Honest non-fanboy question. Why do PS3 exclusives look so amazing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

When you look at the specs, especially the ram I just can't understand how it can produce visuals like we see in KZ3, Uncharted 3 and the God of War series. I mean Sony's 1st party developers must be magicians, or something. Even if the PS4 is only 5-6x more powerful than the PS3 I can only imagine what those same devs can do with the extra horsepower. Is the Cell processor really that great compared to the Xenon when developers take advantage of it?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
better first party talent
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Naughty Dog.

Lol.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emgesp
better first party talentcampzor
Just for shoots and giggles what If Sony's 1st Party Devs were allowed to develop a game strictly on the highest end gaming rig of 2012, how amazing do you think it would look compared to current gen? Final Fantasy Spirits Within level graphics? Let's say they developed exclusively for a PC that had a GTX 680/Intel Ivy CPU and 16GB's of ram and took full advantage of all the power it was capable of.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]better first party talentemgesp
Just for shoots and giggles what If Sony's 1st Party Devs were allowed to develop a game strictly on the highest end gaming rig of 2012, how amazing do you think it would look compared to current gen? Final Fantasy Spirits Within level graphics? Let's say they developed exclusively for a PC that had a GTX 680/Intel Ivy CPU and 16GB's of ram and took full advantage of all the power it was capable of.

It wouldn't really take the magicians in Sony's first party studios to do amazing things with that power. If ANYONE made a game that actually used the full power of a PC like that, it would shatter minds harder than Crysis did in 2007.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Witchcraft.
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts

i think its all about the technology. the developers are good but they cant be omg the best in the world

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Because the games are ultra-linear?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emgesp

i think its all about the technology. the developers are good but they cant be omg the best in the world

planbfreak4eva
Well they are pretty darn skilled for sure. Beyond, The Last of Us and the new God of War look incredible as well. I guess they really are going out with a bang before the launch of the PS4 which I predict will come out no later than early 2014.
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 planbfreak4eva
not all games are meant to be open world and rpg like.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

When you look at the specs, especially the ram I just can't understand how it can produce visuals like we see in KZ3, Uncharted 3 and the God of War series. I mean Sony's 1st party developers must be magicians, or something. Even if the PS4 is only 5-6x more powerful than the PS3 I can only imagine what those same devs can do with the extra horsepower. Is the Cell processor really that great compared to the Xenos when developers take advantage of it?

emgesp

CELL is more than 3x more powerful than Xenon in terms of GFLOPs (CELL: 230 GFLOPS, Xenon: 77 GFLOPS). Also although the RAM is split, which causes problems with development of multiplats, the XDR RAM (that PS3 has 256 MBs of) is extremely fast. Other factor is that every single PS3 has HDD, which allows to program with HDD in mind (Naughty Dog mentioned this in relation with texture streaming).

Sony werent dumb when they decided to invest so heavily into such space tech (CELL) when introducing PS3, they just expected to dominate the market once again so that most developers will develop exclusively on PS3 and maybe then port their games over to xbox (which would be almost impossible - and Sony was hoping to get exclusivity for most of 3rd party games for that reason), but when they screwed the launch, most devs decided to do the opposite - develop for xbox and then port their games to PS3. And thats what the unique PS3 architecture sucks at.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emgesp

Ly_the_Fairy
If the story is solid and the gameplay keeps you on your toes then I see nothing wrong with ultra-linear driven games.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

emgesp

If the story is solid and the gameplay keeps you on your toes then I see nothing wrong with ultra-linear driven games.

I never said there was a problem with that design.

I'm just saying that's why they look good.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emgesp

I didn't realize it was that much more powerful than the Xenon. It's just funny seeing the PS3 struggle with ports like COD when it's visually not even in the same league as KZ3. Too bad developers don't have enough time to properly port games to the PS3.

Killzonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Killzonage
Member since 2012 • 397 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy
LOL OK...
Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Because they try too hard to be cinematic.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It's really just ND, GG and Santa Monica games that look that good. It's budget, time and a case of being highly staffed compared to other studios perhaps.
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emgesp

RogueStatus28
Well it worked because their games look incredible. So, you aren't into games that have a cinematic presentation?
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

It's really just ND, GG and Santa Monica games that look that good. It's budget, time and a case of being highly staffed compared to other studios perhaps. Floppy_Jim

I would add Insomniac and Sucker Punch ! Both Resistance 3 and Infamous 2 look gorgeous !

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts
[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"]

emgesp
Well it worked because their games look incredible. So, you aren't into games that have a cinematic presentation?

That's what movies are for... I played Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and Xenoblade for the gameplay.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Sony's 1st party developers knows the PS3 hardware and knows how to program code for it. Sony must have schooled the hell out of their devs beforehand with their dev kit.

Also, Sony's devs are just better unlike MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Killzonage

LOL OK...

That is a rather large part of why they look so good, less stuff for the hardware to deal with so it can focus its limited power on a smaller amount of stuff look better.

USS_Data

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 USS_Data
Member since 2010 • 543 Posts

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Sony's 1st party developers knows the PS3 hardware and knows how to program code for it. Sony must have schooled the hell out of their devs beforehand with their dev kit.

GamerwillzPS

Our wannabe hermit goes ""MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO""

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

USS_Data

Because you disagree with me?

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#26 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

FFS the 360 can produce visuals that are just as good. Hitman Ab Solution looks better than any PS3 exclusive and it's on 360.

Halo 4 looks just as good as any PS3 exclusive.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Well they look better then the crappy PS multiplats because Sony devs can take all the time and money they need to make that Cell do it's tricks. The funny thing about this gen is that multiplats look at least as good as the exclusives but fanboys can't be admitting that can they? ;)
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#28 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Well they look better then the crappy PS multiplats because Sony devs can take all the time and money they need to make that Cell do it's tricks. The funny thing about this gen is that multiplats look at least as good as the exclusives but fanboys can't be admitting that can they? ;)locopatho

Soooooo f*cking true. Good looking multiplats almost never get mentioned by either faction, unless the game just so happens to be on PC. Hermits arn't afraid to to give the multiplats some love.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 planbfreak4eva

FFS the 360 can produce visuals that are just as good. Hitman Ab Solution looks better than any PS3 exclusive and it's on 360.

Master_ShakeXXX
haha. joke quote of the day?
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emgesp

Master_ShakeXXX
Sorry, but Hitman Absolution doesn't look better than KZ3, God of War 3, or Uncharted 2/3.
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 emgesp
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Well they look better then the crappy PS multiplats because Sony devs can take all the time and money they need to make that Cell do it's tricks. The funny thing about this gen is that multiplats look at least as good as the exclusives but fanboys can't be admitting that can they? ;)

Which third party game looks just as good as God Of War 3, or Killzone 3?
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. GamerwillzPS

It is, But only Margianlly and thats theoretical anyway, The Bottom line is they Both have Strengths and weakness, One thing Halo 4 Proved is that the 360 Can Match the Ps3 in Grphical Fidelity but just like PS3 games it sacrificed Scale to do that, Halo 4 is the best looking Halo to Date, but for me, it was also the most linear, it aslos shows waht you can do with A huge Budget.

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 planbfreak4eva
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. delta3074

It is, But only Margianlly and thats theoretical anyway, The Bottom line is they Both have Strengths and weakness, One thing Halo 4 Proved is that the 360 Can Match the Ps3 in Grphical Fidelity but just like PS3 games it sacrificed Scale to do that, Halo 4 is the best looking Halo to Date, but for me, it was also the most linear, it aslos shows waht you can do with A huge Budget.

do you know how much lower kz3, uc3, and gow3s budget is compared to halo. and with that little budget and 1 year less on the market, it can still show better looking games
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 delta3074

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

When you look at the specs, especially the ram I just can't understand how it can produce visuals like we see in KZ3, Uncharted 3 and the God of War series. I mean Sony's 1st party developers must be magicians, or something. Even if the PS4 is only 5-6x more powerful than the PS3 I can only imagine what those same devs can do with the extra horsepower. Is the Cell processor really that great compared to the Xenos when developers take advantage of it?

BlbecekBobecek

CELL is more than 3x more powerful than Xenon in terms of GFLOPs (CELL: 230 GFLOPS, Xenon: 77 GFLOPS). Also although the RAM is split, which causes problems with development of multiplats, the XDR RAM (that PS3 has 256 MBs of) is extremely fast. Other factor is that every single PS3 has HDD, which allows to program with HDD in mind (Naughty Dog mentioned this in relation with texture streaming).

Sony werent dumb when they decided to invest so heavily into such space tech (CELL) when introducing PS3, they just expected to dominate the market once again so that most developers will develop exclusively on PS3 and maybe then port their games over to xbox (which would be almost impossible - and Sony was hoping to get exclusivity for most of 3rd party games for that reason), but when they screwed the launch, most devs decided to do the opposite - develop for xbox and then port their games to PS3. And thats what the unique PS3 architecture sucks at.

Did you Factor in the basic Fact that A Lot of the rescources from the Cell are used to Carry the RSX, i takes the RSX and 4 of the Ps3's SPU's to match the Xenos in the 360 because The RSX cannot do certain things that the Xenos Can like Texture culling,Tessellation, Unified shading and Add to the Fact that the Xenos can Emulate certain DX10 subroutines that the RSX cannot as well, you also Forgot to Factor in the Lack of useable RAM in the Ps3 due to having a larger OS footprint, it's actually a bit more complicated than how many GFLOPs the CPU's have, Especially when you Factor in the 10MB Edram on the 360 which has a massive 256GB/sec bandwidth.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

USS_Data

Yep, he tends to do that a lot when we have a thread praising the PS3's strengths and advantages...

But when we have a thread praising the 360 strengths and advantages, then he goes "LOL, LOL, consolite casuals. PC gaming master race FTW!" ;)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="locopatho"]Well they look better then the crappy PS multiplats because Sony devs can take all the time and money they need to make that Cell do it's tricks. The funny thing about this gen is that multiplats look at least as good as the exclusives but fanboys can't be admitting that can they? ;)

Which third party game looks just as good as God Of War 3, or Killzone 3?

Crysis, Assassin's Creed, Batman: Arkham, Bioshock, Mass Effect, RAGE, LA Noire, etc etc etc all look as impressive to me as those hyped PS exclusives. Exclusive games like Uncharted and GOW are gorgeous, no doubt, but so are the multiplats I play.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho

[QUOTE="USS_Data"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Rocker6

Yep, he tends to do that a lot when we have a thread praising the PS3's strengths and advantages...

But when we have a thread praising the 360 strengths and advantages, then he goes "LOL, LOL, consolite casuals. PC gaming master race FTW!" ;)

It's just what cows had to do this gen. Hide behind the PC all gen long :P
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. planbfreak4eva

do you know how much lower kz3, uc3, and gow3s budget is compared to halo. and with that little budget and 1 year less on the market, it can still show better looking games

Better looking is debateable, i personall think that Forza Horizon (show me a Ps3 Exclusive that runs 4xMSAA and FXAA in tandem AND holds a steady Framerate in an open world enviroment) and Halo 4 are easily on Par graphically with anything on the Ps3, Even John Carmack sadi himself that he could Create Benchmrks that Show either console is superior to the other and that they where Very similar in power but he Prefers the 360 for it's ease of developement, it was Carmack who ststed that the PS3 was Marginall more powerful than the 360 but you had to swaet bullets to reach that level of theoretical performance.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Art style, level design & color scheme.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
A lot of money is pumped into their first party.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. planbfreak4eva

Did you just said KZ3 ,Uc3 and gow have little budget ? Some of you cows are becoming more pathetic day by day. Also the only joke of the day day here is some cows believing Ps3 exlusives look much better than 360 when in fact both consoles look quite similar ( with probably a very small edge on Ps3 due to 2-3 exclusives looking a bit better ) And to answer your question why they look so good its because when you have a lot of time a huge budget ( just google Kz3 budget if you thing it has a "little" budget which if i remember correctly is around 50 million ) and you are targeting a resolution of 720p or lower and 30fps with a linear game then its not magic nor is TEH space technology of teh cell
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 delta3074
[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="delta3074"]It is, But only Margianlly and thats theoretical anyway, The Bottom line is they Both have Strengths and weakness, One thing Halo 4 Proved is that the 360 Can Match the Ps3 in Grphical Fidelity but just like PS3 games it sacrificed Scale to do that, Halo 4 is the best looking Halo to Date, but for me, it was also the most linear, it aslos shows waht you can do with A huge Budget.adamosmaki

Did you just said KZ3 ,Uc3 and gow have little budget ? Some of you cows are becoming more pathetic day by day. Also the only joke of the day day here is some cows believing Ps3 exlusives look much better than 360 when in fact both consoles look quite similar ( with probably a very small edge on Ps3 due to 2-3 exclusives looking a bit better ) And to answer your question why they look so good its because when you have a lot of time a huge budget ( just google Kz3 budget if you thing it has a "little" budget which if i remember correctly is around 50 million ) and you are targeting a resolution of 720p or lower and 30fps with a linear game then its not magic nor is TEH space technology of teh cell

killzone 2 was 45 million dollars,ironically, Shenmue cot 70 million to produce. http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever/
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 planbfreak4eva
[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="delta3074"]It is, But only Margianlly and thats theoretical anyway, The Bottom line is they Both have Strengths and weakness, One thing Halo 4 Proved is that the 360 Can Match the Ps3 in Grphical Fidelity but just like PS3 games it sacrificed Scale to do that, Halo 4 is the best looking Halo to Date, but for me, it was also the most linear, it aslos shows waht you can do with A huge Budget.adamosmaki

i said much lower budget. and little budget was in contrast to halos budgets.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
in terms of visuals its pretty much PS3 > WiiU > 360 at this point
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 delta3074
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] do you know how much lower kz3, uc3, and gow3s budget is compared to halo. and with that little budget and 1 year less on the market, it can still show better looking gamesplanbfreak4eva

KZ 2= 45 Million, Halo 3 =55 million, how is that 'much' lower? http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever/
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"] Did you just said KZ3 ,Uc3 and gow have little budget ? Some of you cows are becoming more pathetic day by day. Also the only joke of the day day here is some cows believing Ps3 exlusives look much better than 360 when in fact both consoles look quite similar ( with probably a very small edge on Ps3 due to 2-3 exclusives looking a bit better ) And to answer your question why they look so good its because when you have a lot of time a huge budget ( just google Kz3 budget if you thing it has a "little" budget which if i remember correctly is around 50 million ) and you are targeting a resolution of 720p or lower and 30fps with a linear game then its not magic nor is TEH space technology of teh cell

KZ 2= 45 Million, Halo 3 =55 million, how is that 'much' lower? http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-game-budgets-ever/

KZ is competing against Resistance. Halo is 360 only games
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Sony has more tallented first party devs. That said, PS3 exclusives don't look better than the latest 360 ones, like Gears 3, Forza Horizon and Halo 4.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 delta3074
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] i said much lower budget. and little budget was in contrast to halos budgets.PinnacleGamingP

KZ is competing against Resistance. Halo is 360 only games

Try to contribute something meaningfu land intelligent to the Dabate dude, instaed of baseless assumptions and Random comments that really Prove nothing at all, nothing you sadi had ANY rlevence to the Line of Coverstion, What has what you said got to do with both games overall budgets? Hint: Nothing at all.
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 emgesp

Halo 4 looks great, but I still give games like God of War 3 and Killzone 3 the edge in graphics, especially in regards to character animations.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

GamerwillzPS

I'm surprised that so many people still eat the 'PS3 is more powerful' myth lol

Any logic explanation for the fact Halo 4 look as good or better than any PS3 exclusive?