that's your problem not mine. Don't let my stance make you loose sleep. :)

It's not I assure you.

All this started because I found it hilarious that you are crying about PC Elitests comparing XB1X , and you have such a negative stance on the Switch's "Shitty hardware".

If you can't see the fun in tazering you about this laughable double standard, well then no worries. I'l still point it out every time you cry about PC gamers bashing Xbots desperately seeking "Equivalency"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Pedro

@MBirdy88 said:
@Pedro said:

It's not I assure you.

All this started because I found it hilarious that you are crying about PC Elitests comparing XB1X , and you have such a negative stance on the Switch's "Shitty hardware".

If you can't see the fun in tazering you about this laughable double standard, well then no worries. I'l still point it out every time you cry about PC gamers bashing Xbots desperately seeking "Equivalency"

Its not? I find that interesting. Here you are complaining about my stance in another thread in this thread and you are saying that my stance isn't causing you to loose sleep? Your responses seems to indicate to the contrary. The Switch hardware is shitty, that something you got to live with. Don't pretend that its not. Don't pretend that future software for the system is not in question because of its hardware. But here we are in a thread about Mario discussing the shit hardware because my comment has ruffled your jimmies to the point that you can't let it go and to the point where I must not own a Switch. This is golden. I am glad I am in your thoughts so often. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#59  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

This Nintendo bias talk is one of the most silly arguments in SW. So it just happens that the vast majority of reviewers in the world have a bias out of nostalgia? And this apparently goes on for decades, like, several generations of players are brain washed by Nintendo and their overrated games. Must be some magical shit going on, or mind control. Ridiculous.

You don't like it? Fine. Not every game is for everyone, not even 10/10 games.

In my case I can say I've played Mario World on the SNES for a couple of weeks when I was a kid, loved it but that was Nintendo for me until I was 27 years, or so. Nintendo was non existent for me as a gamer. Had my PC, Xbox or PS, I wouldn't even bother to read a review of a Nintendo game. Just couldn't care. Never even owned a Nintendo console until the day my mother-in-law offered me a Wii and my brother-in-law gave me Galaxy 2. I don't even know if I was capable of hiding my lack of enthusiasm for both console and game. But I can say that I was floored by that game. I've never played nothing like that, I didn't even knew that kind of joy could be delivered by a game. This when I was approaching my 30s. Fast forward to the Wii U, I didn't even bother getting 3d World, but played Mario64 for the first time and loved it (this now well in my 30s). And now Odyssey.

Then a bunch of morons keeps telling me that I'm wrong. That the only reason I love a game is because of nostalgia for something that is just a side note on my more than 30 years as a gamer. Seriously guys, get your heads out of your arses. Stop pretending you know what drives others.

OK... Sorry, back to system wars.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#60 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I only know of 2 out of the plethora of Mario games to get a 10. The reason the games get such high scores is because their developers are amazing developers and they will not release them until they are polished and truly ready to be released. The level design and gameplay of the games are exceptional and are often what other develops try to mimic with their games.

@Jacanuk May I ask how you know you will never like a Nintendo game? That seems kind of closed minded to me. Nobody knows what games they may release in the future, but you already made your mind up about them. I don't understand that logic I guess. Oh well, to each their own I suppose.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Pedro said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@Pedro said:

It's not I assure you.

Its not? I find that interesting. Here you are complaining about my stance in another thread in this thread and you are saying that my stance isn't causing you to loose sleep? Your responses seems to indicate to the contrary. The Switch hardware is shitty, that something you got to live with. Don't pretend that its not. Don't pretend that future software for the system is not in question because of its hardware. But here we are in a thread about Mario discussing the shit hardware because my comment has ruffled your jimmies to the point that you can't let it go and to the point where I must not own a Switch. This is golden. I am glad I am in your thoughts so often. :)

Nice reflection, I like to argue with hypocrits, but losing sleep?

Just calling you out on BS.

the DS/3DS had crap hardware, and are archiac compared to phones, still did really well.

It's almost as if Faux-4k doesn't matter.

We are arguring in this thread because you go into EVERY nintendo thread, for someone with "no horse in the race" you make a damn good effort to obsess over it.

Pot calling kettle black as the night.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Pedro

@MBirdy88 said:

Nice reflection, I like to argue with hypocrits, but losing sleep?

Just calling you out on BS.

the DS/3DS had crap hardware, and are archiac compared to phones, still did really well.

It's almost as if Faux-4k doesn't matter.

We are arguring in this thread because you go into EVERY nintendo thread, for someone with "no horse in the race" you make a damn good effort to obsess over it.

Pot calling kettle black as the night.

Oh, now the DS/3DS is a benchmark for home consoles. News to me. You really trying hard to bend reality for your future uncertain console. The loyalty is admirable, hopefully Nintendo sees and appreciate your dedication.

I go into every Nintendo thread. LOL. I hope you know what EVERY means since you caps it. But the real reason we are having this discussion is because you are perturbed by my comments and continue to be. You just can't let go the strange power my mere letters on screen have on you. You have become strangely obsessive with me to the point that you are tracking me in most threads. I am thoroughly flattered but you need to get over me. I know its hard when I shit on your piece of shit hardware, its not personal, its the system wars. :)

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Pedro said:

I know its hard when I am shit on

That seems like a personal problem

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because Nintendo realizes what "polish" is.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

They don't always get 10s?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jacanuk

@iambatman7986 said:

I only know of 2 out of the plethora of Mario games to get a 10. The reason the games get such high scores is because their developers are amazing developers and they will not release them until they are polished and truly ready to be released. The level design and gameplay of the games are exceptional and are often what other develops try to mimic with their games.

@Jacanuk May I ask how you know you will never like a Nintendo game? That seems kind of closed minded to me. Nobody knows what games they may release in the future, but you already made your mind up about them. I don't understand that logic I guess. Oh well, to each their own I suppose.

Well, of course i can't 100% say that i never will like a Nintendo game, since they could change tracks but the chance of that is so slim that i have no problem in saying never.

But up until now the style and kind of gameplay Nintendo has, does not appeal to me, it´s simply to "toy like" , i am into more mature games. And i don't mean any offense to people who do enjoy Nintendo games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Well, of course i can't 100% say that i never will like a Nintendo game, since they could change tracks but the chance of that is so slim that i have no problem in say never.

But up until now the style and kind of gameplay Nintendo has, does not appeal to me, it´s simply to "toy like" , i am into more mature games. And i don't mean any offense to people who do enjoy Nintendo games.

Damn, missed opportunity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Do they? I know some of the 3D Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and recently Super Mario Odyssey have gotten critical acclaim reaching 10/10 scores but I don't think Super Mario 3D World did. The New Super Mario Bros. games get pretty alright reviews but I don't think they've ever hit 10/10.

I guess people just like them. You would have to ask the individual reviewers why they prefer Mario games over other platformers. The Mario games are well made and designed with the absolute intent of being fun to play and control right down to simple movement. It has been a philosophy carried throughout the games since Super Mario 64. They are always well polished and an engaging interactive experience is really accessible right when the games are turned on.

Naturally, not everyone is into the Mario games. It of course comes down to preference, and I am sure you could find many critics who would prefer a good Ratchet & Clank or Sonic the Hedgehog game instead. Those games are rather different to the Mario games too. It's not so easy to compare them like for like.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Either the games deserve it or not.

Xsuperskylerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Xsuperskylerx
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

@Jacanuk:

I like PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo. I like new games and old games. I like all games. You should try the games I mentioned. They are super fun.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

@phbz said:

This Nintendo bias talk is one of the most silly arguments in SW. So it just happens that the vast majority of reviewers in the world have a bias out of nostalgia? And this apparently goes on for decades, like, several generations of players are brain washed by Nintendo and their overrated games. Must be some magical shit going on, or mind control. Ridiculous.

You don't like it? Fine. Not every game is for everyone, not even 10/10 games.

In my case I can say I've played Mario World on the SNES for a couple of weeks when I was a kid, loved it but that was Nintendo for me until I was 27 years, or so. Nintendo was non existent for me as a gamer. Had my PC, Xbox or PS, I wouldn't even bother to read a review of a Nintendo game. Just couldn't care. Never even owned a Nintendo console until the day my mother-in-law offered me a Wii and my brother-in-law gave me Galaxy 2. I don't even know if I was capable of hiding my lack of enthusiasm for both console and game. But I can say that I was floored by that game. I've never played nothing like that, I didn't even knew that kind of joy could be delivered by a game. This when I was approaching my 30s. Fast forward to the Wii U, I didn't even bother getting 3d World, but played Mario64 for the first time and loved it (this now well in my 30s). And now Odyssey.

Then a bunch of morons keeps telling me that I'm wrong. That the only reason I love a game is because of nostalgia for something that is just a side note on my more than 30 years as a gamer. Seriously guys, get your heads out of your arses. Stop pretending you know what drives others.

OK... Sorry, back to system wars.

Agreed. My first Nintendo console was the N64 when I was 24 or 25 and I didn't even like SM64 much, then there was the Gamecube with Sunshine, which I didn't like at all. After that of course was the Wii, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Galaxy. The controls were tighter than SM64 (not referring to the motion part of it) and the level design was like no other platformer I'd ever played. It was so creative and worked brilliantly. Galaxy 2 was excellent, even though for me, it didn't feel as fresh as the first one. 3D Land was solid too, but then 3D World ended up being my favourite out of all of them. Now we've got Odyssey, which I haven't played yet, but it's clear that they've changed things up again and it's worked.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jacanuk

@xsuperskylerx said:

@Jacanuk:

I like PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo. I like new games and old games. I like all games. You should try the games I mentioned. They are super fun.

I have tried them, i even have a WiiU and i still didn't enjoy them

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pedro

@metalboi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xsuperskylerx said:

@Jacanuk:

So quit gaming and find a new hobby.

LOL. Because someone doesn't like Nintendo games they should quit gaming? LOL. Nintendo fanboys are the best. The good ole Nintendo bias in full form.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jacanuk

@metalboi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xsuperskylerx said:

@Jacanuk:

So quit gaming and find a new hobby.

Why would i quit gaming?

Just because i don´t enjoy Nintendo games, does not mean i don´t enjoy gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Pedro

@metalboi said:

@Pedro: Did that comment offend you?

Why would it when it was aimed at someone else? Strange deflect.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Pedro

@metalboi said:
@Pedro said:
@metalboi said:

Yet it still got under your skin. Mission complete.

Wuht? How? Its funny. LOL. You have to try much much harder to get "under my skin". You don't even know how to play the troll game correctly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro

@metalboi said:
@Pedro said:
@metalboi said:
@Pedro said:
@metalboi said:

Yet it still got under your skin. Mission complete.

Wuht? How? Its funny. LOL. You have to try much much harder to get "under my skin". You don't even know how to play the troll game correctly.

It got you to bite, little fishy.

Ok.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Compared to Mario games, Ratchet and Clank is like a 7 / 8 series. I played that remaster of Ratchet and Clank not too long ago and the level design and platforming is just not great. It's more like a third person shooter with platforming in it.

And Wasdie is right, most Mario games did not get a 10. The exceptionally good ones got a 10.

Xsuperskylerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Xsuperskylerx
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

@KungfuKitten:

Yes I do not understand why people HATE Mario. Mario is just FUN. I love playstion 4 but Knack is trying to be like Mario and that game SUCKS.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@indzman: I've never played a R+C or sly Cooper game that came within a mile of odyssey.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@jumpaction said:

Do they? I know some of the 3D Mario games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and recently Super Mario Odyssey have gotten critical acclaim reaching 10/10 scores but I don't think Super Mario 3D World did. The New Super Mario Bros. games get pretty alright reviews but I don't think they've ever hit 10/10.

None of the New Super Mario Bros. games ever received a 10/10 at GameSpot. Their games ranged from 7/10 (New Super Mario Bros. 2) to 9/10 (New Super Mario Bros.). 3D World received a 9/10 from GameSpot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#87 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
  • They don't always get 10s
  • When they get 10s, they deserve them
PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Genesis does what Nintendon't.....such as fail as a company, license out all IP's or stop making decent games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Well like many have pointed out, a lot of Mario games don't. But if you want to see why certain Mario games got a 10 from certain reviewers, then just read/watch their reviews. Or play the games for yourself and come to your own conclusion.

It's just a number lol. Doesn't mean anything concrete. Might as well be asking "Why do people have opinions?".

Anyways, I'm sure most major points have been covered already, but here's another one to consider. This industry absolutely fucking sucks at using the full scale. It's been trivialized to the point of being damn near worthless as a frame of reference. It's an industry where gamers and "critics" alike see a 6/10 as being borderline garbage, and anything below it is just plain garbage. An industry that mostly uses 7-9 and occasionally drops a 10. An industry that hands out 9s like candy to an endless line of largely unimpressive games, to the point where even 7s and 8s are viewed as questionable purchases to some.

So is it really surprising at all to see great games get a 10 on such a busted and top heavy scale?

The best Mario games tend to nail many important video gaming elements. Great mechanics and controls. Outstanding level design. Tons of variety and of such a quality that entire games could be created from some of the ideas that they introduce, toy with, and then discard as if it were nothing. A wide appeal difficulty curve that is inviting to the most novice of players while also accommodating veteran players. All of this in content packed games that are ridiculously polished on day 1. Wrap those qualities up in the charm of a great art style and musical score and you have yourself a winner.

So again, is it really shocking? In an industry where even busted and mediocre games can get 8s and 9s all day, that a game like that can get a 10? I don't think so.

Personally, Odyssey is a strong 9/10 for me. Superb game, but a few things did weigh on my enjoyment. Last Mario game I would have given a 10/10 to is SMG2.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@PCgameruk said:

Graphics , sound, gameplay 60fps they're relased perfect to play. Not broken and need shit loads of patches at release.

That used to apply, not so much anymore. BotW's framerate on release was far from ideal, and a far cry from the polish that Nintendo is so well known for, that it required numerous patches to get it up to running in its usual release state.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@metalboi said:

Because it's always better than Final Fantasy games.

NO. Even if President of US says it, i don't care lol

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

That used to apply, not so much anymore. BotW's framerate on release was far from ideal, and a far cry from the polish that Nintendo is so well known for, that it required numerous patches to get it up to running in its usual release state.

True. I grabbed the WiiU version initially, and whilst I could overlook performance, because the game was downright amazing, it was still pretty irksome.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#93 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Because Mario is that good.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#94 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@indzman said:
@metalboi said:

ffxv is garbage

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@indzman said:
@metalboi said:

ffxv is garbage

Do i seem like a guy who gives a shit about what some random online user says trash about FF XV?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Overrating series for me deserve 9 for sure but 10 not fo me

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#97  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've played every major Mario release since 1985. Yeah they're that good. In the 80's the world was bonkers for Nintendo. I remember leading up to Mario 3 on the NES people were going nuts for it. I had to of played through Mario 3 50 times.

I don't have a Switch yet or Mario Odyssey. I'm holding out until Metroid Prime 4 is released. I actually like Metroid more then Mario. If it weren't for Mario I probably wouldn't still be playing games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

They do deserve it, which is why 3D Mario is my favourite franchise. Great level design, visuals, sound, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#99 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@MirkoS77: To be fair I don't remember playing an open world game where I've played 100+ and didn't find a single bug. But yes, even after being patched the frame rate still has some issues.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#100 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@indzman: You too? C'mon man...

@Jacanuk said:

It´s the Nintendo effect.

All critics seem to have a sore spot for any Nintendo game which i suspect is partly the nostalgic and partly because there is so much generic shit games coming out that when they finally release a Mario or Zelda game it stands out.

Wow! The same here as you are in PG.