Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Sauce

It also won the Outstanding Story Achievement award.

DICE awards for anyone who is unaware is the yearly awards where devs and the videogame industry come together to give each other awards. It's not the casual trash like The VideoGame Awards where anyone can vote for the nominees and winners.

That pretty much settles it, HZD is the console graphics king. This award plus the award it got from Digital Foundry pretty much cement it as the best looking game on consoles.

Huge congrats to Sony and GG, winning awards and selling a ton of copies. Sony have another huge new IP on their hands. This is what happens when you focus first on delivering new content to your console, and actually follow through by investing and fostering creativity with your studios. Properly funded and happy devs will always carry your platform to great heights. Take note Phil, this is how you do it, not by closing studios and funding low budget mediocrity like Crackhead 3. All the TFlops in the world won't produce a result if you don't have talented studios taking advantage of the hardware.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@quadknight said:

That pretty much settles it, HZD is the console graphics king. This award plus the award it got from Digital Foundry pretty much cement it as the best looking game on consoles released in 2017.

Was there ever any doubt?

You could argue it's the best looking game period. I find the art and colors absolutely outstanding. The vistas, the environments are breathtaking.

To think we're not even close to achieving the peak in graphics quality. I can only imagine what the future holds.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

Graphics king confirmed!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

Awesome news for Guerrilla. Horizon: Zero Dawn was and is a fun game. Love the Frozen Wild Expansion and here's hoping Guerrilla makes Horizon 2 in the future. (But I like to see Horizon 2 on PS5)

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Awesome news for Guerrilla. Horizon: Zero Dawn was and is a fun game. Love the Frozen Wild Expansion and here's hoping Guerrilla makes Horizon 2 in the future. (But I like to see Horizon 2 on PS5)

I guess I wasn't in the right state of mind when I started the Frozen Wilds. I got bored very quickly and stopped after destroying these weird towers. Just wasn't into it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990: You're not really missing much. It was just something to do if you want to go somewhere new and it's nowhere near as good as let's say Witcher 3's Expansion. It was just something to do and nothing more. The base game is were it's at.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

That pretty much settles it, HZD is the console graphics king. This award plus the award it got from Digital Foundry pretty much cement it as the best looking game on consoles released in 2017.

Was there ever any doubt?

You could argue it's the best looking game period. I find the art and colors absolutely outstanding. The vistas, the environments are breathtaking.

To think we're not even close to achieving the peak in graphics quality. I can only imagine what the future holds.

I agree, I think honestly it’s the best looking game currently out right now. Witcher 3 on PC can achieve better image quality and whatnot but on a purely visual basis I think HZD looks better.

Star Citizen is in Alpha and can be argued to be the most technically impressive game but it’s not in a playable state. There really isn’t any game out there on PC or consoles that can claim to look better than HZD on a visual level.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Juub1990
@quadknight said:

I agree, I think honestly it’s the best looking game currently out right now. Witcher 3 on PC can achieve better image quality and whatnot but on a purely visual basis I think HZD looks better.

Star Citizen is in Alpha and can be argued to be the most technically impressive game but it’s not in a playable state. There really isn’t any game out there on PC or consoles that can claim to look better than HZD on a visual level.

Star Citizen is technically more advanced but I find the sterile look unappealing. The game can look pretty outstanding when looking at sunsets on desert planets but the art style is just kind of bland to me. I suppose it's to be expected, it's a space-faring game and everything in space needs to be neat and sterilized.

Horizon: Zero Dawn strikes the right balance between technical prowess and artistic beauty.

Another game which I find to be stunning is Breath of the Wild. I wanted to test what it looked like in 4K(don't worry, I deleted it) and when I blew it up on my 4K TV and set foot in Hyrule I was honestly blown away. It looks amazing and that's almost entirely due to its artistic merit which trumps technical advancement any day of the week. The game looks really, really, really good. It's personally in my top 5 but I guess it doesn't count.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuadKnight

@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

Star Citizen is technically more advanced but I find the sterile look unappealing. The game can look pretty outstanding when looking at sunsets on desert planets but the art style is just kind of bland to me. I suppose it's to be expected, it's a space-faring game and everything in space needs to be neat and sterilized.

Horizon: Zero Dawn strikes the right balance between technical prowess and artistic beauty.

Another game which I find to be stunning is Breath of the Wild. I wanted to test what it looked like in 4K(don't worry, I deleted it) and when I blew it up on my 4K TV and set foot in Hyrule I was honestly blown away. It looks amazing and that's almost entirely due to its artistic merit which trumps technical advancement any day of the week. The game looks really, really, really good. It's personally in my top 5 but I guess it doesn't count.

Oh, it definitely counts for me. Nintendo 1st party have probably the best artists in the industry followed closely by Sony’s. The Lack of power from their consoles has really made them wizards at using their art to get the most effect from their games. Where Sony’s devs can rely on a bit of power Nintendo are forced to really do everything with their artists. MS would do great if they followed the examples of Sony and Nintendo but for some reason they think relying solely on 3rd party, and throwing more Tflops in their consoles will yield the same results, unfortunately for them it doesn’t.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Outstanding story... haha

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
@freedomfreak said:

I liked the story.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

@Juub1990: I'm sure people did

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@freedomfreak said:

I liked the story.

And me.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Naughty Dog and Guerrilla game always make the best looking games for Sony, I can't wait to see what they have in the works next. The new Last of Us will probably go toe to toe with Red Dead as the new graphics kings.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@Juub1990 said:
@freedomfreak said:

I liked the story.

And me.

I liked it too

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

HZD is like those average/mediocre movies that only get technical awards.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Naughty Dog and Guerrilla game always make the best looking games for Sony, I can't wait to see what they have in the works next. The new Last of Us will probably go toe to toe with Red Dead as the new graphics kings.

Yes movies always look better than real video games!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Movies? People never played it, pathetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Horizon is definitely a beautifull game but recently the SotC Remake took the "best looking game" award for me. The game is simply breathtaking. BP did a great job

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Juub1990: You're not really missing much. It was just something to do if you want to go somewhere new and it's nowhere near as good as let's say Witcher 3's Expansion. It was just something to do and nothing more. The base game is were it's at.

I disagree. I really liked Frozen Wilds. The new machines, even if scarce on new types, were awesome to fight (Scorchers, Frostclaws and Fireclaws are definitely among the best machines in the game). It was also a very challenging expansion, especially at the end when you unlock the Fireclaws, wich are insanely difficult to fight against (Thunderjaws and Stormbirds are child play next to Fireclaws). The Banuk story was kinda the same as the vanilla story but still entertaining to follow their costumes and beliefs.

Overall I would say the expansion was a very nice addition to an already awesome game

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I can't deny how great this game looks, especially when you consider it runs on a potato. Really great job using all sorts of visual tricks to create the illusion of a good looking game. Incredibly talented dev team.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Does this mean graphics king changes every year with the awards?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Absolutely well deserved. Horizon deserves the console graphics king title. Such a great game...

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Deserved. It's easily the best looking game i have ever seen!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Great for those artists and programmers.

Wake me up when it wins a awards for its gameplay (in before "game of the year" LOL)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Horizon does look amazing but I still think Witcher 3 on PS4 looks better

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@MBirdy88: No...and that's why it surprised everyone. It looks amazing, plays even better and has fantastic story and lore.

No one expected a game this good and feature packed, especially coming from a previously ok company like Guerrilla.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

The game does look stunning and I've read an article on Kotaku about the techniques used by the devs to render the game and it's an impressive feat! Congrats to GG and Sony. This is by far the only title that interests me on PS4 and had I had one it would be the first game I would buy on it.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@quadknight said:

True, I have the exact same problem with Star Citizen, the art style looks extremely bland, almost reminds me of the gray shooters of last gen. Back on topic, congrats to GG, they really have done an outstanding job.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@Vatusus: yeah. The Fire Claw really kick my butt lol. I had to burn my ammos against them and they were non stop attacking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Cuphead won 3 awards, must be a better game then LOL.

What a joke these awards are just like the rest, best racing game Mario Kart ROFL.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

Horizon does look amazing but I still think Witcher 3 on PS4 looks better

Witcher 3 can look fabulous on PC with texture and LOD mods, but I don't think the PS4 version looks better than HZD. Environmental textures, water effects, and character animations are all mediocre. Having said that, Witcher does have more impressive looking environments (tall mountains, thick forests, etc.)

You can also excuse TW3 for some of its technical shortcomings when you consider the game's scale. It has nearly 3x as much content as HZD and the game world is substantially bigger.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By QuadKnight

@i_p_daily said:

What a joke these awards are just like the rest, best racing game Mario Kart ROFL.

Dat salt.

The DICE Award >>>>>>>>>>> your own shitty fanboy opinion.

Not a single 1st party MS game won an award and I'm sure it makes you upset. MS Studios are a joke and so is MS in the games industry.

All the "Highest quality pixels" and "True power" talk and the game that with the best graphics ever on consoles is on the weaker system lol, REKT!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dat salt.

Not a single 1st party MS game won an award and I'm sure it makes you upset. MS Studios are a joke and so is MS in the games industry.

All the "Highest quality pixels" and "True power" talk and the game that wins best graphics is on the weaker system lol, REKT!

So you're saying that Cuphead is a better game then Horizon Zero Dawn, gotcha :)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuadKnight

@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dat salt.

All the "Highest quality pixels" and "True power" talk and the game that wins best graphics is on the weaker system lol, REKT!

So you're saying that Cuphead is a better game then Horizon Zero Dawn, gotcha :)

Nah, I'm saying you're a butthurt fanboy.

Cuphead is a fantastic game and so is Horizon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dat salt.

Nah you even said it yourself DICE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your own shitty fanboy opinion.

Cuphead 3 awards>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HZD 2 awards.

I'm just playing by your rules quack, and beating you with them LOL.

Its always fun owning you quack keep up the bad work :)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By QuadKnight

@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:

Dat salt.

Nah you even said it yourself DICE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your own shitty fanboy opinion.

That's not how it works unless you're intentionally trying to be an idiot.

This thread is a graphics thread and graphics especially technical graphics aren't up for debate. You're comparing apples to oranges and failing.

It can be argued using that same logic that HZD was nominated in more categories and is therefore better but I'm not a clown like you to go that far.

Horizon has won all the major graphics awards from 2017 and you're too much of a butthurt salty fanboy to give it its recognition.

? Cry harder, it won't change the fact that the best looking game right now is on the PS4/PS4 Pro while the FlopBoneX is using mostly budget looking mediocre games like Crackhead 3 to showcase its power.

"? Bu...bu...but muh highest quality uncompromized pixelz!!!11"

?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:

Dat salt.

This thread is a graphics thread and graphics especially technical graphics aren't up for debate. You're comparing apples to oranges and failing.

It can be argued that HZD was nominated in more categories and is therefore better but I'm not a moron like you to go that far.

Horizon has won all the major graphics awards from 2017 and you're too much of a butthurt salty fanboy to give it its recognition.

? Cry harder, it won't change the fact that the best looking game right now is on the PS4/PS4 Pro while the FlopBoneX is using mostly budget looking mediocre games like Crackhead 3 to showcase its power.

?

WOW someone's...

So much so you're having a...

Thanks quack I got what I came for and so much MORE :)

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuadKnight

@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:

It can be argued that HZD was nominated in more categories and is therefore better but I'm not a moron like you to go that far.

?

WOW someone's...

So much so you're having a...

Thanks quack I got what I came for and so much MORE :)

? Says the butthurt clown rushing in to damage control HZD's success.

You're the one having a meltdown in my thread.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

Never ever fall for I_P_Daily's slapstick. The moment I saw who made this thread, I knew he would show up. Daily, you never disappoint me, I should give you a medal ;)

Who am I'm kidding, he's trolling

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dat salt.

All the "Highest quality pixels" and "True power" talk and the game that with the best graphics ever on consoles is on the weaker system lol, REKT!

That guy with the HZD avatar... hes your alt isn't he.

Both using stupid gifs

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By QuadKnight

@MBirdy88: I don’t have or use any alts.

No need to be salty and silly because HZD is winning awards. The game has sold 7.6 million copies, it obviously has many fans, it’s only logical SW will have some HZD fans.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By QuadKnight

@davillain-: ? The dude trolled himself. He came rushing in to downplay and damage control HZD’s award and got owned badly.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#45 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Change "Grammy's" to any Game Awards and this is relevant:

Loading Video...

Hawkeye44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Hawkeye44
Member since 2017 • 237 Posts

@i_p_daily

Cuphead won more awards than Horizon.... LMAO, Nice try:

Lmao, cuphead is only winning Indi awards, it wasn't nominated from any GOTY awards; its easy to win when its competing with farmer games.

Also when was the last time a Microsoft exclusive was nominated for GOTY?

@quadknight

I haven't been here for long but HZD must have caused so much butthurt here like it did on YT.

I remember so many people wanted this to fail, lmao, did they really think a game with massive Robot dinosaurs will fail :D

Just like now, some people actually think an AAA open world Spiderman will fail, :lamo even though it accumulated like 50 million views on the E3 17 trailer alone.

Some fanboys are so delusional.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Horizon will remain the graphics king until GG make a new game.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@KillzoneSnake said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Horizon will remain the graphics king until GG make a new game.

I dunno... Red Dead looks like its a step up from what we have seen from Rockstar.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

It looks great but for my money I still think Battlefront on the X looks the best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hawkeye44 said:

@i_p_daily

Cuphead won more awards than Horizon.... LMAO, Nice try:

Lmao, cuphead is only winning Indi awards, it wasn't nominated from any GOTY awards; its easy to win when its competing with farmer games.

Also when was the last time a Microsoft exclusive was nominated for GOTY?

@quadknight

I haven't been here for long but HZD must have caused so much butthurt here like it did on YT.

I remember so many people wanted this to fail, lmao, did they really think a game with massive Robot dinosaurs will fail :D

Just like now, some people actually think an AAA open world Spiderman will fail, :lamo even though it accumulated like 50 million views on the E3 17 trailer alone.

Some fanboys are so delusional.

Notice the part I put in bold? well look at quacks link, or better yet look below and laugh with me because I didn't know HZD was an indie/farmer game WTF LOL

Outstanding Achievement in Animation

• Cuphead
  • For Honor
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction

• Cuphead
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Little Nightmares
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

As for the last bit I put in bold, well what does Spider-Man and how many views it got on YouTube have to do with ANYTHING in this thread, and you wanna talk delusional fanboy, look in the mirror bud LOL.