GeOW2>>>R2 at gamerankings is a thorougly flawed and invalid argument.

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thinker_reborn
Member since 2008 • 676 Posts

Resistance 2 average 88% at gamerankings based on 47 media outlets.

Gears of war 2 average 94% at gamerankings based on 64 media outlets.

Ah so notice the incredible flaw in this whole analogy?Gears 2 has 40% more reviews than R2.Whether having more reviews is an advantage or disadvantage is irrelavent.Fact is that with that much disparity in the no. of reviews,it is simply illogical to directly compare the 2 averages and then declare the winner.

Going deeper in the reviews,it seems like using gamerankings for comparing games in general is just pointless.Let's see the no. of review outlets for gears that are instantly recognisable as biased.

X360 Magazine UK

Planet Xbox 360

TeamXbox

Official Xbox Magazine

XboxZone

Xbox Addict

MS Xbox World

Talk Xbox

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK

Xbox World Australia

Official Xbox Magazine UK

Totally360

So ya 12 reviews out of the 64 comprise of these sites/magazines.:|

Now lets look at R2 reviews.

PSX Extreme

Playstation Offcial Magazine UK

Playstation Offcial Magazine AU

PSM3 Magazine UK

So ya only 4 for R2.

So ya lemmings,gears 2 is not better in your "real world" as you think it is cuz gamerankings is no real world.

The only thing gears 2 tops R2 is sales and you can say gears 2 is more popular all you want but to say that it has been percieved as better by the overall media is laughable and just grasping for staws.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yep, and that's exactly why we use Gamespot here. Both games got the same score, hence no-one got owned. Which was an anti-climax to be honest.
Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ren_eko
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts
Nobody cares , except fanboys, we all have opinions and its not because of GameRankings we are going to change them : P.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Whine whine. Mr. Bear does not care for your semantics, R2 doesn't have the same amount of reviews as Gears 2, sure, but Mr. Bear knows that the better game was obviously more popular enough to be reviewed quickly. :D No but really, what does it matter if Xbox dedicated sites and PS dedicated sites are reviewing said popular games for each system? Nothing. Not all sites are biased just because they dedicate their resources to one system.
Theverydeepend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theverydeepend
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts

Yep, and that's exactly why we use Gamespot here. Both games got the same score, hence no-one got owned. Which was an anti-climax to be honest.Floppy_Jim

Its shocking that no matter what forum post I read, I always tend to agree with Floppy_Jim.

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thinker_reborn

Whine whine. Mr. Bear does not care for your semantics, R2 doesn't have the same amount of reviews as Gears 2, sure, but Mr. Bear knows that the better game was obviously more popular enough to be reviewed quickly. :D No but really, what does it matter if Xbox dedicated sites and PS dedicated sites are reviewing said popular games for each system? Nothing. Not all sites are biased just because they dedicate their resources to one system. yoshi_64
When we are talking quality of a game and review scores then popularity can get a ****.

And ya not all of them are biased but most of them are especially when it comes to major titles.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Sure, but more reviews could also lower the score. Remove those sites you said and it'll still have a higher score.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
So you really think those few critics account for the what, 6% difference between the two games? Nice excuse and damage control. Plus, Gears has MORE reviews so its harder to sustain a higher average. Why don't you come back when both games are actually near each other in # of reviews, otherwise quit crying.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
point of this thread?...
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts

Ah so notice the incredible flaw in this whole analogy?Gears 2 has 40% more reviews than R2.Whether having more reviews is an advantage or disadvantage is irrelavent.Fact is that with that much disparity in the no. of reviews,it is simply illogical to directly compare the 2 averages and then declare the winner.

Going deeper in the reviews,it seems like using gamerankings for comparing games in general is just pointless.Let's see the no. of review outlets for gears that are instantly recognisable as biased.

X360 Magazine UK

Planet Xbox 360

TeamXbox

Official Xbox Magazine

XboxZone

Xbox Addict

MS Xbox World

Talk Xbox

Xbox World Australia

Totally360

PSX Extreme

PSM3 Magazine UK

So ya only 4 for R2.

So ya lemmings,gears 2 is not better in your "real world" as you think it is cuz gamerankings is no real world.

The only thing gears 2 tops R2 is sales and you can say gears 2 is more popular all you want but to say that it has been percieved as better by the overall media is laughable and just grasping for staws.

Thinker_reborn
You do realize that 5 of those 12 XBOX only sources rated GEOW2 below the average, while 3/4 of those PS sources rated R2 above the average, right? I'm not great at math, but... What do you think that means about who is having its bread buttered more by fan sites?
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
More reviews LOWER the score:?
Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thinker_reborn
point of this thread?...yoyo462001
That comparing gears 2 and R2 using their gamerankings score is invalid.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hopesfall2own
More reviews LOWER the score:?FirstDiscovery
Hey thats what I said, just more drawn out :D
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"]point of this thread?...Thinker_reborn

No its not, with Gamerankings, high scoring games ALWAYS go DOWN over time
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

More reviews LOWER the score:?FirstDiscovery

LOL. Beat me to it. More scores increase the chances of it skewing lower. It seems like the Gamerankings argument isn't the only one that's flawed.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
It is well known that the larger a queried population is the more reliable a statistic is.
Nisim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nisim19
Member since 2008 • 1002 Posts

if it have more reviews the score in most times gos down R2 have 17 reviews that give it AA and 1 review that give it A and anther that give it 6 gears 2 got only 2 reviews that give AA and all the rest give it AAA or AAAA so yes in the real world gears 2 is better then R2 and also MGS4

BETTER REVIEWS & BETTER SALES = WIN

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thinker_reborn

So you really think those few critics account for the what, 6% difference between the two games? Nice excuse and damage control. Plus, Gears has MORE reviews so its harder to sustain a higher average. Why don't you come back when both games are actually near each other in # of reviews, otherwise quit crying.hopesfall2own
Gears 2 has more xbox dedicated reviews than R2 has playstation dedicated.But regardless it doesnt matter as I said in the OP whether it is an advantage having more reviews or not cuz it is just invalid to compare the two with that much difference in the no. of reviews.

And what are you telling me?Tell those lems who constantly use gears GR average for ownage.:|

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yoyo462001
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"]point of this thread?...Thinker_reborn

thats just being extremely specific, i guess we cant compare the GS review of R2 and Gears2 because the reviewer was not the same, the exact amount of hours played for both was not the same..etc.
Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ren_eko
[QUOTE="Nisim19"]if it have more reviews the score in most times gos down R2 have 17 reviews that give it AA and 1 review that give it A and anther that give it 6 gears 2 got only 2 reviews that give AA and all the rest give it AAA or AAAA so yes in the real world gears 2 is better then R2 and also MGS4

No
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]More reviews LOWER the score:?heretrix

LOL. Beat me to it. More scores increase the chances of it skewing lower. It seems like the Gamerankings argument isn't the only one that's flawed.

Damn, you both beat me to it. I'd like to add, I work for Talk Xbox (one of the sites listed in the TC's post) and I can guarantee that we weren't paid off for that review either. We have no reason to be biased towards Xbox 360 games (ie giving them inflated scores) even though we review them exclusively because we don't receive kickbacks from publishers.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BumFluff122
Pertaining to one of the posts above, I am curious why someone would list websites that exclusively rate 360 games as being biased. Every site you listed were xbox only websites. You're argument is far more flawed than what you are arguing for.
Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Thinker_reborn

[QUOTE="Thinker_reborn"][QUOTE="yoyo462001"]point of this thread?...yoyo462001

thats just being extremely specific, i guess we cant compare the GS review of R2 and Gears2 because the reviewer was not the same, the exact amount of hours played for both was not the same..etc.

Yes gamespot scores were never considered fact were they?

Beisdes the no. of hours played is what?Both games have different lenghts.:|

And even though the reviewer was not the same,both were reviewed under the same reviewing system and numerical standard.

Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
I wonder, why does Gamerankings use so many Xbox sites? Doesn't really seem fair.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yoyo462001

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="Thinker_reborn"]That comparing gears 2 and R2 using their gamerankings score is invalid.Thinker_reborn

Yes gamespot scores were never considered fact were they?

Beisdes the no. of hours played is what?Both games have different lenghts.:|

And even though the reviewer was not the same,both were reviewed under the same reviewing system and numerical standard.

your argument is that we cant compare them because there is a difference in number of reviews i.e. you want all variables fixed, like ive pointed out thats not possible. saying we cant compare them because of the number of reviews is different is like saying we cant compare them because they were reviewed by different people (a review scheme is not 100% perfect so can also be scrutinized).
MrSlippery39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 MrSlippery39
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="Thinker_reborn"]

X360 Magazine UK

Planet Xbox 360

TeamXbox

Official Xbox Magazine

XboxZone

Xbox Addict

MS Xbox World

Talk Xbox

Xbox World Australia

Totally360

PSX Extreme

PSM3 Magazine UK

So ya only 4 for R2.

Shafftehr

You do realize that 5 of those 12 XBOX only sources rated GEOW2 below the average, while 3/4 of those PS sources rated R2 above the average, right? I'm not great at math, but... What do you think that means about who is having its bread buttered more by fan sites?

owned.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BumFluff122
I wonder, why does Gamerankings use so many Xbox sites? Doesn't really seem fair.metalgear-solid
Xbox sites review XBox games specifically while PS3 sites review PS3 games specifically. They don't review any of the opposing consoles games to be baised against. They don't get paid by MS or Sony to sell their games through advertisements as much as people like to believe they do. I'm surprised this keeps being brought up. As I posted in another post; the more reviews a game has and the largter the queried population for a game review is the more averaged it will be.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#30 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

:lol:

I remember when cows would use GameRankings to defend their games! :lol:

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Sure, but more reviews could also lower the score. Remove those sites you said and it'll still have a higher score.EuroMafia

^this^

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

Sure, but more reviews could also lower the score. Remove those sites you said and it'll still have a higher score.EuroMafia

Let's see...

(without weighting, as I don't know how Gamerankings does their ranking)

GeoW 2: 91.849

Resistance 2: 85.558

EDIT: I realized I made a small averaging error when calculating GeoW 2's average. It should be 93.55 rather than 91.849; I was off by one in terms of the number of reviews when I divided the sum.

ledzeppelin667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ledzeppelin667
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts
More reviews simply makes the score more accurate because it balances out the high and low error. It's called the law of large numbers, both 60 and 40 reviews respectively are good enough to give the games accurate scores, and the 20 extra reviews makes very little difference in this case as both games have enough reviews to make them accurate (r2's score is really only +/- 0.5% less accurate at the most). Even if some games have more reviews than others it is still a far better comparison than simply relying on a single review where we have seen games off by as much as +/- 10% where they should be
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
your right, it is extremely flawed and pointless. Besides, everyone knows Gears of War 2 is clearly the better game. At least we can all agree about that.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

More reviews simply makes the score more accurate because it balances out the high and low error. It's called the law of large numbers, both 60 and 40 reviews respectively are good enough to give the games accurate scores, and the 20 extra reviews makes very little difference in this case as both games have enough reviews to make them accurate (r2's score is really only +/- 0.5% less accurate at the most). Even if some games have more reviews than others it is still a far better comparison than simply relying on a single review where we have seen games off by as much as +/- 10% where they should be ledzeppelin667

That dosn't apply here. The fact is, the lower the number of sources the less saturised the average becomes with data from poor sources. If there are say only 10 sources, then atleast 5 of thosse sources should be reliable, because they will usually be the ones that are forced to review large numbers of games (Sites like Gamespot, Eurogamer, 1UP, Gametrailers and IGN). The larger the list becomes the more likely you are to see biast or weak sources effect the score one way or another. The law of large numbers can only work presuming all sources are of relatively equal reliability, and with critics on the internet, that is not the case.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WasntAvailable

your right, it is extremely flawed and pointless. Besides, everyone knows Gears of War 2 is clearly the better game. At least we can all agree about that.diped

I don't agree, and neither does Gamespot.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Game21x

[QUOTE="diped"]your right, it is extremely flawed and pointless. Besides, everyone knows Gears of War 2 is clearly the better game. At least we can all agree about that.WasntAvailable

Halo 2 received a 9.4 and Half Life 2 received a 9.2. Which do you think is better?
Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Thinker_reborn
[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="diped"]your right, it is extremely flawed and pointless. Besides, everyone knows Gears of War 2 is clearly the better game. At least we can all agree about that.The_Game21x

Halo 2 received a 9.4 and Half Life 2 received a 9.2. Which do you think is better?

PC has higher standards.

PS3/360 have pretty much the same.

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Thinker_reborn

[QUOTE="ledzeppelin667"]More reviews simply makes the score more accurate because it balances out the high and low error. It's called the law of large numbers, both 60 and 40 reviews respectively are good enough to give the games accurate scores, and the 20 extra reviews makes very little difference in this case as both games have enough reviews to make them accurate (r2's score is really only +/- 0.5% less accurate at the most). Even if some games have more reviews than others it is still a far better comparison than simply relying on a single review where we have seen games off by as much as +/- 10% where they should be WasntAvailable

That dosn't apply here. The fact is, the lower the number of sources the less saturised the average becomes with data from poor sources. If there are say only 10 sources, then atleast 5 of thosse sources should be reliable, because they will usually be the ones that are forced to review large numbers of games (Sites like Gamespot, Eurogamer, 1UP, Gametrailers and IGN). The larger the list becomes the more likely you are to see biast or weak sources effect the score one way or another. The law of large numbers can only work presuming all sources are of relatively equal reliability, and with critics on the internet, that is not the case.

Well said.That's why I said that it's irrelavent whether it's an advantage or disadvantage having more reviews as it can be argued to no end from either side.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WasntAvailable
[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

[QUOTE="diped"]your right, it is extremely flawed and pointless. Besides, everyone knows Gears of War 2 is clearly the better game. At least we can all agree about that.The_Game21x

Are you trying to question Gamespot's reliability? I have never played Halo 2, so I wouldn't know.

Besides, even though reviews are simply opinions, on the gamespot forums a review from gamespot carries far more weight than any other opinion, and that's just the way it is. So because of that, not everyone agrees that GeoW 2 is better than R2, just as not everyone agrees that HL2 is better than Halo 2.

Thinker_reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Thinker_reborn
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"][QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

WasntAvailable

Are you trying to question Gamespot's reliability? I have never played Halo 2, so I wouldn't know.

Besides, even though reviews are simply opinions, on the gamespot forums a review from gamespot carries far more weight than any other opinion, and that's just the way it is. So because of that, not everyone agrees that GeoW 2 is better than R2, just as not everyone agrees that HL2 is better than Halo 2.

Actually gamespot agrees that HL2 is better than halo 2 as it won FPS GOTY the same year as halo 2 was released.

What he was refering to was that gamespot scores even for them arent to be taken literally but the thing is that PC has higher standards than the xbox but 360 doesnt have higher standards than PS3.

kerpal_cz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kerpal_cz
Member since 2008 • 196 Posts

You do realize that 5 of those 12 XBOX only sources rated GEOW2 below the average, while 3/4 of those PS sources rated R2 above the average, right? I'm not great at math, but... What do you think that means about who is having its bread buttered more by fan sites?Shafftehr

Owned

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Game21x

WasntAvailable

I'm not questioning GameSpot's reliability and it's not an issue of standards. It's just an issue of the current scoring system (perhaps I should've used a better example). I'm not arguing for or against either of the titles in this debate, all I'm saying is that one could be better than the other but with the .5 grading system in place, perhaps the one game that is better was not so much better that it was deserving of that extra half point.
ledzeppelin667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ledzeppelin667
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts

WasntAvailable

It works perfectly actually, it's the same as a science experiment where some data is less reliable but multiple trials ensures that it is balanced out. Reviewing games is naturally based a large amount on opinion so it is difficult if not impossible to be reliable at all on every game, so the only solution is to take a large number of reviews to get everyones opinion on a game, even good games have people that naturally don't like the game and it is neccessary to include them in the score or it will become overstated. This is shown beautifly at IMDB where thousands of viewer rankings taken over a long amount of time give a very accurate score despite more than a few people giving movies 10's or 0's for no good reason. taking just a few well known sites you could end up with a hyped game that meets expectaions getting a 10 average however realistically there is no such thing as a 10 because there is always a way to improve games, so including the less mainsteam review opinion can actually give the game a better score since they might be more inclined to review games fairly while ignoring the hype it recieves.

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hopesfall2own

Thinker_reborn

PC has higher standards.

PS3/360 have pretty much the same.

Why all the sudden do hermits keep bringing this up? :roll:
Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
The thing is the more reviews you have the more chance the score will be lower over all.
Ren_eko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ren_eko
Metacritic-- MGS4--94 with 80 reviews Gears2--93 with 74 reviews Does this mean MGS4 is better than Gears?Just because of a score?Grow some opinions people. PS-I do think MGS4 is waaaay better than Gears2
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

The thing is the more reviews you have the more chance the score will be lower over all.Duckyindiana

Say that to the people on the first page.

RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts
[QUOTE="Thinker_reborn"]

X360 Magazine UK

Planet Xbox 360

TeamXbox

Official Xbox Magazine

XboxZone

Xbox Addict

MS Xbox World

Talk Xbox

Xbox World Australia

Totally360

PSX Extreme

PSM3 Magazine UK

So ya only 4 for R2.

Shafftehr

Thinker_reborn = Owned
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"]More reviews LOWER the score:?heretrix

That argument makes no sense. There's also a chance of having a higher percentage with more reviews. There's no way to tell how it would be different with more reviews.