Gamespot was right (MGS5 microtransactions)

• 140 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Gamespot had initially complained about the microtransaction pricing for the single player campaignof Metal gear Solid V; Konami had called Gamespot out and pointed out that Gamespot had been raising a ruckus for nothing.

Well, now the game is out, and we can all see, Gamespot was right.

According to the official MGSV guide, 'You must be online to build FOBs. Your first FOB is free of charge.

Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, acquired through microtransactions with real-life money.'

Online? Well, so this doesn't affect the single player mode, right?

Nope, it actually does affect single player as well.

FOBs let you earn resources for use in SP as well as dictate how many missions you can dispatch soldiers to, 1 FOB=2 active missions at once.

FOBs also help you bypass what is often dozens of hours of grinding near the endgame- from what I gather, to access the true ending, you need to have your Mother Base maxed out, and you can't do that either without dozens of hours of grinding, orpaying real world money.

So... **** Konami.

NeoGAF

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Even if this wasn't the case, £50 for a game, with IOS style microtransactions is just taking the piss. It seems the entire point of this generation has been to aggressively push for it.

That gamespot review of an unfinished product, in a deliberately PR controlled state was ridiculous.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Srsly F U C K KONAMI

brb ruining what could be the best game of the gen.

...grinding it this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@uninspiredcup: This is the sort of thing that will stick with people in regards to the game's perception in the long run. Yes, it may have gotten 10/10s, but the brand is tainted, and this stunt will be at the forefront of everybody's minds when the awards season comes around.

'GotY' my ass.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@uninspiredcup: This is the sort of thing that will stick with people in regards to the game's perception in the long run. Yes, it may have gotten 10/10s, but the brand is tainted, and this stunt will be at the forefront of everybody's minds when the awards season comes around.

'GotY' my ass.

this is some bad shit dude. Witcher 3 is still GOTY in my book then

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@cainetao11: You'd think that given the success of consumer friendly games like Witcher 3, Splatoon, or Bloodborne, and the failure of exploitative games like Unity or Arkham Knight, more and more publishers would realize that exploitative practices like these don't go down well with the market anymore, but no... we get shit like this. It is positively worse than the kind of nonsense Destiny tried to pull.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I expected this from Konami. They won't get a bloody cent from me besides the price of the game itself. Microtransactions are for the rich. I understand not everyone has time to get the coins through playing but if that's the case, why do you have a GAME console in the first place?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

consumer friendly games like Splatoon

smh

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Welp, that saves me $60 I was planning on spending tomorrow. I'll buy it used eventually. But I still have no doubt that it will get numerous GotY awards, such is the unwarranted diefication of anything Kojima.

Hooray for honest reviews!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

Welp, that saves me $60 I was planning on spending tomorrow. I'll buy it used eventually. But I still have no doubt that it will get numerous GotY awards, such is the unwarranted diefication of anything Kojima.

Hooray for honest reviews!

In any other year, I would have agreed with you, but this year, given that we already have excellent games like Witcher 3, Bloodborne, as well as the upcoming Fallout 4, I highly doubt Phantom Pain will manage to eke out a win, especially with things like this holding it back.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

If this was an Xbox exclusive, Gamespot would have gave it a 7/10 for this bullshit. Probably to a freelance writer too. But by all means........call it a 10/10 masterpiece.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If this was an Xbox exclusive, Gamespot would have gave it a 7/10 for this bullshit. Probably to a freelance writer too. But by all means........call it a 10/10 masterpiece.

Please, Gamespot gave Forza 5, an Xbox exclusive, a 9/10, and that is perhaps the most egregious example of microtransactions in a retail AAA game that we have had yet.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Glad I never pre-ordered like I was gonna. Probably half a fucking movie anyway.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I can do the grind if the grind is fun. This isn't a surprise to me, because this is Konami we're talking about here. All the same I can see why this may sour the experience for some.

There's still a great fucking game to be played though, and I intend on playing it without coughing up extra cash.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Devs/pubs who charge full price for a game and then have micro transactions suck. It would be too much to ask that no one buy the game and send a message so this will continue.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Oh well, I'm fine with grinding.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Gamespot had initially complained about the microtransaction pricing for the single player campaignof Metal gear Solid V; Konami had called Gamespot out and pointed out that Gamespot had been raising a ruckus for nothing.

According to the official MGSV guide, 'You must be online to build FOBs. Your first FOB is free of charge.

Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, acquired through microtransactions with real-life money.'

FOBs let you earn resources for use in SP as well as dictate how many missions you can dispatch soldiers to, 1 FOB=2 active missions at once.

FOBs also help you bypass what is often dozens of hours of grinding near the endgame- from what I gather, to access the true ending, you need to have your Mother Base maxed out, and you can't do that either without dozens of hours of grinding, orpaying real world money.

So... **** Konami.

NeoGAF

PC appears not to have those microstransaction. There appears not to have a single complaints about that in the community forum and in the reviews.

I hope it stays that way.

The negatives I've read were about the incompatibilities and the crashes (bugs?) some users have.

Also, I can't confirm it myself. I'll probably finish downloading the game within 2 days 'cause I'm downloading it at ~100KB/s.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

How the **** did this get a 10 again?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:
@charizard1605 said:

So... **** Konami.

NeoGAF

PC appears not to have those microstransaction. There appears not to have a single complaints about that in the community forum and in the reviews.

I hope it stays that way.

The negatives I've read were about the incompatibilities and the crashes (bugs?) some users have.

Also, I can't confirm it myself. I'll probably finish downloading the game within 2 days 'cause I'm downloading it at ~100KB/s.

PC does have microtransactions

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Even if this wasn't the case, £50 for a game, with IOS style microtransactions is just taking the piss. It seems the entire point of this generation has been to aggressively push for it.

That gamespot review of an unfinished product, in a deliberately PR controlled state was ridiculous.

Yep, and GS gave the game a 10 regardless of its Fee To Pay nature.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

So... **** Konami.

NeoGAF

How the fu** gamespot rated this shit 10 man...

I freaking hate reviewers,man if you know something is up,hold that freaking review of the game until you get the damn final code,in this case like many others where reviewers test a game on a controllable small environment and then the games is totally fu** up with many users,this is a huge screw up basically pay to get the final ending,i fu**ing hate this pass 2 generations of greedy ass publishers and developers.

What happen to the old days when you can had a fighting game with 50 characters and different colors with no extra dipping,when you just unlock all the content that was hidden.

The more we go forward the more i hate gaming it has turn now more than ever into a well oiled machine with the only purpose of ripping people off..

Now a game comes out and the season pass and DLC was announce before the freaking game is even out,is pathetic and abusive,Konami just make real easy that i skip this game they can shove it.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Konami can go to hell. I got the game, the first 2 acts (intro and first mission) are amazing, but shit like this is disgusting. I refuse to pay for it and will just resort to Youtube and the like if I must.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

**** you Konami. this will hurt MGSV chances of winning GOTY too.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

So true. Gamespot reviews are kinda a joke.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

You can be indignant all you want at what you perceive to be an "anti-consumer" business practice, but in the end, can you really blame them? If enough consumers are willing to pay for them, of course Konami is going to add them. Otherwise, you're asking a company to voluntarily choose to make less money.

It will only stop if public outrage is strong enough that the inclusion of microtransactions (to the extent seen in this game) decreases total sales to the point that it overshadows the profits from those microtransactions. I plan on buying the game, but won't be spending a cent on any microtransaction, but I don't mind "grinding" in games (I played WoW for over a year after all).

Marketing/PR is walking a tight rope between earning every cent possible out of the public's purse while still maintaining the illusion of sincere interest in the well-being of that public. Take as much of their money as possible without permanently pissing them off. Maybe this level of microtransactions will push it over the edge?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

I've come to expect a rotten product with dlc/micro/online in regards to mgs.

It sucks that my dlc code isn't working at the moment. :(

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

And the pathetic nerds and corporate slaves were defending this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

**** Konami in a way sure...

But **** outlets that let themselves be subjected to shit like review events.

They gotta question if they want to inform readers and customers in a neutral way or if they want to get wined and dined by publishers.

I think it's their duty most of all to INFORM people about stuff like this. And then it's OUR choice to support it or not.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Forward Operating Bases don't change the game drastically though. From an ethical standpoint it's absolutely shitty (read: a Konami thing to do) but considering you get your first FOB free Konami easily could have just given out the first free one and not had the other ones at all. That wouldn't have changed the game significantly at all and for that reason I don't think this will stick to many people's minds at the end of the year.

F2P elements are completely asinine in a full priced game but let's not act like this compromises the game in any meaningful way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

**** that I'm grinding that shit and not going to pay a dime.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@cainetao11: You'd think that given the success of consumer friendly games like Witcher 3, Splatoon, or Bloodborne, and the failure of exploitative games like Unity or Arkham Knight, more and more publishers would realize that exploitative practices like these don't go down well with the market anymore, but no... we get shit like this. It is positively worse than the kind of nonsense Destiny tried to pull.

We don't have numbers to know that. We live in a world where Game of War makes millions on microtransactions. Companies only continue to do it because it's working. Someone out there is paying. If anything they are probably laughing at the free models missing out loads of cash to please a tiny vocal internet audience.

And Destiny has been extremely successful and profitable. This is only the beginning. Hold onto your Wii U's because it will be the last true pure gaming console we ever see on the market again.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Boot camp preview event didn't reveal this aspect of the game. Geesh.

My worry is this "true ending" nonsense. Mother base was the most MEH part of peace walker. At least the war table in dragon age inquisition was timed with no pay to speed it up option. (But good god they could have easily put it in there. In fact I bet at one point it was before they removed it.)

You know what, let me take one minute to rant about that war table. If they aren't charging to speed up time why do some of those missions have almost a two hour wait time? Holy bejesus wtf. That element has microtransaction written all over it and by some grace of satan it was removed from the final game and placed only into the multiplayer component.

I hate gaming today. And the more I hate gaming today the more I love Nintendo and my Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

**** I just brought the game. If I knew I would have never brought it

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#34 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

At least I save some money this way. No need paying full price for a game like this when I can wait a year and pick it up for 10-20 bucks. Thanks Konami.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Pretty lame, but I will definitely purchase it when I get to the game. I'm playing through the series for the first time right now and this one looks too great to pass up.

I don't have intentions of purchasing any in-game content though. I don't recall ever doing so for any game.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

Pretty lame, but I will definitely purchase it when I get to the game. I'm playing through the series for the first time right now and this one looks too great to pass up.

I don't have intentions of purchasing any in-game content though. I don't recall ever doing so for any game.

I'm confident this wont affect the game in any meaningful way. Just people trying to find ways to discredit a fantastic game because they can't get over Kojima getting fired.

getupandboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 getupandboogie
Member since 2013 • 93 Posts

ugh... this is why I never bothered with FIFA properly. I, like many others, have bought the game... really really wish i hadnt now. Not meaning to be making a stand, but I just dont like paying for something which in turn tries to make me pay for what i should get originally. Personal preference though. Some people might see its worthwhile.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Dislike micro-transactions... but still gave it a perfect 10/10. Hmmmmmmm. any other game would have been docked for MT.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#39 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

As long as people are supporting this shit. It'll never get better. It's sad that Half product is given a full score these days.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

Much like some players in the baseball hall of fame, can we put a giant asterisk on this 10/10 review?

Seriously, microtransaction on a full priced game is pure bullshit in any context or reasoning. Don't care who's done it in the past, it sucked then and still sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Already knew it had microtransactions so was probably never going to buy it. If people want this stuff to end, stop buying the games. Gamers are an impatient compulsive bunch though, so good luck with that.

If I was a big MGS fan I would get it used

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

I'm sorry but I don't want to miss the last game made by Kojima that is supposedly amazing from what I heard and saw. So if to play said game means I have to support such a shitty practice (it is absolutely shitty), then so be it.

Konami can die in a fire later.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 93BlackHawk93

@Chozofication said:

That's a good advice.

PhoenixCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PhoenixCash
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Konamis review boot camp

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@Chozofication said:

That's a good advice.

Also, Redbox or Gamefly it. (probably Gamefly as you can keep it out as long as you want for the one monthly fee.)

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

WHAT??? This is so freaking lame, i knew that this game was going to have some sort of microtransactions...but i thought you could ignore this...however is it that important for the single player campaing? that's a load of crap....for the last few days my interest in this game grow a lot...but now, i don't know, i'm really disappointed.

Screw you Konami.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

lmao rekt. Konami stay beautifully trolling gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

So what exactly are FOBs?

Just from reading the OP, I take it they're like little bases you build and can order troops to do missions for you? Kind of like in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Strange how this game got a pass for this on its initial review.... I remember waiting a week for the Smash Bros review because GS had to test out all the in-game functions before a score can be given. A lil lag at login...and the reviewer docked it a point.

A perfect 10 to an unfinished game with microtransactions seems like a double standard for GS. Id imagine the rest of the game was that great.

But hiding the true ending behind a paywall for a game you already purchased is piss-poor... even by today's standards.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

Luckily I held off preordering MSG V and was going to buy it today. Good that I stumbled on GS before that happened. The price of £50 made me hesitate a bit.

I'll hate the developers that ruin the single player experience like this.