Good Job Voting With Your Wallets: EA Made 71% of Their Revenue Through Live Service Games

• 78 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

“Games such asApex LegendsandFIFA Ultimate Teamhave proven time and again that they are massive money-makers over long periods of time.”

“Over the past few years, live-service games have grown to become a truly gargantuan concept, and the industry is quickly adapting to the idea of continuously updating, changing, and even reinventing successful titles to keep players coming back for more. Even companies such as Sony have begun to lean in this direction, with thePlayStation CEO convinced of live services' successin the coming years.”

Good job voting with your wallets everyone. You’re really making a difference!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

I can honestly say they've seen no money from me for these type of games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

I think you’re speaking to the wrong audience. The problem with the whole “voting with your wallets” concept is that those with the largest wallets can control the vote. A small group of whales can easily eclipse a much larger group of average gamers.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Not from me, haven't even bought a game from them in the past few years let alone paid any extra money for BS like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Archangel3371 said:

I think you’re speaking to the wrong audience. The problem with the whole “voting with your wallets” concept is that those with the largest wallets can control the vote. A small group of whales can easily eclipse a much larger group of average gamers.

That’s only half the battle. Folks need to pump money into the games they want in order to get publishers attention. Waiting for games to go on sale, or getting them used is counter productive to the cause.

Then there’s folks like in that discord meme, where they are “boycotting” games for one reason or another, but they end up buying them anyways.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Gamers are bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Must be their sport games full of microtransactions. Those will no doubt be their biggest sellers, Fifa and Madden. Throw on top of that BF2042 and what else they have last year that wasn't a live service game that wasn't the Mass Effect trilogy.

Keep in mind this is money made from live service games, it doesn't break down how much of that is accounted for through microtransactions versus the sales of those games by themselves.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Gave them a fat $0 in mtx. In the future, if i am interested in an EA game, i'll grab them used on the ps5. It what it is, EA.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

There making all there money off sports games period. There pigeon holded into a few sports game and the house cards could fall at moment with the government saying this is gambling thats trash and get rid of the gambling packs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371  Online

@goldenelementxl: Eh, I don’t really fault people for waiting for sales. A lot of people have limited income. Suggesting that they need to “pump money” into the games they want simply to get publishers attention just doesn’t really seem right to me. I get the whole “support what you like” concept but what you’re saying comes across as telling people they should simply try to throw more money at a publisher then the whales do.

I’m skeptic about the whole people boycotting a game but then buying it anyway. Is there really that much of them to make a difference one way or the other? Are they even that genuine either?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Archangel3371 said:

@goldenelementxl:

I’m skeptic about the whole people boycotting a game but then buying it anyway. Is there really that much of them to make a difference one way or the other? Are they even that genuine either?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Haven't bought an EA game since inquisition.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@zerothehero said:

There making all there money off sports games period. There pigeon holded into a few sports game and the house cards could fall at moment with the government saying this is gambling thats trash and get rid of the gambling packs.

Apex is a big money maker for them, too.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I lied, I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy last year but zero money was spent on live service nonsense.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371  Online

@goldenelementxl: Hard to say if that means much of anything. People do and say all kinds of stuff on the internet for shits and giggles and anything in between. Are they even putting in much money into EA’s Live Service to make much difference?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Last penny EA saw from me was from Jedi Fallen Order. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Companies will realize for every live service game that succeeds their are dozens of failures.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69477 Posts

Only a fool would believe that an extreme minority of gamers would have an effect on gaming.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I can honestly say they've seen no money from me for these type of games.

Same

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Apex has made $2 Billion in three years, with the expectation to make $1 Billion a year soon.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Boycotts do not work with only a small minority; they require the efforts of thousands of organized people to be effective. Interesting, there is no advocacy group for gamers while there is an advocacy group for the gaming industry.

Gamers need to get organized and advocate for their cause just like blue-collar workers, school teachers, police officers, senior citizens, racial and ethnic groups, taxpayers, etc. do. At this time, I am not seeing happening.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

With the cash Apex is printing, no wonder they wanted heroes in a Battlefield game. Good thing BF2042 blew in their face.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Well, they make the NFS games, license for madden (which is still a money printr), and FIFA which is a European money printr. Now they have these new kiddy games like apex or whatever.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@Archangel3371 said:

That’s only half the battle. Folks need to pump money into the games they want in order to get publishers attention. Waiting for games to go on sale, or getting them used is counter productive to the cause.

Then there’s folks like in that discord meme, where they are “boycotting” games for one reason or another, but they end up buying them anyways.

I think Archangel is correct here though. I thought I remember reading an article here on Gamespot or somewhere else recently that indicated a lot of the spending on these useless microtransactions are from whales with large amounts of money to just blow rather than the majority of us peasants that don't have that kinda scratch and only pay for things when we can (as well as not buying into the mtx stuff). I could easily see a bunch of whales just blowing money left and right on the cosmetics of these games and not giving a single ****. From what I've seen, they also don't care to be aware of the bad things EA (or any company) has done so they most likely don't check out websites or forums. Just blow their money.

It's unfortunate, but we can only do so much if the whales keep at it with the bad spending habits.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 onesiphorus

@poe13: I wonder why these "whales" (I never seen this word used to refer to big spenders of useless things before) feel the need to waste huge amount of money on useless things. Has it to do with enhancing their social prestige (a practice called "conspicuous consumption")?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#26  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

Haven't spent a penny with EA since Andromeda, and this board is not where you will find the general audience for apex and fifa which are undoubtedly making up the lions share of that revenue.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Who gives a shit what people buy? Spend your money on what you want, and don't worry about what others spend theirs on. It's always funny to me that most of the people who complain about live service games and not liking microtransactions don't even like paying full price for games in the first place. The problem with that line of thinking is that the games wouldn't even exist if there weren't others there picking up your slack. You like a product? You have to pay for it to keep it on the shelves and for continued updates, it's really just that simple. I don't mind spending some money here and there to support what I like. Sure, often times games are incomplete at launch these days which is complete bs, but people expect games to get continued support when the money dries up? That just isn't how things work in ANY sector of business or everyday life.

Do I like predatory microtransactions and targeting of certain demographics? Of course not, but just like with any other thing in life there isn't anyone else to blame but yourself if you either don't have the restraint to not overspend, or you get mad that you don't have the same amount of money as someone else that buys everything. That's life, and it won't effect you as long as you stay in control and still beat those people playing in $50 skins.

There are plenty of games to play that aren't pay to win, and cosmetics don't do anything for anyone. Now, if the rumors about getting easier lobbies in Warzone are true if you buy new skins... well, I am completely against that, but as long as things are just optional and don't effect gameplay while still ensuring we get new content all the time then screw it, they can buy everything they throw out there, and I'll just buy the stuff I want.

Loading Video...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BassMan

@WitIsWisdom: I care because publishers follow the money. Then they force developers to change their games to include the money making trends. This often ruins games. Just look at what happened to Battlefield. Never underestimate the power of corporate greed and its destructive nature.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

If that is all they are offering, how can gamers vote with their wallets.

Also Konami made 36% more profit than the year before, so I guess not making any real games anymore and making the worst game ever is the way forward?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@poe13 said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I think Archangel is correct here though. I thought I remember reading an article here on Gamespot or somewhere else recently that indicated a lot of the spending on these useless microtransactions are from whales with large amounts of money to just blow rather than the majority of us peasants that don't have that kinda scratch and only pay for things when we can (as well as not buying into the mtx stuff). I could easily see a bunch of whales just blowing money left and right on the cosmetics of these games and not giving a single ****. From what I've seen, they also don't care to be aware of the bad things EA (or any company) has done so they most likely don't check out websites or forums. Just blow their money.

It's unfortunate, but we can only do so much if the whales keep at it with the bad spending habits.

Jeeze...it's hard to find a starting point.

#1. We are now the minoroty

Despite our continued efforts to keep these forums (and quality gaming) alive, we are trying to hold back the river. What can 5 people do against a million?

#2. Whales

If that's what is truly controlling the gaming market, then I don't know what to do... besides not playing the game. But I just can't believe a handful of richeez are that into all these games; enough so that the millions of normies mean nothing? I just don't buy it... haha, or new games. The last new game I bought was Modern Warfare (to play with friends) in 2019. Phase #3

#3. Pay less, play more

Between Steam, subscriptions and shitty games, we have been conditioned to not pay for quality... only quantity. They have always tried to get the bills out of our wallets, but instead of selling US magic, they switched it with fentanyl... and marketed towards the kids. Even with @GoldenElementXL 's pic, that's at best 2,000 out of 10 million. We are the gnats that built this tower.

I come here to voice my opinion, confirm/deny my suspicions, learn, and to try and recapture what once was. And even though I believe this glorious pastime is forever ruined...I still have hope. And although some of you drive me up the wall...I would take you over the average any day.

@BassMan One of the best scenes in movie history

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Just because GameGaters® and Gamers™ spend their lives on Twitter and forums crying about the ownership of their precious hobby that doesn't mean they have that much of a significance on the market share. I'm fine with it, as long as the indie scene is wealthy I couldn't give two craps about the AAA space transitioning from shitty single player to shitty live services.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@dimebag667 said:
@poe13 said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Jeeze...it's hard to find a starting point.

#1. We are now the minoroty

Despite our continued efforts to keep these forums (and quality gaming) alive, we are trying to hold back the river. What can 5 people do against a million?

#2. Whales

If that's what is truly controlling the gaming market, then I don't know what to do... besides not playing the game. But I just can't believe a handful of richeez are that into all these games; enough so that the millions of normies mean nothing? I just don't buy it... haha, or new games. The last new game I bought was Modern Warfare (to play with friends) in 2019. Phase #3

#3. Pay less, play more

Between Steam, subscriptions and shitty games, we have been conditioned to not pay for quality... only quantity. They have always tried to get the bills out of our wallets, but instead of selling US magic, they switched it with fentanyl... and marketed towards the kids. Even with @GoldenElementXL 's pic, that's at best 2,000 out of 10 million. We are the gnats that built this tower.

I come here to voice my opinion, confirm/deny my suspicions, learn, and to try and recapture what once was. And even though I believe this glorious pastime is forever ruined...I still have hope. And although some of you drive me up the wall...I would take you over the average any day.

@BassMan One of the best scenes in movie history

Not playing the game could be a start. That takes a level of self control too many people lack.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Always serves as a wake-up call for those who think SW in any way mirrors the general gaming public couldn't be more wrong. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This is why modern gaming is 90% trash.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1238 Posts

Just have to hope indie scene continues to improve (not nearly as amazing as some would claim it is if you ask me)

As for the bigger companies ... I wish they would let devs who actually give a shit about their franchises have a crack at them instead of letting them collect dust ( or just sell them off ).

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8060 Posts

I guess i'm part of the problem..

I have no issue spending a few bucks to buy a skin or item for a game i'm enjoying.. 🤷🏽‍♂️

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Well that explains why I haven't bought or played a game from them for like two years or whenever BFV was released.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

Always serves as a wake-up call for those who think SW in any way mirrors the general gaming public couldn't be more wrong. :P

We are by far the minority. I mean who do you know in real life posts on a video game forum? I mean shit there's only like 20 of us that post here more than a few times per day lol.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@onesiphorus: My guess is there is no need for whales. They just blow money and don't even blink. Money for them isn't as crucial as it is for us regular workin' Joes who need to buy groceries and pay rent. They have money to blow and to hell with us or anyone who says they shouldn't. So then the industry shifts to cater to these types of people rather than people who play games for fun and get the unlocks in games by progressing normally rather than paying for more mtx.

Why should a company spend a few years and lots of money to pump out a $60 game with perhaps some dlc planned later when they could make an Apex Legends, Halo Infinite, Warzone, Fortnite, etc and just charge money for in-game bullshit? Those games are making lots of money because for some reason (whether its whales, stupid people wasting their hard-earned cash, or a mix of both) they are netting a lot of profit. Six years ago there were articles about GTA5's Shark Cards bringing in a whopping $500 million and that was back then. Just imagine what that figure is now. Rockstar put two games out in the last 9 years (not including remasters) and people are blowing their money on in-game crap to net this company hundreds of millions of dollars every year....on an in-game currency. So why would they work on a game when they can just milk the Shark Cards?

It sucks.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

Personally I've had no reason to buy anything from EA since BF1. Regret that purchase too, but at least it was somewhat playable.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts
@BassMan said:

@WitIsWisdom: I care because publishers follow the money. Then they force developers to change their games to include the money making trends. This often ruins games. Just look at what happened to Battlefield. Never underestimate the power of corporate greed and its destructive nature.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but BF 2042 isn't trash because of microtransactions, the game is just bad.

I want to see a list of games people truly feel were ruined by predatory microtransactions that are not pay to win type games. Sure they are a dime a dozen on the mobile side of things, but I just don't see how payed aesthetics ruin an otherwise good game.

I get that people want an all in experience, but microtransactions in games these days, and especially in online multiplayer games are generally what keeps the game alive (since the cats on top demand certain profit margins). Personally I'd rather be bombarded with choices that don't effect gameplay rather than be forced to pay for dlc which often does little more than fracture the player base.

Games you never hear about such practices in and are actually praised quite often are MMO's and several of them are the worst of all... Paid DLC's, monthly subscriptions, boosts, extra slots, and extremely overpriced skins and aesthetics. Why don't we hear more people complaining about games like FFXIV rather than games like Warzone?

I guess in my opinion that non pay to win cash shops beat the alternative of forcing people to pay for updates. Several of the people I have played with over the years never bought dlc or updates which either forced me to continue to play old content or dish out the money to get them onboard, so personally I like seeing the trend of moving away from paid dlc in online multiplayer games (for the most part) in favor of cash shops and battle passes, but that's just me I guess.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BassMan

@WitIsWisdom: Battlefield has slowly been poisoned by greed and chasing casuals for a while. It started in BF4 with the paid shortcut kits. Then you had the loot crates in BF1. Then they went live service in BFV with lots of paid customization, elites, chasing the BR trend, etc.. Now there is 2042 which has no identity because it had such a troubled development and had its design changed multiple times because they couldn't figure out if they were making a BR, an extraction shooter, or a BF game. Now we are stuck with specialists, shit maps that don't suit the game modes, and an overall broken mess that is still missing many features and is very light on content. So, yes, BF has been ruined by greed and chasing casuals and it is not even a pay to win game.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 onesiphorus

If "corporate greed" concerns gamers, why continue to support gaming? Why not find another hobby where corporate greed is not an issue?

If corporate greed and other negative aspects really bother me, I will just leave gaming and find another hobby. It is not just that I need gaming in my life as I need food or water.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BassMan

@onesiphorus said:

If "corporate greed" concerns gamers, why continue to support gaming? Why not find another hobby where corporate greed is not an issue?

If corporate greed and other negative aspects really bother me, I will just leave gaming and find another hobby. It is not just that I need gaming in my life as I need food or water.

Because there are still good games out there that are worth buying. Not every game has been corrupted. Support the good ones.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I don't spend a dime on Fifa, and Apex Legends got boring ages ago like every battle royale game gets boring after a point. I like a proper competitive game in comparison, so I'll continue to do my part of not supporting the EA machine.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Not from me. I haven't bought an EA game in years. Not because I am boycotting, they just have not released anything I am interested in for quite some time. If I do get interested, I will play it on Game Pass Ultimate.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#48 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

"But the customer is always right..."

*death stare*

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

"But the customer is always right..."

*death stare*

Luigi's not thrilled with this news.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

People are willing to invest time and, money into the things they enjoy. Shocking.