Gonna get flack, but Insomniac isn't one of the greater development houses

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#101 MonkaTG
Member since 2006 • 2596 Posts
They make some of the best games of each genre, if you are a fan of the genre then you damn well know who Insomniac is and what they're all about. Just like how RPG, sports, platforming, adventure fans could give a damn about Epic Games the same falls for Insomniac or any other company for that matter.
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
R&C is up there with GTA IMHO. It's always a day one buy for me. They never halfass anything and I always finish their games( i cant say the same for GTA:SA).
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
Personally i think whatever they make is of very high quality. RFoM 2 is one of my most anticipated titles, and every R+C is a good to very good playthrough, despite GS's review scores.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

i think the games are good, but not great. i agree. Ratched was a mediocre shooter adventure game (far from a platform game) that looked great. Resistance a good run and gun shooter, but felt last gen...

Still, i hope resistance 2 will be a real step up.. and not just in textures....

yep, fully agree

bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 bragac200
Member since 2003 • 1161 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Agreed

Bungie Had Myth Series and Marathon. Then The big Halo Trilogy. With Halo COmbat Evolved and Halo 2 being the king of console shooters last gen. Halo 3 is still arguably 2nd best based on popularity so far.

Valve had Half Life

Nintendo has Zelda and Mario

Rockstar has Grand Theft Auto

Konami with Metal Gear Solid

Capcom with Resident Evil

Retro Studios had Metroid Prime Trilogy

Insomniac is good, but nothing special. In fact they are quite overrated. Epic as arrogant as they are still had Gears of War and Unreal 1 and Unreal 2k4Not-A-Stalker

The difference between Insomniac and all those that you just named off is that Insomniac is just one small studio. Capcom, Konami, Rockstar and Nintendo are a big collection of different studios. It's really unfair to compare them, unless you want to get into the specific studios of those companies you named.

This is true, Nintendo is a publisher that relies on a network of developers to make its games. Although I think Insomniac is actually a pretty large developer.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#106 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
You guys are crazy. I think Insomniac is great, I wouldnt call them the best but I would certainly say they are up there with the best.
imapieceofwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 imapieceofwood
Member since 2006 • 1855 Posts
agreed. they make good games considering they only have a year to make it.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

but what about ratchet?

hes so cute!

Avatar image for williamjuly2004
williamjuly2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 williamjuly2004
Member since 2005 • 307 Posts

Insomniac is one of greats. I don't know why everyone is slamming insomniac for producing awesome games every year? Would I like my game now or 3 years later I think I would prefer it now. I swear people seem to think the fact that they can produce great games every year is a bad thing??

Also stop comparing Insomniac to other companies like nitendo and blizzard!!! Blizzard and Nitendo are like 20 times bigger than Insomniac!!

Bungie I respect there a great gaming company but can they make quality games besides Halo with three verisons of Halo3 out there all ready??

Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts
I'm sorry but you said Insomniac games dont stand out as gems, I have to disagree. When thinking of awesome games from the PS1 and PS2 library, Ratchet and Clank and the original Spyro games spring to mind straight away. Resistance was only 'good' because it was their first FPS attempt, I think Resistance 2 will nail it and be Fantastic just like the rest of their games. They games they produce are just so well polished in terms of graphics and gameplay, and they're just pure fun. So no I disagree, Insomniac is one of the greatest development houses.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I'd never heard of Insomniac before I bought my PS3 but I like them so far, they show that they can make good, fun and creative games. It's like if you buy a Insomniac game you know you're getting something that's above avarage. I wouldn't consider them to be the best developer or anything because we all know that's Valve.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#112 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Insomniac is one of greats. I don't know why everyone is slamming insomniac for producing awesome games every year? Would I like my game now or 3 years later I think I would prefer it now. I swear people seem to think the fact that they can produce great games every year is a bad thing??

Also stop comparing Insomniac to other companies like nitendo and blizzard!!! Blizzard and Nitendo are like 20 times bigger than Insomniac!!

Bungie I respect there a great gaming company but can they make quality games besides Halo with three verisons of Halo3 out there all ready??

williamjuly2004
Insomniac made 5 Ratchet games. From 02-07.

Bungie made 3 different Halo games form 01-07.

Bungie also made the Marathon and the Myth Seris. Both had critical and small commercial success. Halo is just the most popular thing they have done.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#113 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Well, the way I see it is that their quality is about EPIC games pre-Gear. I mean, the Ratchet and Clank series is comparable to the Unreal series in quality, isn't it?

Epic Game's Unreal Series:

1. Unreal Tournament 2004 PC - 92.9%
  2. Unreal Tournament 3 PS3 - 86.1%
  3. Unreal Tournament PC - 93.6%
  4. Unreal Tournament 2003 PC - 88.2%
  5. Unreal Championship XB - 82.8%
  6. Unreal Championship 2 - Lilandri Conflict XB - 86.5%
  7. Unreal Tournament 3 PC - 83.5%
Average: 87.6571

Insomniac's Ratchet and Clank:

1. Ratchet and Clank PS2 - 89.3%
  2. Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal PS2 - 91.5%
  3. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando PS2 - 90.6%
  4. Ratchet and Clank Deadlocked PS2 - 82.5%
  5. Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction PS3 - 88.497%
Average: 88.4794

And that's not counting their Spyro series:

1. Spyro the Dragon PS - 85.7%
  2. Spyro: Ripto's Rage PS - 90.6%
  3. Spyro: Year of the Dragon PS - 86.6%
Average: 87.63333..

And then the Resistance series to the Gears series:

1. 86.782% - Resistance: Fall of Man
  2. 93.750% - Gears of War
And you got to remember, the original Resistance was a launch title. That would surely affect it's quality, as how many consoles launched with full triple A games all around, as quite often launch titles are rushed. I mean, it's painfully obvious from the way the story was told that it was launched as I'm sure even Insomniac realised that being told a story isn't that great. They've had time to make this sequel so it may in fact stand up to Gears of War 2. Then again, it might not.thrones
Halo COmbat Evolved, Super Mario 64, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2:Rogue Leader all say hello.

1 of those was revolutionary

1 of them was the next big evolution in console FPS gaming

The other was just AAA.

No excuses. It has been proven before that you can make an amazing launch game.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#114 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I still don't understand how it's bad to put out a good game every year. Sure Insomniac might not have the most memorable titles but I'd rather then put something good out every year and then put some mediocre out every other year. They're good at what they do and they make solid games.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Seraphimon
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

Knew this was gonna be taken the wrong way.

For the people saying Insomniac is one of the better developers out there, would you like to elaborate on the developers they stack up with?

Would you have traded the games Ico and SOTC for 4 more Ratchets last gen? How about Okami for 3 more Spyros?

How about GT5 for another Crash Bandicoot? Metal Gear 2 or 3 for 5 more console Castlevanias?

Most people i know would say hell no.

The games above are considered to be the gems of the ps2 library.

Insomniac games are fun stopgaps that pad out a release list.

Nice, but i could do without them, if it means i get the Ico's, and Okamis of the industry.

They're not a Valve, a Bioware, Blizzard or a Bungie.

Truth be told, i'd wager Sony would cut Insomniac lose(end dealings with them completely) if it meant they could get another team of Ueda's quality in their place.

They know their role, and play it well.

They're just not one of the greats, imo.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#116 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

For the people saying Insomniac is one of the better developers out there, would you like to elaborate on the developers they stack up with?

Would you have traded the games Ico and SOTC for 4 more Ratchets last gen? How about Okami for 3 more Spyros?

How about GT5 for another Crash Bandicoot? Metal Gear 2 or 3 for 5 more console Castlevanias?

Nice, but i could do without them, if it means i get the Ico's, and Okamis of the industry.

Truth be told, i'd wager Sony would cut Insomniac lose(end dealings with them completely) if it meant they could get another team of Ueda's quality in their place.

Seraphimon

They're good at what they, simple as that. They know the hardware and they release good games for the hardware. They could probably do better if they wanted to. They are talented and they seem like fun guys. Sure there are better devs, even ones you didn't mention that aren't even anywhere as popular.

The bottom line is, at the end of the day, they get it done, a solid game is released, and people play it and enjoy it.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Seraphimon
[QUOTE="Seraphimon"]

Tiefster

They're good at what they, simple as that. They know the hardware and they release good games for the hardware. They could probably do better if they wanted to. They are talented and they seem like fun guys. Sure there are better devs, even ones you didn't mention that aren't even anywhere as popular.

The bottom line is, at the end of the day, they get it done, a solid game is released, and people play it and enjoy it.

I never said they weren't a good developer. Or that their games aren't good, enjoyable titles. First post acknowledged this.

What i said, is that as a developer, Insomniac makes good to great titles, but they don't make the gems of a library. That's why i equated them to a Mario baseball type of developer.

The gameplay is solid, undeniably fun, but it's not a crown on a library.

My entire point of this thread, was to call out the people who make them out to be bigger movers and shakers than they actually are in the industry, mainly because it's not fair to the games they make, and it's not fair to the developers themselves.

I don't buy Mario sluggers expecting it to replace an EA produced game as the Baseball king game.

So why should people look at Ratchet as the Mariokiller, or Resistance as the Halo/Gears killer?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Looks like you didn't catch much flak after all. :P

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#119 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
To all of you who agree with TC, fair enough, not everyone enjoys their games, IMO they make some really creative games, the weapons in R&C have always been some of the most wacky and bizzare i've ever encountered, sure they aren't the best developer in the world but they come pretty high in my books.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Seraphimon

So it's pretty much agreed that Insomniac has been somewhat overrated these past few months?

Competent but not masterful?

Big_Boss465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Big_Boss465
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
They've made good games, nothing great though. I've bought both of their PS3 titles and enjoyed them, but I would not consider them anywhere near the top tier of next gen games. Resistance was ok, Ratchet was good but more of the same. I could probably easily name 20 games off the top of my head that have came out since November 2005 that I've liked more than their next gen titles. Good but not great sums it up for me.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
I disagree 100%. i loved all the games ive played so far (entire ratchet series, spyro, resistance). imo they are up there with nintendo.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

So it's pretty much agreed that Insomniac has been somewhat overrated these past few months?

Seraphimon

While not masters, I'd say they are more than competent.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

Seraphimon

exactly

their games are forgettable and derivative. No-one will ever claim an Insomnicac game is revolutionary, groundbreaking or an all time classic

yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
[QUOTE="Seraphimon"]

vicmackey39

exactly

their games are forgettable and derivative. No-one will ever claim an Insomnicac game is revolutionary, groundbreaking or an all time classic

While I don't think they are ground breaking, I still remember every single one of their games. They have made some of my favorite games ever, including my favorite one.
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

While I don't think they are ground breaking, I still remember every single one of their games. They have made some of my favorite games ever, including my favorite one.yellowandmushy

i doubt many would agree with you. I have never played a game from them that stands alongside greats like Half Life, Ico, OOT, Galaxy, Super Metroi, Planescape, Baldurs Gate 2, Metal Gear Solid etc

forgettable developer, forgettable games

yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts

[QUOTE="yellowandmushy"]While I don't think they are ground breaking, I still remember every single one of their games. They have made some of my favorite games ever, including my favorite one.vicmackey39

i doubt many would agree with you. I have never played a game from them that stands alongside greats like Half Life, Ico, OOT, Galaxy, Super Metroi, Planescape, Baldurs Gate 2, Metal Gear Solid etc

forgettable developer, forgettable games

The reason you haven't played a game of their's on the level of the games you listed is because they haven't made one of that quality though. I still think they are fantastic developers and Spyro: Year of The Dragon stands as my favorite game ever made.
Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

Alot of the statements being made about Insomniac's games are all opinions here. The only one of them that are facts is that they release top-shelf/high quality titles once per year. I'll even add to that fact; Insomniac is one of the big reasons Sony and its PS3 made it out alive of its first year on the market.

Rating developers on 'who is the best' is subjective because alot of people are going to lean with the developers of some of their personal favorite games. Also, in this very thread people are screwing it up by comparing PUBLISHERS (Ubisoft, Nintendo) with DEVELOPERS (Blizzard, Insomniac). If you want to actually get an accurate measurement of who are some of the best developers out there you need to ask other video game developers. And on that level, I know for a fact most game developers would easily agree Insomniac is in at LEAST the top 5.

And even then, it is still a matter of opinion. The only thing that can be known for sure is that they are a developer who delivers on all their promises of delivering very fun games with high production values (By that I mean nearly bug-free) annually. This is something they have not compromised on in the last 7 or 8 years of history and is something that very few, if no other development studio can say they have achieved.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
their games are decent but not epic.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Seraphimon

To Shensolidus

I never made the mistake of comparing Insomniac to Nintendo as a whole, specifically for the reason you outlined. I compared them to a studio owned by Nintendo, another studio owned by Sony, and a studio owned by Microsoft.

And i respectfully disagree about it taking another developer to be able to see the best of the group.

In a medium like games, i think it merely takes a look at the most fondly remembered games to see which developers get it. Sometimes a game like GTA is mentioned, or another time a game like Okami, or Windwaker is revered.

You ask people what it is that made these games so special, and they'll say something like a magic touch that saturates it.

Top 5? As a developing envoirment, surely.

But the games themselves is what matters at the end of the day.

What are your favorite games from last gen?

I'll list mine in no particular order.

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Prime

Shadow of the Colossus

Killer Seven

Wind Waker

Smash Melee

F-zero GX

Radiata Stories

FF12

Ico

Twilight Princess

Viewtiful Joe

Resi Remake

Resi 4

Okami

DMC 3

MGS 3 Snake Eater

VP Silmeria

Fire Emblem POR

Paper Mario:TTYD

Top 5 developers

Team Ueda

PolyDIgital

EAD Tokyo

Clover/Platinum Games

Valve

Blizzard

Bioware

BlackIsles Studios

Square

TriAce

Enix

Intelligent Systems

Insomniac doesn't even scratch the top ten, why?

Cuz their games are good, enjoyable but not the experiences of a generation.

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
Yes, but it doesn't stop them for going to the top...
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Seraphimon
Seven Months later, and the release of Quest for Booty and Resistance 2 passing, can anyone refute my point. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346575 In the thread above, you have a Insomniac employee basically doing internet focus testing to try to improve their product. And many people in that thread, parrot my point to the word. Insomniac games are serviceable, but they aren't the gems. The industry knows it, and so do the consumers(see sale charts), and now it appears Insomniac knows it too. Truth hurts boys and gels.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

agreed.

wont stop me from playing R2 though XD

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#134 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
i agree. ratchet and clank kinda got old after a while. and resistance didn't really bring anything new to the table.
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#135 Afro_Samurai1
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts

Insomniac releases QUALITY titles every year. They are very consistent and the final product is always a great game.EVOLV3

I agree insomiac produces a good game each year

/thread

-MaskedMan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 -MaskedMan-
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts

agreed. insomniac is only famous for the ratchet and clank series-which at the very, very core is a mario ripoff(and i'm talking at the very, very core of the r&c series) and resistance, which is a halo ripoff.

Grasshopper Manufacture, Kojima Productions and Double Fine Studios have made better games, and Double Fine at this point has made only one. But I WANT BURTAL LEGEND NOW. cows, this is the truth.