Halo 3: Improvements you didn't see.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Look at this image. The grunt in the foreground has no mouthpiece (ugly little bugga, ain't he?). His breathing apparatus is on the ground.

I'm not saying this is a FPS marvel or anything, but for the Halo games, it could add a bit more variety.

I mean, are they going to suffocate on Earth's and Halo's atmosphere? Could this bring down the morale of other grunts to see their peers suffer terrible deaths via suffocation, causing them to flee faster than just killing them all (essentially, the same effect as killing a Brute leader)?

It's not anything significant now, but it's cool nonetheless. With the Saved Films feature, who knows what kind of videos guys will come up with :)

But what is significant is that if you watched the E3 trailer for hints..... did anyone see a fourth grenade in the Chief's arsenal?

ninjabeaver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ninjabeaver1
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Aww grunts are not as cute as I thought they were. =(

Good observation never the less. (^^)d

jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts
Man I can't wait to stick a grenade to one of them.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

man! they're even uglier than I thought! I used to feel sorry for those things, but now, I won't think twice before putting a 3-shot burst through their heads. They look like some kind of childhood nightmare.

the effect on their morale? yeah, they'd probably run away evenif you clapped your hands in front of their faces.

Diablo2343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Diablo2343
Member since 2003 • 982 Posts
Take if for what you will. One of the guys from X-play on G4 said he saw gameplay atthe Micrsoft booth at E3-said it looks much better than the E3 trailer showed.
-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
Can't wait... despite the haters, I think Bungie really pulled through and made one hell of a good looking game.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FrozenLiquid

Take if for what you will. One of the guys from X-play on G4 said he saw gameplay atthe Micrsoft booth at E3-said it looks much better than the E3 trailer showed.Diablo2343

Everyone's been saying that.

I'm just saying, you can shoot off the Grunt's breathing appartus. I'm sure you can shoot of Brute armour too...

turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

This game is going to be something else :)

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FrozenLiquid

Can't wait... despite the haters, I think Bungie really pulled through and made one hell of a good looking game.-Beowulf

I swear there's another guy wit hthe same name as you.

fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts
Ok ok I'm hyped enough for the damn game already. What do you want me to do pee my pants?
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
I think the fourth grenade is your "equipment." Like a trip mine.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FrozenLiquid

Ok ok I'm hyped enough for the damn game already. What do you want me to do pee my pants?fanboy999

Kinda.

Rest assured they'll keep surprises all the way 'til release.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FrozenLiquid

I think the fourth grenade is your "equipment." Like a trip mine.Spartan070

Nah, there was a "0" next to the icon. Equipment, to our knowledge and the way Bungie wants it to be used, does not stack up.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I think the fourth grenade is your "equipment." Like a trip mine.FrozenLiquid

Nah, there was a "0" next to the icon. Equipment, to our knowledge and the way Bungie wants it to be used, does not stack up.

Interesting...*goes to watch trailer again*

kiwisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kiwisama
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

they look like turtles.

and how you guys see those little details >_

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spartan070

There was definitely another object in the chiefs grenade arsenal. It was definitely something you could have more than 1 of.

OMG

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FrozenLiquid

they look like turtles.

and how you guys see those little details >_

kiwisama

And funny how they can kick a single marine's a$$ though, huh? Only when you got a super cyborg soldier do they take not and run.

And how can we see details? Funny, I thought the cows noticed how bad the graphics were in Halo 3. So they should have noticed that too.....

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FrozenLiquid

There was definitely another object in the chiefs grenade arsenal. It was definitely something you could have more than 1 of.

OMG

Spartan070

Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!

Could be a napalm bomb.... lot's of fire in the trailer.....

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I think they will blow up into beautiful butterflies when they lose their masks.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
I noticed the fourth grenade... and as for the grunts, i'd love it if you could pull off what he does in the books where he gets a perfect shot through the methane pipe turning one of the grunts into an involuntary flame thrower.
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

OMG

FrozenLiquid

Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!

I love fire...alot :shock:

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

OMG

FrozenLiquid

Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!

:o If it's a portable napalm bomb....OMG...imagine tossing those at ground troops as you fly over via man-cannon....O.M.G.....!!!!!
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan070

I noticed the fourth grenade... and as for the grunts, i'd love it if you could pull off what he does in the books where he gets a perfect shot through the methane pipe turning one of the grunts into an involuntary flame thrower.Ninja-Vox

I immeadiately thought of that too.:D It would be like the Grunt Birthday Party skull where every grunt explodes like a plasma grenade after dying.:twisted:

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="Diablo2343"]Take if for what you will. One of the guys from X-play on G4 said he saw gameplay atthe Micrsoft booth at E3-said it looks much better than the E3 trailer showed.FrozenLiquid

I'm just saying, you can shoot off the Grunt's breathing appartus. I'm sure you can shoot of Brute armour too...

You can! They have plate armour, bits of metal sort of strapped on where its needed, as opposed to MC and the elites where it's more of a suit. You see bits of their armour flying off as they get shot in the trailer.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Napalm Bomb sounds good, been wondering why it hasnt really made an appearance in FPS games.

But it could be more of a Utility grenade aswell (Flash / Concussion / EMP?)

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spartan070
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Diablo2343"]Take if for what you will. One of the guys from X-play on G4 said he saw gameplay atthe Micrsoft booth at E3-said it looks much better than the E3 trailer showed.Ninja-Vox

You can! They have plate armour, bits of metal sort of strapped on where its needed, as opposed to MC and the elites where it's more of a suit. You see bits of their armour flying off as they get shot in the trailer.

At 1:12 or 1:13, the Chief melees a brute in the face and the Brutes helmet goes flying:o!!!

Must see if you missed it!

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts

I noticed that as well :)

Could be a similar thing to the life support in Resistance. Hehe, they're like snapping turtles.

TemplaerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 TemplaerDude
Member since 2003 • 15254 Posts
Grunts look really freaking mean.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Spartan070
To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:D
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]I think the fourth grenade is your "equipment." Like a trip mine.Spartan070

Interesting...*goes to watch trailer again*

I played the Beta so I'll clarify :) Equipment is entirely different from grenades. There are only 3 grenade types (Frag, Plasma, and Spike) and you'll always have the three grenade icons on the HUD with a number to indicare how many, even if '0'. An Equipment icon will appear ONLY if you're actually holding one, appearing to the right of the grenade icons. You can only carry one Equipment itme at a time (Grav lift, Bubble shield, Trip mine, Power drainer) so the icon changes depending on which you are carrying.

Also grenades are still thrown with the left trigger, while Equipment is deployed with the X button. Reason being, you don't throw the equipement into the distance, but drop it on the ground near your feet.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdobeArtist  Moderator

To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:DSpartan070

My prediction on this, it will be configured around Achievements, something the 1st Xbox didn't have so they decided for you which character you played in the different chapters.

What I foresee in Halo 3 is that certain chapters will give you a pop up menu to choose who you want to play through as, MC or Arbiter - much like you had those direction choices on GeoW. Or maybe you'll choose a direction and that will determine your character - so it's a different expereince with each. This would lead to seperate achievements for each character you complete the chapters with - since the best implementation of Achievements is to get you to replay through parts of a game in different ways each time.

Anyway, just my theory, but you can see them implementing achievments that way :)

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FrozenLiquid

To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:DSpartan070

You probably can like how you can play Dom in Gears of War.

Oh, and I love how the Chief grabs the Arbiter by the jaws and the Arbiter is just like "Dude......."

Or you could make fun of it by pretending the Chief found his true love :lol:

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 smokeydabear076
Are you going to cry for weeks when you see the Arbiter die?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:Dsmokeydabear076

If he was martyr, I don't think he would cry.

I don't think the Chief will though, coz Cortana's probably going to kick the bucket instead. They were like two sides of the same coin.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"]To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:Dsmokeydabear076

I will die of dehydration from crying all the moisture out of my body...:cry:

...seriously...best gaming character ever...I DON"T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

lohithbms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lohithbms
Member since 2005 • 5081 Posts
Saw a similar thread on Bungir.net...ru the same guy
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:DFrozenLiquid

I don't think the Chief will though, coz Cortana's probably going to kick the bucket instead. They were like two sides of the same coin.

I hope the Arbiter dies in a random way, like out of the blue he gets his head blown off by a Jackal. It would really surprise me.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:DSpartan070

...seriously...best gaming character ever...I DON"T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think it would be fitting if the Arbiter had to face off against the main Covenant personalities (Truth and the new Brute leader), and the Chief actually stops the actual destruction of all life via accessing the Control Room(s) or something along those lines.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Spartan070

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Spartan070"]To me the best thing so far in Halo 3 is that the Arbiter and the Chief figt side by side. I hope you can choose to be the Arbiter for those scenes.:DFrozenLiquid

I hope Dr Catherine Halsey shows up at the end(preferably with Kelly087 and the remains of the Gamma Team of Spartan IIIs) and saves Cortana. Besides, Smart AIs have a 7 year life span, I know there have been a bunch of intagibles Cortana has had to deal with, especially in the books, but I think she still has like2 or 3 years left.

Anyway, hope she gets salvaged.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FrozenLiquid

Saw a similar thread on Bungir.net...ru the same guylohithbms

Nope, just realized it was a brand new thread and posted it here too!

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ninja-Vox

I played the Beta so I'll clarify :) Equipment is entirely different from grenades. There are only 3 grenade types (Frag, Plasma, and Spike) and you'll always have the three grenade icons on the HUD with a number to indicare how many, even if '0'. An Equipment icon will appear ONLY if you're actually holding one, appearing to the right of the grenade icons. You can only carry one Equipment itme at a time (Grav lift, Bubble shield, Trip mine, Power drainer) so the icon changes depending on which you are carrying.

Also grenades are still thrown with the left trigger, while Equipment is deployed with the X button. Reason being, you don't throw the equipement into the distance, but drop it on the ground near your feet.

AdobeArtist

I think everyone is well aware of that... in the trailer there's a FOURTH grenade icon though. Not equipment.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FrozenLiquid

I hope Dr Catherine Halsey shows up at the end(preferably with Kelly087 and the remains of the Gamma Team of Spartan IIIs) and saves Cortana. Besides, Smart AIs have a 7 year life span, I know there have been a bunch of intagibles Cortana has had to deal with, especially in the books, but I think she still has like2 or 3 years left.

Spartan070

Argh!

No more GoO, I haven't finished it!

But yeah, Smart AIs have 7 years, but that's without rampancy, correct? And let's just say Cortana's not exactly herself....

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Spartan070

I think it would be fitting if the Arbiter had to face off against the main Covenant personalities (Truth and the new Brute leader), and the Chief actually stops the actual destruction of all life via accessing the Control Room(s) or something along those lines.

FrozenLiquid
I'd be cool with that, as long as he was remembered by the humans he saved.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

Way too cliche.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Ninja-Vox

I think everyone is well aware of that... in the trailer there's a FOURTH grenade icon though. Not equipment.

Yeah we all played the Beta dude.

That icon was exactly the same as having a Spike, Frag, or Plasma. Watch the trailer again.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdobeArtist  Moderator
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Ninja-Vox

You're sure it isn't the equipment icon? Maybe I have to check that trailer again :|

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"]

FrozenLiquid

Argh!

No more GoO, I haven't finished it!

But yeah, Smart AIs have 7 years, but that's without rampancy, correct? And let's just say Cortana's not exactly herself....

Sorry, I'll remember to use the spoiler feature if I'm ever talking about the books again.:oops:
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Spartan070

You're sure it isn't the equipment icon? Maybe I have to check that trailer again :|

AdobeArtist

Try 49 or 50 seconds into the trailer.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FrozenLiquid

Way too cliche.smokeydabear076

No, it's fitting. And, if done right, it won't be cliche.

Cliches are fine if they're well told. No one complained about Half Life, did they?

I mean, I'd love to see the Chief try enter the Control Room whilst Cortana is screwing with his mind.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]Way too cliche.FrozenLiquid

No, it's fitting. And, if done right, it won't be cliche.

Cliches are fine if they're well told. No one complained about Half Life, did they?

I mean, I'd love to see the Chief try enter the Control Room whilst Cortana is screwing with his mind.

It is going to be cliche whether you like it or not.