Halo 4 isn't running on a brand new Game Engine! - Report

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Well thats lame. I would be fine with them using the Reach engine as long as they fix Halo's god awful artstyle. Seriously, its so incredible bland and lifeless. They can do so much more with the heavy lore the Halo universe has.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#102 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

That´s nice! 720p and 30 fps locked would be a goos start. Or, of course, a launch tittle for the next Xbox.

BenGenio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#103 BenGenio
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

Halo needs a new engine that can produce a stable 50+ FPS at 720p.

2009 - Halo 3: ODST

2010 - Halo: Reach

2011 - Halo Anniversary

2012 - Halo 4

If this is not annualization, then what is it?

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#104 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

[QUOTE="enterawesome"][QUOTE="Zero5000X"] "resembling in every relevant respect" -Merriam-Webster

Zero5000X

Yep, that is the engine. The very same engine that has been used since Halo 2. It's been extensively modified and pushed to reach new levels, but the very core foundations have probably remained the same since Halo 2. I only say "probably" because I don't work at Bungie or 343, but they've said it is the Halo 2 engine.

you contradicted yourself.

No, I didn't. You seem to think that if something changes, it's a different thing altogether. Allow me to use an analogy (or something) to explain myself.

Imagine yourself as an infant. Imagine how young, naive, and small you were. Think forward, as years go by; you grow older, taller, stronger. The resemblances are fading. Now imagine in the future, you're an old man. You're balding (or your hair is gray), you're hunched over, wrinkly, and wise. Now I'm not saying that's what you were, are, or ever will be, but just think in your head of yourself as an infant, and place beside that your future, old-man self. Are still yourself? Are you still technically-speaking the same person? You've grown, changed, and improved (or degraded), but it's still you isn't it?

Now replace yourself with the Halo engine and the adjectives with technological jargon. I realize I've just taken this to a very philosophical place, but what say you now? Really, the Halo engine is still the same, how it's organized, where things go, the language, all that fundamental framework remains the same. It's just grown up and improved.

Com64-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Com64-2
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

If you have a 1 story house made of stones. You can modify it extend it using stones but you cant modify the house by replacing the stones to bricks. Then you have to tear it down and build a new one of bricks.

Bricks make it look better and give the house better insolation for the cold winthers.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

And this is suppossed to tell us how good the game will look? As everyone already said, Halo 3 run on a modified Halo 2 engine yet looks miles better. Halo Reach runs on a modified Halo 3 engine yet also looked a lot better and supported, if I remember correctly, twice as many AI on screen.

Even if they were to create a new engine.... would that make the game look a lot better? no, it's the same hardware which Reach's engine already seems to have pushed near its limit.

CoD isn't call a rehash because it keeps running every installment on the same engine but because the gameplay has actually been the same since CoD4.

Halo is different this way, the only time gameplay was recycled was from Halo 2 to 3 and even then that came with the graphical jump of going to a new generation console.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

2011 - Halo Anniversary

2012 - Halo 4

BenGenio

Yeah, there's been a lot of Halo-related games this generation; six in all. Halo 3 (Sept. 2007) and Halo Wars (Feb. 2009) as well, but they don't really count for "annualization", even though the releases are close overall. Anniversary is still an installment, albeit a remake.

I wonder if there'll be one in 2013? :P Maybe we'll be seeing (not playing) new consoles by then.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

And this is suppossed to tell us how good the game will look? As everyone already said, Halo 3 run on a modified Halo 2 engine yet looks miles better. Halo Reach runs on a modified Halo 3 engine yet also looked a lot better and supported, if I remember correctly, twice as many AI on screen.

Even if they were to create a new engine.... would that make the game look a lot better? no, it's the same hardware which Reach's engine already seems to have pushed near its limit.

CoD isn't call a rehash because it keeps running every installment on the same engine but because the gameplay has actually been the same since CoD4.

Halo is different this way, the only time gameplay was recycled was from Halo 2 to 3 and even then that came with the graphical jump of going to a new generation console.

alfredooo
Not even then. Dual wielding was pretty much useless in Halo 3, and there was equipment and such, plus the BR spread (DAMN YOU BUNGIE!!1!) and the return of the AR.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="BenGenio"]

2011 - Halo Anniversary

2012 - Halo 4

Episode_Eve

Yeah, there's been a lot of Halo-related games this generation; six in all. Halo 3 (Sept. 2007) and Halo Wars (Feb. 2009) as well, but they don't really count for "annualization", even though the releases are close overall. Anniversary is still an installment, albeit a remake.

I wonder if there'll be one in 2013? :P Maybe we'll be seeing (not playing) new consoles by then.

I doubt it. 343 isn't going to be able to make a Halo game in a year, and I don't see another Halo Wars or OSDT-esque game in the near future.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
All that really matters is that this game is getting a full 3 years of development, which would follow along with 1-3, and reach....
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

2011 - Halo Anniversary

2012 - Halo 4

BenGenio

Hardly fair. ODST was an expansion pack, and Anniversary is this year because ... well its Halos anniversary so it makes sense. There won't be a Halo game in 2013, and maybe not even 2014 (Bungie usually took 3 years to work on a main Halo game, although i don't know how 343 will work)

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

I got to say that I was more impressed with MW2 graphics(60fps,sub hd but 2xMSAA) than with Reach graphics(sub 30fps,sub hd,temporal AA).From shaders and lighting(especially interior) to shaders and character models.COD looked better.

AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

Well thats lame. I would be fine with them using the Reach engine as long as they fix Halo's god awful artstyle. Seriously, its so incredible bland and lifeless. They can do so much more with the heavy lore the Halo universe has.

mexicangordo

Um...WHAT

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

AugustusGraham

Um...WHAT

Yap.Bland and uninspiring.Its all barren...with simple lines and lots of purple.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="AugustusGraham"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Bus-A-Bus

Um...WHAT

Yap.Bland and uninspiring.Its all barren...with simple lines and lots of purple.

Insert *notsureifserious.jpeg here* Um... what? Halo's art style is awful?
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Wow, so they are going the Call of Duty route and not ever making a new engine, just making petty tweaks here and there.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#118 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="AugustusGraham"]Um...WHAT

DarkLink77

I love it but art style cant be good or bad. Just opinion.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#119 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

PAL360

I love it but art style cant be good or bad. Just opinion.

Well objectively Halo's art style is inspired and unique. There's not much else like it besides the things that try to rip off it. It's heavy sci-fi without being bland and colorless. He may not like it, but it isn't bad.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#120 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Why would it? The Reach engine was a pretty massive overhaul, and the game looked beautiful.
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="AugustusGraham"]Um...WHAT

DarkLink77

Yea.Whole artstyle is bad IMO.Its a bit to childish.AI look terrible,cities look very simple and honestly,I'm not that big of a fan for colors.And i mean purple,red,green and that sort of stuff.Crysis 2 use of colors is perfect.Halo looks like c.r.a.p. ME series made much better work on space side than Halo IMO.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

Yea.Whole artstyle is bad IMO.Its a bit to childish.AI look terrible,cities look very simple and honestly,I'm not that big of a fan for colors.And i mean purple,red,green and that sort of stuff.Crysis 2 use of colors is perfect.Halo looks like c.r.a.p. ME series made much better work on space side than Halo IMO.

Bland, barren and too colourful. what?
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Insert *notsureifserious.jpeg here* Um... what? Halo's art style is awful?Ninja-Hippo

Bland, barren and too colourful. what?

What I mean by barren is more...huh...Take Crysis 2 for example.Lots of fire,smoke,water dripping and leaves flying around you.There more complex geometry and much more decals.Halo is very simplistic in design(thats why i called it bland and barren).Here...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Ninja-Hippo
That screen is beautiful. :| The skybox is awesome.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

cool I just want to play it

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

DarkLink77
Not even then. Dual wielding was pretty much useless in Halo 3, and there was equipment and such, plus the BR spread (DAMN YOU BUNGIE!!1!) and the return of the AR.

Awww man, I loved duel wielding the needler. :P
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#127 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

(thats why i called it bland and barren).Here...

Bus-A-Bus

That image is anything but bland or barren. lol

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Bus-A-Bus

Well,thats where we part ways :) I find it pretty meh.Especially lighting.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="alfredooo"]

Heil68

Awww man, I loved duel wielding the needler. :P

Dual wielding the needler was overpowered as all f***. Good times. :)