Hard-Core Game = ???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

The term "hard-core game" is superfluous without some clear lines drawn as to criteria for a hard-core game.

The more time I spend on system wars the more baffled I am by the words people use to define their games, systems, and themselves.  What most people labeling a game as hard-core will tell you is that a hard-core game is not a casual game.  This is a bit confusing when many extremely popular games are classified as hard-core.  This seems like a huge contradiction because for a game to be extremely popular it has to appeal to the casual market which makes it a casual game.  If we say any game that sells well is casual, then are hard-core games only the sleeper hits?  Or is any game that sells poorly, even if it's a poor game, hard-core?  Generally, it's only the die hard fans that can get passed bad or difficult mechanics and enjoy a game that the casuals would stop playing in minutes (example: Arcanum on the PC).

With that said, it can't be the difficulty of gameplay that makes a game hard-core.  Just today I've seen many fairly simplistic games touted as hard-core within these forums.  So either the people are wrong or the definition doesn't hold true.

So what makes a game hard-core?  Is it simply a bunch of "hard-core" gamers get together an decide that a game is hard-core because they enjoy it?  Can another group of gamers veto this hard-core decision?  This sort of fits because it seems a "hard-core" gamer says things like "This game which I like is better than this game which you like because this game is hard-core and that game is not."  This usage only makes the word hard-core a popularity contest.  Which, you might as well just throw up a poll to prove that game x is more well liked than game y based on n people who participated in the poll.

So, unless a better definition is provided... hard-core game = well liked.  Game x is more hard-core than game y because people like it more.

Click_Clock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Click_Clock
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

Ikaruga is the only hardcore game in the industry as for today. In the future, there will be more of course.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Hardcore is just what the gamer elists use. I've never heard one consistant or agreed upon definition.  it's really just what they like and feel that many others don't like.

it reminds me of "hardcore" music fans that will say a band suddenly sucks once it's popular or your band sucks because they don't like that type of music.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

hardcore can be described as diffivulty.

also, hardcore are games which have better graphics, story line, physics, ai, level of skill required to play well,  anything that makes the game have more depth.

for example. forza is a more hardcore game than excite truck. its pretty easy to see why.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

Hardcore game in my view = A game with tons of depth that can be found the more time you invest into the game.

DrSquishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DrSquishy
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

People tend to label games hardcore because, "Well, I liked it and I'm hardcore, therefore the game MUST be hardcore."  In my opinion there are no hardcore games, just players.  What is hardcore for me (Yoshi's Island or perhaps Pitfall) might not be hardcore for you.

LordLeckie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LordLeckie
Member since 2006 • 470 Posts
The only hardcore game i can think of is BioShock
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts

in my opinion, a game is harcore if it has depth, difficulty and originality.

I also think that hardcore games must have some kind of artistic quality that cannot be found anywhere else, be it art-style, technique or scale (i.e. sotc)