Have you ever not given a game a chance because you cant stand the characters/story

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59243 Posts

@so_hai said:

@Quicksilver128: All the characters in GTA (except in GTA3) are sociopathic, unlikable and ultimately uninteresting. And before you tell me that "that's the point", then it just goes to show what's wrong with it.

I agree with this, the silent protagonist was much preferable.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Nah, I give games a chance even when I know that I will hate the characters. Good thing though. Infamous Second Son had one of the worst main characters ever and it was still an awesome game.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

No, I can still get behind a good game if the character designs are horrid.

For example, I think everyone is God Eater looks like fucking trash. All the males looks like D-tier J-pop losers and all the females are just one monster swipe away from being completely naked. I hate everything about the designs in this game, but it's still a pretty fun game in the end.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I find it hard to get into 3rd-person games because I can see the character. When I play games, I usually equate the character with me. Seeing how they look like ruins the illusion. I started noticing this after I examined my backlog of unfinished games: The Witcher 3, all the Mass Effect games, Alan Wake, Watch Dogs, Heavy Rain, MGS 4.

That's why I prefer games which have a 1st-person view. I get immersed in the game better when I don't see what my character looks like.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#55 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Bayo 1/2, GTA IV, FFIX

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Sam3231 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The last game gave a chance was Final Fantasy VIII.

Squall was a prick and every character (adults) sounded like they were 8 and nothing made sense. The gameplay was just pressing a button to instantly kill everyone with random shit happening rather than actual level design.

Having never played, but always spoke negatively of Final Fantasy, this cynicism and bile was rightfully rewarded, and stands as proof that no facts or information beyond a vague believe is needed to judge a game accurately.

I 2nd this. I finally gave a couple of FF games a chance years ago but I should have just stuck to my instinct. Probably wasted 30 hours on 2 games that weren't terribly interesting and didn't finish.

It's a very baffling game. They clearly put much attention and care into the presentation, for the time period, Final Fantasy 8 would have been incredible.

Yet almost no attention at all on gameplay. Within in less 20 minutes of playing, it becomes readily apparent that the Guardian Force is completely exploitable.

It's almost as bad as Resident Evil 4 where you can just kick every enemy and knife them to death, knock over ladders and kick doors e.t.c...

Really poor design.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#57 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19667 Posts
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@acp_45 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Most Japanese games but then again they usually don't have good gameplay either.

?

100% of JRPGs then there are stupid shit like Gravity Rush, SotC etc.

Gravity Rush and SOTC have good gameplay. And there are many JRPGs with good gameplay.

None of the JRPGs has any gameplay let alone good gameplay, and SotC is pure shit with bad performance, broken controls and all sorts of problems associated with console games back in the day.

Every JRPG has gameplay. Don't be silly. As for SOTC, just play the remaster to avoid performance issues.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@acp_45 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Most Japanese games but then again they usually don't have good gameplay either.

?

Gravity Rush and SOTC have good gameplay. And there are many JRPGs with good gameplay.

Don't waste your time on him, he routinely talks from his ass to shit on games he's never played, aka an average System Warrior.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

I couldn't finish Valkyria Chronicles II because of the teen cast and high school-esque setting. I felt like it went overboard with the anime tropes and I just couldn't stomach it past a few hours. And this is coming from someone who absolutely loved the first Valkyria Chronicles.

I can't get behind the j-pop crew of FFXV and their cringe-worthy character designs. I'll give it a shot when it's on sale or super cheap.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Final Fantasy 15 and most of the stuff you weeaboos recommend.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#61 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Watch Dogs 2, I'd take the boring Aiden Pierce over these actively annoying hipsters any day.

The characters in this game also feel like they were the product of a bunch of Ubisoft execs going "we need characters that will appeal to young, hip gamers!" **** off. I am so turned off by the game's whole vibe that I didn't really give it fair shot on the gameplay side of things.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@acp_45 said:

?

None of the JRPGs has any gameplay let alone good gameplay, and SotC is pure shit with bad performance, broken controls and all sorts of problems associated with console games back in the day.

Great post.

Thank you!

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 zeeshanhaider

@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@acp_45 said:

?

Every JRPG has gameplay. Don't be silly. As for SOTC, just play the remaster to avoid performance issues.

I would have so much to say but just go and see the most hyped JRPG on this forum: Persona and see how it plays. F**king ridiculous for a $60 title. I have seen flash games with better graphics and gameplay.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

kingdom hearts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#65 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I would have so much to say but just go and see the most hyped JRPG on this forum: Persona and see how it plays. F**king ridiculous for a $60 title. I have seen flash games with better graphics and gameplay.

.... this explains it to me. You just have a terrible concept of what gameplay is. Oh and I dont expect you to agree, seriously.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9885 Posts

Bayonetta

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jag85

@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:

Let me guess... you hate turn-based combat, right?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I've made it a point to stay away from 3rd-person games. The only 3rd-person games I've finished are the Uncharted games plus Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

The rest are in varying stages of where I left off, even the 10/10 TW3. I find it hardest to get immersed with 3rd-person games.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Yep, all Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 uninspiredcup  Online

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I've made it a point to stay away from 3rd-person games. The only 3rd-person games I've finished are the Uncharted games plus Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

The rest are in varying stages of where I left off, even the 10/10 TW3. I find it hardest to get immersed with 3rd-person games.

But MDK is awesome.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

But MDK is awesome.

I can't get immersed when I can see what I look like. When I bought my two Blackmagic Voodoo 2 cards, one of the bundled games was MDK. I gave both CDs to my nephews who had a blast with it.

I'm an oddball when it comes to games. There are games I simply can't get into and then suddenly, I can. So, I've kept these games even though they're backlog for now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 uninspiredcup  Online
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

But MDK is awesome.

I can't get immersed when I can see what I look like. When I bought my two Blackmagic Voodoo 2 cards, one of the bundled games was MDK. I gave both CDs to my nephews who had a blast with it.

I'm an oddball when it comes to games. There are games I simply can't get into and then suddenly, I can. So, I've kept these games even though they're backlog for now.

I can't stand most modern third person action games. Hide behind a wall is about as boring as it gets.

Off topic - this was out in 1997, astounding visuals

Loading Video...

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 zeeshanhaider

@acp_45 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:

.... this explains it to me. You just have a terrible concept of what gameplay is. Oh and I dont expect you to agree, seriously.

Actually I had a misfortune of trying FFXIII and I couldn't even believe that it was actually a game mechanic. Fucking ATB. I thought they were messing with my mind in a Kojima style, so I turned to internet and found out that it actually is a combat system called game ATB. I'm still in shock people actually play suck trash in this day and age.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:

Yes, unless it fits the genre or scenario like army placements or logistics in RTS or such game I find it stupid that you take turn fighting in a swords play, that's stupid and incompetence when current gaming technologies allow realtime fighting systems. It's especially pathetic if a game sells for $60 and not an indie title. Furthermore I hate the style of JRPG and their girly man or manly girls art.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jag85

@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

Yes, unless it fits the genre or scenario like army placements or logistics in RTS or such game I find it stupid that you take turn fighting in a swords play, that's stupid and incompetence when current gaming technologies allow realtime fighting systems. It's especially pathetic if a game sells for $60 and not an indie title. Furthermore I hate the style of JRPG and their girly man or manly girls art.

Uh, manly girls is something that Western games are known for, not JRPGs.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I don't know I still haven't figured out what the cast of JRPGs actually consist of. They are definitely not men or even women.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jag85

@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:

I don't know I still haven't figured out what the cast of JRPGs actually consist of. They are definitely not men or even women.

Of course. They're just pixels and polygons. Duh.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 zeeshanhaider

@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@Jag85 said:

Of course. They're just pixels and polygons. Duh.

Yeah, but in the games they are living characters and I can't figure out if they based it on men or women.