MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/gran-turismo-7-now-has-sonys-lowest-user-score-ever-on-metacritic/

https://kotaku.com/gt7-gran-turismo-7-metacritic-review-bomb-offline-sony-1848680758

This is really making me nostalgic for Driveclub's launch on PS4 back in 2014. Such a mess, all over again.

They could have at least went the F2P route if they were gonna gouge customers this much with microtransactions.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69521 Posts

Yikes! Now you are going to spark massive damage control and deflection threads.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts

Damn. Well congrats to Sony for that I guess. 😅

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7205 Posts

I gave it a 0. It’s a trash game. Sony should stick to making movies.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

And they deserve it after all the shit they've pulled with this game.

I enjoy the racing, but there's a point when the game's grind and lack of different types of races is going to get to me and I'm going to dump it, probably forever, given how badly Polyphony Digital and Sony have messed this up. Without radical changes, only the most dedicated fans are going to be left playing this game after a few months. If that.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MysticalDonut

@mesome713 said:

I gave it a 0. It’s a trash game. Sony should stick to make movies.

You shouldn't review things you've never owned/played

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Who's to blame though, PD or Sony? Keep hearing the guy in charge of PD getting the blame. Personally, Jim Ryan has taken Sony down the toilet, maybe he's mates with Don Mattick.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MysticalDonut

@Random_Matt said:

Who's to blame though, PD or Sony? Keep hearing the guy in charge of PD getting the blame. Personally, Jim Ryan has taken Sony down the toilet, maybe he's mates with Don Mattick.

I would imagine something like this is coming from Sony not the developer

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Yeah, but anyone can give a user rating on Metacritic. A score of 8.7 critic reviews on Metacritic is pretty good, you know.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12972 Posts

Xbot review bombed 😂

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Bu bu bu lems down scoring,GT7 is a Forza killer 🤣

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@mesome713: And trolls like this are the reason why, thanks for making this so easy to understand Casey.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts

MTX aside I'm surprised it did as well as it did considering how it looked. I guess points for being a Sony exclusive.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MysticalDonut

@lamprey263 said:

MTX aside I'm surprised it did as well as it did considering how it looked. I guess points for being a Sony exclusive.

I mean, graphically and gameplay wise the game looks fantastic if you're a car nut. It's just the terrible anti-consumer business practices in the game that are killing it.

@omegamaster said:

Yeah, but anyone can give a user rating on Metacritic. A score of 8.7 critic reviews on Metacritic is pretty good, you know.

I'm sure once Sony gets their head out of their asses and lowers the price to buy cars it'll get better. They need to roll out an update that allows for the single player to be played offline as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro  Online

@Random_Matt said:

Sony. They set the pricing for their games not the studio.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MysticalDonut

@Pedro said:
@Random_Matt said:

Sony. They set the pricing for their games not the studio.

Agreed. I bet the devs are so frustrated that their game they've worked on for years is getting destroyed by the greed of Sony executives

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 301 Posts

Gran Turismo 7 is basically a live-service game. The full game isn't even on the disc. Always have to be online, which the game was offline for more than 30 hours recently, not long after release. Credits reduced in some cases by up to 50% so you can somehow be strong-armed into purchasing their cars on the store which you have cars going for up to $40 for a single fucking car? Two $40 cars and you've now paid more than the price of the actual game...and all while still charging $69.99 here in the US.

I think it's funny that Sony came after Microsoft pretty blatantly when Microsoft released the Xbox One with the whole DRM shit and Sony is now doing the exact same with Polyphony. I know this is System Wars but you can't defend this shit...

I want Sony to do better

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:
@mesome713 said:

I gave it a 0. It’s a trash game. Sony should stick to make movies.

You shouldn't review things you've never owned/played

This is the problem with user reviews. But fanboys feel empowered by them. It gives them a sense of purpose in life…

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mesome713

@goldenelementxl: Fanboys love user review scores, that’s why its fun crushing their dreams.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts

Just like any review bombing 90% of the people leaving 0's and 1's have never played the game.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2565 Posts

It's understandable, from what i read it requires a lot of time to unlock certain things unles you're willing to pay an unreasonable amount of money and even if you're ok with that the servers have been down regularly since its release which make it unplayable.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@mysticaldonut: Woah didn't know that single play is not available offline. Maybe it's time to sell my Sony shares.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Who’s to blame? Review bombers. That’s who.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Seriously tho, who actually plays racing games???

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8233 Posts

@Miyomatic: Im playing Forza Horizon 5 right now and it's amazing

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miyomatic

@sargentd: In all seriousness I can respect that, considering its Xbox's only good console-exclusive.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter

@Miyomatic: Millions of people, any other dumb questions?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Flopstation 5 getting destroyed by Xbox on all fronts. Getting pretty demoralising for the Sony fannies now, keep ya chin up champs, lucky you all have Gamepass to fall back on so you have some decent games to play.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@boiled-hotdug: sony has always been scamming. They just pushed it a bit too far in this case.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter

@Miyomatic: All my years of playing CoD and I've never actually heard that mom joke, nicely done. Lol

I'm a car guy, and this is the only way I'll ever get to "drive" my dream vehicles. Plus you can break down any game and over simplify it like that, but there's so much more to sim racing games then that. And then you have the collector end of the game were people just want to get all the vehicles or a large portion of them in their garage. For me (and millions of others) it's an absolute blast, but I get why it's not for everyone. Do you enjoy any racing games, say more arcade leaning games or is the entire genre not your thing?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Wow, did Sony actually make this game excessively grindy in order to force people to buy in-game cars with real money? Not only does this make me not want a game, but looking at this being something Sony wanted, why would I ever buy into their hardware either?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

@omegamaster: ye they only brought out the mtx madness with limited supply/timed cars and other bullshit after the reviews were already out, classic.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

This is an interesting review. It goes in to a depth a lot of "pro" reviews don't, like IGN and Gamespot.

Loading Video...

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Miyomatic

@vfighter: I can definitely get down with an arcade or kart racer for a few rounds but I get bored pretty quickly. The collectathon aspect being a draw makes sense to me considering I still buy every other Pokemon game and complain they're all the same.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MysticalDonut
@Miyomatic said:
@vfighter said:

@Miyomatic: Millions of people, any other dumb questions?

Yes, actually. When your Mom moaned, was it in pleasure or pain? I honestly couldn't tell.

For real tho, never understood the appeal of racing games myself. Drive fast, brake, accelerate.....Happy for those that enjoy them, but I will often use fast-travel in open world games because of this.

I can understand not liking something like GT, Forza, Project Cars...

....but Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Motorstorm, Burnout...great fun.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

Just like any review bombing 90% of the people leaving 0's and 1's have never played the game.

Are you saying you shouldn't protest for a cause just because that thing hasn't directly happened to you?

ROCKBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ROCKBO
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

I'm honestly so mad at Polyphony/Sony because of this game. Not JUST this game. But because of how amazing Gran Turismo USED to be, and how low they've now sunk it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17660 Posts

I must say, Sony’s really borking the product to service transition. Well done, chumps! 👍🏼👌🏼🙄

Frankly, I don’t see how implementing a well-balanced and reasonable in-game economy analogous to the older games is incompatible with also affording monetization alternatives to those who wish to utilize them alongside. Those who purchase MTs are largely impulse buyers, their initiative as consumers, immediate, and their economic considerations, marginal. These are not players who begin racing and are eventually compelled to spend money after hours and hours of incessant grinding as the game’s structure is designed to enforce.

I ask myself: were I a millionaire (or someone who had a decent amount of disposable income), were a new Gran Turismo game designed with a reasonable ratio of grind to credit allocation as the past games gave, would I still play it the traditional way to attain my cars? Probably not. If I were so rich (as these MTX prices would imply), my time would be worth more to me than my money is, and I would be buying all the exotics straight up. I’m not certain that were this game not a grind, and that it were designed as the older titles were (with reasonable progression), that the whales still wouldn’t bite if you dangled the exotics under MTs in front of their noses from the get-go. I think they would.

Grinding isn’t going to incentivize those players to spend what they cannot afford to begin with…..it’s only going to piss them off, alienate and frustrate them, and damage the brand while appealing to a very small subset of the economically privileged.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts
@templecow90999 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Are you saying you shouldn't protest for a cause just because that thing hasn't directly happened to you?

When it comes to paid entertainment and luxury that is a far cry from real world struggle and impoverishment.. so yeah, I guess I pretty much am.

Putting too much faith into what others say is the downfall of modern society.

I bought the game day one and while it is pretty much a standard Gran Turismo experience I can say very sincerely that anyone giving the game a 0 or 1 is trolling or a moron. Sure, always online is bull shit, but to act as though it has never happened or that it is such a travesty that the game was down for 24 hours is a joke. I have played online shooters that were taken down or the servers were down for days or weeks and people didn't react so adversely.

This is a "look at me" movement that is trending within the social downtrodden and kids who never got picked for dodgeball. 1st world problems at their finest and the ones crying have no idea how good they actually have it.

Am I ok with paying for a game and not having the ability to play it? No of course not, but to pretend that this is something new is a joke. At least the game released finished for the most part and not in shambles and half finished like 80% of games released in the past few years.

Do I feel as though the campaign should be offline? Yes. Do I feel as though they need microtransactions? I don't really give a shit since you can buy them or not and it won't effect your experience other than providing a shorter grind... but I thought that was the point in the first place. If you don't plan of putting a lot of time into a game then don't get it or just play it when you can.

This is just another example of making a mountain out a mole hill.. no more no less. Regardless of how you feel about the genre or the game being down for a short amount of time the game is at worst a 7 and it was marketed as always online before it released, so to act shocked or be mad after purchase is a bit of an overreach and comes across as exactly what it is.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

Metacritic user scores should be taken with a grain of salt, still this score is downright scary. Maybe Sony should just from the beginning have named the game "Gran Turismo - Anticonsumer Edition" or "GT - we are tearing apart your fu##### wallet" and people wouldn't have been so angry.

I am starting to like Sony less and less. First 70 USD games and now this. I don't recall much BS during the PS4 generation. But now...

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mesome713

Can never support this greedy company again, they are a disgrace to gaming. Turning games into movies, raising game prices, censoring creators art work, charging outrageous prices for digital cars that cost more than the game itself. Still not firing Ol Lyin Ryan. I can’t wait for this shatty company to go fully third party.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro  Online

@WitIsWisdom said:

Putting too much faith into what others say is the downfall of modern society.

Modern society?😂 That has been part of human society since humans developed societies.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MysticalDonut

Despite all the anti-consumer practices the game is still selling incredibly well, still #1 in the charts. That's the power of the GT brand I guess.

https://www.gamebyte.com/gran-turismo-7-is-still-number-1-in-sales-charts-despite-controversy/#:~:text=Gran%20Turismo%207%20Is%20Still%20Number%201%20In%20Sales%20Charts%20Despite%20Controversy,-22%20March%202022&text=Gran%20Turismo%207%20is%20still%20the%20number%20one%20game%20in,in%20a%20right%20mess%20lately.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

And now PS4 players are using remote play to automate races to grind for the best cards, etc. Ha ha.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter

@tjandmia: People have used all kinds of methods to grind for cars/money since the PS2 days, it's cute you think this is something new 😂

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

Good. I still can't believe what they allowed to happen with this title. Truly pathetic.