FPS is the most stale genre of the generation

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4468c0e04da
deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c4468c0e04da
Member since 2019 • 25 Posts

This genre is dead.

There's no innovation whatsoever, they're filled with the same archetypes of enemies and characters, all of those games are over the top, the gameplay is always boring and most of them lacks atmosphere.

The story is always about some random macho dude one man army. BORING.

No wonder that, apart from battle Royale, most fps are really flops.

People are simply bored with fps with manly men, nobody likes or care about this genre anymore.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Who's alt is this?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

I travel back to 2009.

this is 2019. lol.

open world RPGs and third person action games ala movie games are far more stale than FPS.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Who's alt is this?

Someone who doesn't like Sniper/Ghosts I'd assume.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@ghosts4ever: nope. There's nothing innovative on fps. All of them are the same: soulless gray games with macho dudes shooting and screaming like little girls and blood flying everywhere, boring enemies, boring AIs, no good story, gameplay sucks too.

It's the worst genre in all of gaming. There's nothing as bad as FPS.

I believe the Metro series is the Pinnacle of everything that is wrong with fps games.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Right, if we didn't have Escape from Tarkov, Ring of Elysium, Hunt: Showdown on PC, perhaps. There are great FPS games, just none on console.

Unless you're talking about single player, then yes, not many to really choose from; Doom was okay, Wolfenstein 2 was crap. Metro Exodus looks awesome, but that's like the only one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@DragonfireXZ95: I am a sole PC gamer, I don't like those peasant filthy consoles. And even on PC, fps games simply suck.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@no_flops said:

I believe the Metro series is the Pinnacle of everything that is wrong with fps games.

lol try harder.

Metro is by far best new franchise debut this decade. theres literally no game that can match its atmosphere.

althought DOOM 2016 is best game of this gen by far.

if anything is boring. its third person action games. everygame is batman or AC clones.

Metro exodus is innovative in a sense no other FPS combine linear and non linearity with this kind of atmosphere with unique gasmask system with deep storytelling.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Unless you're talking about single player, then yes, not many to really choose from; Doom was okay, Wolfenstein 2 was crap. Metro Exodus looks awesome, but that's like the only one.

Doom was not OK. its a freakin masterpiece. Titanfall 2 SP was also great. just as good as COD1 and allied assault was. or even better.

Prey is better bioshock than bioshock game.

Metro Exodus is not just one. Doom Eternal too when they both compete for best FPS this year.

slap Rage 2 too if it has potential. nothing spectacular but fun open world FPS by avalanche with slice of id software shooting.

the multiplayer side is just battle royale crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@ghosts4ever: metro is 100% garbage. One and done game with the same boring zombie monster like creature, uninspired world and characters, forced/boring and badly designed stealth segments, and the plot is simply utterly terrible, plus the color pallete and voice acting are really truly despicable. I've never ever played a game so bad as Metro.

DOOM is another boring filled with minters and repetitive gameplay, a failed comeback to an once good franchise. Artificial difficulty, bad mechanics.

I actually slept while playing DOOM, it sucks balls.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Did someone really need to create an alt to mess with ghost...? Pathetic....

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

This shit is hilarious. *grabs popcorn*

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@no_flops said:

@ghosts4ever: metro is 100% garbage. One and done game with the same boring zombie monster like creature, uninspired world and characters, forced/boring and badly designed stealth segments, and the plot is simply utterly terrible, plus the color pallete and voice acting are really truly despicable. I've never ever played a game so bad as Metro.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Metro games. But, you sound like you're just spouting off generic buzzwords. Be more specific about the parts of the games you found bad.

How about you? What specific games do you love?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

We have Dishonored, Doom, and Wolfenstein, but FPS is dead.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Go play Prey 2016.

I wish we had more good single player FPS games. Keep 'em coming.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Doom was not OK. its a freakin masterpiece. Titanfall 2 SP was also great. just as good as COD1 and allied assault was. or even better.

Metro Exodus is not just one. Doom Eternal too when they both compete for best FPS this year.

slap Rage 2 too if it has potential. nothing spectacular but fun open world FPS by avalanche with slice of id software shooting.

Oh yeah, Prey wasn't bad. I actually played through that entire game. Doom was meh; fun for a bit, but ultimately became the same boring combat scenarios over and over.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@ghosts4ever: hmm very vague description for movie game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Oh yeah, Prey wasn't bad. I actually played through that entire game. Doom was meh; fun for a bit, but ultimately became the same boring combat scenarios over and over.

Doom craps all over last gen FPS that is not STALKER. most of last gen FPS were COD4 clones

the combat intensity, the fast paced gameplay, the brilliant level design all make it best game this gen. Doom Eternal looks more and more crazy which is what FPS genre need.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SchnabbleTab
@saltslasher said:

Dishonored is on hold because it didn't do that well, Doom won't come to Steam and therefore won't do well on PC, consolers hate this kind of FPS so say goodbye to any Doom sequels and Wolfenstein? Lol, the last game flopped harder than your average Xbox "exclusive".

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Looking forward to doom eternal this year but that's about it halo probably 2020 those 2 the pinnacle of the genre.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

agreed-ish. prey was flawed but good. doom deserves more than meh but it definitely had its shortcomings. repetition and the restrictive environments being two of them.

@saltslasher said:

assuming when you say dishonored is a fps you mean first person stealth, because it's not a shooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@ghosts4ever: lol all of those games are really bad, they try to be epic but they utterly fail. I'm baffled by how the fps genre decayed. There's simply nothing really good in this genre, you can't name even one good game to play on this stale Macho dudebro's game.

FPS are for pussies that need a gun to feel like a man but in the end they're all crybabies. Worst genre ever.

Mario, RPGs, TPS, RTS, racing, and every single other genre shits all over the crap that fps is. LMAO fps are really garbage one and done game with no inspiration, good gameplay mechanics, characters.

It's simply floating guns LMAO. Total trash.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

agreed-ish. prey was flawed but good. doom deserves more than meh but it definitely had its shortcomings. repetition and the restrictive environments being two of them.

Repetition is sure a flaw but here in this case it may not. because its old school style shooter that mix modern elements.

its movement, pacing and combat put any other FPS to shame. especially after the huge invasion of modern military FPS starting from 2007s COD4. it was breath fresh of air.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Obviously, the guy has issues. So...... *YAWN*

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

FPS games have been shit for the last decade.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@Telekill said:

FPS games have been shit for the last decade.

what FPS you have been playing since last decade?

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

I mean FPS games have little room for innovation left, I will agree there.

But if we consider VR, then the FPS genre is as fresh as it's ever been. We're back in the 90s of throwing all sorts of ideas against a wall and seeing what will stick.

One of my favorites is Echo Combat, which not only feels unlike any FPS, it feels unlike any form of game or media.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think traditional FPS games are going to become a niche in 10-15 years. They will likely shift to VR where the genre can really reach new heights.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macutchi  Online
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Repetition is sure a flaw but here in this case it may not. because its old school style shooter that mix modern elements.

its movement, pacing and combat put any other FPS to shame. especially after the huge invasion of modern military FPS starting from 2007s COD4. it was breath fresh of air.

mechanically it's excellent, agree with you there. and it's nice to see you acknowledge that it may have flaws. great games can have flaws. i don't think i've ever seen you do that before

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SchnabbleTab

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

mechanically it's excellent, agree with you there. and it's nice to see you acknowledge that it may have flaws. great games can have flaws. i don't think i've ever seen you do that before

He literally said it's not a flaw in this case, lol. He didn't acknowledge a thing.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Then why is BAttlefield 5 and Cod doing well?

3rd Person Action genres are just as overdone.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Macutchi  Online
@SchnabbleTab said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

He literally said it's not a flaw in this case, lol. He didn't acknowledge a thing.

it's sure a flaw, but may not. i'll take that. it's progress ;)

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SchnabbleTab

@kali-b1rd said:

Then why is BAttlefield 5 and Cod doing well?

3rd Person Action genres are just as overdone.

It totally has nothing to do with hundred million dollar marketing campaigns and BR fad. Also Battlefield V flopped, lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Oy, ghosts is such an institution we have people creating alts to bait him

The_Old_Gods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Old_Gods
Member since 2019 • 9 Posts

@kali-b1rd: BF V is not doing well.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-5-and-fallout-76-have-failed-to-meet-franchise-benchmarks-according-to-superdata/

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SchnabbleTab

@the_old_gods said:

@kali-b1rd: BF V is not doing well.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-5-and-fallout-76-have-failed-to-meet-franchise-benchmarks-according-to-superdata/

No wonder, they both flopped hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@Telekill: agreed. The last good fps was half life 2. Everything after it is just garbage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@kali-b1rd: people always bought garbage, hence McDonald's. Fps is still trash shallow experiences as boring as a fast food.

This is it, fps is the fast food of gaming, one and done, garbage with a toxic fan base, stale with terrible gameplay, story and garbage color palette.

I'd much rather Mario, Zelda, any RPG or third person adventure than the garbage repetition that is the fps genre.

Have fun with your floating guns and macho dudebros.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Some interesting smaller games on PC. Many hearkening back to the 90's.

Quake Champions supposedly ended up very good.

-

As far as major AAA ganes? Yea, pretty dire. Been that way for a while. More interesting in get rich schemes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@SchnabbleTab: I put Dishonored cause I imagine people would say that first person camera games can't do nothing but basic CoD shooter, when we've seen quality non-generic shooter in first person adventures. I personally don't want just CoD shooters in first person, which is why I like Dishonored. And just like I don't want all my 3rd person games to be Ubi-Clones, which is why I enjoy Evil Within 2 and Nier Automata.

Obviously Doom and Wolfenstien 2 aren't the greatest games ever made, but people still liked them. I just don't think I'd use word "stale" or "dead", but I would say they are running out of new ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This is not new the FPS genre is one of the shittiest genre's out just behind the movie game genre :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I kind of think the third person shooter is the next logical step up from the first person shooter, but nobody is really making good use of the perspective. First person games are too restricted.

@no_flops said:

all of those games are over the top

I wish. I'd love it if shooters just let themselves go. The movement is always so simplistic and heavy. Let me run while shooting, accelerate (run button) in any direction, perform some crazy slides, stylish wall hikes, kicks, somersaults and Max Payne-style shootdodges. I don't know why everybody is so obsessed with authenticity now. It's boring.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SchnabbleTab

@saltslasher said:

@SchnabbleTab: I put Dishonored cause I imagine people would say that first person camera games can't do nothing but basic CoD shooter, when we've seen quality non-generic shooter in first person adventures. I personally don't want just CoD shooters in first person, which is why I like Dishonored. And just like I don't want all my 3rd person games to be Ubi-Clones, which is why I enjoy Evil Within 2 and Nier Automata.

I fully agree with that sentiment, I personally really enjoyed the Dishonored series.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

I kind of think the third person shooter is the next logical step up from the first person shooter, but nobody is really making good use of the perspective. First person games are too restricted.

@no_flops said:

I wish. I'd love it if shooters just let themselves go. The movement is always so simplistic and heavy. Let me run while shooting, accelerate (run button) in any direction, perform some crazy slides, stylish wall hikes and Max Payne-style shootdodges. I don't know why everybody is so obsessed with authenticity now. It's boring.

Honestly the thing that bugs me the most are the weapons.

If creative enough developers can come up with cool stuff like a gun that shoots lightning, or a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

Except for the longest time all we had were several clones of the same modern military shooter that all had AKs and M16s, it was boring.

We need more variety for sure.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@ezekiel43 said:

@no_flops said:

I wish. I'd love it if shooters just let themselves go. The movement is always so simplistic and heavy. Let me run while shooting, accelerate (run button) in any direction, perform some crazy slides, stylish wall hikes and Max Payne-style shootdodges. I don't know why everybody is so obsessed with authenticity now. It's boring.

F.E.A.R was a good example of this in 1st person, just not to the same extreme as Matrix moves.

I disagree about your 1st to 3rd person point. These give more freedom than you could manage with 3rd person game design:

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

For me Crysis what the last truly great FPS don't get me wrong DOOM 2016 and the new Wolfenstein games are good but there is to much hand holding and cutscenes. COD4 was the start of the dumbing down of mainstream FPS. Just look at pre FPS before COD4 and then after games like Crysis, F.E.A.R., and the Battlefield sequels all got dumbed down and lost their identify to appeal to the mainsteam COD4 fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: The first video, I feel like that would work better in third person, like it would be easier to navigate the environment like that if you had the wider view of the third person perspective and could see how your character is interacting with the world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@i_p_daily: movie games are fine, at least they try to do something, be that characters, story or gameplay.

Fps on the other hand are simply trash macho dudebros games where you simply go forward and shoot things with a terrible color palette

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@ezekiel43 said:

@blueberry_bandit: The first video, I feel like that would work better in third person, like it would be easier to navigate the environment like that if you had the wider view of the third person perspective and could see how your character is interacting with the world.

You literally wouldn't be able to do any of those interactions as animation systems don't work that way. You can't tune an animation to work in infinite ways which means you can't offer the same movement system or gun mechanics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5c4468c0e04da

@R4gn4r0k: the floating guns are utterly boring. They don't even try. Mass effect has better and more creative gun variety than shitty FPS games