Gears 4 was bad, but after playing Gears 5, I just don't get the hype.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Now i'm not saying that GEOW 5 was a bad game. In fact I felt it was better then GEOW 4, but I honestly think that the franchise just needs to die and this is coming from a huge fan of GEOW 1 and 2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

You're right. The Coalition was actually working on a new IP before Microsoft turned them into a Gears factory.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Playing 5 now, and while I think it's good, as was 4 and the rest, they are getting stale.

Same as Assassin's Creed Odyssey for me: they're ok games but we've all been there and done that.

It's the same problem with most AAA games this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

That's probably because you just have poor taste.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

A known MS hater doesn't like MS game, more news at 11.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Gears is a franchise that ruined third person shooters by introducing regen health and cover system. so OP is correct. it does suck.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

Gears is a franchise that ruined third person shooters by introducing regen health and cover system. so OP is correct. it does suck.

Hermit agrees with cow more news at 12.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daredevils2k

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

I find it funny that you always say I'm a cow because I prefer Sony games over XB1 games when it comes to consoles, but yet I have a 16 core cpu and a system that could outrun your precious little xb1x and the upcoming xb. I never said that GEOW 5 isn't a bad game, but it does get stale pretty fast and I just feel that GEOW franchise needs a revamp, just like God of War needed before the latest god of war game out .

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Played Gears 5 and it was pretty fun. For about 3 hours. Then I wondered why I was playing basically Gears 1 again with shinier graphics and stopped.

Game felt stale fast.

Sea of Thieves, that game everyone hates on, is the best shit MS has squeezed out in a long ass time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

I don't get the hype with Gears as a whole. Gears was always mediocre to me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Nah. I enjoyed both Gears 4 and 5 and would very much like to see the franchise continue myself. Viva la Gears!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

You realized it just now? So it took you ~14 years and 5-6 games. Better late than never I guess.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Gears 4 was shit. Gears 5 was great. I enjoyed that game a great deal. The formula’s definitely gotten stale but sometimes you just wanna play some gears.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I agree gears 4 was a let down but 5 was very good and a massive improvement. The story was also a lot better still think 3 was my favourite in the series but 5 a return to form.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I never understood the love for Gears. The tank controls and sucking into walls and enemy chainsaws from 15 feet away was not a good mechanic. Just my opinion though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@pdogg93 said:

Gears 4 was shit. Gears 5 was great. I enjoyed that game a great deal. The formula’s definitely gotten stale but sometimes you just wanna play some gears.

This why there are games for everyone.(a good thing) I would have killed Gears a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Gears 3 PVE was the best ever done in a game. Four player campaign was sick and the graphics are still some of the best to this day.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

They are both forgettable games with almost identical multiplayer offerings. However, I feel 4 is better than 5.

Gears problem is that it hasn't evolved or offered any new gameplay elements. It is still the exact same super linear cover shooter it's been since 2006. The first three games are excellent and defined the Xbox 360 as well as paved the way for future third person shooters. There is a chance the Uncharted franchise may not have turned out as high quality as it is if not for the first Gears. It's just a shame that innovation and legacy of the Gears franchise was kind of shit on this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Me neither, and I didn't even play the game yet. I'm not trying to bias, I used to play Halo and Gears games during its peak years but now these games are like washed-out celebs, desperate to re-live their glory days.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Gears 5 wasn't bad it really was just more Gears though. I didn't pay for it, got it for nothing through Game Pass. If I'd paid full price for it yeah, I'd have a lot more to say about it lol.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Gears 4 was a letdown. Overall 5 was better, but I didn't enjoy the halfassed open world segments at all. They ruined the pacing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@daredevils2k said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

I find it funny that you always say I'm a cow because I prefer Sony games over XB1 games when it comes to consoles, but yet I have a 16 core cpu and a system that could outrun your precious little xb1x and the upcoming xb. I never said that GEOW 5 isn't a bad game, but it does get stale pretty fast and I just feel that GEOW franchise needs a revamp, just like God of War needed before the latest god of war game out .

Cow hides behind their powerful PC, more news at 1.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

lol Gears 5 was the first Gears game I ever played. Got to try it free with game pass on Windows and wow... I have no bias so no reason to blindly hate on Gears. I was excited, expecting to play a great game. But lmao is this really the franchise Xbox fanboys hyped so much back in the day? It felt like a game straight out of 2004 or something. Not impressed at all. If anything, hugely disappointed. The gameplay is sooo dated. Graphics were murky, ugly, and low-res even on high settings in 1440. You can't even jump over walls and ledges, maps were trash as well and promoted camping lmao. Idk man... would've felt acceptable in the 2000's but as a multiplayer shooter that s*** looks and feels dated by todays standards.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

Playing 5 now, and while I think it's good, as was 4 and the rest, they are getting stale.

Same as Assassin's Creed Odyssey for me: they're ok games but we've all been there and done that.

Assassin's Creed? Hell no. AC has changed a shitload since Origins. It's true Odyssey was just an updated version of Origins as far as combat goes, but the whole series has changed big time.

Gears 5 is basically the same as Gears 1 in almost every aspect, except graphics and a couple of gameplay gimmicks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@briguyb13 said:

Assassin's Creed? Hell no. AC has changed a shitload since Origins. It's true Odyssey was just an updated version of Origins as far as combat goes, but the whole series has changed big time.

Gears 5 is basically the same as Gears 1 in almost every aspect, except graphics and a couple of gameplay gimmicks.

Origins and Odyssey are much better AC games than the old formula, outside of BF that is. Best improvement they made in the series was implementing non-linear mission structure.

It's funny how Ubi changed their games from linear missions to non, while the new Rockstar games like RDR 2 have very linear missions compared to the old GTA games where one could complete missions in a large variety of ways.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

It's not a bad series, but like most video game franchises these days, it should have ended earlier than it did. In Gears' case, they probably should have ended it after Gears 3. Maybe a prequel would have been welcome, but that's it.

Also just my two cents but the Locust Horde is a very underwhelming foe. Roided out human grunts battling against roided out mutant grunts is...I don't know, it almost cancels it out when the good guys and bad guys are essentially the same archetype.

I am, however, looking forward to the turn-based tactics game that is coming out.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Both 4 and 5 suck imo. I was just about to give up the franchise until I saw Gears Tactics. That game gives me a little hope.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Most wall-cover games are suck.

It's a boring mechanic.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I enjoyed Gears 4 & 5, but I think 5 is definitely the better game. But there were some things in it I didn't like at all, especially the semi-open world parts with that wind sail contraption. Just felt like filler.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Played all the gears but couldn't stick with any for more than an hr or 2. Just not my jam. Halo is another one I just couldn't stomach after the 2nd game. And these are some of the few games that MS keeps pumping out endlessly....surprisingly...on the flip side... despite racers being one of my least favorite genres, Forza has been more and more enjoyable with every release. Hopefully they give these ips a bit of a rest and focus on fresh new ideas. I long for the days of the OG XBox when they had a diverse library to choose from. The OG is one of my fave consoles to date. <3

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

If you think gears 4 is bad than maybe you have bad taste.

Phenomenal game

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Love both, Horde modes are reason enough for me to keep coming back, either being among the best in the series. I like Gears 4's Horde mode better in most respects, Gears 5's would be better if they moved away from the hero specific design, instead do what Gears 4 did with evolving the classes. Also liked Gears 4 campaign more because of pacing, not a fan of having to hunt down component upgrades each playthrough in Gears 5, it kills my desire to replay it, and multiplayer progress is really slow in Gears 5, more of a grind than Gears 4 was.

Anyhow, series is far from needing to die. I can see why one might not feel satisfied with it if they only played the campaign once and called it quits, especially if one robs themselves of the satisfaction of completing an insane playthrough. Give Horde a shot for either Gears 4 and 5, the co-op isn't as oppressive as the competitive MP can be for casual players.

Gears 2 was among my favorites but it wasn't for the campaign, it was for countless hours staying up late doing nail-biting intense Horde co-op with my friends.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@daredevils2k said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

credibility, absolute fucking zero. lemme flex my 16 core 32 thread cpu that no games fully utilize. rofl waffles and a half.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By daredevils2k

@dxmcat said:
@daredevils2k said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:

credibility, absolute fucking zero. lemme flex my 16 core 32 thread cpu that no games fully utilize. rofl waffles and a half.

aww sounds like someone is sad, because the field I work in, requires me to have many cores for rendering. Did you know that people actually have computers for work reasons and not just for gaming?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@daredevils2k said:
@dxmcat said:
@daredevils2k said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:

aww sounds like someone is sad, because the field I work in, requires me to have many cores for rendering. Did you know that people actually have computers for work reasons and not just for gaming?

the biggest bullshit of amd supporters. Hi i play games, oh wait, I suddenly render shit too. Nah you don't you just play games, which my 5 year old intel is still better at. Not sad, just realistic. sad to see people play into marketing. I also afford my way of life off my computer, and it still does great.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 daredevils2k

@dxmcat said:
@daredevils2k said:
@dxmcat said:
@daredevils2k said:
@i_p_daily said:

the biggest bullshit of amd supporters. Hi i play games, oh wait, I suddenly render shit too. Nah you don't you just play games, which my 5 year old intel is still better at. Not sad, just realistic. sad to see people play into marketing. I also afford my way of life off my computer, and it still does great.

awww sounds like someone is jealous. do you honestly think i would spend 2k on a processor just to play games?? you must be an id...... sorry but if you know anything about 3d rendering and animation , then you would you know that a workstation is required for task as 3d rendering, but oh well. Cheers

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Never liked art style of Gears which prevented me from playing the previous games. Tried Gears 5. Had its moments but didn't really like it that much. If rest of the games are anything like it then I'd say it's above average franchise. Fans know better, since I haven't played other 4 games so can't give a solid opinion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#41 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@briguyb13 said:

Agree. Origins brought me back into the franchise. Stopped bothering after Black Flag. Odyssey was really good. Took cues from Witcher 3 and had PC centric UI, manual saves, controls, FOV etc. Yes it did get a bit grindy towards the end but it was optional so I stopped clearing some of the remote regions and went straight for the main plot as character was already pretty powerful. Kassandra was cool protagonist. Looking forward to the next Vikings based AC. Here's hoping they'll tie loose ends and won't turn it into a cash cow because I am not getting more of these games after the next one so they better not give us a cliff hanger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Do you guys not know you can delete unwanted quotes in the chain before you post?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pedro

@briguyb13 said:

Do you guys not know you can delete unwanted quotes in the chain before you post?

Nope. :| Despite being here for so freaking long.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I just don't find myself caring about the characters or the world much.

But the gameplay was fine.