Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:

@BassMan: After Episode 2, it wasn't as good as I hope at the time and afterwards, Valve wanted to do HL3 but never went to development and when they got rich due to Steam, I stop caring for HL series and after all this time, they want to come back and making games now? Sorry but I move on from HL series.

I am not happy with the lack of games from Valve either, but if they announced HL3, I would be just as excited now as I would be back then. No sense in holding a grudge. It's like one of your favorite bands getting back together for a new album. All is forgiven as long as the game is good. :)

I still hold a grudge to this day. Can't say I'll give it a shot but if the reception is well receive, I'll look into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The best thing Gabe can do is say that if this sells well he'll use the funds to make a proper Half Life game. Watch it sell by the shit ton and then say it didn't match sales expectations a year later, and officially announce HL3 as dead.

That would be the best troll ever :)

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@BassMan: I'd seem weird to announce Half Life 3 now.

The only reason Valve is bringing back the Half Life IP now is for their VR headset.

They are definitely pushing VR. However, this may renew their mojo for Half-Life in general. They have had other interests over the years to keep them busy and they said they are focused on making more games now. So, there is still hope for more traditional HL games.

If HL:A does well then there will only be more HL VR games. They're not going to suddenly take the franchise that's known for breaking new ground and have a massive step back for HL3.

It's simple. If we ever get HL3, it will be another VR game but probably with BCI input or haptic gloves as the new gameplay innovation to revolutionize things again.

So, the game can't be made unless it is revolutionary? Why does HL3 have to be a revolutionary game? What other game has this expectation/burden?

Because this is Valve and this is how they feel the series should be treated, and I'm glad. I'd much rather have a title that can push things forward.

And I suppose nothing else does. HL3 is the most anticipated game there has ever been.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#54 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

@darthbuzzard said:
@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

The only reason Valve is bringing back the Half Life IP now is for their VR headset.

They are definitely pushing VR. However, this may renew their mojo for Half-Life in general. They have had other interests over the years to keep them busy and they said they are focused on making more games now. So, there is still hope for more traditional HL games.

If HL:A does well then there will only be more HL VR games. They're not going to suddenly take the franchise that's known for breaking new ground and have a massive step back for HL3.

It's simple. If we ever get HL3, it will be another VR game but probably with BCI input or haptic gloves as the new gameplay innovation to revolutionize things again.

So, the game can't be made unless it is revolutionary? Why does HL3 have to be a revolutionary game? What other game has this expectation/burden?

Because this is Valve and this is how they feel the series should be treated, and I'm glad. I'd much rather have a title that can push things forward.

And I suppose nothing else does. HL3 is the most anticipated game there has ever been.

It sounds like a bullshit excuse if that is indeed the only way they will make the game. It is hard as hell to have something revolutionary these days. Gaming is no longer in its infancy. There are so many games from so many developers. Many people have tried different things. It is about evolution and iteration these days. To hold out on a story driven series just because they can't come up with another revolutionary game is silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

VR is great hopefully this game will turn out good and more people will try VR because of it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

Being a massive Half-Life fan, I'd be very curious to see what this is and how it turns out.

But being a VR game... meh.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Should be awesome on the Index. Can't wait.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#58 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Even I got excited only having played a little bit of the first game but .....

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Duke Nukem Forever had its own hype bubble. As i have said earlier, DNF would have just been shrugged off as a mediocre Halo clone if it weren't for the hype bubble. Instead, said bubble was what caused the game to be panned as the worst game of 2011 even when games genuinely worse than DNF were released at that time.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:

It sounds like a bullshit excuse if that is indeed the only way they will make the game. It is hard as hell to have something revolutionary these days. Gaming is no longer in its infancy. There are so many games from so many developers. Many people have tried different things. It is about evolution and iteration these days. To hold out on a story driven series just because they can't come up with another revolutionary game is silly.

Not with vr headsets it is not, frankly skyrim vr , fallout 4 vr is revolutionary, but these are just ported vr games.

halflife may be ported too, but halflife has one advantage compared to skyrim and fallout , there a good mixture of action and storytelling. Skyrim and fallout are rpg and in vr it can be abit annoying. It is really a lot less interesting in vr managing inventory, weapon and character setups,going to shops and so on.

Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing but you'd be suprised how many times you get into belethor shop and you're thinking, oh crap i have to go through this again. Same thing if you go to your house to store stuff, In vr I only pick up the bare necessities, I don't even bother with smithing or enchanting. In vr all these things become a chore quite fast.

The adventures are still amazing tho, so I have high hopes for this halflife game, I just hope they updated the graphics. I mean halflife 2 is a game from almost 3 gens ago and in vr those old graphics are a lot more disturbing.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8773 Posts

Not very interested anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@warmblur said:

VR is great hopefully this game will turn out good and more people will try VR because of it.

I think it will be the opposite, this is like Valve pissing all over Half Life fans because none of them asked for a VR game, but a fully fledged part 3.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

@flashn00b said:

Duke Nukem Forever had its own hype bubble. As i have said earlier, DNF would have just been shrugged off as a mediocre Halo clone if it weren't for the hype bubble. Instead, said bubble was what caused the game to be panned as the worst game of 2011 even when games genuinely worse than DNF were released at that time.

Duke nukem forver was a bad game simply because it was a bad game.

It had nothing to do with the hype. The game being in development for 10 years, disappearing off the face of the earth and suddenly releasing out of nowhere... who on this planet was hyped for it?

If what you are claiming is true, can you provide a source on hype articles, hype threads, just hype in general for Duke Nukem Forever?

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DarthBuzzard

@commander said:
@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:

Not with vr headsets it is not, frankly skyrim vr , fallout 4 vr is revolutionary, but these are just ported vr games.

halflife may be ported too, but halflife has one advantage compared to skyrim and fallout , there a good mixture of action and storytelling. Skyrim and fallout are rpg and in vr it can be abit annoying. It is really a lot less interesting in vr managing inventory, weapon and character setups,going to shops and so on.

Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing but you'd be suprised how many times you get into belethor shop and you're thinking, oh crap i have to go through this again. Same thing if you go to your house to store stuff, In vr I only pick up the bare necessities, I don't even bother with smithing or enchanting. In vr all these things become a chore quite fast.

The adventures are still amazing tho, so I have high hopes for this halflife game, I just hope they updated the graphics. I mean halflife 2 is a game from almost 3 gens ago and in vr those old graphics are a lot more disturbing.

Good news. It's not a remake of any kind. It's a prequel to 2 with 12-16 hours of gameplay.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DarthBuzzard
@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

I think it will be the opposite, this is like Valve pissing all over Half Life fans because none of them asked for a VR game, but a fully fledged part 3.

This will age so terribly. When this game gets bad or mediocre reviews, you can slam me. But when it gets like a mid 90s score on metacritic, I win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@darthbuzzard said:
@i_p_daily said:
@warmblur said:

This will age so terribly. When this game gets bad or mediocre reviews, you can slam me. But when it gets like a mid 90s score on metacritic, I win.

What does scores have to do with anything? you think the true fans who have been waiting years for HL3 will suddenly jump for joy if it sits at 90% on Metashitic? Maybe try reading this thread with your eyes open.

Keep trying as someday you may finally convince someone to give a damn about VR, today is not that day though :)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: Honestly, I don't give a damn about HL series anymore right after I was done with Episode 2. Valve is dead-weight to me and whatever Gabe does, I won't bother with the series at all.

I agree with this.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Because those two things are exclusively related :rollseyes:

Haven't posted on here in ages; good to see you're still posting the same pointless nonsense. Way to grow.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#69 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@ghosts4ever: Because those two things are exclusively related :rollseyes:

Haven't posted on here in ages; good to see you're still posting the same pointless nonsense. Way to grow.

thats not nonsense. it true.

Valve has lost so many talent, abondon its fan and we fans were asking HL3 for decades and they keep silent for 2 decades nearly. then came up with some VR game that will be installed in theme park for tickets and attraction for casuals.

thats not how it work.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I have about 20% hope for this to become something worthwhile. I still believe that this game won't enrich the Half-Life universe at all, and I'm expecting some shitty VR demonstrator similar to that H-L 2 Lost Coast tech demo level.

Hope I'm wrong

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

Kinda feels like Valve are almost done doing small VR tech demos and now wants to create a new and more ambitious tech demo, using a well known and liked name like Half-Life in order to be able to sell more of it and their VR headsets.

Fine. Feels like a slap in the face to HL fans, but I see what Valve is trying to do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

Just a few hours now until the FPS genre is saved once again, buckle up tight kiddos.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I'll pass on it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#74 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

"A new Half-Life game has been officially confirmed!"

Yay!

"And it's a VR title!"

LOL

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Valve should just assemble a team of Bioshock 1 devs, Dishonored devs, and Dues Ex devs to make the third game so people can stop talking about it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 IgGy621985
@uninspiredcup said:

Just a few hours now until the FPS genre is saved once again, buckle up tight kiddos.

The announcement is tomorrow

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#77 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

And here was me sitting waiting.

God dammit.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think it’s 25h left. 18 GMT?

They can make a new halflife, but can’t be bothered to make a countdown timer 😡

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 IgGy621985
@uninspiredcup said:

And here was me sitting waiting.

God dammit.

Yeah. Some outlets misread Valve's tweet. I was confused, too.

@Sushiglutton said:

I think it’s 25h left. 18 GMT?

They can make a new halflife, but can’t be bothered to make a countdown timer 😡

Yup, 18h GMT. Or 19h CET.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#80 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Bump

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#81 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Bump

In next year. this game will fit in some theme park like other VR games and kids will purchase a ticket to try out for 10 minutes.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#82 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

They are saying it's not a side story but a full fledged next chapter in Half Life universe. It's a good news because it means Valve is interested in returning to the franchise. If this is reality, then Half Life 3 will follow after it for sure. Looks good enough. I'm curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: That first screenshot looking over City 17 is amazing.

Damn I wish this was getting a non-VR release too :(

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

It looks awesome and definitely like a single player experience we expect from Valve. The graphics look awesome too so this gives me hope that Source 2 engine games in the future will be lookers. Now I really wanna see a new Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress game on that engine. I hope they make a non vr version in the future or at the very least allow modding so modders can make a non VR version. I was expecting the trailer to get dislike bombed into oblivion but everyone loves it. This VR title could actually be a good step in Valve getting their mojo back on the Half Life series before making HL3 or any other spinoffs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Watching the Combine ride Striders through the city in VR is gonna be one of the coolest things ever

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I just watched that trailer, now I need to make sure I have a good VR set when this drops.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#88 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm intrigued. This looks really cool. Detailed physics interaction. Awesome presentation / voice acting. Interesting story setup. Valve humor. I'm into this.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Trailer:

Loading Video...

oh good lawd. ten years of abandonment forgiven via a single trailer

except for the forcing me to buy vr bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

I'm gonna be disappointed if you cant stealth takedown Civil Protection by physically sleeper holding them during stealth missions through the apartments

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

@BassMan said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Because that's what the series is known for. I think I said it in the past that if HL ever to return it will be for VR. No way in hell Valve is going to make a traditional HL game. Being a private company not hurting for cash, valve can afford to do what it wishes. This is precisely the reason Gabe left MS.