Halo is now underrated

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
At time of release, Halo: Combat Evolved was hyped up more than sex, and it deserved every bit of it. However, the Hype Machine has long since moved on. Most of those who heard of the game but were doubtful have tried it somehow, and now all I ever hear about Halo is how "overrated" it is. I hear the term so often that I doubt it can actually be considered highly rated any more. The most common complaint I hear is the PC elitist argument, "yes, it's the best CONSOLE shooter, but that's like being the world's largest mitochondrion." What the haters mean if and when they say this is that console shooters are inherently ruined by the thumbstick control scheme, because it is not as accurate or fluid as a mouse-and-keyboard setup. I say: Ridiculous. It's true that mouse control is more accurate and more dynamic than an analog stick, but it's not like a stick is impossible to aim with. In practice, the precision is determined far more by personal acclimation than hardware functionality. The ultimate god of console shooter skill will fumble embarrassingly if given PC controls, and vice versa. Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies." The system Halo uses is called "sticky-aim", meaning that the reticle will snap onto an enemy and follow them if you aim close enough. You might say this diminishes the effect of player skill, but it's inaccurate if your opponent is moving, will usually fail to lock if you try to move or aim manually, and doesn't lend itself to head-shots. The only skill beneficiaries here are non-players and the low end of casual players battling eachother, which renders any point about skill moot. Also, there is an official PC port of Halo.
 [color=#244896]Another game lost to the tides of time. I bet no one even tried it because it used console controls.[/color]
The second most common complaint I hear is that the story is generic and stupid. Well, it is. But remember that Halo is not Halo 2. Complaining that Halo's plot doesn't make sense is like complaining that The Transporter or Wanted aren't realistic enough. It's not supposed to be taken seriously. Master Chief is not meant to be anything more than the nameless, faceless badass in the suit, and you're not meant to feel any emotional attachment to him. The Covenant are not meant to be anything deeper than big mean aliens to kill or be killed by. Also, not everyone cares about story. I'm pretty sure most gamers couldn't care less if a game's story is embarrassingly stupid as long as it's fun to play. A bad story does not single-handedly ruin a game. Bioshock is a good example of this.
 [color=#244896]One of the most notoriously bad games ever released. This game is especially infamous for not having a deep storyline.[/color]
The one real complaint I DON'T hear constantly is that of repetitive level design. Of course, this only applies to the campaign, not the versus multiplayer. Aside from this flaw, the level design is pretty much perfect, as are the controls, the health system, the weapons, the physics, the graphics, the music, the everything. Everyone would be much happier if we just come to a consensus about Halo's greatness. Well, maybe not everyone, but I personally would be much happier. Since this is an open thread, I'll end on a question(s): How do you think Halo is generally perceived (now, not at the time of release), and how much praise do you think it deserves?
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
I played the Halo CE demo on PC retroactively. It was terrible.
DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts

Halo Combat Evolved was never hyped "more than sex". It was in some ways a surprise hit.

Halo 2, that was a different story.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I don't think it is really true what you said about Halo's story, it has a great story that does make sense, is deep, and yes the Master Chief is pretty much supposed to be a nameless badass because he is a Spartan, a genetically altered human super soldier, the fact that he has a number tied to his name is evidence of this. He is not simply John or John [insert last name here] he is John-117, like a serial number.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

The second most common complaint I hear is that the story is generic and stupid. Well, it is. But remember that Halo is not Halo 2. Complaining that Halo's plot doesn't make sense is like complaining that The Transporter or Wanted aren't realistic enough. It's not supposed to be taken seriously. Master Chief is not meant to be anything more than the nameless, faceless badass in the suit, and you're not meant to feel any emotional attachment to him. The Covenant are not meant to be anything deeper than big mean aliens to kill or be killed by.NBSRDan

Because Halo's story never aspired to greatness, it shouldn't be held to that standard? When you extol the brilliance of Halo, you are establishing the standard by which we judge it, and in this aspect, it's entirely possible to claim that the character development and the story in general don't live up (I'm not saying I am :P). Yet, you've determined that we shouldn't expect it to? Pardon me, but I don't understand.

A bad story does not single-handedly ruin a game.NBSRDan

No, but it sure does make the game worse.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I agree with everything except your comment on story. The story is deeper and more original than you would think if you played every game in the series and have explored the backstory in the well-written novels. Master Chief isn't exactly the deepest character around, but thats okay. After all, nobody wants to play a shooter with an insecure super-soldier. He's just a guy who was brought into this and bred for total annihilation of the enemy, but has a good heart. If you want characters with more depth, well, thats what The Arbiter is for. The Covenant is more than just some alien army appearing that wants to kill everything; they are all brainwashed into believing what they are doing is right; its like any other massive super power in the world. The evil in the Middle-east, Nazis, and so on. Halo actually has some really great sci-fi storytelling in it. Don't believe me, ask Greg Kassavin or that other reviewer guy who did Halo on Xbox.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
If Halo was hyped more than sex, then it failed tremendously. I've only experienced the single player of it, and I still have to say it is loads better than anything Halo has ever offered. Plus, it has great replay value, and I frequently come back to it. Anyway, I think Halo gets a lot of hate and a lot of love.
NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NBSRDan
@ some of the above comments: When a story does not take itself seriously, it should not be held to the standards of serious storytelling. If the plot of a game is really nothing more than a premise with which to inspire levels, then it is unfair to judge it as a full-fledged story. I will use some of the OP examples for analogy: Super Mario World: "The princess has been captured by an anthropomorphic dragon-tortoise thing. Go save her." You're not expecting a thrilling philosophical adventure, and the game is not trying to reel you in as if one is present. The focus is entirely on playing levels. Technically the story is shallow, but it's unfair to judge it by those standards. Similarly, Halo: "A bunch of aliens want to kill you. Kill them first." The plot-line of rings that make things die adds a bit of additional complexity, but it's still mostly just a premise to get the level design rolling. As such, it shouldn't be factored in when judging the game as a whole. As opposed to Bioshock, which shows a complexly-woven war of factions and rogue scavengers, character development that extends to the common enemies you fight, and buried themes including politics, greed, and savagery. By doing so, its story becomes serious and complex, and can thus can be judged by higher standards. ... I must say I LOL'd at this statement:
If Halo was hyped more than sex, then it failed tremendously. I've only experienced the single player of it, and I still have to say it is loads better than anything Halo has ever offered. Plus, it has great replay value, and I frequently come back to it.DeathScape666
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Halo underrated???

What kitty?? what do you say??

facepalm

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

i'm tired so forgive me but was this defending halo?

i came for the sensationalism, i replied for the mitochondrion reference

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies."NBSRDan

this is where I stopped reading. Isn't this the same developer that has yet to design another game other than halo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"] Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies."Some-Mist

this is where I stopped reading. Isn't this the same developer that has yet to design another game other than halo?

They made Myst, and a few other games before Halo for the PC.
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

Halo will always be overrated. It may be a great FPS series (though I never was a huge fan, I don't care for the weapons), but the way it has turned into a phenomenon truly baffles me. It's not like the series did something revolutionary ala GTA III.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 g805ge
Member since 2009 • 474 Posts

I would say that Halo is neither overrated or underrated, it may have been a little overrated back then but now it has garnered a lot of haters and detractors. I say it's overhyped but not overrated or underrated.

Halo was also kinda of a surprise and didn't have much big hype before release. Media thought the game would turn out terrible due to the buggy E3 demo but when the full game came out it surprised everyone.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 g805ge

Halo will always be overrated. It may be a great FPS series (though I never was a huge fan, I don't care for the weapons), but the way it has turned into a phenomenon truly baffles me. It's not like the series did something revolutionary ala GTA III.

Tragic_Kingdom7

GTA III wasn't very revolutionary either as it basically had the same gameplay as previous GTA games had but in a 3D enviroment so thats what made it good. Driver 2 had a similar enviroment like GTA III but GTA III was good unlike Driver 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RfMcpn0Cc

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 g805ge

I played the Halo CE demo on PC retroactively. It was terrible.Brownesque
Cool beans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTy8VTDNjs

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 g805ge

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"] Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies."Some-Mist

They're planning to leave MicroSoft once they're done with Halo Reach {Which is based off the novel Halo Fall of Reach}, its rumors to make a new game for the Wii that isn't Halo related. Aim-assist does help the analog controls less precisive aiming.

Bungie developed plenty of games before halo.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 g805ge

Halo underrated???

What kitty?? what do you say??

facepalm

GreenGoblin2099

These kitty memes have got to go. They're not clever nor funny nor add a decent point. But yeah Halo is not underrated, nor overrated in fact but overhyped. :S

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="Tragic_Kingdom7"]

g805ge

GTA III wasn't very revolutionary either as it basically had the same gameplay as previous GTA games had but in a 3D enviroment so thats what made it good. Driver 2 had a similar enviroment like GTA III but GTA III was good unlike Driver 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RfMcpn0C

Driver 2 is not comparable to GTA III. GTA III did so much more. Driver 2 repeated its environment over and over while GTA III's city was compriised of unique landmarks. Driver 2 simply did not offer the kind of sandbox that GTA III did.

GTA III is revolutionary because it took those core elements from the 2D game and put them into a dynamic 3D environment that seemed to live and breath. It may not seem revolutionary in the sense of being totally new, but it was quite a feat back when GTAIII released and was something that hadn't been seen before in 3D. It also must be considered that GTA III tied these elements together into a cohesive story, which the 2D games failed to do.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]I played the Halo CE demo on PC retroactively. It was terrible.g805ge

Cool beans.

Are you under the impression that I'm lying or something? I didn't enjoy the game.
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

Driver 2 is not comparable to GTA III. GTA III did so much more. Driver 2 repeated its environment over and over while GTA III's city was comprimised of unique landmarks. Driver 2 simply did not offer the kind of sandbox that GTA III did.

GTA III is revolutionary because it took those core elements from the 2D game and put them into a dynamic 3D environment that seemed to live and breath. It may not seem revolutionary in the sense of being totally new, but it was quite a feat back when GTAIII released and was something that hadn't been seen before in 3D. It also must be considered that GTA III tied these elements together into a cohesive story, which the 2D games failed to do.

I didn't say that Driver 2 was exactly the same I just said they were similar. GTA III wasn't revolutionary, it was evolutionary. :P

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="g805ge"]

Considering everyone seems to be copying halo now a days fps wise, it did bring alot to the fps genre, co-op, limited weapons, excellant vehicle play (bf might win this one), and the most annoying thing of all regenerating health (works well with the shield concept but apparently in cod2 there were magic faries in wwII)
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]I played the Halo CE demo on PC retroactively. It was terrible.Brownesque

Cool beans.

Are you under the impression that I'm lying or something? I didn't enjoy the game.

I said; Cool beans.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="g805ge"]Cool beans.

g805ge

I said; Cool beans.

Right on. High five. Let's go. Kick ass.
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

Driver 2 is not comparable to GTA III. GTA III did so much more. Driver 2 repeated its environment over and over while GTA III's city was comprimised of unique landmarks. Driver 2 simply did not offer the kind of sandbox that GTA III did.

Also, here's the non-broken link. :P

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the ling {AGAIN!} and now you can watch. Man I hate the forum use in this website.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

what was that whole thing about super mario world being a bad game? is that a joke because i cant tell... if it is then i feel sry for you

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"] Are you under the impression that I'm lying or something? I didn't enjoy the game.Brownesque

I said; Cool beans.

Right on. High five. Let's go. Kick ass.

I'm going to juggle all those Tekken fanboy's ass in Virtua Fighter bro.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="g805ge"]GTA III wasn't very revolutionary either as it basically had the same gameplay as previous GTA games had but in a 3D enviroment so thats what made it good. Driver 2 had a similar enviroment like GTA III but GTA III was good unlike Driver 2.

g805ge

I didn't say that Driver 2 was exactly the same I just said they were similar. GTA III wasn't revolutionary, it was evolutionary. :P

Fair enough. I guess I can roll with that.

therealnerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 therealnerdd
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts
never heard about halo until halo 3, and the series looks like garbage
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
its not underrated...it gets ahted on too much, but it most certainly wasn't underrated. Great First Person Shooter franchise imo though, not the best, but it deserves credit where credit is due.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tragic_Kingdom7

[QUOTE="g805ge"]GTA III wasn't very revolutionary either as it basically had the same gameplay as previous GTA games had but in a 3D enviroment so thats what made it good. Driver 2 had a similar enviroment like GTA III but GTA III was good unlike Driver 2.

g805ge

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the ling {AGAIN!} and now you can watch. Man I hate the forum use in this website.

That guy basically made my point for me. Although Halo did some important things for console FPS, the way it's elevated to God-like status is too much.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

Tragic_Kingdom7

That guy basically made my point for me. Although Halo did some important things for console FPS, the way it's elevated to God-like status is too much.

Probably because it saved the Xbox, and the fact America loves shooters. :P I wouldn't rank it as a God but more of a King. Half-Life 1 is a Godly game!

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

These kitty memes have got to go. They're not clever nor funny nor add a decent point. But yeah Halo is not underrated, nor overrated in fact but overhyped. :S

g805ge

Would'¿ve you prefered a Captain Pichard or whatever the name is??

:P

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 g805ge

[QUOTE="g805ge"]

GreenGoblin2099

Would'¿ve you prefered a Captain Pichard or whatever the name is??

:P

De-Motivational Posters FTW!

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NBSRDan

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"]Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies."Some-Mist

Bungie made Gnop before they made Minotaur before they made Pathways Into Darkness before they made the Marathon trilogy before they made Myth before they made Oni before they made Halo. Since the Halo franchise is successful, it makes sense from a business standpoint to keep extending it.

what was that whole thing about super mario world being a bad game? is that a joke because i cant tell... if it is then i feel sry for you

VendettaRed07
Yes, it's a joke, as is the comment about Wolfenstein 3D above it.
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 g805ge

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"]

NBSRDan

Bungie made Gnop before they made Minotaur before they made Pathways Into Darkness before they made the Marathon trilogy before they made Myth before they made Oni before they made Halo. Since the Halo franchise is successful, it makes sense from a business standpoint to keep extending it.

VendettaRed07

Do you hate a lot of video games?

You rate a lot of games low. :P

Virtua Fighter 4 a 1.0! Aw Hell no!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
People are baffled by the popularity of Halo. Why is this difficult. You make a fun thing to do:shoot aliens. Create a game universe that has possibilities: hence the praise from Sci Fi writers. Market it with other mediums: comics and books, trailers for games before summer movies. Most important, and the wildcard, timing. People like to share enjoyment of something. Take that movie "My big fat Greek wedding". I saw it with an ex, and it sucked! But the timing was perfect for something light hearted that people wanted to like.
agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#38 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts

Halo 2 and 3 were more annoying than Halo due to the massive hype campaigns. Halo in my mind is overrated, but didn't have multi million dollar marketing campaigns.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Halo is overrated not in critic scores but the way peple hype it and go saying "Halo Created FPS" etc..

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"]

NBSRDan

VendettaRed07

I still don't think that makes them a great developer. It's been 8 years since they've done anything new. :roll:

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 g805ge

Halo is overrated not in critic scores but the way peple hype it and go saying "Halo Created FPS" etc..

Gamerz1569

No one said they were the "FIRST FPS EVAR CREATED" apart from fanboys.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 g805ge

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"]Bungie made Gnop before they made Minotaur before they made Pathways Into Darkness before they made the Marathon trilogy before they made Myth before they made Oni before they made Halo. Since the Halo franchise is successful, it makes sense from a business standpoint to keep extending it. [QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Some-Mist

I still don't think that makes them a great developer. It's been 8 years since they've done anything new. :roll:

Matchmaking for consoles online MP was pretty innovative at the time for Halo 2. Theatre in Halo 3 helped it easier to make Halo 3 machinimas.

mistablair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 mistablair
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts
[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

[QUOTE="NBSRDan"] Besides, good developers (like Bungie) add aim-assist to circumvent the flaws of thumbstick control; and aim-assist doesn't mean "pull the trigger and your opponent automatically dies."DeathScape666

Just to clarify: Myst was not made by Bungie. They have made other games though,
g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 g805ge

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

mistablair

Just to clarify: Myst was not made by Bungie. They have made other games though,

I think he's talking about Myth. :P

mistablair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 mistablair
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts

[QUOTE="mistablair"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"] They made Myst, and a few other games before Halo for the PC.g805ge

I think he's talking about Myth. :P

Oh, that explains it then. I never played Myth, but I really enjoyed Myst back in the day.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Awesome thread, laid everything perfectly out there in a well formed argument. Although, there is of course those who are stuck in their opinion, mainly those who don't get why it's a great series, but you hit it on the nail in my opinion. With all the threads lately that make claims similar to yours but then only deliver with a one sentence fanboyish claim, it's refreshing to read something so well-thought out.
user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]If Halo was hyped more than sex, then it failed tremendously. I've only experienced the single player of it, and I still have to say it is loads better than anything Halo has ever offered. Plus, it has great replay value, and I frequently come back to it.

Took me a few reads to understand what you were saying.. now that I do: lol
jpKNOCKOUT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jpKNOCKOUT
Member since 2005 • 4393 Posts

"I'm pretty sure most gamers couldn't care less if a game's story is embarrassingly stupid as long as it's fun to play. A bad story does not single-handedly ruin a game. Bioshock is a good example of this."

wait, wtf - you DIDN'T like bioshock's story?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Your very first line was flat-out wrong. Halo: CE wasn't hyped up at all, the whole drive behind it being such an amazing game was because it came out of left fields and blew people away with how good it was. Before it came out and took off so well, Microsoft didn't bother making a single ad for it.
NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NBSRDan
Awesome thread, laid everything perfectly out there in a well formed argument. Although, there is of course those who are stuck in their opinion, mainly those who don't get why it's a great series, but you hit it on the nail in my opinion. With all the threads lately that make claims similar to yours but then only deliver with a one sentence fanboyish claim, it's refreshing to read something so well-thought out. rolo107
Why thank you, good sir. I am currently collecting ego points, and you have just brought me to a level-up.

"I'm pretty sure most gamers couldn't care less if a game's story is embarrassingly stupid as long as it's fun to play. A bad story does not single-handedly ruin a game. Bioshock is a good example of this."

wait, wtf - you DIDN'T like bioshock's story?

jpKNOCKOUT
Let's just say I enjoyed reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia a lot more than the game's own presentation.
Your very first line was flat-out wrong. Halo: CE wasn't hyped up at all, the whole drive behind it being such an amazing game was because it came out of left fields and blew people away with how good it was. Before it came out and took off so well, Microsoft didn't bother making a single ad for it.Ninja-Hippo
Any declaration of high quality is hype, atleast by the definition I'm using. It does not have to come from the publisher or before release. My thesis statement itself is hype, since it declares that Halo is deserving of the hype it received (deserving-ness determined by game quality.)