Handhelds: In retrospect is the 2nd DS screen useless?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

I think it is personally as the best games use it minimally for the most part and they could have made 1 touch screen instead of two screens.

All the touchscreen games for the most part dont use the upperscreen either and it would not only have eliminated hinge cracks but had best graphics as well and probably a bigger screen.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
absolutely not as i said in your other thread.... being able to constantly keep track of maps, stats, info, and other various things/uses on the other screen at all times was a fantastic idea
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghost392

absolutely not as i said in your other thread.... being able to constantly keep track of maps, stats, info, and other various things/uses on the other screen at all times was a fantastic ideakidcool189

You could pause and go to map in like a second so I consider that point invalid unless you really want to save miniscule time at expense of graphics and screen size

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

The DS' best games often exploit both screens, whether for stats and info, to have dual scenarios/gameplay situations, for superior cutscenes or to better utilize touch controls.

Advance Wars Dual Strike, Big Bang Mini, Elite Beat Agents, Knights in the Nightmare, Metroid Prime Hunters, the Megatens, etc.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

The World Ends With You says it isn't. Other games too, but I've got TWEWY on the brain right now.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WAIW

The World Ends With You says it isn't. Other games too, but I've got TWEWY on the brain right now.

sam_nintendo
That's a fantastic example. Can't believe I missed it
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

No. Not at all

washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

basically yes. it ended up being utterly irrelevant.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
i know, its so horrible being able to have useful info always in view without bringing up a menu! why won't Nintendo stop torturing me and give me a single touch screen to waste time on!
akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

I like the 2nd screen in Phantom Hourglass... It has the map up top which you use and you can bring it down to write notes on.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ghost392

The DS' best games often exploit both screens, whether for stats and info, to have dual scenarios/gameplay situations, for superior cutscenes or to better utilize touch controls.

Advance Wars Dual Strike, Big Bang Mini, Elite Beat Agents, Knights in the Nightmare, Metroid Prime Hunters, the Megatens, etc.

WAIW

Prooved my point what can be done with two screens that is done by a game that cannot be dont with one screen?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I like it as a info screen for maps and stuff.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

ghost392

Prooved my point what can be done with two screens that is done by a game that cannot be dont with one screen?

I gave you examples for a reason. Elite Beat Agents' humorous cutscenes complement the gameplay's visuals simultaneously, and would not work on one screen. Shin Megami Tensei's stats would be a pain-in-the-neck to access through separate menus due to their complexity.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Nothing. It could have easily just been one long screen. But I like the book design. It's come in handy with a lot of games.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

sam_nintendo

Good example, BTW TC how insecure can you be? How many anti-DS topics do you have to make in a day? We get it you're a graphic but that doesn't change the fact DS > PSP> I-Phone> I Pod Touch.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

another DS bash thread? you are starting to become a troll ghost...you should really chill it

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
useless? no not at all. even if just info or menu screen, it actually makes the whole thing easier for me. I played Phoenix Wright both in GBA and NDS, and i can say NDS' dual screen makes the experience a lot better.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

2ND screen: Not useless

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sam_nintendo

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

ghost392

Have you played any DS games? It would be helpful for us if we knew what games you've played.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's not utturly useless. games like Zelda and Demintium use the Touch Screen.

it really depends on the developer.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

2nd screen is not useless. Its amazing when you play games like Sonic which utilises both screens. Zelda is beneficial as one screen can be used for full screen map while the other for gameplay. Alot of other games use dual screen to alot more depth, so yes, it is essential, and was a brilliant feature.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

I think it is personally as the best games use it minimally for the most part and they could have made 1 touch screen instead of two screens.

All the touchscreen games for the most part dont use the upperscreen either and it would not only have eliminated hinge cracks but had best graphics as well and probably a bigger screen.

ghost392

Again with this? What are you a one trick pony? Seriously chill out trolling.

Plenty of DS games make great use of the second screen, whether it's for game input like touch based games (Pheonix Wright, Phantom Hourglass, Ninja Gaiden DS, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Wario Ware) to being used to navigate menus (look at most RPGs and nearly every game), or as part of the control system (Metroid Prime: Hunters, Advance Wars, Star Fox, Pokemon, ect) it always serves it's purpose.

Honestly if you wanted to try and pick apart a handheld, the PSP is the best way to go. With all the success and amazing games the DS has had, it's kind of hard to say much against it beyond "the graphics aren't as good as they could be."

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

kejigoto

Again with this? What are you a one trick pony? Seriously chill out trolling.

Plenty of DS games make great use of the second screen, whether it's for game input like touch based games (Pheonix Wright, Phantom Hourglass, Ninja Gaiden DS, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Wario Ware) to being used to navigate menus (look at most RPGs and nearly every game), or as part of the control system (Metroid Prime: Hunters, Advance Wars, Star Fox, Pokemon, ect) it always serves it's purpose.

Honestly if you wanted to try and pick apart a handheld, the PSP is the best way to go. With all the success and amazing games the DS has had, it's kind of hard to say much against it beyond "the graphics aren't as good as they could be."

Wow I thought gamespot was above name calling and that is exactly my point 1 screen that is touch screen could do all those things and the 2nd screen is a useless gimick... I mean is it really that hard to push pause and go to map or look up the map online and have it on a large screen... Or print it out.

The map excuse is debunked right there and I thought you mocked the ipad using digital input but its okay for rpgs on the DS to use it on the second screen?

And the Pps is third place so what would be the point and I could write a book on what is wrong with it. The DS does not have "the graphics aren't as good as they could be." it has underutilized graphics and the graphics are kinda bad the only acceptable looking game imo would be COP...

What is worse is how little games use 3D when Nintendo hyped it being a 3D handheld...

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

How the hell do I play the World end with you on one screen?

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Agghhh, not you again.

In retrospect, is the iPad's gaming function useless? Yep.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WAIW
and the 2nd screen is a useless gimick... ghost392
It's hard to understand how you're not trolling when you've completely ignored all the evidence that debunks your point, solely because it contradicts your assumption
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghost392
[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="kejigoto"] Again with this? What are you a one trick pony? Seriously chill out trolling.

WAIW

Wow I thought gamespot was above name calling and that is exactly my point 1 screen that is touch screen could do all those things and the 2nd screen is a useless gimick... I mean is it really that hard to push pause and go to map or look up the map online and have it on a large screen... Or print it out.

The map excuse is debunked right there and I thought you mocked the ipad using digital input but its okay for rpgs on the DS to use it on the second screen?

And the Pps is third place so what would be the point and I could write a book on what is wrong with it. The DS does not have "the graphics aren't as good as they could be." it has underutilized graphics and the graphics are kinda bad the only acceptable looking game imo would be COP...

What is worse is how little games use 3D when Nintendo hyped it being a 3D handheld...

Good job ignoring my examples. "the 2nd screen is a useless gimick" Yea, it certainly didn't lead to the best games on the DS, like Advance Wars Dual Strike, TWEWY, Big Bang Mini, etc... Those could easily have been done on one screen

Well Big Bang Mini would lose size of top screen but could be done TWEY could be done with loosing the top screen and just having one fight and advanced wars could be done like GBA The games arent impossible on one screen just the elements they used could be converted
reveiwer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 reveiwer
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

ghost392

In the beginning it was okay but now your just trolling, if you're really going to try so hard to make the iphone recognised then at-least attack the PSP you'll have more success there.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 789shadow

[QUOTE="WAIW"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

Good job ignoring my examples. "the 2nd screen is a useless gimick" Yea, it certainly didn't lead to the best games on the DS, like Advance Wars Dual Strike, TWEWY, Big Bang Mini, etc... Those could easily have been done on one screen

Well Big Bang Mini would lose size of top screen but could be done TWEY could be done with loosing the top screen and just having one fight and advanced wars could be done like GBA The games arent impossible on one screen just the elements they used could be converted

Grasping for straws? Isn't fighting with two people at once the entire point of TWEWY!?!?!?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ActicEdge

ghost392

If you convert elements its not the same game anymore. The whole point of TWEWY's battle system is managing 2 chracters and getting good at the multilayered combat. The whole friggin story of the game depends on the 2 screens. Please, stop with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Just from the games I own:

Castlevania DoS/PoR/OoE:Being able to have your map all the times in games with that much exploration instead of pausing every time you have multiple paths was an excellent way to make the games faster, more fluid, better.

Mario and Luigi PiT/BIS: for the interaction between two sets of characters.

Contra 4: vertical, bigger screen allowed for more 2D crazyness.

Sonic Rush/RA: See Contra 4

TWEWY: Controlling two characters at the same time.

AW: DoR: See Castlevania, replace "exploration" with "strategy". So no, not useless at all.

Ace Attorney series: having two sets of screensmakes everything soooo much better.

Professor Layton Series: See Ace Attorney.

Henry Hatsworth: interaction bewteen two different kinds of gameplay (platorming and puzzle)

18 games that prove how useful two screens can be.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"][QUOTE="WAIW"] Good job ignoring my examples. "the 2nd screen is a useless gimick" Yea, it certainly didn't lead to the best games on the DS, like Advance Wars Dual Strike, TWEWY, Big Bang Mini, etc... Those could easily have been done on one screenActicEdge

If you convert elements its not the same game anymore. The whole point of TWEWY's battle system is managing 2 chracters and getting good at the multilayered combat. The whole friggin story of the game depends on the 2 screens. Please, stop with this.

So you cant split the larger horizontal screen in two parts?
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I enjoy it when it's used for the menus instead of the first screen, but I dislike having to use the touchpad.

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sam_nintendo
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"] Well Big Bang Mini would lose size of top screen but could be done TWEY could be done with loosing the top screen and just having one fight and advanced wars could be done like GBA The games arent impossible on one screen just the elements they used could be convertedghost392

So then it's basically two screens again.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WAIW

ghost392

Big Bang Mini, without the top screen, wouldn't be the same game at all. It would be a much smaller, more awkward shmup.

Advance Wars DS has two battles SIMULTANEOUSLY that interact with each other, and it's important to have both screens up at once. That was one of the best aspects of the game that separates it from the GBA ones and Days of Ruin.

And TWEWY... lol, it just cannot be done with one screen

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"] Well Big Bang Mini would lose size of top screen but could be done TWEY could be done with loosing the top screen and just having one fight and advanced wars could be done like GBA The games arent impossible on one screen just the elements they used could be convertedghost392

How the hell am I suppose to see what I'm doing if I'm using the touch screen while performing other actions? Your hand would obstruct the view of the other side. On top of that, splitting that small a screen in half would be awkward. The game was designed with 2 screens in mind. Will you stop with this. Have you even played TWEWY (and I mean to 100% completion where you need the convience of 2 screens)

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

sam_nintendo

No it simulates two because most games do not benefit from two screens and would do better with one for one secondly the battery gain and expense loss from the 2nd lcd could be turn to normal DSL standards by making the 1 lcd bigger and loosing the hingecrack from clamshell design The touch screen would still be their as would the stylus but more portability better graphics etc.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

What is it with you? This is your second thread in which yout ry to bash the DS. You got owned in the first why do come back for more? No its not uselss its more intuitive, get over it.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

No, not at all.

The 2nd screens allows some creative stuff by developers.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 789shadow

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="ghost392"] So you cant split the larger horizontal screen in two parts?ghost392

No it simulates two because most games do not benefit from two screens and would do better with one for one secondly the battery gain and expense loss from the 2nd lcd could be turn to normal DSL standards by making the 1 lcd bigger and loosing the hingecrack from clamshell design The touch screen would still be their as would the stylus but more portability better graphics etc.

I bet removing the screen entirely would improve graphics even further. I mean, what games really need the screen anyway?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"][QUOTE="ghost392"] So you cant split the larger horizontal screen in two parts?ghost392

1. You've never played the DS.

2. More portability? The DSLite is very small, it's just a bit longer than my wallet.

3. Not only is it used for menu's, sometimes the action exists on 2 screens. You also fail to acknowledge games where the DS is turned on its side utilizing both screens.

4. Better graphics is not affected by 2 screens.

5. The DS battery is by far the best out of any handheld ever, including anything Apple has come up with.

6. Most games DO benefit, only you don't seem to agree with it. People just finished telling you they like seeing more of the game or stats and menu screens or whatever. It's a BENEFIT.

7. You have no idea how videogame tech works.

8. You're obviously trolling, and no i'm not name calling, I'm stating a fact. You have multiple threads bashing the DS with no legitimate argument. I think what you're referring to is a PSP, please, purchase one of those if you'd like. It's a solid choice.

juno84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 juno84
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

Not sure why you didn't just make one large DS hate thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
there have been so many games that have made fantastic use of the dual screens, than i don't know where to begin. The World Ends With You- nuff said Pokemon- Battles have never been smoother with the touch screen Metroid Prime Hunters- Still unsurpased FPS experiance on a handheld thanks to having a seperate touch screen to aim with Megaman Battle Network/Star force- Touch screen folder creation and touch menus Kirby Canvas Curse- One of the first, and still one of the best examples of gameplay controled compleatly though touch, uses the upper screen to great effect to keep all the crap out of the way do i really need to go on?
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
Two screens is a big thing in DS games. It has gotten to a point where DS games simply wouldn't work well without a second screen.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="sam_nintendo"] So then it's basically two screens again.sonic_spark

2. More portability? The DSLite is very small, it's just a bit longer than my wallet.

3. Not only is it used for menu's, sometimes the action exists on 2 screens. You also fail to acknowledge games where the DS is turned on its side utilizing both screens.

5. The DS battery is by far the best out of any handheld ever, including anything Apple has come up with.

6. Most games DO benefit, only you don't seem to agree with it. People just finished telling you they like seeing more of the game or stats and menu screens or whatever. It's a BENEFIT.

8. You're obviously trolling, and no i'm not name calling, I'm stating a fact. You have multiple threads bashing the DS with no legitimate argument. I think what you're referring to is a PSP, please, purchase one of those if you'd like. It's a solid choice.

1. Yes and you could split and bigger screen with a simluated line if devs wanted

2. Yes the graphics are affected by two screens

3. No they do not as it wastes power and graphics by putting map there when you can pause or print a map out

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I disagree.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"] No it simulates two because most games do not benefit from two screens and would do better with one for one secondly the battery gain and expense loss from the 2nd lcd could be turn to normal DSL standards by making the 1 lcd bigger and loosing the hingecrack from clamshell design The touch screen would still be their as would the stylus but more portability better graphics etc.

ghost392

1. Yes and you could split and bigger screen with a simluated line if devs wanted

2. Yes the graphics are affected by two screens

3. No they do not as it wastes power and graphics by putting map there when you can pause or print a map out

You think Metroid or Castlevania would be better if you needed to constantly pause to see where you're going? And unless you were playing the game a while after the release, how could you print out a map?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#50 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Not at all. Your DS bashing today is really funny.