GOW III gets 4/5 at Giant Bomb

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

http://www.giantbomb.com/god-of-war-iii/61-20461/reviews/

IM NOT SAYING THE GAME FLOPPED, IM ASKING WHAT YOU THINK. Do you think it underdelivered? Its probably not even the best GOW game.

But I mean, it WAS hyped AAAA GOTY by many. Or at least a few.

I expected this to really be the best GOW game, and while it obviouly is the best looking game, it isn't quite as good as GOWII and maybe not even GOWI. I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed. And BTW, I really love GOW, and I'm in no way trolling or flaming or trying to be fanboyish, I'm just saying I'm a little dissapointed. I really wanted this to be the best GOW game.

EDIT: LMAO, I didnt expect this to turn into a 22 page thread of so much drama and chaos. I apologize, System Wars.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Well the score for GOW on GS is already out. And GOW IIImust have flopped if it lost to SotC on PS2 by 93% :P

Instashot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Instashot
Member since 2010 • 665 Posts

Another overrated game flops?

Not surpised.

Wonder whats next.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
since when did we go by giantbomb fanboys?? by many the Hype was AAA and thats what it got on gamespot, it's a great game.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
You can't go around picking a games low score and say it flopped. Pretty much any AAA game on GS is going to have a few give it a low score.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
An accurate score,methinks.Arach666
Seconded. Though somehow its possible that an 80% will be misconstrued as insinuating the game to be bad...
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Samurai_Xavier

You can't go around picking a games low score and say it flopped. Pretty much any AAA game on GS is going to have a few give it a low score.Mr_Cumberdale

Again, read my post, I'm not saying it flopped. I'm only asking what you think. IMO the game underdelivered, because I really thought this would be a high AAA and all the reviews are pretty much low AAA/high AA.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

doesint a 4/5 count as a 9.0 since a 5/5 would be a 10?

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alextherussian

finalfantasy94

This really needs some serious explanation

4/5 = 0.8 (80%)

5/5 = 1.0 (100%)

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#12 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

omfg...

it's a AAA game... hell AAAA games are like incredibly rare.

God almighty... enjoy your games people....

"shakes angry fist*

*goes back to playing FF13/GOW3*

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
only GS scores matter here to determine flops so not a flop at all
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

alextherussian

4/5 = 0.8 (80%)

5/5 = 1.0 (100%)

Im sorry but that type of ranking just seems retarted then. I mean wheres the 90%. You just cant skip that.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

It met hype as far as i'm aware. We use GS scores to determine, not other sites.

Either way, good score from GB.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

It met hype as far as i'm aware. We use GS scores to determine, not other sites.

lundy86_4
But is it really that good regarding GB standards? I mean,every other heavy hitter like DA,U2,ME2,KZ2,MW2 and a bunch of others got the full 5 stars. Not like it matters really,just pointing that out lundy.
alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alextherussian

Im sorry but that type of ranking just seems retarted then. I mean wheres the 90%. You just cant skip that.

finalfantasy94

To each his own. Id argue that 9.0 really doesnt matter. A 4/5 is already a must play if you enjoy the genre while a 5/5 is a must play regardless of genre. I guess if they did half a star then 4.5 would be their 9.0 but that defeats the entire purpose of a 5 point system.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Arach666

But is it really that good regarding GB standards? I mean,every other heavy hitter like DA,U2,ME2,KZ2,MW2 and a bunch of others got the full 5 stars. Not like it matters really,just pointing that out lundy.

That's a good point, and unfortunately, I haven't played the game yet to comment. Still it's 80% so it can't be all bad :P

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

The people here that are trying to find reasons to make the game look bad are a bunch of morons and obiviously haven't played the retail version of the game.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

That's a good point, and unfortunately, I haven't played the game yet to comment. Still it's 80% so it can't be all bad :P

I suppose not ;)
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

You know the rules, any game below AAAA is unplayable, broken, buggy and not worth, if a game score AAA then it might be kind of good, but don't you dare to touch an AA game, yes, this is SW, the rules of SW.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Arach666"] But is it really that good regarding GB standards? I mean,every other heavy hitter like DA,U2,ME2,KZ2,MW2 and a bunch of others got the full 5 stars. Not like it matters really,just pointing that out lundy.madsnakehhh

You know the rules, any game below AAAA is unplayable, broken, buggy and not worth, if a game score AAA then it might be kind of good, but don't you dare to touch an AA game, yes, this is SW, the rules of SW.

Lulz, where nothing counts but AAAA and AAA. Gotta love it :D

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

alextherussian

4/5 = 0.8 (80%)

5/5 = 1.0 (100%)

They use stars instead of scores for a reason. Its 4 out of 5 stars, not 80%.

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alextherussian

They use stars instead of scores for a reason. Its 4 out of 5 stars, not 80%.

topgunmv

Yes and 4 stars of 5 total possible stars is 80% of total possible stars...

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]They use stars instead of scores for a reason. Its 4 out of 5 stars, not 80%.

alextherussian

Yes and 4 stars of 5 total possible stars is 80% of total possible stars...

It's not the same as an 80% rating though on a site using a numerical system. It's just a tent pole indicator as to the game's quality in the reviewer's opinion.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Stop DCing people its a phenominal game get on with your lives, this grasping at straws {tatctics} is beyond pathetic. First AAAE of the year and could be the only AAAE for a while till Halo Reach anyway

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#27 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

It's one of the best, if not THEE best game of this gen. It deserved a 10 more than MGS4 and GTAIV, imo.

Solar-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solar-X
Member since 2010 • 510 Posts

I've always taken a 4/5 score as the equivalent of 8.5 - 9.0 score on a score system which uses 1-10/10. Or percentage based system its about 85 up to 90%.

But 1-5/5 score system is very dependant on what the reviewer has write in his review more so than the score. a reviewer might really like a game, and think it's top quality product and would rate it over 90% on a percentage based system. But because he can also see some the games flaws and he's on a 5 score system, he might score it 4/5. Doesn't mean he found the game to be a product worth only a score of 80% though.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts

[QUOTE="alextherussian"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

4/5 = 0.8 (80%)

5/5 = 1.0 (100%)

I think you miss the entire point of the GB ranking system. GB scores =/= GS scores. Here people think 80% means it' sa bad game. At GB 4 out of 5 stars means that it's a really good game that just had a few things holding it back from being an AMAZING game. That might be technical problems, or in some cases like it seems like it was with GOW3, the game simply didn't offer enough new things to warrant a higher score. I personally think GB's scoring system is far better than GS. What's the true difference between an 8.5 and 9.0 anyway? How about the difference from 9.0 to 9.5? No one really knows because there's no clear way to explain the differences. Instead of going by an insane ranking system where really doesn't have meaning and only serves to increase fanboy wars; GB instead using a simple 5 point scale. 5 means it's awesome. 4 means it's great with a few flaws or things holding it back. 3 means it's a decent game but has some issues that shouldn't be ignore. 2 means the flaws outweigh the good and you should think about avoiding the game unless a hardcore fan. 1 means don't touch it with a 10ft pole. 4 is a good score at GB, and GOW3 deserves it (even if it wasn't my kind of game). Please don't try and convert different scoring systems to GS's because like in the case of GB's the translation is not an accurate one.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I had a blast with the game on my first playthrough and that's all that matters to me.
Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Samurai_Xavier

Yes, 4/5 is obviously a good score. My point is still that this game underdelivered. This has easily been the most hyped and anticipated game in the last 2 years. The fact that its getting these kinds of scores though, when the game was supposed to be the next AAAAE, is underwhelming, regardless of how good it really is.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

People should listen to Ryan Davis' thoughts about GoW3 on the latest Giant Bombcast, he still seems to really enjoy it

Solar-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solar-X
Member since 2010 • 510 Posts

Yes, 4/5 is obviously a good score. My point is still that this game underdelivered. This has easily been the most hyped and anticipated game in the last 2 years. The fact that its getting these kinds of scores though, when the game was supposed to be the next AAAAE, is underwhelming, regardless of how good it really is.

Samurai_Xavier
Most good action adventure games score around the 4/5, 9.0, or 90% mark. Instead of taking one review and trying to say the game is underwhelming because the score simply says 4/5 instead of 5/5. Try reading the review instead. Or goto Metacritic or whatever and look and the score the game has in general. GOW 3 = 93% GOW 2= 94% GOW 1 = 93% What is the problem here exactly. GOW 3 is exactly at the same quality as the rest of the series. There's no flop going on here.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="Samurai_Xavier"]

Solar-X

Most good action adventure games score around the 4/5, 9.0, or 90% mark. Instead of taking one review and trying to say the game is underwhelming because the score simply says 4/5 instead of 5/5. Try reading the review instead. Or goto Metacritic or whatever and look and the score the game has in general. GOW 3 = 93% GOW 2= 94% GOW 1 = 93% What is the problem here exactly. GOW 3 is exactly at the same quality as the rest of the series. There's no flop going on here.

Basicly. Also I dont know why that guy is saying this was suppose to be the next AAAAE when noone really said that. It was said by alot to be expected to hit the AAA mark which it did in many places.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Master_ShakeXXX

This has got to be one of the dumbest topics I have ever seen. The game scored a 9.0 here, has a 92% at gamerankings, and a 93 at metacritic. How in the hell is it anywhere near a flop? The game is amazing without question, OP.

davaniius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 davaniius
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

The game is a success for sure but they rate UC2 higher. I believe that this game isn't for everyone taste's and that the devs played it too safe. Apart from great visuals, the gameplay didn't really evolve imo.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
Giantbomb is one of my more trusted review sites. Heck Jeff got fired from this website because he would not give Kayne and Lynch a high score even though they were paying this site money for adds. AKA the day I lost any faith in GS scores.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Master_ShakeXXX

The game is a success for sure but they rate UC2 higher. I believe that this game isn't for everyone taste's and that the devs played it too safe. Apart from great visuals, the gameplay didn't really evolve imo.

davaniius

It didn't need to evolve. The devs simply took what great gameplay they already had and perfected it.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Samurai_Xavier

This has got to be one of the dumbest topics I have ever seen. The game scored a 9.0 here, has a 92% at gamerankings, and a 93 at metacritic. How in the hell is it anywhere near a flop? The game is amazing without question, OP.

Master_ShakeXXX

Please stop making me repeat myself, I did not say the game flopped.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Samurai_Xavier

[QUOTE="davaniius"]

Master_ShakeXXX

It didn't need to evolve. The devs simply took what great gameplay they already had and perfected it.

Yes it did need to evolve, especially considering the game was on a new console.

It needed a better gameplay system to complement the amazing visuals IMO. At least being able to move the camera would have been a big improvement. It gets frustrating sometimes when you really want to look around and appreciate the visuals.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
lol, i love people calling "FLOP" even though games can only flop on GS. Because if any site can make a game flop, then Halo ODST is probably one of the biggest flops.
LenGen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LenGen
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

Gow3 got more 10s than it got 8s so think of it as a flop in your little world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Its impossible to get AAA on GB. it goes straight from 8 to 10. so 8 from giant bomb is a great score

robobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 robobie
Member since 2007 • 2172 Posts

Since when did we care about Giant Bomb scores?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
If only here was still at GS. SW would have gone crazy :P Though the 5 point system is different.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
:o wow! didnt excpect that
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]If only here was still at GS. SW would have gone crazy :P Though the 5 point system is different.

the 5 point system is worse than GS's system its either 100,80,60,40,20 and the gap between 80 and 100 is quite big 3/5 = BIG flop in SW
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

The game did well, but the expectations of it being a 9.5 to 10 was to high, as hack and slash games rarely get that I think.

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
Who cares. Every game gets some 80s from sites