GPU comparison - PC, 360, PS3 - time to stop the console over PC hype

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Let's just lay out the GPU hardware for the consoles:

1. PS3 - gimped & modified nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX.

2. 360 - R600 foundation of the ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series.

Take note - ATI and nVidia don't manufacture those cards anymore, they are way beyond them for the PC.

About the only place you could find a HD 2000 series or a 7800 GTX would be eBay, but no PC gamer would install one in a Vista or Windows 7 PC.

Comparing today's GPUs from ATI & nVidia against what was made back in '05 is like comparing a steam locomotive to warp drive.:lol:

Let's say a PC user installs a 7800 GTX into a new PC - guess what they lose:

1. Direct-X 10 & 11.

2. CUDA.

3. Phys-X.

The 7800 is Direct-X 9.0 (or older), and that's it, PS3 gamers.:P

It's heyday ended when Vista, DX 10, and the 8-Series GPUs came onto the market.

What about the 360, you say? Well, you can't run a PC on a R600 foundation alone, and no PC users would install HD 2000 cards into today's machines.:P

Neither console has the versatile control over their GPU like you do on the PC - screenshot below

control panel

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
0/10 for originality. On-topic...meh. 360/PS3 games still amaze me.
Avatar image for FollowY0urBliss
FollowY0urBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FollowY0urBliss
Member since 2010 • 320 Posts

Who is saying the consoles have better graphics or GPUs? Seriously, threads like this need to stop. If anyone believes that a console delivers better graphics than a high-end pc... well... they are lacking in the intelligence department,

FollowY0urBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FollowY0urBliss
0/10 for originality. On-topic...meh. 360/PS3 games still amaze me.killab2oo5
0/10- agreed
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Who is saying the consoles have better graphics or GPUs? Seriously, threads like this need to stop. If anyone believes that a console delivers better graphics than a high-end pc... well... they are lacking in the intelligence department,

FollowY0urBliss

There was a thread that was locked saying PS3 > PC.

FollowY0urBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FollowY0urBliss
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="FollowY0urBliss"]

lol
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11279 Posts

topsemag55

And that really upset you? 90% of the gaming population should know, PC>consoles. its obvious...
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

topsemag55

You can always find one or two weird threads with totally outrageous comments in them, but the overwhelming vast majority of people here already acknowledge that consoles are not as powerful as PCs. Hence, this thread is really just flailing away at a strawman argument.

bloodcord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bloodcord
Member since 2004 • 151 Posts

topsemag55

Is that the reason you created this post? that guy trolled you good.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Uhm, PS3 uses OpenGL. They are not restricted by MS standards (LOL NO DX11 FOR YOU GO BUY A NEW VIDEOCARD AND NEW WINDOWS BICOZ NO FANCY EFFECTS ARE POSIBUL ON YOUR GEAR). Well this last statement is kinda old for 2011, but I remeber being SO pissed off two years ago.

Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

keep playing your GPU, let others play their games.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Very few people believe the consoles can utilise better graphics. However, it needs to be said, a Geforce 7800GTX is certainly producing insane graphics with titles like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3, I used to have a 7800GTX in my old pc, and it could NEVER produce those graphics. I think Sony and M$ (and companies) should be congratulated on getting so much out of dated hardware, don't you agree?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Let's just lay out the GPU hardware for the consoles:

1. PS3 - gimped & modified nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX.

2. 360 - R600 foundation of the ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series.

Take note - ATI and nVidia don't manufacture those cards anymore, they are way beyond them for the PC.

topsemag55

Game Ova

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

Oh, wow, I did not know this! The other 12738917291723819 threads that talked about this did not enlighten me enough, thank you.

We know the PC is more capable than the 360 and the PS3. We've known it since launch.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Oh, wow, I did not know this! The other 12738917291723819 threads that talked about this did not enlighten me enough, thank you.

We know the PC is more capable than the 360 and the PS3. We've known it since launch.

iAtrocious

just rubbing it in i guess lol

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

And yet ... Console games look so good.

Isn't it a testament to the skill the console developers have that they can squeeze so much performance out of long outdated hardware?

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

And you felt the need to post this why?

It's a good thing that console games look pretty good even with outdated hardware due to the insane optimization.

You were posting like the consoles get the results of the gpu's they have if you had that hardware in a pc., which isn't the case. It takes at least an 8800 and a core 2 duo to go beyond console results due to the wide range of hardware pc dev's have to code for. But when you keep going up the pc totem pole it starts to downright smoke the consoles though...

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Snooze-

It's a good thing that console games look pretty good even with outdated hardware due to the insane optimization.

You were posting like the consoles get the results of the gpu's they have if you had that hardware in a pc., which isn't the case. It takes at least an 8800 and a core 2 duo to go beyond console results due to the wide range of hardware pc dev's have to code for. But when you keep going up the pc totem pole it starts to downright smoke the consoles though...

theuncharted34

How great would KZ3 be if it had the PC behind it.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

-Snooze-

jaw droppingly gorgeous :D

EDIT: I mean technically. Artistically it's already there :P

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

theuncharted34

Nah a regular 7800gtx can keep up with most console games.

An 8800gt/gtx/gts would destroy any console by 3-4 times over.

In alot of console multiplats I have so much left over room for performance that I can play at twice the resolution of consoles with high levels of AA and AF and still run it smooth as butter.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
I must say when the consoles came out the prices for the console were ultra-cheap for the hardware you were getting. Sadly those days i passed, I bought an x360 also in 2007 because my pc was outdated and if I wanted the same hardware that was in the xbox 360 i had to pay 1500$. The choice was easily made. Back in the days of the super nintendo we simply didn't have a choice . the snes had simply superior hardware and no pc could match it. Half a year ago i bought a pc again because prices were so cheap and pc games even some from back in 2006 like oblivion, in 2007 crysis look way better than on console . Not to mention a bunch of newer games. Still it has to be affordable. I have always been a budget gamer and as much i like to bash consoles i'm glad the x360 was there (ps3 too off course :)) back in 2006,7,8 and 9 because i could simply not afford a pc that could match the beautifull graphics of the consoles. Today that's past and i hope when pc hardware becomes very expensive again there will be a new console to save my ass.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hakkai007

I think TC should of shown a screenshot of Nvidia Inspector instead of the lame Nvidia control panel.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hakkai007

I must say when the consoles came out the prices for the console were ultra-cheap for the hardware you were getting. Sadly those days i passed, I bought an x360 also in 2007 because my pc was outdated and if I wanted the same hardware that was in the xbox 360 i had to pay 1500$. The choice was easily made. Back in the days of the super nintendo we simply didn't have a choice . the snes had simply superior hardware and no pc could match it. Half a year ago i bought a pc again because prices were so cheap and pc games even some from back in 2006 like oblivion, in 2007 crysis look way better than on console . Not to mention a bunch of newer games. Still it has to be affordable. I have always been a budget gamer and as much i like to bash consoles i'm glad the x360 was there (ps3 too off course :)) back in 2006,7,8 and 9 because i could simply not afford a pc that could match the beautifull graphics of the consoles. Today that's past and i hope when pc hardware becomes very expensive again there will be a new console to save my ass.evildead6789

Um I built a PC in 2007 for around 650USD and it's around 3-4 times the power of a console.

Even when the 360 came out building a PC to match the performance or beat it wasn't expensive.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Why are we still comparing GPU's 5+ years into the current generation.. :|

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Snooze-

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

jaw droppingly gorgeous :D

EDIT: I mean technically. Artistically it's already there :P

I'd just want large scale 32 x 32 battles with vehicles :)

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

And yet ... Console games look so good.

Isn't it a testament to the skill the console developers have that they can squeeze so much performance out of long outdated hardware?

-Snooze-

Is that Keri Hilson in your sig?

Uhm, PS3 uses OpenGL. They are not restricted by MS standards (LOL NO DX11 FOR YOU GO BUY A NEW VIDEOCARD AND NEW WINDOWS BICOZ NO FANCY EFFECTS ARE POSIBUL ON YOUR GEAR). Well this last statement is kinda old for 2011, but I remeber being SO pissed off two years ago.

Orchid87

On Topic...the end product of OpenGL and DirectX are pretty similar, believe it or not.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Snooze-

Is that Keri Hilson in your sig?

killab2oo5

Yep. Thought I'd change it up a bit. My previous image of her was better but the mods seemed to take issue with it. Bad times.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Thats GREAT NEW NEWS!!!!!!

but in all honesty I find the PC to be majorly lacking in PC exclusives. I know I am asking for "teh phlamez" but honestly the games that look most interesting to me are either on the consoles or are mulitplats... which for 90% are only slightly better (ignore preference for controls).

Unless there is some mass change in publishers and developers on their pro choice of platform the PC is nothing but a place for either the super hardcore in the extremely niche areas (hardcore sims) or people who just prefer the M/K.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
My GPU has almost 3x the processing power of the PS3's CPU. :o
hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
This topic means nothing to me. PC games aren't for me and consoles are
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Very few people believe the consoles can utilise better graphics. However, it needs to be said, a Geforce 7800GTX is certainly producing insane graphics with titles like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3, I used to have a 7800GTX in my old pc, and it could NEVER produce those graphics. I think Sony and M$ (and companies) should be congratulated on getting so much out of dated hardware, don't you agree?

_Matt_
I have been waiting patiently for someone bright and courageous enough to actually say this. Bravo sir, bravo. Yes, the hardware is outdated and completely blown out of the water by todays pc HW standards. But I saw no games in 2005-2006 that looked as good as most PS3 exclusives today, not even close.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hakkai007

Yep. Thought I'd change it up a bit. My previous image of her was better but the mods seemed to take issue with it. Bad times.

-Snooze-

Oops sorry that was my bad.....

They removed my sig with some lame excuse and I thought I would try my hand at someone else's to see if they would remove that too.

I guess they did.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

danjammer69

I have been waiting patiently for someone bright and courageous enough to actually say this. Bravo sir, bravo. Yes, the hardware is outdated and completely blown out of the water by todays pc HW standards. But I saw no games in 2005-2006 that looked as good as most PS3 exclusives today, not even close.

yep. but 2007 was another story :P

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

so you are saying current hardware outperforms hardware from over 5 years ago eh? Not sure how you figured that one out. while this is true, install a brand new 7800 GTX and you will not be able to run a single game at killzone 3 level.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hakkai007

I have been waiting patiently for someone bright and courageous enough to actually say this. Bravo sir, bravo. Yes, the hardware is outdated and completely blown out of the water by todays pc HW standards. But I saw no games in 2005-2006 that looked as good as most PS3 exclusives today, not even close.danjammer69

A 7800gtx can keep up with console multiplats just fine.

The reason you didn't see games back then with the same features is because new features have been developed over time.

It doesn't mean the 7800gtx can use the same features.

Rather than just hardware what can make games look really good are new techniques in lighting and shadows.

But hardware plays a large part too.

I hate seeing lots of jagged edges in games so it's good to have a PC since even if the game does not utilize AA you can force it.

The Aliasing in Dead Space was quite annoying and the game only used some nasty edge detect AA which blurred stuff and still left jagged edges.

So I forced AA instead and it looks a lot better now.

Having a crisp image without jagged edges can make a big difference.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 danjammer69
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="danjammer69"][QUOTE="_Matt_"]

LOL, yeah. Thats kinda why i left it in 2006. ;) But keep in mind, I am not saying that with the same HW back then that the pc was not as capable as consoles. I am simply stating the obvious. Console programming has to be so damned optimized to get where we are now with the same old hardware. Games for pc just simply did not have as much programming trickery or optimization that is now needed to make PS3/360 games look as good as they do. It is not like the HW is continuosly scaling with the consoles. Much credit needs to be giving to the devs making these games look so damned good on console for what they have to work with. For example, try getting a PC running a 7800GTX with only 512MB of ram to run Killzone2/3 even at 720 they way the PS3 can. It is obviously not the HW that is making this "magic" happen.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hakkai007

so you are saying current hardware outperforms hardware from over 5 years ago eh? Not sure how you figured that one out. while this is true, install a brand new 7800 GTX and you will not be able to run a single game at killzone 3 level.

lespaul1919

And how do you know this.

How would you even compare this?

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hakkai007

For example, try getting a PC running a 7800GTX with only 512MB of ram to run Killzone2/3 even at 720 they way the PS3 can. It is obviously not the HW that is making this "magic" happen.danjammer69

I am sure it could run Killzone 2 and 3 at the same resolution and settings as the PS3.

But there is really no way to know so making such a statement is moot.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="danjammer69"] I have been waiting patiently for someone bright and courageous enough to actually say this. Bravo sir, bravo. Yes, the hardware is outdated and completely blown out of the water by todays pc HW standards. But I saw no games in 2005-2006 that looked as good as most PS3 exclusives today, not even close.danjammer69

LOL, yeah. Thats kinda why i left it in 2006. ;) But keep in mind, I am not saying that with the same HW back then that the pc was not as capable as consoles. I am simply stating the obvious. Console programming has to be so damned optimized to get where we are now with the same old hardware. Games for pc just simply did not have as much programming trickery or optimization that is now needed to make PS3/360 games look as good as they do. It is not like the HW is continuosly scaling with the consoles. Much credit needs to be giving to the devs making these games look so damned good on console for what they have to work with. For example, try getting a PC running a 7800GTX with only 512MB of ram to run Killzone2/3 even at 720 they way the PS3 can. It is obviously not the HW that is making this "magic" happen.

you don't have to explain that to me, I'm not a hermit who would disagree with that entirely logical statement. :)

EDIT: which is why I said the baseline for pc graphics being better is the 8800 gt. Which is quite a big boost over console graphics though.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lespaul1919

I still have a 7900GTO in PC#2

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Snooze-

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

Hakkai007

Oops sorry that was my bad.....

They removed my sig with some lame excuse and I thought I would try my hand at someone else's to see if they would remove that too.

I guess they did.

You're a mean guy :cry:

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hakkai007

You're a mean guy :cry:

-Snooze-

You were just a random target for my test since your sig was worse than mine and was not removed like mine so I thought I would try and test the mods.

But rules are so backwards and idiotic to begin with.

They don't allow the bare skin of a lady but are fine with a Gears of War gif in the a sig that shows someone being blown to pieces with a shotgun or chopped in half with a chainsaw.

That is the hypocrisy of America....

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lespaul1919

here is a screen from my PC#2, with 7900GTO.

that @ 800x600......barely 30 frames with nothing happening..............yeah no. not current console level AT ALL.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 danjammer69

[QUOTE="danjammer69"]For example, try getting a PC running a 7800GTX with only 512MB of ram to run Killzone2/3 even at 720 they way the PS3 can. It is obviously not the HW that is making this "magic" happen.Hakkai007

I am sure it could run Killzone 2 and 3 at the same resolution and settings as the PS3.

But there is really no way to know so making such a statement is moot.

Really? With only 512 MB of total system RAM? I am not saying you are wrong, I just couldn't see that happening. Unfortunately, I am still running my same old 2005 PC. It has 3GB of RAM, an AMD64 3700+, and *sigh* an AGP 7800GS. There is no way my system could even come close to running a game like that at 720p the way the PS3 does. But it really wouldn't be a fair comparison as the Cell does a hell of a lot of the dirty work for the PS3. My whole PC is it's own bottleneck! But you are correct that the point is moot. There really would be no way to know.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hakkai007

I still have a 7900GTO in PC#2

lespaul1919

Have you tried Crysis with these settings?

Someone got pretty good settings with their 7900GTO although they OCed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyuywzyXOc

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 theuncharted34

that @ 800x600......barely 30 frames with nothing happening..............yeah no. not current console level AT ALL.

lespaul1919

that looks terrible.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hakkai007

lespaul1919

I already showed a link to a video of a 7900gto running at much higher settings.

Also you seem to forget consoles couldn't even run Crysis at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spyuywzyXOc

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lespaul1919

That is the hypocrisy of America....

Hakkai007

don't get me started. christian halo pc servers with no cursing............but offing people in record numbers is fine! don't say #$%& though!

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hakkai007

Also here is the new Hot Pursuit game running on a 7900GTO just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDhWMPmXz8