GTA LC would still smoke consoles

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Yes gta liberty cities that expansion pack on gta IV, well it's basically the gta IV map

Today, I booted up the game with my i5-3470 and r9 280x (which is basically a highly overclocked 7970). Basically you could say the system is roughly twice the power of the ps4. I got the parts pretty cheap. I used the second handed parts and paid around 400$. I bought the r9 recently the other parts were from last year.

Well, I knew I couldn't max the game out on my old 7870xt and i5-2500 , so I tried again. This time I could max it out, getting benchmarked around roughly 43 fps (of course the benchmark is pretty stressy). With vsync on, the game hovers like in the 50's while playing, with dips in the high 30's when a lot is going on.

Finally after 7 years I can max out the game yay. Still it's not like I have much headroom here. Running the game on the ps4 at these settings would smoke the thing. Frankly the game doesn't look all that different from gta V on the ps4 (or xboxone for that matter), of course you don't get the nauseau while playing because the framerate is a bit higher.

So there you have it, we knew the consoles were weak, but that weak? It's like the x360 and ps3 that cant 't run the pc version of gta 3, or halflife 2, or even... abe's oddworld?

In 1080p of course

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

cool story bro, but GTA IV shouldn't be used for power comparisons

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

What about the part where Grand Theft Auto 4 sucks as a game, because the shooting mechanics are abysmal, the story wouldn't hold under any scrutiny when held to actual story telling standards and not the lower than fucking dirt standards of "storytelling for video games", or the repetitive ass mind numbing slog of mission ideas the game offers because the game is an overstuffed shit barrel?

Where does that fall into this discussion? because the part where that game fucking sucks, should totally count.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Yeah, no. It's super badly optimized and doesn't look that great.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

no it just piss poorly optimized

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commander
@topgunmv said:

Yeah, no. It's super badly optimized and doesn't look that great.

well besides the custom cars and weather systems it looks exactly like this, maybe it's because of some custom setting on episodes of liberty city, because these mods don't work on EOLC

Loading Video...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22686 Posts

Was gonna say congrats for getting the game maxed out, but gta4..... Yikes. I'd rather shove bamboo spikes under fingernails.

I think my first reaction to seeing Gta4 run on my pc would be to hit it with a hammer.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commander

@TheEroica said:

Was gonna say congrats for getting the game maxed out, but gta4..... Yikes. I'd rather shove bamboo spikes under fingernails.

I think my first reaction to seeing Gta4 run on my pc would be to hit it with a hammer.

Well it's episodes from liberty city and it looks quite good actually, i prefer it over gta V on the x1/ps4 since it runs so much smoother and also with high res textures

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

GTA IV is one of the worst ports. If they would have ever gone bacK and actually fixed it, the 7the gen consoles could probably run it at 1080p30 without a problem.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib

@commander: that had been heavily modded

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander

@lostrib said:

sure but that don't work on EOLC, and the buildings look exactly the same, the custom cars not of course.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

sure but that don't work on EOLC, and the buildings look exactly the same, the custom cars not of course.

I highly doubt that since that video is using custom textures

and a custom ENB

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

The power of consoles is not just hardware, it is the GAMES... can you play Bloodborne or The Order 1886 on PC? nope

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By commander
@lostrib said:

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

I highly doubt that since that video is using custom textures

and a custom ENB

Look at this video in 1080p, you will see the buildings look just as sharp, the only real difference is the lighting reflections on the cars but that's just a lighting mod (like enb) and of course the custom cars. All those texture mods are simply to make gta IV look like it's maxed out on lower end pc's (high res textures). The dude in the modded video uses an i5 2500 stock and a gtx 660. He wouldn't even be able to max it out, yet he can run it with all those mods?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes, but GTA4 sucks, so it doesn't matter.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

The power of consoles is not just hardware, it is the GAMES... can you play Bloodborne or The Order 1886 on PC? nope

Can you play Bloodbourne or The Order 1886 on a PS4 ? nope

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

PC has more high scoring games than PS4....

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aroxx_ab

@thehig1 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Can i play Ps4 exclusives on a Ps4? what question is that...

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@commander said:

Yes gta liberty cities that expansion pack on gta IV, well it's basically the gta IV map

Today, I booted up the game with my i5-3470 and r9 280x (which is basically a highly overclocked 7970). Basically you could say the system is roughly twice the power of the ps4. I got the parts pretty cheap. I used the second handed parts and paid around 400$. I bought the r9 recently the other parts were from last year.

Well, I knew I couldn't max the game out on my old 7870xt and i5-2500 , so I tried again. This time I could max it out, getting benchmarked around roughly 43 fps (of course the benchmark is pretty stressy). With vsync on, the game hovers like in the 50's while playing, with dips in the high 30's when a lot is going on.

Finally after 7 years I can max out the game yay. Still it's not like I have much headroom here. Running the game on the ps4 at these settings would smoke the thing. Frankly the game doesn't look all that different from gta V on the ps4 (or xboxone for that matter), of course you don't get the nauseau while playing because the framerate is a bit higher.

So there you have it, we knew the consoles were weak, but that weak? It's like the x360 and ps3 that cant 't run the pc version of gta 3, or halflife 2, or even... abe's oddworld?

In 1080p of course

You seem legit concerned. Maybe you should grow up?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By commander

@charizard1605 said:

Well that's just matter of preferences, besides I have a feeling you and lot of people would disagree with you, since it got a review score of no less that a 10/10

I don't like persona too, but i don't say it sucks.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@thehig1 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and assume he's talking about the fact that those games aren't actually out and therefore you're not able to play them on your PS4. Crazy, I know.

This was most likely in response to your comment about "it is the GAMES", when oddly enough you're referring to games that you can't actually play at the moment. Kind of an odd way to defend your platform of preference, especially when you don't even know the quality of said games.

Also a moot point since if it is indeed all about the games, the PC has more than enough of those. Yes, with PC you have the option for much better hardware as well as more games than all consoles combined.

Interesting.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@commander said:

@charizard1605 said:

Well that's just matter of preferences, besides I have a feeling you and lot of people would disagree with you, since it got a review score of no less that a 10/10

I don't like persona too, but i don't say it sucks.

You may not like Persona, but GTA IV having shitty level design, shitty save system, shitty controls, and shitty story-telling is actually an objective fact. And a lot of people criticized these.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Not even my GTX 670s run it flawlessly due to s*** optimization...also by maxing did you turn up all the sliders as well?

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@mitu123 said:

Not even my GTX 670s run it flawlessly due to s*** optimization...also by maxing did you turn up all the sliders as well?

hmm... my fps literally flipped out when I switched from my phenom to my 4670k.
old specs (you already know those :P) will post them anyways.

phenom II x4 965@4.0
sapphire 7870
8GB ram

game ran like crap, 12- 20 fps, same results with or without iCEnhancer. Even had singel digits at times. Game only used 20 to 25% of my 7870.
When I upgraded to my 4670k. it was like playing a new game, my min fps was 40 and I actually saw 99% gpu usage (of course with the iCEnhancer).
Game still ran over 35 fps @5760x1080 on a single card. I don't think I ever tested it with both of my 7870's. I suppose I could one day. But meh lol. :P

Still haven't even tried with my 970 yet lol.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 commander

@kitty said:

@mitu123 said:

hmm... my fps literally flipped out when I switched from my phenom to my 4670k.

old specs (you already know those :P) will post them anyways.

phenom II x4 965@4.0

sapphire 7870

8GB ram

game ran like crap, 12- 20 fps, same results with or without iCEnhancer. Even had singel digits at times. Game only used 20 to 25% of my 7870.

When I upgraded to my 4670k. it was like playing a new game, my min fps was 40 and I actually saw 99% gpu usage (of course with the iCEnhancer).

Game still ran over 35 fps @5760x1080 on a single card. I don't think I ever tested it with both of my 7870's. I suppose I could one day. But meh lol. :P

Still haven't even tried with my 970 yet lol.

I really don't get why people say it's so badly optimized, it only cries for a fast quad core and it looks way way better than the console version, it was only a taste of things to come. It'ss not because a game is suddenly more demanding that you can say it's badly optimized especially when you look what's going on in gta IV.

You could say crysis 1 was badly optimized as well then. Crysis warhead did make the engine more performant but still you needed an uber pc to run it.

Lot's of polygons, lot's of aI, lot of physics , lot's of shaders simply ask for a lot of horsepower. A console port that's running in the same quality as the console version but that's needs hardware that's a lot stronger than the console, yeah, that's badly optimized but the difference between gta IV console and gta IV pc is like night and day.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@commander: crysis and warhead were both horribly optimized. crytek has stated it themselves several times

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commander

@m3dude1 said:

@commander: crysis and warhead were both horribly optimized. crytek has stated it themselves several times

source?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m3dude1

@commander: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=74825&start=30

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Oh yeah? I booted it up with an i25- 7560gtx R955 1000; Terminator.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By commander

@m3dude1 said:

@commander: http://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=74825&start=30

sorry this is not an official statement, just someone that says it as an argument why it couldn't run on consoles

We both know that's not the reason, the reason is horsepower. Then even had to use a new engine to make it run on consoles and it looks a lot different.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By commander

@m3dude1 said:

LOL...seriously how dumb are you? that post is by a crytek coder

even if it was a crytek coder, they made a new engine to make crysis games on the consoles. On the new engine, the foliage is just not as good, some parts are better like lightning and dx 11 shading on buildings.

The x360 and ps3 weren't able to do cryengine 2 (crysis warhead and crysis), there wasn't enough horsepower to display all the polygons. Even if you look now at crysis 2 at max settings it still doesn't look as good as crysis 1 and crysis warhead if you look at plants and trees. It has some nice dx11 features on the buildings and characters but not even crysis 3 does the foliage as good as in crysis 1.

There's a reason they didn't make crysis games in the jungle anymore. The cryengine 2 is so strong that you can make crysis look a lot better just by unlocking some built in graphical locks. They did that because at the time of release, the very high settings needed a top of the line system and with that you only got like 30 fps.

Not even the ps4 could run crysis 1 when you enable all the goodies in that engine. If that actually was a crytek dev, it was to defend their new engine. An engine made purely out of economic reasons, there's a lot more money to be made on the consoles and that's exactly why they made those new engines, but in the end their first engine was better. They could have put the work in improving that older engine, but what would have been the use, the consoles would never been able to run it.

Here you have a video with some changes in the ini files, the guy has to enable dx 9, run it at 720p and do some other optimizations to have a decent framerate on a highly overclocked hd 5870. You need a hd 7970 to enable everything in the ini files and run it at 1080p and still you can't go crazy on the aa (not above 4 x)

Loading Video...

I actually have crysis on the xbox 360, it looks like the arcade version of the pc version. Here you have a video that compares 'the unoptimized version' with 'the optimized version'

Loading Video...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 m3dude1

looooool. yeah ok man, crytek is wrong and you are right. you clearly know much more about their engines than they do.

this is the level of stupidity you only encounter when dealing with hermits.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By commander

@m3dude1 said:

looooool. yeah ok man, crytek is wrong and you are right. you clearly know much more about their engines than they do.

this is the level of stupidity you only encounter when dealing with hermits.

of course they're going to say to the new customers. Hey we made a new engine just for you, the old one was actually a lot better but we don't have choice, we want your money. lmao, you still got a lot to learn about the world kid. Everyone has his own agenda when profits are a goal.

And in a way they're right, they improved a lot of things of the old engine, but they disabled some stuff as well. They could have implemented the new stuff in the old engine but why would they do that, the console market is just too big. In the end crytek is just a dev company and their games are publised by elecktronic arts. You seriously think they going to advertize their weaknesses, the competition will do that for them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Most pc games now don't require high end hardware or are even high quality AAA titles. They are consoles ports.

The actual pc gaming experience now is predominantly free2play moba titles that can quite easily run on 2 generation old consoles.

Buying these expensive graphics cards and boasting about it to console gamers: with a minuet difference is mostly foolish and generally a waste of money.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By commander

@uninspiredcup said:

Most pc games now don't require high end hardware or are even high quality AAA titles. They are consoles ports.

The actual pc gaming experience now is predominantly free2play moba titles that can quite easily run on 2 generation old consoles.

Buying these expensive graphics cards and boasting about it to console gamers: with a minuet difference is mostly foolish and generally as waste of money.

That expensive graphics card costed me 130 bucks...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Buying these expensive graphics cards and boasting about it to console gamers: with a minuet difference is mostly foolish and generally as waste of money.

I used the second handed parts and paid around 400$. + 200$ monitor

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander

@m3dude1 said:

@commander: youre a complete idiot lol. there is nothing, NOTHING in CE2 that isnt done better in CE3

You must be blind as a bat if you think that.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 commander

@uninspiredcup said:

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

You don't use a monitor for your console, oh yeah that's right you use a tv, guess what a tv works just as good as a monitor lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

You don't use a monitor for your console, oh yeah that's right you use a tv, guess what a tv works just as good as a monitor lol

My friend: making excuses will not change reality.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commander

@uninspiredcup said:

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@commander said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend: making excuses will not change reality.

That comment is completely besides the point. The fact stays the same, a monitor is not needed.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

GTA 4/EFLC is the last thing I would use for power comparison since the port was horrible, even with the tweaks and plugging all the memory leaks game is still not very well optimized

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Don't think so. Believe what you want though.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

iv is badly optimized

V on PC(ultra settings) will smoke it and it will run better.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@thehig1 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and assume he's talking about the fact that those games aren't actually out and therefore you're not able to play them on your PS4. Crazy, I know.

This was most likely in response to your comment about "it is the GAMES", when oddly enough you're referring to games that you can't actually play at the moment. Kind of an odd way to defend your platform of preference, especially when you don't even know the quality of said games.

Also a moot point since if it is indeed all about the games, the PC has more than enough of those. Yes, with PC you have the option for much better hardware as well as more games than all consoles combined.

Interesting.

Thanks Conan spot on.

Cows are frustrating saying well can it play Uncharted 4, or the Order 1886, well you cant play either of those games on a Ps4 yet either.

So writing GAMES in caps then mentioning two games that arnt out yet I found amusing

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

kitty, commander, that just prove how cpu intensive it is which is a bad thing, lol, it shouldn't require such a insane cpu when it's not even a looker, BTW I was testing it on a i5-2500k and my best is in the 50s at times.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 aroxx_ab

@thehig1 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@thehig1 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Interesting.

Thanks Conan spot on.

Cows are frustrating saying well can it play Uncharted 4, or the Order 1886, well you cant play either of those games on a Ps4 yet either.

So writing GAMES in caps then mentioning two games that arnt out yet I found amusing

You hermits have hard to understand, you will always miss out exclusives every gen. Bloodborne and The Order 1886 was just example of exclusives one console, release date was not the point.