Graphics War!!! Halo 3 (Xbox360) versus Killzone 2 (PS3)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
Killzone 2

Halo 3

UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UpSwing
Member since 2004 • 3384 Posts

Halo 3's Textures are Clearly Much higher resolution that the Textures found in Killzone 2.

In every Killzone 2 pic, I find that everything is Dark, Gray and Blurry. While Halo 3 looks the opposite : Everything is fairly well lit, failry colorful and Extremely Crisp and clear.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

In motion, Killzone 2 looks better than Halo 3 (the screenshots really don't do it justice). That said though, Halo 3 will probably play better, sound better and have a much more robust online mode. The guys over at Bungie put a lot of hard work into balancing and weapon placement, so it'll be better.

UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UpSwing
And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

Sorry for the clipping and weird scaling. Gamespot is rubbish for posting screenshots.

Halo 3's Textures are Clearly Much higher resolution that the Textures found in Killzone 2.

In every Killzone 2 pic, I find that everything is Dark, Gray and Blurry. While Halo 3 looks the opposite : Everything is fairly well lit, failry colorful and Extremely Crisp and clear.

UpSwing

I agree really. Killzone 2 is too dark.

Nokia_N95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nokia_N95
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts
why not show in game halo3 shots? you know for a fact halo3 isnt jaggy-free
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

UpSwing
That would be because he picked crappy pics of KZ2 in hopes of swinging things his way. I still voted KZ2 anyways because I know what KZ2 really looks like.
deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deathmasterk
Member since 2006 • 716 Posts

really, who cares? they both look awesome. i guess the gameplay and story will tell the tale.

gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gundamfan80
Member since 2005 • 684 Posts
I think both look great but don't you think its just a little unfair trying to compair a game that releases in 2 months to a game that releases in 6-9 months. I mean why not compair the halo MP beta to the E305 trailer? see what I mean?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I love Halo and even though it looks great, KZ2 pwns it hands down. But Halo 3 will have larger environments to make up. I think some people don't realise Killzone uses a screen noise effect too.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Spock-
I agree really. Killzone 2 is too dark.Lilac_Benjie

It's meant to be like that. The atmosphere wouldn't be the same if it was too bright.

Zandeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Zandeus
Member since 2006 • 3124 Posts
I'm not gonna vote or even look at the SS's you posted. I dont need to, all I need to know is that Halo3 will be an amazing game. And Killzone 2, even if its not abysmal, will not live up to Halo3.
UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UpSwing
If Killzone 2 actually looked like those 2 bottom pics then I'd say that Kilzone 2 has better textures than Halo 3. But based on how Killzone 2 actually looks, there's no question, Killzone 2's textures are of Substantially lower Quality than the textures in Halo 3.
UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UpSwing
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"] I agree really. Killzone 2 is too dark.-Spock-

It's meant to be like that. The atmosphere wouldn't be the same if it was too bright.

I think it's much harder for a game to have Great graphics if it's well lit than if it's all Dark, as the Darkness can kind many of a games graphical shortcomings.

If Killzone 2 was well lit, it's reletively poor texturing would be 10X's more noticable.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 l-_-l

And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )UpSwing
Know what you are talking about before speaking. Self owning is never fun. CGI isn't going to look worse than the ingame graphics, and those sad pictures look way worse than the ingame graphics. So how can you be so simple as to actually thing that is CGI? Your sad pathedic attempt has FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, this thread fails on so many levels.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
halo 3 will prob be better in every possible way .. including graphics
spark_212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 spark_212
Member since 2005 • 1546 Posts

The textures in Halo 3 seem more high res and the Halo 3 screens on a whole look more crisp and vibrant.

Killzone's lighting and character models look better than Halo 3's. Killzone also has a more grittier look to it.

Overall, it just depends on which art style you like better, also these games shouldn't be compared since their release dates are at least 4 months apart, other games are far more comparable.

UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UpSwing

[QUOTE="UpSwing"]And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )l-_-l
Know what you are talking about before speaking. Self owning is never fun. CGI isn't going to look worse than the ingame graphics, and those sad pictures look way worse than the ingame graphics. So how can you be so simple as to actually thing that is CGI? Your sad pathedic attempt has FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW did you ever just Self own yourself.

EVERYONE KNOWS that the E3 2005 Trailer of Killzone 2 was 100% PURE CGI.

Those 2 Bottom pics of Killzone 2 are 100% CGI and Look Vastly Superior to how Killzone 2 ACTUALLY Looks as of E3 this year.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn

If Killzone 2 actually looked like those 2 bottom pics then I'd say that Kilzone 2 has better textures than Halo 3. But based on how Killzone 2 actually looks, there's no question, Killzone 2's textures are of Substantially lower Quality than the textures in Halo 3.UpSwing

You know about the screen noise effect don't you?

jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts
Halo 3's screens are much clearer and look alot cleaner, Killzone 2 seems so dark and depressing.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
I believe Killzone 2 looks better but it's a matter of which art direction do you prefer more. On a sie note, the guys at bungie did an absoloutely excellent job at making Halo 3 have more of a Halo CE type look. It really brings me back to the good old days. I applaud both developers.
gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gundamfan80

I'm not gonna vote or even look at the SS's you posted. I dont need to, all I need to know is that Halo3 will be an amazing game. And Killzone 2, even if its not abysmal, will not live up to Halo3.Zandeus

do you honestly believe that there is no way this game could equal or surpass halo 3? I'm not saying that it will but come on acting like halo is perfect is just foolish.

UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpSwing

[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="UpSwing"]And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )UpSwing

Those 2 Bottom pics of Killzone 2 are 100% CGI and Look Vastly Superior to how Killzone 2 ACTUALLY Looks as of E3 this year.

Continuation : You see - Check the first page again, the T C has removed the old CGI pics of Killzone , because he, along with everyone else, KNOWS that they are CGI.....well, everyone except for you it seems.

UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UpSwing

[QUOTE="UpSwing"]If Killzone 2 actually looked like those 2 bottom pics then I'd say that Kilzone 2 has better textures than Halo 3. But based on how Killzone 2 actually looks, there's no question, Killzone 2's textures are of Substantially lower Quality than the textures in Halo 3.tomarlyn

The first pics of Killzone 2 released ( not in this thread ) has no such effect. It is reletively clear infact. Clear enough to see how reletively poor the texturing work in Killzone 2 truly is.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

Killzone 2 obviously looks better!

BUT what exactly are you trying to prove here, your taking the best looking PS3 game and comparing it with a OK looking halo game. Compare gears to it my friend then we will still see its the most visualy appealing and graphicaly superior console game.

Bromz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Bromz
Member since 2005 • 1639 Posts
gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>graphics
gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gundamfan80

Halo 3's screens are much clearer and look alot cleaner, Killzone 2 seems so dark and depressing.jimmygrace

I'm not arguing with you but KZ2 is supposed to be that way. they are fighting a war and anyone that has seen combat will tell you it isn't exactly the most positive up beat environment

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Spock-
[QUOTE="-Spock-"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"] I agree really. Killzone 2 is too dark.UpSwing

I think it's much harder for a game to have Great graphics if it's well lit than if it's all Dark, as the Darkness can kind many of a games graphical shortcomings.

If Killzone 2 was well lit, it's reletively poor texturing would be 10X's more noticable.

However, Killzone 2 isn't well lit and isn't meant to be... so why are we even discussing "ifs" and "buts"?

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Halo 3 has far superior textures, but KZ is no graphical slouch.

And it's true: the darker/more shadow a game is, the more it looks better. I mean, did anyone see the Master Chief indarkness at the end of the E3 07 trailer? It looked deceivingly better than the rest of the footage shown.

Oh, and I'm surprised a hermit hasn't come in and said "Crysis owns both of them"

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts

UpSwing

Maybe that's not the environment KZ2 is in. Some of us don't play under the sun. Gears was the same way, especially level 2.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

Why is it that fanboys can't agree that both games look good?

Some people are just content to be unreasonable **** I guess.

Oh, and I'm surprised a hermit hasn't come in and said "Crysis owns both of them"FrozenLiquid

Crysis owns them both.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l-_-l

[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="UpSwing"]And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )UpSwing

Um.....dude, wake up. This is 2007, not 2005. They have shown actually gameplay footage since then. I mean, they DID just have a E3......HELLO. I rest my case from my last post.
Delongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Delongman
Member since 2005 • 1358 Posts

really, who cares? they both look awesome. i guess the gameplay and story will tell the tale.

deathmasterk

So true... they'll both probably get a 10 for graphics. Sales will also count... I bet you there will be lines for Halo 3 and peeps skipping school...

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="UpSwing"]

[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="UpSwing"]And why exactly ARE you throwing in pics of CGI for Killzone 2? There are CGI pics of Halo 3, but you didn't add them ( and nor should you )l-_-l

Um.....dude, wake up. This is 2007, not 2005. They have shown actually gameplay footage since then. I mean, they DID just have a E3......HELLO. I rest my case from my last post.

Check the OP.

The TC edited the post a few times. I think he put in the CGI pics just to fool people, and some people fell for it.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Killzone 2 for me, I honestly find the lighting to be much, much better and the gritty tone along with loads of post-processing makes the game look great. Of course it's hasn't got everything beat on Halo in my mind which has better textures in some places [worse in others] and is more vibrant.

Even then, Killzone seems to have better modelling, especially in characters and the guns o;. In saying that, they're two completely different approaches. Only a few things in Killzone shine and for that I'm thankful, that's not to say I don't enjoy the aesthetics of Halo.

I'm trying to be objective here, but if I was to rule one other the other it'd have to go to Killzone. I feel the need to mention that in saying I think Killzone looks better, I don't instinctively think that Halo looks bad and I'm not attempting to take anything away from Halo 3 which itself looks amazing.

We don't always have to work in absolutes. Anyway I'm getting some better screenshots for both the games, I know they exist.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FrozenLiquid

It's interesting to note that in the Bungie podcast which was recorded a week prior to E3, a Bungie programmer went on air for a couple of minutes, and the conversation moved to the E3 trailer. He then proceeded to say "Oh dear... it's looking scary!" which the host then replied with "The truth comes out! (laughs)"

I think it's interesting to note that they were light heartedly criticizing their own game.

turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts
It all comes down to personal taste. Halo 3 is more brighter, colorful and overall has this sci-fi look, but KZ2 on the other hand has this more dark, grittier, worn out and war-torn look. But there is the fact that well KZ2s textures are pretty low-res and that the shadows are kind of pixelated. Halo 3 also has its faults and I would say that the rather ''blocky'' models and terrain are it. But that's just my opinion. Personally I love Halo and can't wait for number 3. Also KZ2 looks to be going in the right direction and could very well be a great game. I just don't wanna jump to conclusions yet, knowing that KZ1 was a rather big disappointment.
bengilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bengilder
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts
ummmm.... every one does know that the graphics shown of killzone was in the pre-alpha stage dont you....

so its most likely to going improvethen.

any way back to the screenshots....
Killzone has better looking character models, better looking weapons, and the dramtic enviroment. (also maybe you should put screenshots of the begining of the killzone trailer as that was near enough in the sun-light) Also Killzone level seems bigger (but thats because we havent played or seen an entire level of halo 3 yet) and every thing is rendered in realtime graphics, and it looks like there is more chaos, there is also more motion blur, Has a City worn torn look, Also dare i say its pre-alpha footage so graphics will be improved.

Halo 3 has way better textures, better lighting, More lighting, Shiney Weapons and vehicals, some levels described as big but we havent seen it yet.... well i dont think we have (apart from the E3 2006 trailer), Huge Ships flying over you while fighting (and lots of air combat too), Better Shadowing, looks to be more in the country side where everything iscalm (despite aliens trying to destory humanity), looks like there is less chaos(and we proberly havent even seen what halo 3 can do cause bungie is not letting us look too much at the single player (we need better screenshots not ones that just look at a cliff with a few enermies or at master cheif.).

Overall i would say Killzone looks better. And the screenshots you chose for killzone arent the best ones there and the fact the graphics look better even though its in its pre-alpha stage. (Well the screenshots you chose for Halo 3 arent the best ones either)
DarkNeji14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkNeji14
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts
Killzone only looks dark because its Nighttime, they wanted to make it like that on purpose to make it look more realistic, if not then we'll have to see a trailer or screenshot thats in the daytime.
Parl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Parl
Member since 2005 • 2676 Posts

Killzone is WAY too grey. It looks pretty poor.

I'm not lemming or anything, but Halo has been reasonably colourful and clearn, and continues to be with Halo 3. Plus, its textures look nice.

Halo 3 by far. Resistence looks good technically though. But Halo 3 is hardly 360's best looking upcoming game.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FrozenLiquid

ummmm.... every one does know that the graphics shown of killzone was in the pre-alpha stage dont you....

so its most likely to going improvethen.

any way back to the screenshots....
Killzone has better looking character models, better looking weapons, and the dramtic enviroment. (also maybe you should put screenshots of the begining of the killzone trailer as that was near enough in the sun-light) Also Killzone level seems bigger (but thats because we havent played or seen an entire level of halo 3 yet) and every thing is rendered in realtime graphics, and it looks like there is more chaos,Also dare i say its pre-alpha footage so graphics will be improved.

Halo 3 has way better textures, better lighting, More lighting, Shiney Weapons and vehicals, some levels described as big but we havent seen it yet.... well i dont think we have (apart from the E3 2006 trailer), Huge Ships flying over you while fighting (and lots of air combat too), Better Shadowing. (and we proberly havent even seen what halo 3 can do cause bungie is not letting us look too much at the single player (we need better screenshots not ones that just look at a cliff with a few enermies or at master cheif.).

Overall i would say Killzone looks better. And the screenshots you chose for killzone arent the best ones there and the fact the graphics look better even though its in its pre-alpha stage. (Well the screenshots you chose for Halo 3 arent the best ones either)bengilder

Did you just question how big Halo's levels are going to be?

According to Bungie, if you stitched all of their multiplayer maps together, it's still not bigger as their smallest single player level. And considering the multiplayer level "Sandtrap", that's freakin' huge.

Avatar image for Chloroformality
Chloroformality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chloroformality
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

Why are the choices 360 and PS3? Why aren't they just the two games?

..... are we voting on the graphical capabilities of the consoles based on these two games? That's pretty vacuous.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

[QUOTE="UpSwing"]If Killzone 2 actually looked like those 2 bottom pics then I'd say that Kilzone 2 has better textures than Halo 3. But based on how Killzone 2 actually looks, there's no question, Killzone 2's textures are of Substantially lower Quality than the textures in Halo 3.UpSwing

The first pics of Killzone 2 released ( not in this thread ) has no such effect. It is reletively clear infact. Clear enough to see how reletively poor the texturing work in Killzone 2 truly is.

Have you ever played Killzone? the game has screen noise and is obvious in this newest footage of KZ2 if you look closely enough. Its a great effect that makes it look different and adds to the atmosphere, but some people are like ''but but bu teh bad grainy textures oh noes'' :|

Obiously you have to pick the worst part though without noticing the amazing animation and lighting. If they have to tone down textures to optimize the framerate and keep the rest of the eye candy up then thats fine, Halo 3 can have the textures and Killzone 2 can have the rest of the amazing visuals that Halo 3 lacks.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts

Halo has that all-male disco nightclub Unreal Tournament 1 wild Technicolor look; Killzone 2 looks like it's trying to approximate the way things look in real life, right down to the way your color receptivity plummets in low light. he two games' stylistic differences make it hard to do a direct comparison; both of them are extremely gorgeous. But KZ2's animation stomps Halo's into the ground. I am SO TIRED of seeing flailing arms when guys have been thrown into the air. Have you guys seen that awful moment in the Halo 3 trailer where the Elite grabs a human by the hand and kicks him through a doorway? I almost vomited.Halo 3's textures are sharper and more vivid though.

Overall, at this time, I call KZ2 the winner. The way guys act when they're being shot, or doing anything, really, is disturbingly realistic.

WeeWeeJumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WeeWeeJumbo
Member since 2005 • 5380 Posts

Why are the choices 360 and PS3? Why aren't they just the two games?

..... are we voting on the graphical capabilities of the consoles based on these two games? That's pretty vacuous.

Chloroformality

Vacuous? Yes; and in System Wars, 100% inevitable.

aDDiKt24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aDDiKt24
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
Some may call me a lemming because I just own an xbox 360. It doesnt stop me from admitting that KZ looks better then Halo 3 in the graphics department. Look at both the trailers shown for E3 and then decide and the decision is pretty clear. Hopefully both will be awesome games so everyone wins.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FrozenLiquid

I am SO TIRED of seeing flailing arms when guys have been thrown into the air. Have you guys seen that awful moment in the Halo 3 trailer where the Elite grabs a human by the hand and kicks him through a doorway? WeeWeeJumbo

I'm watching it over and over again as I type this. What's wrong with it?

When we spar in martial arts, it looks almost like that. Remember, the Brute is stronger than anyone could conceive here on Earth.

bengilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bengilder
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

Did you just question how big Halo's levels are going to be?

According to Bungie, if you stitched all of their multiplayer maps together, it's still not bigger as their smallest single player level. And considering the multiplayer level "Sandtrap", that's freakin' huge.

FrozenLiquid

yes as i said we heard its big but we havent seen it. like i say seeing is beliving. Im just stating that we cant really compare them both yet cause bungie isnt letting us look too much into the single-player game so we dont know how big we get to see on screen at once (cause all we seen is looking at the wall or a cliff or at master cheif). Its just that we need bigger and better screenshots thats shows this off or at least a video (yes i know there was the e3 trailer but as i said they dont show off how big the level is).

skyform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50 skyform
Member since 2005 • 1522 Posts
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"] I agree really. Killzone 2 is too dark.-Spock-

Yeah but why did cows bash Gears for it's darkness, even if Gears is not dark, only in some levels.

Gears has very different colour and brightnes in every level but cows don't know that because they never played it and then they come with stupid coments, that in gears you don't see anything other then darkness, that the game is all dakr and not impressive graphical, poor fanboys, im glad that im non fanboy, that really must be stupid, hating other consoles and games that you don't even know:roll: