Hack lets Oblivion and Fallout 3 mods to be run on PS3

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

PSB writes: The hacking scene is abuzz with reports that you can now run PC mods for both Elders Scroll: Oblivion and Fallout 3 on your PS3.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

PS3 coudlnt handle half of the mods

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts
lmao, half of the good mods would cripple the PS3's hardware.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

This will be awesome until your PS3 catches on fire

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

The gamebryo engine treats mods the same way it treats DLC, so by simply renaming the mods to the names of the DLC you can run them.

But you will get huge performence issues with more complex mods.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
This is cool. I'm glad people are doing this kind of stuff... is custom firmware really such a bad thing, Sony? It's not like piracy on the PS3 is likely to spread like wildfire anyways... not that many people have Blu-Ray burners, and since the games are 25+ GB downloading them would take ages thus making them less convenient for file sharers.
vkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vkun
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

+1 Geohotz

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

PS3: It only does PC mods.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Oh I am not surprised that could work, and it is damn cool. Only issue is when the hardware itself simply can't handle the increased poly counts and hardware straining of modifications. Which is why mods simply won't ever work properly on fixed hardware, even UT3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

What the **** is up with some of the pc elitist comments? This is ****ing great for ps3

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
AF Leveling mod Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Francesco's Leveled mod get to it PS3 owners, make your Oblivion playable and actually fun PS3 version > 360 version confirmed
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

AF Leveling mod Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Francesco's Leveled mod get to it PS3 owners, make your Oblivion playable and actually fun PS3 version > 360 version confirmedBrownesque

a lot of those will never be able to run, to demanding on recources.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
so now the PS3 does boobs? :o How much you want to bet that support for Geohotz just went up 1000% :P
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]AF Leveling mod Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Francesco's Leveled mod get to it PS3 owners, make your Oblivion playable and actually fun PS3 version > 360 version confirmedcobrax55

a lot of those will never be able to run, to demanding on recources.

Those are not graphics mods, they're mods to change the way you level up, some AI routines, equipment, they either remove level scaling or alter it so that enemy levels are more realistically designed, e.g. a minotaur is stronger than a goblin, etc. How is it that would not be able to run?
Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

Altough i dont support it, i hope sony takes this idea to ps4 to support mods while making it more secure

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23928 Posts

Nice. Just nice, now owners of the PS3 version of Oblivion can enjoy Oblivion hopefully without all the design flaws, I hope they can use the Oblivion Script Extender though (OBSE). I also hope they can play Nehrim.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

AF Leveling mod Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Francesco's Leveled mod get to it PS3 owners, make your Oblivion playable and actually fun PS3 version > 360 version confirmedBrownesque

the 360 version also allows mods if you do you know what on your 360

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

What the **** is up with some of the pc elitist comments? This is ****ing great for ps3

Robbazking

Because 80% of the mods for Oblivion and F3, will cripple the PS3. Considering the fact that it's a pathetically outdated piece of tech., which is nothing more then a gimped PC. :P

At least the Wii is somewhat unique with it's games.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Robbazking
Oh its ok with who cares about mods... PC gaming is dying. But its not ok when PC gamers say the console cant handle them? Console gamers are more graphic whore then PC gamers when it come to graphics. The first thing they will try to do is use graphic mods.
iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

Now watch as former Geohotz bashers start to support him :lol:

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts
lmao, half of the good mods would cripple the PS3's hardware.w4rrior17
You think? Lol.
Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

PSB writes: The hacking scene is abuzz with reports that you can now run PC mods for both Elders Scroll: Oblivion and Fallout 3 on your PS3.

killzonexbox

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Now watch as former Geohotz bashers start to support him :lol:

iAtrocious

My position was, and remains, that the hack does not spell the end of times for PS3, as so many people claimed in the huge threads just following the hack. In fact, in those threads, and I even raised the point that everyone was making a big deal about how PSN would be nothing but cheaters running mods, but wasn't it just as possible that ps3 would possibly get pc-like (beneficial) mods, and not just cheater hacks. Looks like I called that one... Either way, I still don't agree with Geohotz and Failoverflow.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Robbazking

Why is it knowing what you are talking about, and elitist, seems to go hand in hand in SW?

If you use mods that increase the workload on a fixed hardware system, it will hurt performance.

jjccjj92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jjccjj92
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]

AnnoyedDragon

Why is it knowing what you are talking about, and elitist, seems to go hand in hand in SW?

If you use mods that increase the workload on a fixed hardware system, it will hurt performance.

So? There are a lot of great non-graphics mods for Oblivion.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

This is cool. I'm glad people are doing this kind of stuff... is custom firmware really such a bad thing, Sony? It's not like piracy on the PS3 is likely to spread like wildfire anyways... not that many people have Blu-Ray burners, and since the games are 25+ GB downloading them would take ages thus making them less convenient for file sharers.Messiahbolical-

It doesn't matter, if the company says Not allowed, then is not allowed, hopefully this custome firmwares will get banned too if people want to enjoy the mods of this games, get the PC version.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AnnoyedDragon

So? There are a lot of great non-graphics mods for Oblivion.jjccjj92

If they don't impact the games workload, which is more than just graphical mods, then they should run fine.

But honestly, PC gamers constantly get accused of being elitist for just telling the truth.

NWA90s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NWA90s
Member since 2010 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]

Lucianu

Because 80% of the mods for Oblivion and F3, will cripple the PS3. Considering the fact that it's a pathetically outdated piece of tech., which is nothing more then a gimped PC. :P

At least the Wii is somewhat unique IMO with it's games.

corrected your mistake :D
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

[QUOTE="Brownesque"]AF Leveling mod Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Francesco's Leveled mod get to it PS3 owners, make your Oblivion playable and actually fun PS3 version > 360 version confirmedohthemanatee

the 360 version also allows mods if you do you know what on your 360

Was waiting for someone to mention this. In 2011 the PS3 enters 360 gaming circa 2008.
sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

lol it would be sick if ps3 players could play nehrim. i doubt it but i tell all my console friends and i showed them the mod on my pc and they think its so cool

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

It's not only graphics mods that make oblivion more demanding. A lot of mods use scripts which can make the game A LOT more cpu demanding,
e.g OOO lowers performance quite a lot without really making the game look muchbetter.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Well this is really what I had in mind when Sony was bragging about it being open platform and everything.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="jjccjj92"]So? There are a lot of great non-graphics mods for Oblivion.AnnoyedDragon

If they don't impact the games workload, which is more than just graphical mods, then they should run fine.

But honestly, PC gamers constantly get accused of being elitist for just telling the truth.

Do You guys (consolers) know how much work is needed to get those mods working on the PS3? Because most here in SW complain about having to do simple upgrades, maintenance, and other things on Pc. Now all of a sudden that doesnot matter, thats hypocritical. You have to use programs and transfer data correctly to the PS3 Hdd directly to the game install on the drive, which means some computer know how. I dont see the point having to do all that extra work for the console version when the Pc version is drag and drop and enabling the mods.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

04dcarraher

Do You guys (consolers) know how much work is needed to get those mods working on the PS3? Because most here in SW complain about having to do simple upgrades, maintenance, and other things on Pc. Now all of a sudden that doesnot matter, thats hypocritical. You have to use programs and transfer data correctly to the PS3 Hdd directly to the game install on the drive, which means some computer know how. I dont see the point having to do all that extra work for the console version when the Pc version is drag and drop and enabling the mods.

With fixed hardware it would be easier to get them to work on the PS3, but I do agree that the only support these things when it fits their argument or platform.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
[QUOTE="tempest91"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

With fixed hardware it would be easier to get them to work on the PS3, but I do agree that they only support these things when it fits their argument or platform.

Well, the problem is that which start adding and changing data from the game you run into issues you could most likely cant fix on a closed system because of new textures and meshes that are incompatible. Now just changing simple spell effects and item stats wouldnt be hard to do
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

psn is screwed

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AnnoyedDragon

With fixed hardware it would be easier to get them to work on the PS3, but I do agree that the only support these things when it fits their argument or platform.

tempest91

Fixed hardware helps in development, I doubt it helps when it comes to copying over PC mods in a unofficial manner. Fixed hardware acts more as a barrier in this case, because you are adding on top of what is already pushing the system. As console gamers say, consoles don't have to account for background processes, they can dedicate everything available to the game. Everything available, so what happens when you increase the workload?

What would work on PS3 really depends on the mod, don't think about doubling the character texture resolution; or anything like that.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
This is the first upside to Geo's master key that i've read... The rest is just clearly piracy and cheating.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

I call BS, until I see it....

I mean why bother? I thought PC was teh catz pajamas, so why are these hackers dedicating soo much of thier 'skills' and time hacking the ps3

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#41 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

This is cool. I'm glad people are doing this kind of stuff... is custom firmware really such a bad thing, Sony? It's not like piracy on the PS3 is likely to spread like wildfire anyways... not that many people have Blu-Ray burners, and since the games are 25+ GB downloading them would take ages thus making them less convenient for file sharers.Messiahbolical-

*looks at PSP's forests*

I'm not saying piracy singlehandedly killed the PSP, but damn near everyone of my friends or acquantices have hacked the crap out of the PSP.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Not worth crashing your ps3 imo for some better textures....

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Somewhere out there, there's probably someone calling Sony because their PS3 "crashed" ;)

TheRealLisaAnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 TheRealLisaAnn
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts
@ dsgsdfgf "It's not only graphics mods that make oblivion more demanding. A lot of mods use scripts which can make the game A LOT more cpu demanding, e.g OOO lowers performance quite a lot without really making the game look muchbetter." So are you trying to say that the PS3 cell processor cannot handle the same thing as a PC? That is stretching things a bit, me thinks. A normal PC does not have 7 co-processors last time I checked.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#45 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Now all the hate toward Geohotz on this forum will be forgotten and he will be the most loved guy by cows.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
oblivion graphic mods would run like crap on the ps3.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Well, that's pretty cool, but I doubt they'd work very well.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

I call BS, until I see it....

I mean why bother? I thought PC was teh catz pajamas, so why are these hackers dedicating soo much of thier 'skills' and time hacking the ps3

Zaibach

Did you even read the OP? And hackers don't put their skills exclusively to pc, its already cracked (Windows anyway), apparently the ps3 was another challenge for them.

@ dsgsdfgf "It's not only graphics mods that make oblivion more demanding. A lot of mods use scripts which can make the game A LOT more cpu demanding, e.g OOO lowers performance quite a lot without really making the game look muchbetter." So are you trying to say that the PS3 cell processor cannot handle the same thing as a PC? That is stretching things a bit, me thinks. A normal PC does not have 7 co-processors last time I checked.TheRealLisaAnn

Last time I checked teh cElL is not clocked at the same speed as that of a normal quad core.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50568 Posts

Altough i dont support it, i hope sony takes this idea to ps4 to support mods while making it more secure

Sandvichman
Ps3 already supports mods, it's just up to the developers as far as I know. UT3 had mods on Ps3.