How can you honestly say... (56k)

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

How can you honestly say that Halo 3 looks like Halo 2?

Halo 2:

Halo 3:

FancyKetchup25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FancyKetchup25
Member since 2006 • 3007 Posts
I think th problem is Halo 2 was already a graphically good game, so its hard to improve much, also the nature of halo is a game that isent really meant to look super photo realistic, so its sort of hard to distinguish having a major graphical improvement.
napkincard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 napkincard
Member since 2004 • 1046 Posts
I can honestly say that in motion Halo 3 looks like Halo 2.
VScalar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VScalar
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
Similar art styles lead to that impression.  It isn't like they jumped to cell-shading, so they should look similar.  As for graphical fidelity, I doubt they are similar at all, but I'll find out later this week.
SunLord592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SunLord592
Member since 2003 • 2651 Posts
halo 3 does resemble halo 2, in some bits, but non the less it will be a great game. seeing the game-play vids up these days the game looks promising
NickyJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NickyJD
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts

I can honestly say that in motion Halo 3 looks like Halo 2. napkincard

Wait for single player footage, 1UP have seen it and were very impressed.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Halo has always looked like Halo, just better textures and effects.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
i forget who said it, but someone on this forum once said that Halo's art style was more simplistic and clean cut than an extremely detailed game like say GeOW. There's a bit of a difference, but the difference is really only better lighting and some higher res textures.
Ganon_919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ganon_919
Member since 2007 • 2016 Posts
Damn it, my mouse must be broken. I swear everytime I click on a link, it takes me to the stickied Halo 3 topic... :x
Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thebettertwin
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts

Hot_Potato

you cant unless youre a jealous cow/sheep

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#12 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I can't see a major difference, but Halo 3 does look better.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Yeah it looks way better

whitewater_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whitewater_81
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

[QUOTE="napkincard"]I can honestly say that in motion Halo 3 looks like Halo 2. NickyJD

LAwL.I applaud people like you who still beleives in 1UP. :lol:

napkincard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 napkincard
Member since 2004 • 1046 Posts

[QUOTE="napkincard"]I can honestly say that in motion Halo 3 looks like Halo 2. NickyJD

since most people are buying the game for its online replay value I was comparing the multiplayer gameplay footage and the two games look the same.
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
[QUOTE="NickyJD"]

[QUOTE="napkincard"]I can honestly say that in motion Halo 3 looks like Halo 2. napkincard

since most people are buying the game for its online replay value I was comparing the multiplayer gameplay footage and the two games look the same.

They look nothing alike gameplay or visually.  The only thing that is the same is the artstyle but the graphics are better than even gears texture and lighting wise.

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts
Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#18 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts

Hot_Potato
I think you would if you compared those shots on 2 32" LCD TV's from 10 meters away.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
Halo 3 is leaps and bound above its predecessor, end of story.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.el_rika

Halo 3's cutscenes will be perfect.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
It looks great.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deepdreamer256
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]

Thebettertwin

*mumble* an ignorant lemming
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
Are you for or against the 360....by the pics you posted, I can't tell.:shock:
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]

deepdreamer256

Nah hes right.  You can say you dont like the graphics or dont think they are on par with what you were expecting but its idiotic to say its got the same visuals as Halo 2. 

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 el_rika

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.Bansheesdie

How do you know that ?

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ragrdoll21
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="Thebettertwin"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]

justforlotr2004

Nah hes right.  You can say you dont like the graphics or dont think they are on par with what you were expecting but its idiotic to say its got the same visuals as Halo 2. 

By those pics, it looks close but the game isn't done yet so let us wait.
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.el_rika

How do you know that ?

Well they do have many proclaimed CGI artist working on it from people like Weta works and others like that. 

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Man, get that dev-shot nonsense out of here. Bring on....TEH JAGGIEZ!!!!  (make sure you right click->view image for full effect :wink: )

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 el_rika
[QUOTE="el_rika"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.justforlotr2004

How do you know that ?

Well they do have many proclaimed CGI artist working on it from people like Weta works and others like that. 

What else have they been doing ? I mean these guys, what games have they been working on in the past....i haven't heard of them.

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 justforlotr2004

Man, get that dev-shot nonsense out of here. Bring on....TEH JAGGIEZ!!!! (make sure you right click->view image for full effect :wink: )
Teufelhuhn

Oh nose the crappy still images are the representations!!!1!

I seriously hope your joking in trying to use those.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]Man, get that dev-shot nonsense out of here. Bring on....TEH JAGGIEZ!!!! (make sure you right click->view image for full effect :wink: )
justforlotr2004

Hmmm...no jaggies in the pictures Bungie gives us, jaggies in the pictures of the actual game.  I wonder which one is the better representation of how the game actually looks?
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

you're joking right?

besides the first one for halo 3, which was obviously polished in photoshop or whatever, they all look the same. 

greg_splicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 greg_splicer
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

Have they got impressions on the single player ? IS it in final form ?

And most importantly, do you have a link ??? :)

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deepdreamer256
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="Thebettertwin"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"]

justforlotr2004

Nah hes right. You can say you dont like the graphics or dont think they are on par with what you were expecting but its idiotic to say its got the same visuals as Halo 2.

Well it's got better textures and all-around technical graphics, but it's still the same concept from the looks of things. And I don't really know how you could say it looks better than GoW (one of your earlier posts) either.
Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts

i dont think x360 can handle games well in open environments. They better stick with Doom like style graphics or the real x360 hardware limitations will further be exposed.

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="justforlotr2004"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]Man, get that dev-shot nonsense out of here. Bring on....TEH JAGGIEZ!!!! (make sure you right click->view image for full effect :wink: )
Teufelhuhn

Hmmm...no jaggies in the pictures Bungie gives us, jaggies in the pictures of the actual game. I wonder which one is the better representation of how the game actually looks?

or how about the ACTUAL GAME that gives us NO JAGGIES.  What an idiotic comment, dont make a fool of yourself just drop it. 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Aside from the significant technical upgrade... they look exactly the same... :|

Why would anyone want to play a game that looks completely different from the previous iteration?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.el_rika

How do you know that ?

Here's is what Bungie.net's content guy had to say about Halo 3's cinematics... (Long Read)

CJ Cowan, our cinematics director, sends me the following enigmatic message: "If you have a moment, come and see the new coolness." I kicked myself down the stairs, Sparta-style, and rolled up to his desk to see some recent cinematics passes. I'd sort of forgotten about them, since they've been crunching hard and quietly, and literally in a far corner of the studio. The progress is impressive, to say the least.

With Halo 3, as with halo 2 and 1, we're using the actual engine for cinematics. It's a conscious decision based on a simple philosophy - don't yank the player out of the game, and dazzle them with graphics that are alien to their gameplay experience. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite cinematics ever do exactly that, and in my opinion, successfully - Final Fantasy, DOA, Tekken even, all use high quality CG renders to display their cinematics. And the results are fantastic. They propel narrative and they're a reward for completing gameplay tasks.

In Halo 3 though, we made a deliberate and difficult choice. Believe it or not, it would in some ways have been easier to just storyboard this and hand it off to someone like Digital Domain to render into CG. Instead, we took the harder and seemingly counterintuitive route so that our Cinematics will blend, as seamlessly as possible with our gameplay.

Now for confession time: In Halo 2, we simply didn't have the time or resources to make the cinematics the way we wanted them to be. They were compromised by deadlines and resources and while the results were heroic and herculean achievements of hard work and talent, they simply weren't as polished or pretty as we wanted them to be. This time, no hurdles got in our way. Cinematics has had all the lovin' it needs.

For starters, there's a bigger team, a team that has had the final cinematic script for much longer, and now has access to vastly more tools, resources and technology than ever before. These range from new tools for rigging facial animation, to better lighting and camera controls. Most of the improvements are a solid blend of technology and manpower this time around, and we hope the fruits of that labor end up as succulent as they look now.

Seeing Sergeant Johnson's face in the Halo 3 cinematics (there are differences in detail and post-processing effects) is a revelation. Using tools on site, our cinematics guys are able to achieve not only proper lip-syncing, but easily rig facial expressions too. In Halo 2, some of that was actually handled by programmers, including Sgt. Johnson's, and I quote, "Amorous" permutation in the tank delivery scene in Halo 2. Now, there's a running gag in game development called, "Programmer Art" where a programmer puts in some placeholder art until an artist can get to it. Bur programmer emotion? Surely that's pushing some sort of envelope?

Well this time the emotions and lighting are being handled by a team of 35 animators and cinematics guys only. And they're not scrubs. We have folks who've worked on movies like Shrek, King Kong, Gollum from LOTR and more. So, no compromises. It will still look like game engine (with the aforementioned enhancements, like depth of field and higher levels of detail) but it's just going to be better.

Dialog is all recorded and implemented, but seeing the properly modeled and animated characters speaking it is a breath of fresh air. Recent builds have had low-res, unlit heads with broken necks speaking the lines, or worse, the line being automatically recited by a robot speech synthesizer. It's actually pretty sophisticated until it tries to parse the word, "Mmmmhmm."

Perhaps more enticingly, I watched storyboard and cinematics cheery, chirpy, cockney -blam!-parrow, Lee Wilson lighting a familiar character who never, ever looked so good. Too good in fact. "Yeah, guv'nor," says Lee in his jarring Pygmalionesque pidgin, "She ort to 'ave 'er shaders fixed, or she don't arf look nude. I don't mind the raspberry ripples meself, but Mrs. Wilson would 'ave a roight fit."

And right behind him, Dorje, one of our amazingly talented artists, was putting the finishing touches to the skybox to end all skyboxes. Let's just say it might have something to do with the amazing space battle Kurt Nellis (a genius who we swiped from ILM) is working on. Everything is starting to look polished and pretty.

That probably goes for the story too, but we would say that. I think the way our cinematics close this chapter of the trilogy will be one of the more memorable aspects of Halo 3, and put the bookends on a Campaign game that's becoming something special.

e20Dylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 e20Dylan
Member since 2007 • 1055 Posts
there really isnt a big difference graphic wise in these screenshots. im sure the gameplay is different but to say there is a big graphical difference would be a lie. halo3 looks like halo 2
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
there really isnt a big difference graphic wise in these screenshots. im sure the gameplay is different but to say there is a big graphical difference would be a lie. halo3 looks like halo 2e20Dylan
You're ignorance is amusing. To say something on the lines of Halo 3 looks like Halo 2... I mean, that's just plain ludacrous.
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 justforlotr2004

i dont think x360 can handle games well in open environments. They better stick with Doom like style graphics or the real x360 hardware limitations will further be exposed.

GermanShepard06

The only thing thats being exposed is your fanboyism, I didnt mind you at first but now your just getting annoying.   

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="justforlotr2004"]

justforlotr2004

Hmmm...no jaggies in the pictures Bungie gives us, jaggies in the pictures of the actual game. I wonder which one is the better representation of how the game actually looks?

or how about the ACTUAL GAME that gives us NO JAGGIES. What an idiotic comment, dont make a fool of yourself just drop it.

Oh, so the pictures xboxyde took just "made up" the jaggies?  Is that what you're trying to tell me?  Maybe they ran it through a "jaggie filter" in Photoshop.

I guess you're right, we should only go by the pictures that the developers give us, those never lie.  I mean those pictures Bungie just released were 3840 x 2160, so that must mean the game runs in ultra-HD, right?  And we all know Red Steel actually looked like this:

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ragrdoll21
[QUOTE="justforlotr2004"][QUOTE="el_rika"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

How do you know that ?

What else have they been doing ? I mean these guys, what games have they been working on in the past....i haven't heard of them.

Weta is the LOTR(movies) CGI company owned by Peter Jackson...I think.
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="justforlotr2004"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="justforlotr2004"]

Teufelhuhn

or how about the ACTUAL GAME that gives us NO JAGGIES. What an idiotic comment, dont make a fool of yourself just drop it.

Oh, so the pictures xboxyde took just "made up" the jaggies? Is that what you're trying to tell me? Maybe they ran it through a "jaggie filter" in Photoshop.

I guess you're right, we should only go by the pictures that the developers give us, those never lie. I mean those pictures Bungie just released were 3840 x 2160, so that must mean the game runs in ultra-HD, right? And we all know Red Steel actually looked like this:

Oh and I guess the actual gameplay doesnt have any representation of what the actual gameplay looks like eh? The Beta has no Jaggies at all and no framerate issues so you can say what you want but you're just gonna make a fool out of yourself even further.

iwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 iwo4life
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

All of the shots that are taken from actual gameplay look similar to halo2 in HD.  The only shots that look good are those bullshots with no FP gun in the scene which probably don't represent gameplay or are a pre rendered cutscenes or something.

I have downloaded various 720p gamplay videos from the MP beta and they aren't very impressive graphically. The gameplay looks like classic halo and will be fun but anyone trying to hype these graphics is out to lunch.  Not what I was expecting out of a 3rd generation 360 game, even at this stage of development.

It will no doubt get a good score here even if the graphics are dodgy.  Its HYPO er I mean HALO.

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 justforlotr2004
[QUOTE="el_rika"][QUOTE="justforlotr2004"][QUOTE="el_rika"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Hope they have Motion Captured animations this time, especially in the cutscenes, 'cose halo 2's cutscenes had some horrible animations.ragrdoll21

How do you know that ?

Weta is the LOTR(movies) CGI company owned by Peter Jackson...I think.

Yeah they are.

Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
I have to admit there is less difference than I origionally anticipated. Halo 3 looks smoother and all, but at a glance they are easilly mistaken.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Teuf_

Oh and I guess the actual gameplay doesnt have any representation of what the actual gameplay looks like eh? The Beta has no Jaggies at all and no framerate issues so you can say what you want but you're just gonna make a fool out of yourself even further.

justforlotr2004

*shrug*

I guess you just got the real version, while xboxyde downloaded "Halo 3: Jaggie Edition" by mistake.