Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch new IP) Trailer (PS4 Exclusive)

• 131 results
Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

From 2:08 it's actually gameplay.

Looks like this is taking place during the first Mongol invasion of Japan under Kublai Kahn. Which is even cooler considering they got Benedict Wong to reprise his role for this game from Marco Polo.

Tsushima Island was also a haven for Japanese pirates (Wokou) from 13th to 16th century who wreaked havoc in coastal towns of China & Korea for centuries. I'm not getting that lawless pirate stronghold vibe from this trailer though.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#102  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@scatteh316 said:

Microsoft can have the title of 'resolution king' with X but the graphics king title still belongs to Sony....... there's not a single game on X that matches Sony first party titles graphically.

Sorry, but the graphics king is on PC.

Some...... some PC's...... or are you going to pretend every PC gamer is rocking a Core i9 and GTX1080ti?

Because you need an i9 and a GTX 1080 ti to beat a PS4? lol

try, any i3 CPU (or equivalent), 8GB DDR3 ram and a GTX 750 ti (or equivalent), or a GTX 970 (or equivalent) for a PS4 Pro.

@scatteh316 said:
@Dark_sageX said:

Now this is a very interesting looking game, its looking to have a very interesting plot and the game play looks like a traditional hack and slash.

To bad its an exclusive, meaning its gonna be sub par 30fps with lots of jaggies, "sigh".

Ahahahahahahahahahaha..........NO

uumm yes?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

This is one of the many reasons playstation is superior to xbox. Playstation actually has new games to play.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

This is one of the many reasons playstation is superior to xbox. Playstation actually has new games to play.

Many reasons? Lol. The ONLY way that PS is better than Xbox is first party output (and that depends on what types of games you like). That's about it.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: many new IPs and heavy hitters. The world might have cared about halo, gears, and forza in 2006 but times have changed. When xbox has games, i will admit it has surpassed playstation. The controller, online dont mean shit if it has 99 percent of everything on pc and ps yet those two offer a lot more games in addition

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 hrt_rulz01

@Fairmonkey said:

@hrt_rulz01: many new IPs and heavy hitters. The world might have cared about halo, gears, and forza in 2006 but times have changed. When xbox has games, i will admit it has surpassed playstation. The controller, online dont mean shit if it has 99 percent of everything on pc and ps yet those two offer a lot more games in addition

Well of course if you have a Windows 10 PC (which is part of the Xbox ecosystem), and prefer to game on PC, then an Xbox console is pointless for you.

And many people still care about Halo/Gears/Forza. But Xbox does have a bunch of new stuff coming as well.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Well of course if you have a Windows 10 PC (which is part of the Xbox ecosystem), and prefer to game on PC, then an Xbox console is pointless for you.

And many people still care about Halo/Gears/Forza. But Xbox does have a bunch of new stuff coming as well.

Yup, I still love seeing these posts of people bashing MS, yet support them 150% via PCs... lmao

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 hrt_rulz01

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Yup, I still love seeing these posts of people bashing MS, yet support them 150% via PCs... lmao

Lol, yeah... they say "Xbox has no games" yet they then proceed to say that they have a PC and can buy them anyway without an Xbox. I don't think MS cares whether you buy them on console or Windows.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Stop crying.

Sony is the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA ips a reality over and over again. Some will be decent, others great, others craps. Thats how it is. But they keep trying and because of this mentality we had and keep having some epic games since the very first PS console. This generation was no exception. Bloodborne, Horizon, Gravity Rush and so many others. And the funny thing, theres no stop to this even if PS4 going to its 5th year. Ghost of tsushima looked great i hope it plays great too.

Wheres X1, wheres Wii U ? The one is with no exclusives at all for quite while now and the other dead ... Then blame Sony for providing new IPs over and over along everything else and bypass the fact that X1 has no exclusives and Wii U is dead, the competitors of eighth generation of consoles that is. SW logic.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#111 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@kozio said:

Looks like this is taking place during the first Mongol invasion of Japan under Kublai Kahn. Which is even cooler considering they got Benedict Wong to reprise his role for this game from Marco Polo.

Tsushima Island was also a haven for Japanese pirates (Wokou) from 13th to 16th century who wreaked havoc in coastal towns of China & Korea for centuries. I'm not getting that lawless pirate stronghold vibe from this trailer though.

That's the thing that interests me most about this game, the Mongol invasion of Japan. That's something which we rarely ever see depicted in entertainment media. Which is surprising, since there's some good material there, i.e. the Samurai underdogs taking on and repelling the might of the Mongol Empire. Although, the reality is that it wasn't because of the Samurai, but the Mongols failed to conquer Japan because of the Kamikaze storms which wrecked the Mongol ships.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By AzatiS

@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:

Stop crying.

Sony is the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA ips a reality over and over again. Some will be decent, others great, others craps. Thats how it is. But they keep trying and because of this mentality we had and keep having some epic games since the very first PS console. This generation was no exception. Bloodborne, Horizon, Gravity Rush and so many others. And the funny thing, theres no stop to this even if PS4 going to its 5th year. Ghost of tsushima looked great i hope it plays great too.

Wheres X1, wheres Wii U ? The one is with no exclusives at all for quite while now and the other dead ... Then blame Sony for providing new IPs over and over along everything else and bypass the fact that X1 has no exclusives and Wii U is dead, the competitors of eighth generation of consoles that is. SW logic.

Ubisoft also make new IPs and yet gets the flack for rehashing the same gameplay loop over and over again but hey it's Sony. We can't call them out on their rehashing.

You generalize the point to make it sound like PS exclusives are only rehashes. ICO , Shadow of Colossus and many other Exclusive games beg to differ. Go google and educate yourself.

If those game arent for you, so be it. But for the rest of us, oh boy.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By AzatiS

@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:
@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:

Stop crying.

Ubisoft also make new IPs and yet gets the flack for rehashing the same gameplay loop over and over again but hey it's Sony. We can't call them out on their rehashing.

You generalize the point to make it sound like PS exclusives are only rehashes. ICO , Shadow of Colossus and many other Exclusive games beg to differ. Go google and educate yourself.

ICO and SotC? Those games were released two generations ago. I'm talking about Sony's output for PS4 especially ever since they found success with UC2. Ubisoft also used to have great titles that are unique back in 6th gen.

And ? Noone is talking about PS4, its you talking on your own. Read again my original post.

Now gtfo and go play Gears 4 or Halo 5 or forza 21314 that are not rehashes or Kart 213 and Splatoon 2 ..

Just dont make me make a huge exclusive list now of Sony PS exclusive games please and we laugh out loud in comparison .. just let it be.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Third person cinematic action adventure games are my favorite type of gameplay type so I have zero complaints for Ghost of Tsushima continuing that trend.

If you don't like those types of games then move on to something else.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By AzatiS

@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:
@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:

ICO and SotC? Those games were released two generations ago. I'm talking about Sony's output for PS4 especially ever since they found success with UC2. Ubisoft also used to have great titles that are unique back in 6th gen.

And ? Noone is talking about PS4, its you talking on your own. Read again my original post.

Now gtfo and go play Gears 4 or Halo 5 or forza 21314 that are not rehashes or Kart 213 and Splatoon 2 ..

Just dont make me make a huge exclusive list now of Sony PS exclusive games please and we laugh out loud in comparison .. just let it be.

Sony is the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA ips a reality over and over again

You said it right there in your post, which is factually wrong since all companies are creating new IPs hence I mentioned Ubisoft. And that's where I said what's point of new IPs when they are rehashing the same thing over and over again which Sony started doing after UC2 success.

Gears 4 and Halo? The **** are you talking about neither do I like these games nor do I play on consoles. Hell I don't even own any console for that matter. Is this the cows only defense of Sony to say hurr durr MS does it worse. Pathetic!

Sony first party exclusives are all the same cinematic Third Person action adventure ever since UC2 saw success, someone even posted a pic highlighting the same issue. Remain butthurt and deal with it.

Yeah its the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA Ips, over and over again. Thats a damn fact.

Now tell me what are you playing ? COD and BF ? Forza and Halo ? Kart and Smash ? Maybe Overwatch and HOts ? Is it Street Fighter 5 or Tekken 7 ? What are the games youve played this generation that arent rehashes then saying PSs games are so its a bad thing ? hahaha, damn. Some people.. backfires everytime, you dont even think when you start attacking and mumbling.

Tell me to make you cry and prove your hypocrisy behind your responses, what are you playing that isnt as you calling it "rehash" and suddenly PS games are all about rehashing so we shoudlnt praise Sony for at least trying to provide new ips over and over every single generation ? Lets see wholl end up butthurt. If you dare, answer.

And for the record to see how this will end up, im a hermit since late 90s, my last console purchase was a PS2 and i wasnt even the biggest fan of the console, i was a Dreamcast fan more than anything. This wont end well for you at all because as hermit i know what games are on my platform of choice and with your logic ... 99% of "rehashes" are there so PC sucks right ? Riiiiight ? haha

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

the scene with the samurai's riding horses look like it came out of the last samurai and I have never seen that movie.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

not really, a third Crackdown game, State of Decay sequel, and one new IP in Sea of Thieves.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@jcrame10 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

not really, a third Crackdown game, State of Decay sequel, and one new IP in Sea of Thieves.

Plus games like Cuphead, Ori 2 plus others that have been funded (at least partially) by MS. And also PUBG... whether that's a full-blown exclusive remains to be seen. But it will be for a decent while.

And I still maintain that the main reason Sony's "exclusive" output seems better is because of Japanese devs that are supporting PS4. If you take away most of those games, the lineup doesn't seem as good. I mean, a lot of the Sony 1st/2nd party games are old IPs/licences too (ie. Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Spiderman, Gran Turismo, Infamous etc).

Anyway, each to their own.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#122 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@jcrame10 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Plus games like Cuphead, Ori 2 plus others that have been funded (at least partially) by MS. And also PUBG... whether that's a full-blown exclusive remains to be seen. But it will be for a decent while.

And I still maintain that the main reason Sony's "exclusive" output seems better is because of Japanese devs that are supporting PS4. If you take away most of those games, the lineup doesn't seem as good. I mean, a lot of the Sony 1st/2nd party games are old IPs/licences too (ie. Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Spiderman, Gran Turismo, Infamous etc).

Knack, Driveclub, The Order: 1886, No Man's Sky, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh, etc Sony has took the leap with more new franchises than anyone else in the last 5 years.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 hrt_rulz01

@jcrame10 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@jcrame10 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Knack, Driveclub, The Order: 1886, No Man's Sky, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh, etc Sony has took the leap with more new franchises than anyone else in the last 5 years.

ReCore, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Sea of Thieves, Ori & the Blind Forest (Will of Wisps coming), Cuphead, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Super Lucky's Tale... plus others.

Yes, I know that some of these were mediocre, but so were some of the ones you listed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@metalboi said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@jcrame10 said:

ReCore, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Sea of Thieves, Ori & the Blind Forest (Will of Wisps coming), Cuphead, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Super Lucky's Tale... plus others.

Yes, I know that some of these were mediocre, but so were some of the ones you listed.

I don't even own a XB1 anymore, but the games you listed are way better, as far as new IPs are concerned. It's like he made a list of the who's who of worst games possible, with a couple of exceptions.

Yeah well that's obviously down to each persons' taste... but I'm just trying to point out that it's not like MS hasn't invested in new IP this gen. They have. Yes alot of them didn't turn out very good, but some definitely did. And a lot of Sony's were sh** too.

But I hope MS revisit a couple of them, such as ReCore. I think it has potential, with the right developer & budget.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@bowtothepc said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@scatteh316 said:

Microsoft can have the title of 'resolution king' with X but the graphics king title still belongs to Sony....... there's not a single game on X that matches Sony first party titles graphically.

Sorry, but the graphics king is on PC.

Not to mention all Sony games saw downgrades from their 'running realtime on PS4' reveal trailers.

On topic, excited to see a Samurai game from a western developer. Don't get me wrong I love Japanese devs did with Ninja Gaiden and Nioh but it's time a Ninja game with good production values to be made.

I prefer Sony games but it's true. Shadows take a hit and more aliasing on retail afaicr.

Yes me too. Interested with an AAA Samurai game from a high end studio.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@bowtothepc said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@bowtothepc said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Maybe it's just me. But, the trailer looks almost like scenes from The Last Samurai. Most of the non-gameplay parts, anyway.

There's the risk that it's yet another 3rd-person game I have no interest in playing. But, I like the setting enough that I might take the chance.

Oh, you can bet your ass it will be another Cinematic Third Person action-adventure game. Sony has become the Ubisoft of cinematic Third Person games.

And some console gamers have the nerve to say PC exclusives lack diversity when most console exclusives are third person action games with stealth elements. Ghost Of Tsushima was even stated by Suckerpunch to be a third person action adventure game with stealth elements.

Damn! I was somewhat hoping it would be different and kind of like Nioh/Nier but knowing Sony only I'm to be blamed.

It's all the same damn game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Another great PS4 exclusive

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By AzatiS

@bowtothepc said:
@AzatiS said:
@bowtothepc said:

Sony is the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA ips a reality over and over again

You said it right there in your post, which is factually wrong since all companies are creating new IPs hence I mentioned Ubisoft. And that's where I said what's point of new IPs when they are rehashing the same thing over and over again which Sony started doing after UC2 success.

Gears 4 and Halo? The **** are you talking about neither do I like these games nor do I play on consoles. Hell I don't even own any console for that matter. Is this the cows only defense of Sony to say hurr durr MS does it worse. Pathetic!

Sony first party exclusives are all the same cinematic Third Person action adventure ever since UC2 saw success, someone even posted a pic highlighting the same issue. Remain butthurt and deal with it.

Yeah its the one and only company out there that pays to make NEW AAA Ips, over and over again. Thats a damn fact.

The f**k? How could someone be so stupid. It's like you have no reading comprehension skills. Alright I'll bite:

What you said is factually wrong. All companies have created new IPs and still creating them. Sony is not the only one:

EA: Titanfall, Multiple Star Wars games, Anthem, A Way Out, Plants vs Zombies.

Activision: Don't really follow their games but Destiny comes immediately to mind.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs, For Honor, The Division, Steep, Crew, South Park, Child of Light, Skulls and Bone, Valient Hearts etc.

And the company you hate the most - Microsoft: Ryse, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Ori, Cuphead, Recore, Sunset Overdrive.

These were just of the top of my head, and now that you have been proven to be a liar let's see your goal post move. Now to your other points.

Now tell me what are you playing ? COD and BF ? Forza and Halo ? Kart and Smash ? Maybe Overwatch and HOts ? Is it Street Fighter 5 or Tekken 7 ? What are the games youve played this generation that arent rehashes then saying PSs games are so its a bad thing ? hahaha, damn. Some people.. backfires everytime, you dont even think when you start attacking and mumbling.

None of them apart from BF. Just because you have a shit taste because you're a Sony fanboy doesn't mean everyone is like you. I have been playing: Divinity, Shadow Tactics, Dishonored 2, Titanfall, Aragami, Prey, MGS 5, DOOM, Witcher 3. None of them were rehashes. Too bad you don't even know the meaning of word rehash. And you have the gut s to call out Blizzard for rehashing OW but are fine with Sony's copy-paste of cinematic Third Person games. You made your self look like a zealous Sony fan.

Tell me to make you cry and prove your hypocrisy behind your responses, what are you playing that isnt as you calling it "rehash" and suddenly PS games are all about rehashing so we shoudlnt praise Sony for at least trying to provide new ips over and over every single generation ? Lets see wholl end up butthurt. If you dare, answer.

The only hypocrite here is you. And since I have already proven above that you are factually wrong about Sony being the only company that makes new IPs. Ubisoft created more new IPs and yet they get flak for rehashing the same gameplay loop but you dare not point out Sony for rehashing the same UC2 forumla over and over again. All their big IPs are Third Person Action-Adventure and after KZ:SF they haven't produced a single title that plays from a different perspective. Sony copy-paste their gameplay loop worse than Ubisoft ever did. See this pic posted earlier and remain butthurt:

And for the record to see how this will end up, im a hermit since late 90s, my last console purchase was a PS2 and i wasnt even the biggest fan of the console, i was a Dreamcast fan more than anything. This wont end well for you at all because as hermit i know what games are on my platform of choice and with your logic ... 99% of "rehashes" are there so PC sucks right ? Riiiiight ? haha

Such a hermit you're that you don't even know what games are being made for PC and to defend Sony calls all PC games rehashes when I just proved above how you're wrong. The point was what good are new IPs when they are rehashes of each other and I have proven that without a doubt how Sony First Party out is same apart from a setting. But but....SOny made SoTC and ICo two generations back, LMAO.

Shhh hypocrite, you think ill even read all this wall of text.

Back to point. You playing as many rehashes as the ones you blaming Sony for. Im just using your own logic against you. Period. Now that i exposed your hypocrisy hard and everything you said backfired back to you, go cry and let sony do what it does best. Providing new aaa ips over and over , being 3rd person or shooters or driving sims or platforms or story driven games or indies or RPGs or you name it. Doesnt really matter as long as they try.

Now keep mumbling to prove elephants are rats all i care. Made you cry didnt i ? Sure i did with so much mumbling. I warned you, dont blame me little guy. You asked for it. Doom and Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2 hahaha... Gtfo hypocrite, you run out of arguments already. 4 years now you played those games only ? And even if for the sake of argument i let that pass, among those games you see nothing rehashed ? Hahaha !! Dont mess with me next time, will be ending like this all the time.

Ghost of Tsushima, why the hell not. Another new IP from Sony. Cry all you want about it, Sony is the only one trying new IPs as we speak in such fashion. Days gone , Bloodborne, Last Guardian , Gravity rush, Until Dawn, Detroit, Death Stranding, Horizon, God of war, Spider-man, Wild, Driveclub, The order and so many other games ! Some decent, some bad, some badass .. but they keep coming! Who else does that ? Noone. Period

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@kozio said:

That's the thing that interests me most about this game, the Mongol invasion of Japan. That's something which we rarely ever see depicted in entertainment media. Which is surprising, since there's some good material there, i.e. the Samurai underdogs taking on and repelling the might of the Mongol Empire. Although, the reality is that it wasn't because of the Samurai, but the Mongols failed to conquer Japan because of the Kamikaze storms which wrecked the Mongol ships.

There are only a handful of historical settings with multiple big games, it'll be interesting to see a different part of feudal japanese history explored. It wasn't just Japanese forces and Kamikaze storms. Mongols attacked with mainly Chinese and Koreans, they did many sabotage behind the curtain. Mongolian commanders who were used to commanding Mongolians expected same abilities and moral. Mongols used Chinese/Korean type of ships in their invasion. It didn't help that most of the ships they used were river vessels. Which were unsuited to ocean crossing, especially in bad weather. Research shows that the construction of the ships were hurried using low quality timber, and the already subjugated Koreans might have intentionally sabotaged the ships. It was also the reluctance of the Chinese navy to fight for their new leader, Kublai Khan.

Sizable forces did make landfall and had good success against the Japanese but they had supply issues and pretty much none of the siege machines made it across. Plus the mountainous terrain wasn't very suitable for the Mongol style of warfare so they gave up. They would have made a third attempt and may have been more successful at it but Kublai died.

considering they got Benedict Wong to reprise his role for this game from Marco Polo.

It's actually Patrick Gallagher. This article on the Playstation blog lists the two actors shown at the bottom of the article.

I have a bit of a fear that the combat will just be cloning AC/Shadow of Mordor combat.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#133 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@kozio said:
@Jag85 said:
@kozio said:

There are only a handful of historical settings with multiple big games, it'll be interesting to see a different part of feudal japanese history explored. It wasn't just Japanese forces and Kamikaze storms. Mongols attacked with mainly Chinese and Koreans, they did many sabotage behind the curtain. Mongolian commanders who were used to commanding Mongolians expected same abilities and moral. Mongols used Chinese/Korean type of ships in their invasion. It didn't help that most of the ships they used were river vessels. Which were unsuited to ocean crossing, especially in bad weather. Research shows that the construction of the ships were hurried using low quality timber, and the already subjugated Koreans might have intentionally sabotaged the ships. It was also the reluctance of the Chinese navy to fight for their new leader, Kublai Khan.

Sizable forces did make landfall and had good success against the Japanese but they had supply issues and pretty much none of the siege machines made it across. Plus the mountainous terrain wasn't very suitable for the Mongol style of warfare so they gave up. They would have made a third attempt and may have been more successful at it but Kublai died.

considering they got Benedict Wong to reprise his role for this game from Marco Polo.

It's actually Patrick Gallagher. This article on the Playstation blog lists the two actors shown at the bottom of the article.

I have a bit of a fear that the combat will just be cloning AC/Shadow of Mordor combat.

Yeah, the Mongols weren't very adept at sea combat. That's another factor which I forgot to mention. It makes sense that the Mongols relied on Chinese and Koreans for sea combat, rather than Mongols who are used to ground combat. However, Chinese ships were quite advanced for the era, so it's surprising the ships were of poor quality. Maybe sabotage by subjugated Chinese and Koreans could have been a factor behind the poor quality of the ships, which got shipwrecked both times they invaded Japan. Either way, the Mongol invasion of Japan was a disaster. The sea that separated Japan from Asia helped keep Japan safe from Mongol conquest.

I think InFamous: Second Son would be a better indicator of what to expect from Sucker Punch in terms of combat.