Gabe Newell says brain computer interface tech will allow video games far beyond what humans can comprehend

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Fascinating interview

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/gabe-newell-says-brain-computer-interface-tech-allow-video-games-far-beyond-human-meat-peripherals-can-comprehend

Video interview in the link.

The head of US gaming company Valve Corporation says a future is fast approaching where video games will use data from people's brain signals to adjust the experience they get — and even a future where people's minds can be adjusted by computers.

Gabe Newell spoke to 1 NEWS about the future of brain computer interfaces (BCIs) — an area he and other Valve staff have studied for several years now — and talked about how Valve is working to put BCIs to use in the gaming sector.

Newell admits some of the ideas may seem incredible, and said some of the discussions he's having around BCIs are "indistinguishable from science fiction" — but according to him, game developers would be making a mistake by not investigating BCIs within the short-term future.

To help them to do that, Newell said Valve is currently working on an open-source BCI software project, allowing developers to begin to interpret the signals being read from people's brains using hardware like modified VR (virtual reality) helmets.

"We're working on an open source project so that everybody can have high-resolution [brain signal] read technologies built into headsets, in a bunch of different modalities," Newell said.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Ah yes, I think Gabe has found the technological basis for the next Half-Life game. The next thing he wants to showcase.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Gabe is calling us from the future: New Zealand.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Judging by the gamers you see on the internet Valve would be better of developing an Anus Computer Interface.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Kind of bummed they dropped Steam Controller without a follow up iteration.

Actually a pretty fucking great pad.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

No thanks. I'm not hooking up my brain to Gabe-Tech.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

@Telekill said:

Yea, what is next, he gonna strip naked in front of our virtual eyes?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Yeah that doesn’t sound creepy and completely rife with problems at all. /sarcasm

Things are bad enough with companies trying to manipulate people into spending more money in their games already as is. I can only imagine what these same companies would do with literally having direct access into people’s brains. No thanks, I’ll pass. 😅

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I imagine Breitbart gamers will be battling identity crises...

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@lamprey263 said:

I imagine Breitbart gamers will be battling identity crises...

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@warmblur: yeah, scraping the bottom of the barrel is going to get interesting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@lamprey263 said:

@warmblur: yeah, scraping the bottom of the barrel is going to get interesting

The possibilities will be endless. I would love to be in full dive VR and be able to play old games in that mode like being Max Payne and shooting enemies in bullet time or be Tommy Vercetti and drive around Vice City. It's all a pipe dream now but we will most likely get there but I don't know if I will be still alive to see it hard to say.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Can't wait.

Hook me up when it's almost Matrix like.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah that doesn’t sound creepy and completely rife with problems at all. /sarcasm

Things are bad enough with companies trying to manipulate people into spending more money in their games already as is. I can only imagine what these same companies would do with literally having direct access into people’s brains. No thanks, I’ll pass. 😅

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Telekill said:

It's good to see a few people still have sense (talking about the people above). Like, who on earth wants to run the risk of having their brains hacked and manipulated? Haven't we learned from all of the crazy movies (both live action and animated) that this kind of tech stems from? When is enough, enough? People in power are dictating the direction we're headed in and apparently, they're not wrapped too tight. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're sane. Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you're mentally fit to lead the less fortunate. Gabe, Musk, anyone attempting to convince you to plug your brain into a computer or inject billions of nano-sized machines into your skull is NOT mentally well. They've watched waaaaaaaaaaaay too many movies, read too many comics and have an agenda that goes beyond trying to help mankind. This is some "other shit" and if you're willing to relinquish your privacy (meaning every thought in your damn head) to play a fucking video...you're a fucking idiot!

Now if you'd excuse me, I got some gaming to do :)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@louixiii said:
@Archangel3371 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Telekill said:

It's good to see a few people still have sense (talking about the people above). Like, who on earth wants to run the risk of having their brains hacked and manipulated? Haven't we learned from all of the crazy movies (both live action and animated) that this kind of tech stems from? When is enough, enough? People in power are dictating the direction we're headed in and apparently, they're not wrapped too tight. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're sane. Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you're mentally fit to lead the less fortunate. Gabe, Musk, anyone attempting to convince you to plug your brain into a computer or inject billions of nano-sized machines into your skull is NOT mentally well. They've watched waaaaaaaaaaaay too many movies, read too many comics and have an agenda that goes beyond trying to help mankind. This is some "other shit" and if you're willing to relinquish your privacy (meaning every thought in your damn head) to play a fucking video...you're a fucking idiot!

facebook is straight out of a sci fi movie as well, frankly it's more historically striking, because propaganda was the biggest weapon during the world wars.

yet it is running rampant, i don't see why this wouldn't happen either. People have it too good, it's only when it will have hurt a lot of people over the times, that people will start to revolt, or adjust lawmaking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Gabe will try anything, well except make video games, especially those with 3 in the title.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

All of this sounds meh to me.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@commander said:
@louixiii said:
@Archangel3371 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Telekill said:

facebook is straight out of a sci fi movie as well, frankly it's more historically striking, because propaganda was the biggest weapon during the world wars.

yet it is running rampant, i don't see why this wouldn't happen either. People have it too good, it's only when it will have hurt a lot of people over the times, that people will start to revolt, or adjust lawmaking.

Facebook is not hardwired into my brain. Facebook can not read and analyze my every thought and physically rewire my brain. This is NOT apples and oranges here. Facebook doesn't have jack shit on what they're proposing.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@louixiii said:
@commander said:
@louixiii said:

Facebook is not hardwired into my brain. Facebook can not read and analyze my every thought and physically rewire my brain. This is NOT apples and oranges here. Facebook doesn't have jack shit on what they're proposing.

No it turned the world into the ddr of the 80's where everyone can be a stasi operative and everyone a stasi target.

tapping into your brain would just be icing on the cake. The last place where you have privacy.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

What is he doing in New Zealand?

Oh and all the people who says Valve sits on their as$es doing nothing:

"We're working on an open source project so that everybody can have high-resolution [brain signal] read technologies built into headsets, in a bunch of different modalities," Newell said.

Who else does that and make it Open Source on top instead of proprietary.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Telekill said:

Of you will be hooking it once they put it out the door and then Sony copies it after numerous failures ala still trying to copy Valve's knuckle controllers and keep failing at that.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

The Riddler wants me to do what now? Anyways though... yeah.. VR still completely sucks ass. Let's try to get that right and then go from there.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@pc_rocks: Actually no. Even if Sony did it for PS6, 7, etc... I'm actually good with PS5 being the end of me being up to date with gaming. I'm damn near 40 years old and there are thousands of games for me to play and replay again. There are lines I won't cross and that's a pretty big one.