High-end PCs cost >$4000

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
Misconception of the century :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Depends on what you want.  You can spend as much or as little as you would like.
Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts
This is quite obvious. Those who believe otherwise don't deserve to play video games.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Not always but they can, are you saying they can't?
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan070
Misconception of the century:  PCs cost less or equal to consoles.
kraidiation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 kraidiation
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Spartan070
That is true, however, the difference between a non-gaming PC and a gaming PC isn't that much ($400 - $500), less than the price of a PS3.
Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
Please shut up, I'm a huge console gamer with a gaming PC, just like 90% of consoles gamers out there. This no point in this thread.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Misconception of the century:  PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Spartan070
ACtually, over time the price of PC gaming is less than or equal to console gaming over the span of a single generation. You don't HAVE to upgrade at all during a generation. You buy somethign that out performs the consoles in 2005, it will STILL be doing so in 2007. Consoles are static, its not like PC gaming parts get worse over time, nor do consoles get better over time in terms of potential power. You can spend a set ammount of money on PC gaming and call it cuts and over the span of a genration spend less due to cheaper games and many other things.
washere12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 washere12
Member since 2003 • 612 Posts
Absolutley a misconception my comp which i recently bought runs Oblivion beautifally and it cost me 750 which aint bad at all and it checks out for Crysis, I think so at least(2.86 GHz)
ChipmunkDeluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChipmunkDeluxe
Member since 2006 • 3213 Posts
well if you wanna keep your computer fully upgraded for as long as a console will last you it will end up costing around 4000 dollars......
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
well if you wanna keep your computer fully upgraded for as long as a console will last you it will end up costing around 4000 dollars......ChipmunkDeluxe
In a single generation? Unlikely. In a 5 year period, you should only ever need to upgrade twice at a maximum, and that's probably not redoing the entire system.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
well if you wanna keep your computer fully upgraded for as long as a console will last you it will end up costing around 4000 dollars......ChipmunkDeluxe
Which is as about as redundant as keeping a bear on a leash. You can buy a standardized PC that outperforms consoles for a low price and by the END of the generation it will STILL be doing so.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. kraidiation
That is true, however, the difference between a non-gaming PC and a gaming PC isn't that much ($400 - $500), less than the price of a PS3.

True...
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century:  PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Vandalvideo
ACtually, over time the price of PC gaming is less than or equal to console gaming over the span of a single generation. You don't HAVE to upgrade at all during a generation. You buy somethign that out performs the consoles in 2005, it will STILL be doing so in 2007. Consoles are static, its not like PC gaming parts get worse over time, nor do consoles get better over time in terms of potential power. You can spend a set ammount of money on PC gaming and call it cuts and over the span of a genration spend less due to cheaper games and many other things.

Over time of course but I thought he meant like from scratch.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
[QUOTE="kraidiation"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Spartan070

True...
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Vandalvideo

Over time of course but I thought he meant like from scratch.

The difference between a gaming and a NON gaming PC is the GPU...and the console owner that doesnt have a PC ends up shopping in stores and being ripped the hell out of him with €70($85) games...so the PC is needed...

Last if ones wants to OUTPERFORM the consoles he MUST PAY more...
If one wants to have SAME performance he doesnt have to pay more...

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
The thing is every four months you have to buy a new card for like $200. And you people can't tell me crap because I OWN a gaming PC. I still don't understand how I can spend $400 on a video card and be able to run every game on max, and today put in my new PC game where it has to have low draw distance and texutres *Oblivion, yes I know but the game was already OUT when I got my PC card*
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dencore
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Vandalvideo

Not true at all, like I said 360 is running GoW while my high end PC that costs me $2000 can't ever run Oblivion fully. If you mean RUN the game that's fine, but RUN it to it's full power is a total misconception.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Dencore

Not true at all, like I said 360 is running GoW while my high end PC that costs me $2000 can't ever run Oblivion fully. If you mean RUN the game that's fine, but RUN it to it's full power is a total misconception.

Xbox360 runs Oblivion and GeoW at 30 FRAMES PER SECOND, at 720p with 4xAA... An $800 custom built PC can run Oblivion at those settings...
I bet your PC was a prebuilt Dell POS...
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#18 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. True_Gamer_

Xbox360 runs Oblivion and GeoW at 30 FRAMES PER SECOND, at 720p with 4xAA... An $800 custom built PC can run Oblivion at those settings...

lLast I heard, GeOW doesn't even use AA. And it lags when theres a bunch of smoke on-screen? Pathetic... :lol:
ThePatriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ThePatriots
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
Lol at this thread. Your gonna need to spend a little bit on a PC that will run UT3 or Crysis maxed out. You can go ahead and spend 400 on a PC, have fun playing crysis looking like half life 1. :-)
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 True_Gamer_
Lol at this thread. Your gonna need to spend a little bit on a PC that will run UT3 or Crysis maxed out. You can go ahead and spend 400 on a PC, have fun playing crysis looking like half life 1. :-)ThePatriots

If ones wants to OUTPERFORM the consoles he MUST PAY more...
If one wants to have SAME performance he doesnt have to pay more...

CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
about $1700 bones builds you a PC superior to the next gen consoles.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. True_Gamer_

Nope handbuilt, and you just said $800 custom built the 360 is $400.
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. dgsag

lLast I heard, GeOW doesn't even use AA. And it lags when theres a bunch of smoke on-screen? Pathetic... :lol:

yet GeoW has better graphics then Oblivion...
Lol at this thread. Your gonna need to spend a little bit on a PC that will run UT3 or Crysis maxed out. You can go ahead and spend 400 on a PC, have fun playing crysis looking like half life 1. :-)ThePatriots
QFT land from a distance away looks worse then N64, more like SEGA 32X on my PC. It is so funny, I was playing HL2: Episode 1, maxed out higest resolution, sound, graphics, shading, HDR, everything. And yet I can't run Oblivion normally? Ugh I would seriously smash my PC out of anger for the extra $1000 I spent on it for the supposable better "PC gaming" I would if I didn't get expierence the greatest game of all time with it "Half-Life 2"
macpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 macpop
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
u can build a dx10 rig for under 2000 with a 32 inch lcd, etc, 4000 price tag is prebuilts, if ur a pc gamer or know anything about pcs and go prebuilt u deserve to become a console gamer
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Dencore

[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. dgsag

QFT land from a distance away looks worse then N64, more like SEGA 32X on my PC. It is so funny, I was playing HL2: Episode 1, maxed out higest resolution, sound, graphics, shading, HDR, everything. And yet I can't run Oblivion normally? Ugh I would seriously smash my PC out of anger for the extra $1000 I spent on it for the supposable better "PC gaming" I would if I didn't get expierence the greatest game of all time with it "Half-Life 2"

So you typed all that from a Xbox360? :lol:
Plus why none of the lemmings smash their consoles? They run at 30fps on low res and AA? :lol:
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
ps3/x360 level pc $600-$800
kkuanloung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kkuanloung
Member since 2004 • 585 Posts
ur definition of HIGH END PCs could be alienwares... then it would most certainly cost more then $4000.. and im not talking bout their budget lines.. i mean the REAL HIGH ENDs.. alienware ALX..
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. True_Gamer_

Plus why none of the lemmings smash their consoles? They run at 30fps on low res and AA? :lol:

WTF does typing have to do with comparing graphics to the 360? And better 30 FPS then 15 FPS which some games on my PC can currently run on. :|
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Dencore

WTF does typing have to do with comparing graphics to the 360? And better 30 FPS then 15 FPS which some games on my PC can currently run on. :|

1st What are your specs?
2nd At what settings are you running your games at?

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
You can get a high-end PC for $1800. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Geforce 8800GTX, 2GB OCZ RAM, 320GB HDD etc...
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dgsag
[QUOTE="Arnalion"]You can get a high-end PC for $1800. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Geforce 8800GTX, 2GB OCZ RAM, 320GB HDD etc...

Please look at my sig. :P
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="Arnalion"]You can get a high-end PC for $1800. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Geforce 8800GTX, 2GB OCZ RAM, 320GB HDD etc...

Oveclocked CD 6300, 8600 ultra, and a 120gb HDD bring that price to smth like $1000
ChupacabraIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChupacabraIII
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
Depends on what you want. You can spend as much or as little as you would like.sonicare
You need to buy a house for the PC. = 400k + THHBO!!! :P
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    I was going to say. Thought you were trying to start bash thread. I have a decent self-built PC that can run most games (newer ones on medium or so) that cost me total about $600...
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dgsag
[QUOTE="sonicare"]Depends on what you want.  You can spend as much or as little as you would like.ChupacabraIII

You need to buy a house for the PC.

= 400k +

THHBO!!!

:P

And that's without refrigerator and other accessories and services like power. :P Pwned.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. True_Gamer_

1st What are your specs?

1st 512 MB Radeon XT1800 AMD 64 Athlon X2 2nd All the games I played run on the highest detail with no problem, or with little frame slow downs. Oblivion on the other hand was automatically set after installed *anyone who brought the game knows what I mean* I just feel very disappointed that some games can't be played the way they are ment to be played after such short amount of time.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Dencore

1st What are your specs?

1st 512 MB Radeon XT1800 AMD 64 Athlon X2 2nd All the games I played run on the highest detail with no problem, or with little frame slow downs. Oblivion on the other hand was automatically set after installed *anyone who brought the game knows what I mean* I just feel very disappointed that some games can't be played the way they are ment to be played after such short amount of time.

There isnt such thing as "the way they are ment to be played"... Its down to the capitalistic economics... You get what youve paid for if you want to play games at 1900x1600 rez, 16xAA/AF, at 90fps you have to pay alot...
If you want to play games at 1280x720 rez, 4xAA/AF, at 30 fps and you know where to shop an X1950Pro will do...
I would suggest you to your card and get a 8600Ultra thats a DX10 GPU for $180...
I guess that youve built your system 4 years ago otherwise it wouldnt cost $2000...
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. True_Gamer_

1st What are your specs?

There isnt such thing as "the way they are ment to be played"... Its down to the capitalistic economics... You get what youve paid for if you want to play games at 1900x1600 rez, 16xAA/AF, at 90fps you have to pay alot...
If you want to play games at 1280x720 rez, 4xAA/AF, at 30 fps and you know where to shop an X1950Pro will do...
I would suggest you to your card and get a 8600Ultra thats a DX10 GPU for $180...
I guess that youve built your system 4 years ago otherwise it wouldnt cost $2000...

more like 4 months ago
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]Misconception of the century: PCs cost less or equal to consoles. Dencore

1st What are your specs?

more like 4 months ago

Thats what I call being TOTALLY ripped off...
Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts
You can buy one at a low cost considering you already have relatively new mid-range PC.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 A-LEGEND
Member since 2006 • 1668 Posts
i think the greatest misconceptions is the noob hermitso n this site who think a high end pc consists, of a video card and a CPU. i built my computer ground up, with for example 2 gigs of ram that runs at 667ghz, and cost me 3000$ on the nose. with an X1900 crossfire. not even a g80. and a pentium D processor running at 3.4 GHZ. thats not even the half of it. and everything was the cheapest you will find it.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 True_Gamer_
i think the greatest misconceptions is the noob hermitso n this site who think a high end pc consists, of a video card and a CPU. i built my computer ground up, with for example 2 gigs of ram that runs at 667ghz, and cost me 3000$ on the nose. with an X1900 crossfire. not even a g80. and a pentium D processor running at 3.4 GHZ. thats not even the half of it. and everything was the cheapest you will find it.A-LEGEND

Cheapest in the ripoff land? :lol:
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 A-LEGEND

[QUOTE="A-LEGEND"]i think the greatest misconceptions is the noob hermitso n this site who think a high end pc consists, of a video card and a CPU. i built my computer ground up, with for example 2 gigs of ram that runs at 667ghz, and cost me 3000$ on the nose. with an X1900 crossfire. not even a g80. and a pentium D processor running at 3.4 GHZ. thats not even the half of it. and everything was the cheapest you will find it.True_Gamer_

Cheapest in the ripoff land? :lol:

oh yes your so knowledgable. hahaha............get real.

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts

Depends on what you want.  You can spend as much or as little as you would like.sonicare

yes depends on wheter you want to get a extremly high end alienware PC for 4,000+ or no as high en but still really good PC for less... also builder your own PC saves some money

solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#44 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts

No, it won't. 

If you buy Alienware or do not make your own PC (Or at least get together the parts) or decide to have some REALLY unnecessary parts it can be 4 grand.  And you get a new monitor and mouse and printer, etc
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 A-LEGEND

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Depends on what you want.  You can spend as much or as little as you would like.the_hsoj

yes depends on wheter you want to get a extremly high end alienware PC for 4,000+ or no as high en but still really good PC for less... also builder your own PC saves some money

thats the point a high end pc is not 1700$ tax in, if oyu want a high end PC it means the best stuff on them arket rightn ow. that is high end. or  close as hell. thats minimum 2800$
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="the_hsoj"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Depends on what you want. You can spend as much or as little as you would like.A-LEGEND

thats the point a high end pc is not 1700$ tax in, if oyu want a high end PC it means the best stuff on them arket rightn ow. that is high end. or close as hell. thats minimum 2800$

none of those parts are essential for graphics performance....
In order to surpass the consoles you need just a machine that runs games at 35fps, 1080p, 6xAA/AF...
Avatar image for phoenixan_akrau
phoenixan_akrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 phoenixan_akrau
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts
My PC cost me about $1200 4 years ago, and I've upgraded it (less than $100), and now there isn't a game I can't play on high quality yet. And I only care to play my games on 1024x768 (that's a factor too I guess). Some people JUST CAN'T LIVE without playing their games on some insanely high resolution... which is something I can't understand, but anyways... Yeah, just depends upon what you want in your games.
A-LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 A-LEGEND
[QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="the_hsoj"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Depends on what you want. You can spend as much or as little as you would like.True_Gamer_

thats the point a high end pc is not 1700$ tax in, if oyu want a high end PC it means the best stuff on them arket rightn ow. that is high end. or close as hell. thats minimum 2800$

In order to surpass the consoles you need just a machine that runs games at 35fps, 1080p, 6xAA/AF...

thats why you deserve to be ignored.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="A-LEGEND"][QUOTE="the_hsoj"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]Depends on what you want. You can spend as much or as little as you would like.A-LEGEND

thats why you deserve to be ignored.

And you still quoted and replied to me... :lol:
Sooo tell me what graphical impact has a sound card? A 500gb HDD? A $400 case?
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dencore
TO TRUE GAMER: Sorry I didn't want to keep quoting and take up the whole page. Anyway. I wouldn't call it being ripped off, much of it went to my LCD monitor and Sound card. But a good amount of it it went to the CPU and GPU. The CPU costs about $250 I think, while the GPU costs $300 *back 4 months ago* I already told you what I got and those were very powerful cards. Keep in mind I'm playing OBLIVION which is the first next gen game. The scaling of Oblivion is what gets my PC cuz it cant handle it. But everything else it can do with maxed out *dark messiah for example* It was a good deal considering when i went to other stores they had other cards for that prices for less powerful. What gripes me though is that other games are coming out that I'm intrested that I can't play If I can't play oblvion withhout problems, how can I play UT3 and Crysis. Yes I know *well those are made for the hardcore PC gamers who spend thousands on their equipment* Well that's stupid, why can't a play those games while others get to enjoy it, especially since those are the most notable. I may be able to play them, but with low texture and mapping, which is bothersome. I guess I'm not a PC gamer I hate upgrading and spending money *that's what I like abojavascript:qpost(); Submitut game systems because I do it once and don't have to worry about it again*